Old 02-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #151  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Good morning threadies.

I am pleased that it is the weekend. I've got a lot to do at work these days but right now I'm not at a stage where I have to work during the weekend. And now I have weekend stretching before me without much planned - I might see a friend, if the weather permits, and I have a chore or two to do around the house, but mostly I plan to do research for my novel, and write a little too.

Next weekend, which is a long weekend, a friend of mine has arranged a wee retreat for the two of us, in which we will hole up in a cabin in the woods and write. I suspect that will be a bit of a challenge, food-wise, but project-wise, it should be delightful.

As for weight, I was all the way down to 191 yesterday but have, not surprisingly, bounced back to 192 today, so I'm leaving my stats where they are. KayG, I mentioned my whoosh-bounce-hold pattern, and I think I'm entering a hold now. I'll let you know how long it lasts. It usually is anywhere from 5-10 days, depending upon my current weight (the less I weigh, the longer it takes). But I'm glad you're seeing those two pounds come off again. All the hard work you are doing will pay dividends, even if they don't show immediately - all the miles you put in this week do count, even if the many other factors that determine your weight at the 0.4-pound level are conspiring against you right now!

Diane, keep at it - so glad you are starting to feel better. I am looking forward to hearing about you fully healed and shredding your workouts.

Vladadog, I remember when I first lost from 275-225, which took nearly a year from 2009-2010, I was so frustrated by how little it showed. There's a story I have told on 3FC a few times, where a guy from my team at work lost exactly the same amount of weight at about the same time, and everyone was fawning over him, and I got almost no notice at all. But a switch flipped about 10 or 20 pounds later - my whole body suddenly changed, and I looked really different. It's weird how it works, isn't it?

Be well everybody. I'm going to go take a walk out to my favorite coffee shop to write in, about a mile and a half away. I have to get there early because it's right next to a university and fills up with students by midday.

Last edited by carter; 02-11-2017 at 08:44 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hey Guys,

Well, I made it through the dreaded first 3 days which are always the hardest-- hungerwise. The first night it was so weird that I actually woke up in the middle of the night because I was hungry! (that's a new one for me!) I had developed a really bad pre-bedtime food routine-- I guess my stomach was just shocked that I was asleep and it wasn't full. I'm not being super-strict on calories. I was really in a bad food bingeing mode and so just cutting the crap and sticking the healthy meals is a good start. Luckily, the scale rewarded me this am with a 2lb drop.

KayG Ugh. So frustrating when you should be going down but aren't. And weird how we all have these patterns. At least for me, knowing that I the weight drops never feel logical helps to move past it. You're doing great!

Diane I think I missed what was going on with you. Injury? Glad you are doing better!

Vlada So terrific that you are down 40! I know what you mean about people not noticing though. I reminds me of my daughter who just cut her but length hair to just below her shoulders and nobody noticed. She was all disappointed-- but I think it's because it was still below her shoulders-- even in a foot shorter! It seems like it's like that with weight too-- people really don't notice until you're just half yourself!

Carter Holing up in a cabin in the woods sounds divine! I know myself that when I'm really immersed in work I usually eat less... Distracted!

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #153  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

KayG: Oh, those scales. It is enough to drive you crazy. Keep going and I think you will be rewarded soon!!

Carter: Wow! Getting away in the woods would be so awesome! It may be just a time that you sacrifice in terms of food to benefit in terms of writing. How cool!

Uber: I totally get that. Just getting to where you are breaking bad habits is a good way to start. Then you can look at cutting calories. I think it is a smart approach. So you know, I had a back injury and it has been going on for a few months now. It has knocked me out of my workout routine completely, so I'm very much over it.

For me, I am doing much better. I was able to do a lot over the weekend, and got a lot done without lots of pain. I think I'm finally in recovery. I have an appointment on Wednesday, but I'm going to ask if that can be it. I really don't want to keep spending the money, either.

I had planned to go back to spin class today, but my daughter's car is still in the shop. I needed to get her to work, so I skipped it. I am going to skip my Body Pump class tomorrow, just because I want to make sure I'm ok to go back to it. I don't need a set back. So, this week isn't my week to get back to it all, but I can see the time coming, so that helps.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #154  

Good morning, everyone!

It is so good to be back and checking in with y'all. I suppose I could check in with my phone, but I never seem to, and I don't really use my personal laptop much anymore.

Uber - I am so glad that you are checking in regularly now, and super excited you made it through the 3-day crunch. It is really, really hard to move from binge mode to on-plan mode, and I am probably 1000-to-1 in my unsuccessful-to-successful attempts to do it. But you know what? So long as we keep getting up, we are always winning, and you are now winning! I am doing a version of a VLC diet, and it is both tough and very helpful, as being at a lower weight makes it easier to exercise regularly and remember why going low-calorie is worth it. I would also second Carter's sage advice. If you get discouraged, you should read Uber posts. I know I do, from time to time. They are insightful, encouraging, and can really help me stay on target.

Diane - Glad that you're still on the mend. Sorry that you're on the treadmill work-out regimen. Ugh. But at least you're in the gym, and you're healing. Super impressed that you have the calories under control. You know as well as the rest of us that the scale doesn't always necessarily register progress. But it can be super frustrating nonetheless when it doesn't. Thank you for your continuing encouragement in my running. Can't wait until you get back to yours. I have long been inspired by your fitness zeal. Oh - I just saw that you ninja'd me! SO happy to hear that you're feeling like you're in recovery, even if scheduling has brought challenges.

Carter - A writing retreat sounds heavenly! I don't know about your friend and what she tends to eat, but that is actually an environment where I can thrive. So long as I have sufficient healthy(ish) foods available and not a lot of junk around, I do pretty well about focusing on the project and staying away from the crap. But when I have to negotiate someone else's food needs, it gets a little trickier. I am so thrilled for you, though, on your fantastic rate of loss and your continued stay in "honeymoon" mode. Maybe it will last until you've shed all of the weight, and sticks around well into maintenance mode.

KayG - Check you out with your lots of walking and your absolute determination to stick to plan. No wonder you're having so much success, even if it's accompanied by a bit of soreness. I failed on my Sugar-Free February goal, but I am going to do a three-day sugar moratorium starting today. It should be easier now that my guests have gone and I am back on routine. But I am going to think of your example when I pass the brownies that my coworker very kindly brought in, and know that I don't need that brownie. Not today. There will always be brownies if I ever really need one. Right, Carter?

Vladadog - Congrats on the huge progress you've made on your restart! I know exactly what you mean, though. I had lost about fifty pounds before anyone noticed. Then, it became the only thing people wanted to talk about. Both are frustrating, IMHO. Also - get rid of the jeans! (You'll find I'm a bit bossy. But I never take offense when people blow off my unsolicited advice.) It feels so much more comfortable (and makes it easier to walk for longer, etc.) to just go to a thrift store and buy clothes that fit. Or at least fit better. At 227, I imagine you'll have way more options at the thrift store than I did at 263.

Just got back from a little get-away with the hubs. Overall, it was a great trip, but I am worried the weight loss thing will cause conflict forever between us. I wanted to run outside, and he balked at either going with me or giving me the time to do it. He gets a bit insecure and talks himself into believing that I want to exercise to get away from him. But guess what? I don't ever like being with anyone 24/7. I need some space for myself sometimes. Then, he wanted to eat at very expensive restaurants, and after two days of this, I couldn't do it anymore. I don't eat enough at a single meal to justify a $50+ price tag. Finally, he told me that my boobs have gotten too small and my butt is now bony. Ummm.... when is a D cup "small?" And my butt is so disproportionately large (and always has been) that I always have a waist gap between my pants and my waist. And you know what? By our third date, I had told him that my weight has always been variable, so if he needed his significant other to be either fat or thin, he would need to be moving on because my weight will never be any of his business.

Okay. Sorry for the rant. Glad to be back! Glad to see everyone is doing well (or at least improving). February, baby. Soon enough, our days will be filled with glorious sunlight!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hey everybody

So, down 3 to start. I'm doing pretty well. Not bingeing and not obsessively counting calories, basically working on the reset to break the fact that I was really just in a bad place before.

Carter and Laurie How funny that you read my old "uber' posts! It really is weird because I genuinely did think I had a handle on the whole thing between 2008 and 2012 and then things really came apart for me.

Laurie and Carter You guys both inspire me a lot!! I got to where it just seemed so hopeless and like I had FAILED and that failure was a permanent state-- so it's fantastic for me to see you guys fighting and WINNING.

Diane Sorry to hear about your back! You are so diligent about working out-- it must have been so frustrating to be injured! Glad to hear that you are almost better.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #156  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Laurie - funny you mentioned the jeans. I always wear Levis 560s (classic mom jean types, high waisted, uncool but after trying so many jean brands and styles these are the ones i like best and I'm comfortable in my uncoolness...). I had ordered a "new to me" pair off eBay. They fit tight but wearable (3 sizes down from my other pair). But i definitely had the muffin top happening, too. So I ordered another pair this time only 2 sizes down and they fit dandy.

I got rid of all my fat jeans and intermediate sizes back when i lost all my weight the first time but as i gained weight back i saved the jeans i was wearing at my lowest. I look forward to wearing them again. And I sure hope to someday trade them in on an even smaller pair!

I was only down 1 pound this week but at least i was down!

You guys inspire me! We can do this. And make it stick this time!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #157  

Good morning! So glad to see this thread so active!

Vladadog - Woot on new (to you) jeans that fit! And I love that you have ones that fit now, and two sizes that will fit (one soon, one a bit later). I actually got really tired of going to the thrift store, and just bought two sizes of black pants (my work uniform) and jeans so that I didn't have to worry about trying to get to the store when the current size got too loose to be comfortable. Yes, it's an annoyance to always have to buy new clothes because they just keep getting so loose. =) JK. It's a terrific problem to have, and I hope you and I continue to have it until we park at the perfect weight, never to gain or lose another ounce.

Uber - I'm almost embarrassed to admit how often I read old 3FC posts. It's usually when I'm in the mindset of "this is impossible," or, almost worse, "I am the only one who struggles." I know both of those things are lies, but it doesn't stop them from being overwhelming. Thank you for contributing your wisdom and your struggles to the collective knowledge. So glad to hear you've made it through the first day struggles and that the scale is rewarding you for it.

KayG - You so hit the nail on the head with the body issues. I was a DD before, and I'm really okay with having shrunk to a D. But I need good bras because I got a whole lot of stretch marks and some sagging going on. And the boobs aren't the only place it is happening. My stomach, my thighs, my upper arms -- lots of extra skin. I hope that as I continue to weight train and as my body gets used to the new weight, some of this will resolve itself. But I am absolutely planning on getting a tummy tuck, as I have had the stomach overhang ever since I had an emergency C-section, and I have always hated it. I have lost over 100 pounds in the last ten months or so and am appreciating the new sizes (normalish), my "hourglass" shape, the things my body can now do, etc. But I will never be a swimsuit model, and don't need to be. But I also don't need anyone (especially the only person who sees me naked) talking about my physical imperfections. And a pox on those yellow Reese's eggs! But at least they're only seasonal! A twist on Carter's mantra - You only have to fight them for a few months. Sixty days, to be exact. (Is that helpful? I'm not sure it's that helpful.)

I am trying to get caught back up at work, so I didn't leave for my afternoon run yesterday. Instead, I got in early, worked through lunch, and stayed late. But it was so nice outside that I couldn't justify complaining about the treadmill for so long and not taking advantage of the weather. I have a route by my house that hooks into a gorgeous walking trail, but involves a pretty steep, sustained incline about 3/4s of the way through. I decided to run it. I turned on my Charity Miles to track the run, turned on my timer, and started jogging. I could not believe how much I did not want to do it. I actually decided to turn around, but only after getting the steps I needed to meet my 11K/day step goal. It was not nearly as physically challenging as it was mentally challenging, but I did it. I ran 4.27 miles in 49:57, a pace just under 12-minute miles.

I also finally did an "official" weigh-in this morning. 161.2. A little commitment plus a little luck, and I will soon be under my ticker goal. I was actually advised to try to drop about fifteen pounds below where I wanted to maintain, and I may try that, so I still have a lot of weight to lose. I may revise my ticker goal to 140 or so, then again to 125ish. Right now, I think I want to maintain at about 140, but I also don't know what I will look like at 140 or how I will feel or what it will take to maintain that, so it's just a random guess. It's just crazy that I am, after so many years of losing and regaining and losing and regaining, close to hitting the ticker goal that I set four or five years ago.

Have a great day, everyone! We can do this, Vladadog. And we can make it stick this time!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #158  
Diane

Laurie: Glad you are back! Missed your posts! And congrats on the new low weight! I'm very proud of you and your commitment.

Vladadog: I am with you on getting the higher waist jeans. But, I am a mom, over 50, so it is all ok. You'll be at those smaller jeans before you know it!!

Uber: You're doing it! Getting back on track!

KayG: My Easter nemesis are the Cadbury mini eggs. Cannot buy those little gems, or I will eat the whole bag...

Doing well with my back and I'm looking forward to going to the PT appt. I'm thinking that I'll be done, so I hope I'm not disappointed. I didn't go to the gym today. I woke up with a raging headache, so I'll skip it now until Thursday. Hopefully back to doing my regular workouts. I am so anxious to getting back to my routine!!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #159  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hiya Vladadog! I remember you! and you're right, this really IS the best place to get re-motivated!

I'm happy to report I'm down 15 of the 17 regained and feel back on top of things. It helps that a group of people I know do a "no sugar challenge" starting New Years Day, we all put in $$ and the last person standing wins it haha if it's a competition i'll win it !! I can go longer without sugar than they can without booze LOL

thanks for all the motivation everyone, I love reading what everyone has to say!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #160  

Good morning!

Trazey - You came. You fought. You won. Congratulations on having your slight regain well under control!

Diane - Are you kidding me with the headache? You deserve to catch a break on the physical challenges. Really glad you're continuing to heal, though. Can't wait until you're tearing it up again.

Celebrating my husband's birthday, so there will be cake this evening. But -- I feel good about acing the rest of the day, and then enjoying a small piece of cake. My Fitbit died during my workday, so I had to run last night instead of strength training to get my 11K step goal. I have not failed to hit my 10K (which I raised to 11K about a week ago) since January 3. I wasn't going to mess up on that streak. So, I only got in a bit of strength training.

My goals today -
* Do some minor strength training throughout the workday - like some push-ups, wall-sits, planks, etc.
* Do intervals at a higher pace.
* No sugar until the cake

Hope everyone has a great, productive day!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #161  
Diane

Trazey!!! Congrats!!! That's kicking it back into place. I'm happy for you.

Laurie: Yeah, I know. I should be wrapping up all of these physical issues! Maybe it all comes at once and then I can be left alone. Good for you on the step challenge and the running. I'm impressed with all that you do.

For me, I went to physical therapy and it looks like I am done with that for now. We talked about all of the stretches and strengthening I can do, and it looks like I can keep it going on my own. He said I can get back to workouts, with a few exceptions. I'm not supposed to do any lifts above my head as that might pinch down the nerves and cause tightness. On the bike, I need to raise the handlebars so that I'm not too hunched over. I can do that. I'll take it easy and start again with lighter weights. I don't want to get impatient and rush things. I can't go back to this again. I'm planning to go to the gym tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'll go back to Body Pump until next week. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. I hope to get back to running again, too.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #162  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Trazey ! another name I recognize. I remember your "Canada, eh?" sig under your Avi. I'm only 30 miles south of the border although it's Quebec not Ontario so it's more "oui" than "eh" here....

Uber - did you move to La-La Land in the 2010-2011 time frame?

Laurie - I'm so thrilled with my new jeans! I envy your 11,000 steps. Right now I'm only trying for 8000 and having trouble reaching that reliably. But I know I'll work my way up to it. Winter is hard (shoveling snow and carrying firewood burns calories but my fitbit doesn't reflect the sweat I work up while doing it....) plus sitting by the woodstove is just so nice. But I''m working on motivating myself. I know if I get up and start walking more I'll want to keep walking more. It's that getting started part that is hard. But I can do it! I know I can!

I'm doing great with the no-sugar, no junk food part of relearning good habits. Right now I'm actually having trouble getting enough calories. 1200 is a high day for me and I know that's too few even if they are all really good calories. (I've been having gallbladder issues and can't have anything with much fat or a lot of anything at one time... two weeks till bye-bye gallbladder. I can't wait!). I feel like Spring will be a new me!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #163  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Good morning all

So... I weighed in at 190 yesterday and again today so I think I can say it's real. That's -12 lbs since January 1, much, much better than I had any expectation this would go. I am, again, enjoying it while I can, knowing that the hard slog is coming. And I can feel it and see it, too - I keep catching my reflection and saying "huh!" I'm wearing my blazers more. I'm going to need to buy a new necktie.

Another reason I am pleased: My doctor has told me that for my build and my age, 180 is a perfectly fine maintenance weight. That would leave me plump and matronly. There is nothing wrong with plump and matronly, of course, and it's nice to have a doctor who understands that it's all right for a middle-aged woman to be so. I want to maintain considerably below that - probably more in the 160-165 range, I'd say, based upon how difficult I found it to maintain in the 150s when I was there. But still, knowing I am within just 10 pounds of a weight that is A-OK with my doctor is pretty darn groovy. (She has been a wonderful cheerleader over the years, impressed with my weight loss and relative success keeping it off.)

Here is a regainer-specific question and thought. Every time I have crossed milestone weights, like 200, I always think "Let that be the last time I ever weigh 200 pounds again." I really don't ever want to see 200 again. Once I lose a little more I will feel the same about 190. Then, it seems, the dreaded regain hits, and I find myself staring down these weights again, and again saying "never again!" Do you struggle with this feeling? I want it to have some meaning when I say "never again." I want it to stand and remind me when I am on the way back up - "Remember, carter, remember how you felt leaving 200 behind? Remember how you said it was the last time? Don't make a liar out of past-carter." I want to harness this feeling and use it to keep the weight from coming back on, this time.

All right - I hope you will forgive me for skipping personal comments this time - I have to head out to a funeral this morning, for a friend's father, and it's 2 hours away. But I love seeing you all here, our recent regulars and Uber, Trazey, and Vladadog especially. You are all sticking it and it's great to read your thoughts and your progress and even your struggles. Finish the week strong!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #164  

Good morning!

Carter - Woot on your fantastic success and being within range of your doctor's recommendations. As for your "I'll never see [insert number] again," the reality for me is that I almost never see it on the way up. The last time I lost significant weight (2ish years ago) and hit 189, I remember being determined not to go back up over 200, even if it meant maintaining at 190 for a while. And I did fight for it. But then it got hard. And I knew I was gaining weight, but I just started wearing my "looser" clothes because they were more "comfortable" until it became apparent that I couldn't even put the smaller clothes on. Those are not the times that I am on the scale. It's not like I just give up the fight. But I start to feel hopeless, and I have more "bad days" than good ones, and then the weight just starts to balloon. And it happens fast for me. That's perhaps why I am the official drama queen of this group. Whenever I feel myself slipping on controlling my food intake, or just really wanting to skip the gym for a couple of days in a row, I tend to hit panic mode. It does not take very many of those days for me to gain a lot. I guess for me, it's not necessarily about the number on the scale as it is about habits. Once I recognize that my strategies for keeping my natural, fat-inducing habits at bay are not working, I try to mix it back up again. For now, it is working well enough that I am seeing success. But until I have a year or so at goal weight under my belt, I will feel 100% vulnerable to giving into those habits again. And I am guessing that if I do hit that year mark at goal weight, I will still find that I am having regular struggles keeping my destructive habits at bay. I am working to accept that this will always be a part of my life. Also - regardless of your age, I can't imagine you as "matronly." Maybe because I don't put "matronly" in the same category as "badass." Not that mothers are not badass by definition. Perhaps the connotations I associate with "matronly" equate to a faceless mother figure, and I think mothers should not be faceless. And now I'm rambling on a weird topic, so I'll stop. The point is - at 202 or 180 or 160 or 357, I suspect you would be badass rather than matronly.

Vladadog - Woot on new jeans and on cozy wood stoves and on burning calories hauling wood. My ex just had gallbladder surgery, and he seemed to sail through it without any real difficulties. I hope it goes as smoothly for you. I am fortunate that I have access to an underground tunnel system on days when it's just too cold outside to walk. But I have also found that my Fitbit registers steps when I do line dancing videos at home with my kids. =) I also will occasionally walk in place while watching TV, although I admit it's not my favorite. Mandy inspired me to do this. I think she does walking videos. I am inspired by your no-junk. I'm struggling with that right now. Some days are better than others, but I definitely indulge too much. Even though I'm still pretty reliably keeping my calories down, I too often sacrifice nutrient-dense foods with ridiculous choices.

Diane - Glad you are done with physical therapy, and it seems to have worked pretty successfully for you. Also glad you got some helpful advice on what you can and can't do so as to not re-injure your shoulder/back. I have missed your Body Pump and spinning tales. You're a bit of a fitness icon for me, so I'm thrilled that you're getting back to your groove.

I ran yesterday. I almost talked myself out of it, as I really am behind at work. But I'm always behind at work, and being more efficient just means I get more work assigned, and I deserve to take care of myself. I did intervals of 5 minutes at 6.0 mph, then 1.5 minutes at 3.5 mph until I finished 3.1 miles (5k). I was able to finish at an average pace of 10:46/mile pace - about a minute per mile pace better than my "distance" pace. Still no speed demon, but it is nice to see some progress. I really need to take my lifting more seriously, though, so I will focus on getting a good lifting work-out in today.

I am still dealing with a lot of sugar cravings. I have decided to take it one day at a time. For today, I am not going to eat the cake or the ice cream at my house (though I can eat the Arctic Zero frozen dessert if I want). Instead, I will - "Remember that the temptation in front of me is not the last of its kind that I will ever see; I will say, 'I'll pass today.'" (Thank you, Carter.)

I want to break through to the 150s. I want to start wearing size 8 (bottoms) comfortably. Neither of these things are possible if I don't re-focus. Again. Almost every day.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #165  
Diane

Vladadog: Oh boy, hope your gallbladder doesn't bother you too much right now. I'm sure you're anxious to have it out.

Carter: I've done that too. Unfortunately, I know that I have to go back through a few decades to get back to where I was in October when my back issues started. I think it takes real commitment to make sure you don't go back up in those numbers. I'm hoping to get that commitment back!

Laurie: Wow! A size 8 would be so amazing! That's really something to strive to get. Good job on your losses!

Nothing new for me. I'm feeling the day after physical therapy pain, so I didn't go in to the gym today. I want to take it easy, so I will head back tomorrow.