Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #46  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

Carter!!!!! - It is so good to have you back! And starting at around 200 pounds? That is a great place to start. By the time I got serious again last spring, I had regained to 263, only 15 pounds short of my highest. You are exactly right that we know how to do this -- and it starts by starting. Can't wait to start reading your daily posts again. Gonna be a great year.

Diane - The holidays are really, really hard. And the normal holiday challenges were compounded for you by your injury. But look at you. You had a slip-up, and now you're re-committed. So many people maintain commitment from January 1 to January 15. You have been committed the entire year, and are now re-focused that commitment. Like Carter, you and I know how to do this. You've been successful with the daily tracking, and will be again. Today's the day. As is tomorrow and the next day. We got this.

I weighed in this morning after my cruise. I am pretty much even with when I left - about half a pound down. Altogether, I'm okay with it. It's a testament to the whole "you can't outexercise bad food choices" truth, though. I made generally good food choices, and got tons of both intentional exercise (I was a regular in the gym and jogging track) and recreational exercise (climbing pyramids, snorkeling and swimming, walking through town, etc.), but I also ate two too-heavy meals and snacked too much on the ride home.

New day. New year. I got the left-over road-trip junk outta my house. I am stocked with healthier choices at work. I remain committed to my 1/2-marathon training schedule. And I weigh less now than I have since 2008. Another 12 pounds and I'll be down to what I have had on my ticker as my goal weight for about six years now. I know I see more than 12 pounds of fat on my frame that I would like to lose, but for now, I'm just going to try to focus on hitting the "I have no idea what I want my final weight to be, but I know I have more than 100 pounds of work to do, so 160 sounds good" goal weight I set so long ago. I am going to try to hit that by March or so, then make some longer-term decisions.

Ignoring the delicious-looking candy some well-meaning soul brought in to work today. In January, when work temptations were supposed to disappear as the country goes into its four-week commitment to health. And work is actually reasonable right now, so should have no problem sneaking out for my running. I am going to run a full 5K today. It's 3.1 miles, and I hit the 3-mile mark on Sunday afternoon on the jogging track. The treadmill might be tougher for me, but I know I can do this.

Have a great day, everyone!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #47  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Carter!!! Welcome back! So good to see your name today. And, you did pretty well while you were gone. That's not too bad of a gain, so you're on it! Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Laurie: You did awesome while you were on the cruise. It definitely could have been much worse, so kudos to you!

I didn't go to the gym today as I was feeling pretty achy and tired. I figured it is ok to ease back in to it. Not ok to ease back into being on track with food, and I've been good about that at least!! The scale showed a slight decrease this morning, so that's good. Nothing too big, but at least it was down some. I am anxious to get back to spin class. I just don't enjoy being on the treadmill like I do spin class.

Onward!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #48  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Hey everyone!

Finally settling back down around here after some craziness, some sickness, and unexpected out of town visitors. Still fighting with the scale after a little holiday bump, and leftover treats sitting around the house, but I'm getting it under control. The biggest problem I've re-developed after a week long free-for-all, was snacking after baby bed time. Now that all the treats are out of sight or just gone, it will be so much easier. I will be drinking some herbal tea in the evening if I'm getting snacky after putting the kiddo to bed.

Good news though! I've decided to reward myself for hitting 50 pounds lost (well, 48 so far) from my super highest weight, even though it's taken 2.5 years and giving birth, with a pair of running shoes and a Fitbit Charge 2. (Thanks mom and dad, and in-laws for some Christmas cash and gift cards!) I am serious about completing the c25k program... even though I am currently 280 pounds and I keep thinking "you're too fat to run!" I can do it. I did the first day, again, with almost no pain afterward. I *need* to do this. I am seriously craving that freedom of movement that being so heavy has taken from me. I am also eyeing a treadmill if we can swing it financially, to add to the basement gym. I refuse to cave on this. I finish my step bet challenge on Sunday, and Monday I start running and/or using the elliptical. I need the increased challenge, because an hour of walking - while I'm sure it's good for me - does nothing much for my heart rate or respiration.

So, this week's goals are get some good running shoes (I have a brand/style in mind) and stop snacking after baby bed time!

I hope you all are recovering well from the holidays.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #49  

Diane - I know we can't take things for granted, but I am super confident that you will do very well at getting your fitness activities back on track, barring any further injuries. It's something I have always admired about you. The food, though, seems to be more of a challenge. So, it seems like your trajectory is exactly what it needs to be. Easing back into the work-outs and keeping on track with food. I'm super excited to cheer you on as you progress.

Mandy - C25K is such a great program! I just officially "graduated" yesterday. I was supposed to run an actual C25K, but I just ran 5K on the treadmill yesterday. I started when I was about 25 pounds lower than you are right now, but I am also much shorter than you are, so our starting points are pretty much on par. It took me a lot of starts and stops and actually took me committing to my half-marathon training plan before I made it through, but I think your commitment will provide you with great results. Walking is fantastic, and I've always admired your commitment to that. But I love love love that I can run now. Slow as molasses in January -- but lapping my former pre-C25K self and loving that. I, too, have a Charge 2 Fitbit, and that helps me get all of my steps in daily. Hope you're able to secure that treadmill. I like to escape to the gym, but I am not tethered to a toddler any longer, so I know the value of an "in-home" option. I am excited for you and your commitment.

I ran my 5K yesterday on the treadmill. NOT an impressive run, but I finished it. Tomorrow, I start on C210K. It has intervals again, and I'm excited about that. But I'm also intimidated. It goes based on time, not distance, and assumes a 10 minute mile. I run slightly faster than a 12 minute mile. But I can afford the time. I had a training program that was based on distance, and that might be better for me. But I struggle so much with treadmills, and it's really too cold for my lungs (I have asthma) to run outside for a few months. So, I'm doing the c210K and embracing the progress.

I am on Day 2 of my No-Sugar January. I am struggling with feelings. I love the sugar so much. Confession: Though I have been successful at losing weight and my progress has been fairly rapid, my diet sometimes resembles the "Twinkie diet." I will decide I can have one small mini-candy bar (available in the ever-present candy jar), and end up eating five (or six or seven). Then, I will feel really sick to my stomach because all it has in it is sugar. And I know my calorie intake is too high. So, I may eat a slice of cheese or something to settle my stomach, but will essentially skip dinner because I've eaten so much junk. I don't do it often, but I need to save the sugar for occasions where I will actually enjoy it.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #50  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Good morning.

Thanks, Laurie and Diane, for the kind words. It's helpful to remember that I could have done worse - that I have done worse in the past, had gained weight faster than I did over the past 2 years. I'm also glad to discover I'm right at 200, because it means that getting below 200, the first milestone and quite an important one, will be relatively easy and quick.

Anyway, I'm humbled. Looking at my old posts, I used to deal out quite a bit of advice. When I was mostly maintaining a 120-lb loss, perhaps I had some standing to do that. Now I feel rather different, and want to shut up and listen for a while.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #51  
Diane

Mandy: Loving your attitude about it all. I think it is great that you want to take care of this now. Waiting until you are older just makes it harder, and then you look back and wish that you would have done it sooner. Glad you're tackling it now. I can't remember how much I weighed when I did C25K, but I think if you work through it, you'll be fine.

Laurie: I downloaded C210K, but I haven't started it yet. I am not worried about making any certain time, but I do like how they build up and you can work through the levels. I hope to start it soon.

Carter: I remember your great advice from back then. You are definitely capable of giving positive words!!

I went to work out this morning. It seemed to go pretty well, but now my back hurts some. I hope that it isn't from that. I was hoping to gear up a little more too. Tired of babying this!! I'm doing pretty good with staying on track for food. It seems hard to get it back, but trying to train my stomach to be satisfied with less!! Ha!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #52  

Just doing a quick check-in to say -- Sugar-free January is HARD. Especially at this time of the afternoon.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #53  
~*Mandy*~

Fun thing: I downloaded the app "Charity Miles" for my phone, and it uses your phone's GPS or pedometer feature to log your walks/runs and the sponsor will donate to the charity of your choice (out of 37 available) based on the distance you walk/run (or bike outside with gps). So far, I've logged 10 miles and split it between National MS Society, and Operation Smile. I like it. I even started a team (that literally means nothing except I started a team) called @GetUpAndGo for the fun of it. It's pretty nifty.

I did an hour or so of walking today and I felt totally fine. I later did just 6 minutes on the elliptical and felt like I was going to die. I guess it's good that I'm stepping up my exercise game, because I need it!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #54  

Carter - I agree with Diane. Losing a battle (or in your case, I would say it was more like breaking even) does not mean you have lost your expertise in how to win this war. Weight control is not a one-and-done thing. If you win the state championship one year and lose the opening match the next year, that's a setback, not proof that you are not an expert chess player. I have internalized your advice so deeply on some issues that I don't always even credit you. When I was on my cruise ship, I ate the Oysters Rockefeller (at least some of it) because it was a rare opportunity. I chose not to even go to the breakfast buffet because nothing there would be unique enough to justify eating it just because it was available. I think this attitude came from something I read from you -- that it's not necessary to eat the cookie because it's there. I will have other opportunities to eat cookies. I am so glad you're back, and hope that you do not hesitate in sharing your wisdom. None of us is where we want to be, but I know I prize reading what everyone on this thread has to say.

Diane - Woot on the food discipline! That's the hardest part, and the most important part. Glad you're getting back into the gym, too, even if it's frustratingly slowly. Just hope that back injury heals completely, and heals soon. Sounds like we're both about ready to leap in the C210K. I am excited about doing it with you.

Mandy - I love the idea of Charity Miles. I am going to look into that. Our high here today is going to be in the negatives, so I am not doing much walking outside, so I probably won't log many GPS-trackable miles any time soon. But something is more than nothing. I still park far enough away from my building that it takes about 700 steps to make it inside, so I guess that's something.

Really glad I have made the "sugar free January" commitment. It is a good reset for me, and a good reminder that I can continue to say no to foods that have been in my face for days. (You may think that a 3-day-old treat would lose its appeal because it's getting stale, but only if you don't know the extent of the crazy in my head that screams for me to consume that treat for the entire three days.) I have been watching the box of candy someone brought in on Tuesday morning slowly decrease, and only my commitment to "sugar free January" has saved me. I also threw away the leftover pie in my fridge, and am consuming fewer calories overall as I increase the number of nutritious calories I consume.

First day on my C210K app. Jog for 10 minutes. Walk for 1 minute. Repeat four times. I cannot wait to tackle it this afternoon! I am pleasantly surprised at my own enthusiasm.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #55  
one choice at a time

Good morning.

Laurie, I appreciate your comments. Some of the notions that used to be my refrains - to pass up eating opportunities when there is nothing particularly special about them, or to stick to plan one choice at a time - are even helping me this week as I get back into my groove. In another week or two I will need to consult my own wisdom about patience and weight fluctuations.

For now, though, I was happy to dip below 200 this morning. When I got on the scale on Jan 1, I was expecting worse than I got - I was expecting between 205-210. I'm very grateful that it wasn't that bad. Every time I get below 200 I want so much to never, ever see that number again. Will this be the time? I hope so.

For both you and Diane, best of luck with the 10k and 5k training. I did a C25K program earlier this year, and found it very satisfying. One thing I really appreciated about it was that I could repeat a day or week any time I wanted to. And I did, when I needed to. It was good for pushing myself but not pushing myself so much that I broke, or that I started to hate running.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #56  
Diane

Mandy: Cool idea on the walking for charity. Gives you extra motivation to keep walking!

Laurie: Yeah, I have to kind of work back into running, but I thought that having a set plan of using the C210K would help keep me moving forward. I don't really care about actually running any more races, but I'd like to be able to make it that far.

Carter: And there you go! Back under 200. That's awesome! Glad you're back here. I love seeing your coffee drinking smiley face!!

For me, I didn't go to the gym this morning. We had quite the storm yesterday, even to the point that we were sent home early. A drive home that normally takes 20-30 minutes took an hour and 15 minutes. I decided that I didn't need to fight the ice and cold just to get on a treadmill or elliptical. But, it has been a good first week. Just need to keep on track through the weekend to keep on a good food plan.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #57  
~*Mandy*~

Laurie - You can set it to indoor walk/run (pedometer) and it will track your indoor walks/runs! That's how I've been doing mine, mostly. Since it's been low teens and single digits here with negative wind chills. And the snow.

Carter - I was that way earlier this year, only it was 300 instead of 200. I will do a little dance if I ever get below 200!

Diane - We had some yucky winter weather here yesterday, too. But I couldn't use that as an excuse seeing as my gym is in my basement!

Yesterday was good, and I'm finally seeing some of the water weight come off! I still have a pound to go to hit my pre-holiday free for all, but it is coming off, so that's something to be happy about. I got my armband to keep my phone in when I'm exercising, and I'm still figuring out the best way to wear it. I also got some good gloves with the fancy finger tips so I can use my phone with them on. I got one of those fleece headband/ear warmer dealies, and a nice warm hat. My new Fitbit will be arriving today. I was supposed to go get my running shoes today, but weather didn't cooperate so we'll probably wait until Monday when the high is forecast above freezing to go out. I'll just do elliptical work until then.

I have my food planned out today, and I managed to not snack after baby bed time last night, though it was tough going for a little while. It's crazy how easily it is for an old habit to come back even after weeks of staying away from it. So hard to break it again when you've allowed yourself to go back to it for a few days. So, yay for getting back on track!

Stay warm!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #58  
one choice at a time

Good morning all.

There is something satisfying about the first week back on plan after being in complete hedonism mode - I always shed a few pounds of bloat very quickly. So after weighing in at 202 the morning of Jan 1, this morning I am already down to 198. I will enjoy this while it lasts, because soon - as soon as next week, I will be in the familiar drop-bounce-hold cycle that has always dominated my weight loss. That is, I shed 2-3 pounds quickly, bounce back up by 1 or 2, and then sit there, or fluctuate there, for about 3 weeks before repeating the cycle. Have you observed patterns like this?

This pattern is the main reason another of my refrains is that plan success is best measured in months, not days or weeks.

FeraFilla - Getting new gear is fun and provides a nice little motivation boost doesn't it? I love running or walking outside when the whether is crisp and cold. In fact I love cold weather - not so much the damp kind of cold that makes your bones ache, or winds that bite and sting, but crisp cold sunny air, I do love it. When you have the right gear for it, I find, being outside in it is very pleasant.

Good luck and good strength to all, today.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #59  
~*Mandy*~

Carter - I love being out in the cold, too! But when the cold hurts my face, it's just too cold. (Current temp here is 8 degrees with a windchill of -5 lol). If it was 38 I'd be okay to go outside in it, but single digits with negative windchills is just *too* cold for me even though I'm naturally insulated to handle the cold weather. As for weight loss patterns, I seem to have 2-3 days of decent losses, then 2-3 days of hovering around the same weight, then another 2-3 days of drops. With occasional bounces up for water retention during TOM and ovulation weeks.

So, this morning my husband was wonderful and took care of the baby so I could sleep off my nyquil hangover. I was feeling pretty crappy last night. All congested and sneezy with a bit of a sore throat and a cough. Nyquil works really well for me, but it also knocks me out for a solid 12 hours. When I weighed in this morning, I was back to my pre-holiday craziness weight. So a week's worth of craziness, plus a few days of "why are all these snacks here, go away!" munchies, took me a week to shed. I know it was mostly water weight, but the early week issues of snacking around bedtime didn't help with that. I always retain water if I eat carbs before bed.

Still feeling a bit under the weather, and drinking lots of hot tea with (measured amounts!) of raw honey to help with the sore throat, and taking care of the little one who got some of the yuck too. He doesn't seem to be too badly affected by it though. I'm getting my exercise chasing his snotty nose lol. He just wants to play! Tough little dude. He's congested with a runny nose and some coughing, but no fever. Tis the season.

I hope you all are having a good weekend!

Last edited by FeraFilia; 01-07-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #60  
one choice at a time

Good morning kids.

My scale was having a laugh this morning - or maybe there was a piece of cat litter caught under one of its feet - because it told me 197 (after having shown me 198 yesterday) on the first reading and then after that stubbornly refused to give me anything but 200. So, 200 it is. If the "true" number is less than that it will show up soon enough. And I can't really complain, as it's only been a week back on plan.

But it has been a full week now, and I have stuck to it like glue, and that in itself is an achievement, because it's not something I've managed to do for quite some time.

Yesterday I indulged by spending the entire day - literally the entire day, except for some walking - working on my leisure project, and I shall pay for it today with a long list of chores I now need to do plus some catch-up work on the actual day job. Change the cat litter, take out the trash, shovel out the car, grocery shopping, pick up my partner at the airport, cook some food for the week... some of this stuff obviously could not have been done yesterday but some of it could have, and I'm kicking myself a little for the indulgence. Alas.

Good luck and good strength to all today.