Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #166  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieand2girls View Post
LaurieDawn & LebenAlles - Okay so you two ladies are not quite happy with the results of your weigh in. But....have you noticed changes in other arenas? Like...are your clothes fitting better/looser? Do you notice any non-scale changes in your body or how you feel? I ask this because this weekend I saw a picture online of two women. They both were the same height and they both weighed 150lbs. One of the women's body fat percentage was 18% and the other woman's was 30%. The difference was unbelievable in how they looked. The woman with less fat was at least 3 sizes smaller in appearance....way more lean and well developed muscles. I'm really starting to understand the importance of body composition rather than what weight the scales kicks out on any given day. The scale measures it all (muscle, water, fat, food, bones, anything in/on your body). If you lost 15 pounds, but more than half of it was muscle would you be happy with that? If the scale shows you lost only 2 pounds but in reality it's because you're developing lean muscle tissue (and holding on to water weight in the process), is that 2 pound loss a failure? It is impossible to step on the scale and interpret that gain/loss accurately. Please don't be sad/upset with your losses ladies. You are winners!!!
Thank you for putting this into perspective again. I was down to 227 last Monday. Then all of a sudden (water weight) last thursday I am up to 230. I am now trying to loose that get get back to where I was last week. I am getting there but its slow. In my head I know its just water but in my heart I am bummed. I increased my weights so know that is what is going on. I am trying to keep a postive attitude and stay on plan.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #167  

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree that the scale number is a poor indicator of progress. And I am not upset over my loss per se either. It's a process, and I am headed in the right direction. But I don't take measurements (because I hate to), and it's a tool. I know it is temperamental, and I am glad I backed away from it, but I am glad to have the additional data. Clothes don't tell the whole story, either, and I am not good in detecting slight changes in how something fits. The scale gives immediate data. I LOVE that you are so successful doing it the way you have, Angie. I just don't want to count calories, and I don't have faith I can design a successful plan that does not include either calorie-counting or the scale.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #168  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Back in 2005, when I got to goal for the first time, I didn't calorie count either. I designed an exercise plan, and I made the decision to eat healthier and cut my portions. You definitely don't have to calorie count to be successful, but you have to be mindful every step of the way, which I'm sure you are. And I'm also not trying to encourage you to do it my way, I just wanted to point out an example of something to keep in mind as we step on the scale...even for myself. It was a real eye opener. The scale may give immediate data, but how much value does it hold (given the example of both 150lb women looking completely different)? I just wanted to point it out...for myself included....so that maybe if any bad feelings arise from stepping on the scale, it may help to know it may not be as bad as we think.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

I took measurements for awhile and then found that getting frustrating as well as apparently I have a hard time taking them in the same place every time. Or maybe sometimes I cheated so the next time i tried to do it right it looked like I had gained an inch or two. I did, however, update my measurements a month ago (hopefully consistently and without cheating) and I took them again over the weekend and it looks like I lost a few inches in my waist, hips and thighs. So that is definitely something. And my shopping trips have definitely been a lot more successfully lately. So all is certainly not lost, Angie, and thank you for that reminder!

And even though it seemed like I saw less results when I did any other exercise than walking, I think I'm going to pick up the kickboxing again. Even though I tend to have a predisposition of being 'hulky' when I gain muscle, I'd rather things be firmer than they are right now. And I liked being able to feel the new muscles taking over the fat, so yeah. Maybe I just won't go into it as hardcore as I did before.

I guess the frustrating part is just knowing that even after almost a year of this, I'm still a 250 lb girl. And in no way, shape or form is a 250lb girl healthy. So it's hard. But isn't everything worthwhile? Sometimes you just have to have your pity party for a few days and then pick yourself up again and carry on. I'd definitely rather be a 250lb girl than the 305lb person I was before. Definitely.
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #170  
Back to being healthy

I don't know if its the weather changing or my lack of progress. I am getting a bit discouraged. I am not watching what I eat as closely. I am still around my goal calories but my macros suck. I am exercising but its hard to get excited about it when I am not seeing anything for my effort. I am sorry if this is a bummer post. Maybe I am getting close to TOM and that why I am in such a mood. I am not going to give up because I have made some progress. Its just hard when I see how much more I have to go. I just have to get past the plateau which will be one of many I am sure.

Last edited by Lishar; 11-13-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #171  

Sounds like a lot of frustration mixed with some hard-core determination. Can I just say how much I love that?

And venting (yay the healing power of venting!), theories, strategies, plans, challenges, goals. And SO MUCH SUPPORT. And that's at least part of the reason, I think, that we're still chugging along.

Cuz it gets better! And then harder. But we never quit.

So I did Day #2 of the RFL diet today. My morning weigh-in showed a 0.6 pound gain. But since I didn't sleep last night (so wasn't really a true morning weigh-in), I am considering it a win, if not a loss per se.

I get 2 cheat meals per week, and I planned on having one tonight. But I got stuck at work, and did not eat. So Day 2 protein intake was subpar. But what the heck? If I can have occasional high-cal or high-carb days without worrying, I will embrace my low-protein day and just do better tomorrow. :-)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #172  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishar View Post
I don't know if its the weather changing or my lack of progress. I am getting a bit discouraged. I am not watching what I eat as closely. I am still around my goal calories but my macros suck. I am exercising but its hard to get excited about it when I am not seeing anything for my effort. I am sorry if this is a bummer post. Maybe I am getting close to TOM and that why I am in such a mood. I am not going to give up because I have made some progress. Its just hard when I see how much more I have to go. I just have to get past the plateau which will be one of many I am sure.
The Winter Blues, as some would call it. I know how you are feeling. The changes are happening, it just may not be visible on a day to day basis. Sometimes, I'll want to see visible results every morning, but I know deep down that's not rational. You are awesome in that you are not giving up. What sucks about your macros?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #173  

Laurie - So far so good on RFL eh? That's great! I'm curious to know if the shaking up of your macros (with the higher carb days) will speed up your fat burning. What are the cheat meals like? Can you eat anything you want for those meals?

Last edited by angieand2girls; 11-14-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #174  
Back to being healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieand2girls View Post
The Winter Blues, as some would call it. I know how you are feeling. The changes are happening, it just may not be visible on a day to day basis. Sometimes, I'll want to see visible results every morning, but I know deep down that's not rational. You are awesome in that you are not giving up. What sucks about your macros?
Reading your post made me cry so I know TOM is right around the corner I tend to get more sensitive if you know what I mean . My protein intake has sucked this week. I use MFP and try to keep my macros 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. I just have not had the motivation to care. I need to drink my protein powder to keep it up. I also need to go shopping so I have better choices in the house. I will drink one for breakfast and get started with improving my protein for the day.

I will say that I was shocked today to see my shoulder/back muscles in the mirror today. I know my shoulder muscles are big because I don't have any fat covering them but to see the back muscle connecting to my neck from the front was suprising. Hopefully that NSV will keep me for a bit.

Another victory or loss of motivation I have not decided which. I did not weight today. I lifted yesterday and got dressed before getting on the scale. I just decided not to get undressed to weigh. My rings are tight so I know I am retaining water. I think this might be a transition point for me. I have been on the weight loss journey for almost 4 months. I have lost that intial enthusiasm/motivation. I just need to figure out how to keep this up for the long haul. How to do this as a way of life. Heathier eating and exercise. I guess this is like a relationship with ups/downs.

Lauriedawn. Cheat days sound fun. I sort of had one yesterday. I ate a chicken sandwich and a chicken salad from Mcd for lunch and then went out for mexican last night. I ate as many chips as I wanted but ordered a very good fish.

You are right we will not quit. Because I am a stubborn *****. LOL I am a taurus and this bull is stubborn when pressed to the wall.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone - I posted earlier in the thread and then disappeared. I fell off the wagon big-time when I was going through some health issues (lots of tests for pelvic pain) and then stopped focusing on my diet. I'm now recommitting to my one-year focus. However, this brings to light one of my major issues - whenever 'something' is going on, and I've got to focus more acutely on something other than the diet, then the diet goes out the window. So as long as the diet can be my biggest concern, I'm ok, otherwise 'poof' I drop it like a hot-potato. I must change this behavior pattern because in life, stuff happens.

Anyhow, I hope you ladies have had more success than I have!
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

Coffeelover - I think you're not alone with that 'major issue' as most all of us have fallen off the wagon at one point or the other, usually due to life things that come up and need our attention. 3FC is certainly a good place to go to get advice, encouragement, tips, etc when those times come up, so I encourage you to use it to its full capacity!

Congrats on your new committment! Just remind yourself that you CAN do this this time, and you WILL. You've got this!
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much LebenAlles!

What I've decided to do is to make a 'idiot proof daily menu' for when I'm going through something stressful or I'm just too busy to plan everything out.
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #178  
100 before 40

S/C/G: 287/203/170

Height: 5'9"

Oh wow, I was getting so discouraged until I found this post. I started my journey on March 27, 2012 after my yearly visit to the doctor. At that time she asked me, "Why are you this over weight". I burst into tear without an answer. I have been heavy all my life and take care of everyone else but myself. So I decided that I was gonna lose 100 pounds before I went back to see the doctor March 2013. So far I am down 84 pounds. But its so easy to get discouraged. I joined a daily exercise class in the morning, follow the weight watchers plan and have lots of support. But every time I feel like I am accomplishing my goals I self sabotage. Its like I am so afraid of something. I am now 3.6 pounds from being under 200 (its been over 20 years since I have been under 200) and it scares me to death. The trainer I work with thinks I am nuts. He has no idea what it is like. I do so good then I relapse. Does anyone else feel this way? Will it go away? I fear more than anything reaching my goal and gaining it back. How do you stay focused and committed?
kimbo720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #179  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeelover64 View Post
Thanks so much LebenAlles!

What I've decided to do is to make a 'idiot proof daily menu' for when I'm going through something stressful or I'm just too busy to plan everything out.
I think that is an EXCELLENT idea. Having a plan keeps you one step ahead. I can also relate to having stress make me turn to overeating and non-ideal food choices (I went through a painful divorce earlier this year and all I did was eat and eat). I had to learn to truly love myself...in every way..in every aspect of my life. Loving myself included taking care of my body...inside and out.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #180  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo720 View Post
Oh wow, I was getting so discouraged until I found this post. I started my journey on March 27, 2012 after my yearly visit to the doctor. At that time she asked me, "Why are you this over weight". I burst into tear without an answer. I have been heavy all my life and take care of everyone else but myself. So I decided that I was gonna lose 100 pounds before I went back to see the doctor March 2013. So far I am down 84 pounds. But its so easy to get discouraged. I joined a daily exercise class in the morning, follow the weight watchers plan and have lots of support. But every time I feel like I am accomplishing my goals I self sabotage. Its like I am so afraid of something. I am now 3.6 pounds from being under 200 (its been over 20 years since I have been under 200) and it scares me to death. The trainer I work with thinks I am nuts. He has no idea what it is like. I do so good then I relapse. Does anyone else feel this way? Will it go away? I fear more than anything reaching my goal and gaining it back. How do you stay focused and committed?
Kimbo - to you. I'm reading your post and I'm in complete awe of how much progress you've made since the end of March. You should be absolutely proud of yourself. You ask how to stay focused and committed? By continuing to do what you're doing. You have proved to yourself that you can! Take a moment to look back and see how far you've come. 84 pounds!!! YOU did that. That says a lot about your power, your control, your focus. Keep that as you slide your way under 200 pounds and to your ultimate goal. You have everything you need already. You have absolutely nothing to fear. Know that it's okay to love yourself. You've taken care of others....but you MUST have a place in there for you too. Don't be afraid...be proud. And you won't gain the weight back as long as you continue to stay in control. Do you have to eat perfectly for the rest of your life to stay in control? HECK NO! LOL! Moderation is what keeps us balanced. I feel like you are doing WONDERFUL! Just work on embracing yourself and loving yourself every step of the way.

Last edited by angieand2girls; 11-15-2012 at 12:00 PM.