Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Some great inspirational posts tonight!

Lilion -- I'M A HYPOCRITE TOO! I can't stop thinking about the scale. I haven't lost any weight in 3 months and just have to stop thinking about losing, and yet, I think about it all the time.

This place helps keep me grounded though!

Annie -- Loved thinking of you working those muscles and trying to figure out who you are. I remember when I first had those thoughts. I still wonder who this exercising, muscle building girl is...

Honestly, ladies, I'm at the point of wondering how in the heck I lost 100 pounds! I don't seem to have it in me to lose anymore... but I AM SO grateful for whatever strength let me lose it in the first place, and vow to do what I can so it doesn't come back!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #62  

Krista -- WELCOME!! I remember feeling the same way when I first found this place.

Brenda -- Love the new avatar!! But beware all that focus on the scale -- think about all the good you are doing your BODY with that exercise!!!!

(see, there I go being a hypocrite again!)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #63  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

thanks heather
It was one of the pics of my neice that I took on Saturday. She is too cute!

i know what I am doing is good for me... just seems like a LOT of work! *L*

Night!
B
going to lose 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Ammi: I won't take away from my self by saying anything negative on my exercise. Truth is, I'm very impressed by myself. I honestly didn't think I had this in me anymore. I used to go and go and exercise because I was having fun, swimming, roller skating, water skiing etc. Now, I want so badly to have that kind of fun again I am determined. Kick me if I loose this determination okay! lol.

Brenda: Yea! You are meeting your January goal. That is awesome. I know it makes me feel good to do that. About loosing weight. Don't stress it. You will loose more I beleive those machines don't take into consideration our size and stuff. You are doing amazing. Hugs.

Sandy: I am amazed at the difference My little free weights are making. I use them every single day since December. I love seeing some definition in my arms. lol.

KristaMarie: Welcome. I love this site and the ladies here. I felt the same way as you when I first came here. I never went on line for anything other than email and research and when my sister told me about this site I just felt so welcome and that for the first time ever there were other people who knew what I was going through and felt what I was feeling. I hope you love it here like I do.

Wyllen: Maybe if you went wayyyyy back in the forum post numbers and took the time to read some old post from the dates when you were really motivated and loosing it may help spark a fire in you again? Just an idea. Sometimes when we revisit feelings it is almost like we are experiencing them right then and there.

Well, everyone, I am off for the night. Cooked a lovely dinner of chicken, brocoli and yummy corn on the cob. I had to scrape the corn from the cob ,pain in the butt, it did taste good though. I counted every single point for my ww and I am totally on program. Sweet hubby has been asking for the corn on the cob because we got it fresh this summer from my dad's garden and froze it. It really was wonderful. I had to scrape it from the cob for my braces not because I didn't know how to measure it by the way. lol.
Blessings all,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #65  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Hi Ladies!
I somehow missed a whole day of threads and a post last night, so here i am. let me first begin by saying, CONGRATULATIONS, AMMI you are such an inspiration to everyone, and i am so happy for you
im having a fairly good week just working too much. tommorrow is my weigh in at work, and even though i have been 100% on plan, im still nervous(because of PMS) that i wont see a loss. Please send me some good vibes ladies
Im sorry i cant do personals tonight, but wanted to check in and congratulate ammi
Welcome to the boards, krista. you will love it here. where do you live in Ga? i live in south carolina.
have a great night everyone
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #66  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Sharon-I’m glad you are enjoying the posts. My husband is an advocate for the disabled and mentally ill. He was an Antarctic researcher whose career was cut short by disability, but he’s gone on to publish 50 books and 135 peer-reviewed papers. His specialty is “discovering” ancient comets by researching ancient writings. His dad is a retired medieval literature professor who can translate over 7 dead languages, and I have trouble with English. His most recent paper was on a comet from 593 AD written up in some ancient Japanese manuscript. So he is basically the world’s biggest nerd. One of his astronomy club friends made the Christmas present my husband gave me this year. It was a cross made out of a piece of a meteorite. Needless to say, all his friends are bachelors. They fill the house on Thanksgiving or New Years because half of them still live with their parents and have no where else to go. I’m in the process of trying to fix some of them up with the girls I sing with in the choir, but how do you explain a 40 year old man who still lives at home whose main occupation is playing Civilization on the computer. Sometimes I actually feel like a frat house mother. One of them called me ma’am the other day. Please.

Jill-Way to go. I knew you’d find your feet. I find it easy the first day or two to get back OP, and then I start having to white knuckle it for awhile. Sounds like that’s where you are at. When I get hormonal, my husband practically wants to stay at a friends house.

Katt-I had to remember that you’re in the middle of summer, while we are expecting it to get to -20 this weekend. I’d almost settle for a heatstroke, but I’m sure I won’t be saying that come July. Complacency is something that I also struggle with continually. The longer you have to be in the losing component of a diet the easier it is to fall that way. Consider the extra pounds as “tuition” in a really hard school. I’m happy your nephew is doing better.

Ammi-I know about that fear of being bed bound. I so close to never getting up again. I guess I was in bed 90% of the time. When you get you’re tummy tuck you’re liable to lose 10-20 more pounds just in skin. In some places they will use the skin for burn victims, but other places won’t because the skin has lost elasticity. Do they use the skin there in the UK?

Lilion-I was convinced that I would never have a real life, that I would spend the rest of my life a grotesque blob in a bed. I gained so much weight because in my mind I was still that young athlete. Now I’ve got the opposite problem. No matter how far I come, I still see that person I let myself become. I kick myself daily for letting myself backtrack during the first year of marriage. I know that is typical, but I just can’t give myself a break. When people tell me I’m inspiring, or so successful even though I still weigh more than they do, and I’ve gained more weight in the last year than anyone, I just want to scream. I’m a mud wallowing, trying to climb out of the muck, baby stepper, who’s trying to climb out of the quicksand. I crawl a bit, and then slide back. I just try to keep my head above water most of the time. I absolutely understand how you are feeling. My suggestion, that I had to use when I was really close to 100, is to quit weighing for a month. Instead of sweating every ounce, I weighed after 30 days, and then I was down 105. It took that pressure off. Just hang in there, and I will too.

Emily-I know what you mean about kids. I raised two foster sons, and tried so hard to keep them fit. I know I was an embarrassment, and I showed them horrible habits, but I just keep telling them to keep moving, eat right, and don’t end up like me. The oldest made Eagle Scout and is a Petty Officer in the Navy, and the younger one is a baseball prospect with a 96MPH fastball. I just couldn’t seem to work on me while I was taking care of them. I seemed to have time to take care of everyone but me. At least you are studying. That’s something for you.

Annie-Well, I doubt that we are ever going to have children. Considering our ages, and his disability, which is genetic, that would probably be a blessing. We are not really trying to have kids, but being Catholic, we aren’t trying not to either. We haven’t been doing anything, well we’ve obviously been doing something, but we aren’t charting or doing drugs or temps or stuff like that. The OB thinks that I’m just genetically predisposed to later fertility. My great-grandmother had her 12th at 48, my grandmother had her last one at 45, and my mom was 40 when I was born and had 8 miscarriages after that. As for them being royalty, that’s quite funny. We both live on small fixed incomes, and live in that part of town that people are afraid to come to after dark unless they are going to an Oilers hockey game. We have homeless living in the alley. I buy sacks of day old bread at the grocery store so I have something to hand out to run the gauntlet on the way home. We haven’t found any dead bodies yet, but we did have a guy with one leg sleeping behind the dumpster for awhile who wasn’t moving that we thought might have been. Every day we just try to live as healthy and as happy a life as we are capable of, and be grateful for what we have been given, and try to give back as much as we can. There are times that a feel grief for the woman I used to be, young, healthy, fit, in a career that provided a nice income and a lot of respect. I also realize that I am blessed not to be living in the alley eating out of the dumpster. I try every day to just be content with “enough.” I also love the feeling of my quad muscles popping as I walk down the street. When I upped my exercise, I also had to up my food. You’re body may be trying to tell you that, but we are so out of touch to listening to that part that actually knows when we are really full or not, that it seems like a foreign language. Revel in being able to hear it again instead of all the negative stuff.

Sandy-Wow, I’ll bet having that work stress off of you will really help everything else in life. You’re not a dork, I didn’t know what it was either. MBE means member of the British Empire. It means being recognized by queen and getting to be called sir. That’s about as far as I understand this award stuff. We don’t really do it in the states, so it didn’t mean anything to me, so I had to put on my best “how wonderful” face, and then look it up on the internet when he wasn’t watching.

Krista-Welcome, I hope you find what you need here.

Brenda-I still have over 7.5 million extra calories to burn to reach my goal weight. If you focus on the math, it will make you crazy. You only have to lose 1 pound. When you lose it, then you can worry about the next pound. In 2012 you are going to be 5 years older no matter what, you can be 5 years older and at your goal weight, or not. In my case, I know I have to deep trying or I won’t ever get to be 5 years older.

Wyllenn-Whenever I get low on energy, I make sure I’m getting enough essential fatty acids. Try subbing in a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into your calorie total for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Okay here’s my clipping on things to kick your metabolism into high gear from Alison Freehling, Daily Press, Newport News, VA.

#1 – Don’t skip breakfast. Without food in the morning, the body shifts into “starvation” mode and tries to save energy by burning fewer calories. It’s best to eat more food early in the day and end with a light dinner.

#2 – Eat small amounts, often. When you eat, your body has to burn calories for digestion. Aim for healthy meals or snacks every three to four hours.

#3 – Keep moving. Even if you do a hard daily workout, your metabolism will slow down if you spend the rest of the day sitting. Take short walks, climb stairs or – if you’re truly chained to a desk – fidget and stretch. (studies have shown that fidgeters are on average 30 pounds lighter than others)

#4 – Strength train. Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat. At least two or three days a week, add free weights or resistance training to your workouts. Note: Lifting small hand weights while watching television is a bonus.

#5 – Get your protein. The body has to work harder to digest protein compared to fat or carbohydrates. Proteins are the building blocks for muscle.

#6 – Get your vitamins. The nutrients in fruits and vegetables and multivitamins protect cell structures that convert food to energy.

#7 – Drink wisely. Water is key to the energy-burning process, while green tea appears to speed up metabolic rate. On the flip side, alcohol can make the body burn fat more slowly.

#8 – Get your sleep. With seven to eight hours a night, you’re much more likely to stay active during the day.

That’s it for me today. I’m headed to bed myself.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #67  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Phew...survived yesterday without any major food catastrophies. I did eat more then planned, but I stayed below 2000 calories, so no harm done. I checked in with my home scale this morning, and it says I'm only up 1 pound from what it was when I last weighed in at TOPS about 2 weeks ago, so that's good news (considering the way I've been eating for the past few weeks). Once I get rid of this pound, I can start really losing again

futurediva--don't be worried about TOM...if it does cause you to not show a loss this week, who cares? It will just show up next week as a BIG loss I'm dealing with the same thing right now (I have my TOPS weigh-in tomorrow and should really start TOM later today), and as annoying as it is, it's just a fact of life.

Catherine--hehe, I don't get very hormonal other than being a little crampy and having a seemingly unsatiable hunger for a day or two. Lucky for Jeff, I don't get much in the way of mood swings or extreme emotions.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Krista we are all struggling at some point BUT we're in it for life, to get our lives and health back on track - WELCOMExxxxxxx
Catherine I'd rather a 'geek' any day over a self obsessed preening bloke or a 'red neck'. It's a shame he can't get some kind of research grant or some work teaching! I personally find all that 'star' stuff & history of society & science FASCINATING! xxxxxx
Jilly great on only having one piece of cake, I would have refused then bought a whole one to eat myself at home!!xxxxx
I fell asleep so Aiden can't go to nursery, it was time for him to be there when I woke up! So we had a late lunch & I have to go & play dragons fighting tanks with him, lol! or whatever weird & wonderful game he's invented today. On a sh*tty note the scales are UP!!!!! I walked 60 mins fast yesterday, (my calves are still hurting!)and have been totally OP!!! GGGRRRR
Sandy, I'm so glad work has improved, I hope your old supervisor didn't take it too bad. You sounded so happy, I forgot what work troubles are like, it's been 6 years since I did paid work!! BUt it must be a real relief to get back to 'normal' I hope sd's issues can be resolved as quickly & easily!xxxxx
Well gotta go,
xxxsharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Not a lot going on here today, I have just been lazy, sleeping and catching up on emails etc. I read Catherines post where she said that it's not enough to just have a good work out a day if you spend the rest of it sitting doing nothing. Apart from cooking and a bit of housework, oh and going up and down the stairs to the toilet, I don't do much more activity wise. Not in the winter anyway. Roll on summer when I can go regularly for my beach walks!

To help with my activity I am joining a gym with Daren, I filled in all the forms and will take them on Friday. Once I get my discount pass sorted out then I will book an induction day and from then the fun begins To pay for the gym I am cancelling my SKY movies subscription. How's that for getting value for money, a healthy, fitter Ammi and Daren instead of couch potatoes watching movies!!

Brenda - thank goodness I am no good at math. Sitting down and working out just how much exercise it would take for me to get to my goal would just be too much for my brain. A good job too seeing as it would probably be very depressing!! Forget the math and just enjoy the way you are getting fitter, you even RAN on the how great is that

It's lovely to think that I am being talked about at your place of work and that the people were proud of my accomplishments. Tell them thank you from me

By the way, you are soooo close to hitting that 100 lbs lost yourself, it won't be long until we are all celebrating with you!!

Patti - I am sure you are trying to kill me off First you tell me that hubby is ok with you getting a Wii, and NOW you tell me he loves playing it himself!!! Ok who took your real husband and swapped him with this look alike

Sandy - glad things are so good in work again, and of course that you are staying OP. What day is your WI? whenever it is, let's hope you have shed most of that gain you had last time

Krista Marie - hello and I am so glad you found this place, you'll never meet a nicer, more supportive group of people. I know my success so far wouldn't have been possible if I didn't have my friends here to help me along the way!

Heather - are you happy with the way you look and feel now? If you are maybe you should only focus on maintaining rather than losing any more weight? It doesn't matter if the numbers aren't as low as they could be if you feel comfortable in your skin. I fully intend to stop losing weight as soon as I am happy with how I look and feel no matter what the scales say. I do hope it won't be for another 56 lbs though because I need to be that weight before I can have a tummy tuck

Annie - your posts now ooze how determined you are to lose the weight. Every time I read about your exercising I just want to go jump on the Gazelle again I will give you a virtual if you ever need it, but something tells me that you won't!!! You are on your way to 'freedom' my friend

Kymberly - thanks so much for the congrats at your WI, and lots of good :vibes:

Catherine - wow, wow and one more wow!! Your husband and his dad sure are impressive men. I was gobsmacked when I read the achievements of them both. I had to laugh about you not knowing what an MBE was and how you pretended you did when he told you he was up for one That's true love for you

Hmm, I don't know about my tummy skin being used for skin grafts, it's covered in stretch marks and scars, BUT my thigh skin could work! Yes as far as I know they use skin like that here too, they even harvest some from people who have died! Much nicer to get it from donations like mine when I give up this fat gut of mine LOL.

Jill - great news that you didn't go crazy with eating yesterday and that you had a good result on the scales. You won't be long losing that lb and then it's onwards and downwards

Sharon - it's got to be fluid retention, or TOM is due, there is no way with how good you have been that you have earned yourself a weight gain. I thought your WI was on Fridays, what are you even doing getting on the scales today?

Ok I have to go sort some laundry out now, so take care all and I'll be back later,

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #70  

Annie -- That's a good idea to read back my old messages. I even have a lot of them on the computer. But, if it's not enough, I'm really okay with that now. I still have to pinch myself that I am a size 12... I really never thought I'd attain that.

Catherine -- So funny you mention olive oil. I had some in the pasta dish I made last night and made sure to add a bit more because it felt right.

I am reminded again as I read all of our messages that we all need to remember that this is a long journey. Someone who only has 30-40 pounds to lose may be able to kick it into high gear and lose the weight in under a year. I think just about all of us will take years to get to our goal. And I think it's hard to be in "high gear" for an extended time, continually. We are more likely to have ups and downs. Problem is, we have struggles, but every struggle may be a reason to backslide and give up.

So, we have to remember that backslides and days off plan may be inevitable, but that we need to make those times temporary and get back to it. I think it's not the days off that are the problem, but when we let them linger.

I am at a place in my journey I don't think I really believed I'd get to. That makes it hard to motivate myself to lose more. I am okay being this weight for now. I think that as I get accustomed to being this weight I may choose to lose more actively. This is a part of my journey, and I guess I'm okay with not knowing where I'll end up. As long as I don't become too complacent, I think I'll be okay...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #71  

Ammi -- Yay on the gym!!! You'll have to tell us all about it. I am excited for you!

As for me, yes, for now I am simply pleased as punch about my weight and looks. Of course, there are still lots of jiggly parts and I can see lots of room for improvement. I think that's why my mind is not really focused on losing more. As long as I stay here and don't gain! I still write everything down most days to help me avoid complacency...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #72  

Greetings all!

It's WI day and, believe it or not, I'm feeling better. I have resolved NOT to freak out today...regardless of what the scale says. The whole 100 lb thing has gotten WAY out of hand. It's a wonderful, hard-fought goal and all of you who have attained it should be PROUD, PROUD, PROUD! (as should you ALL just for being here day after day) And when I get there, I will be too. But I recognise that it may take a few more weeks. Heck, it's taken me 23 months to get this far, what's one more?

I LOVE YOU ALL! I really do! I can't think of any other place on earth I could rant like yesterday and have people understand and not judge! to you all!

Catherine:
Quote:
His specialty is “discovering” ancient comets by researching ancient writings.
I am officially impressed by your choice in men! THAT is incredibly cool! I don't believe I've said congratulations on his award. I'm sure you are very proud. I wonder if you know how much we missed you here when you were gone? You were mentioned often and although I suspect we all figured you were taking a break during your newlywed phase, we all wanted you back and knew you would get back on track! We have faith in you!

Suchaprettyface: I love your screen name. This really is a wonderful, inspiring place you have found.

Heather: THANK YOU! You are one of our successes! It's nice to know that you understand and are still obsessing! That sounds bad, but I hope you know what I mean. It makes me feel normal if you are doing it when you have already succeeded!

Sharon: I'm not going to pretend that pound isn't dissapointing! but you have been ill, haven't you? I suspect your weight might do a LOT of weird stuff for a bit. Hang in there!

Ammi: I had to cringe when you said you were cancelling a movie subscription to pay the gym fees. In Oct 25 when we got our pups we did the opposite and quit the gym to pay for obedience school. We felt like we needed well-behaved dogs than we did the gym. Kicking myself now...it's not like the dogs are that well-behaved!

I'm out of time really to chit-chat and must get work done today. I am actually going to my doctor's office to WI today. That's where I started and I think it'll set my mind at ease to really know where I'm at weight-wise. So again - thanks ladies!!! Hugs to you all and apologies to those I am not responding to personally!!!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #73  

Ammi good for you for joining a gym! i will just have to use my Wii for my gym lol that boxing is a workout. yes i know what a shock that my hubby likes the WII too. i want him to get a racing game or something it for it!
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #74  

Okay. WI results. I went to the doctor's office and weighed on the SAME scale I started out weighing on 23 months ago. Turns out it weighs me exactly one pound lighter than the scale I've been using at the office.

SO - officially, I've got 2 more lbs to lose to hit 100. Which, I am now reminding myself, is only a stop on the journey and, when you get right down to it, no more important than 98 is today or 96 (97?) was last week.

Yeah, I don't really believe that. I still want my 100!

But from this point on I'm going to subtract 1 lb if I have to weigh at the office instead of going to the doctors.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #75  

wow way to go Lilion i am so proud of you and you should be reaching your 100 pounds nextweek how exciting!
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote