Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
HFCS is incredibly cheap, due to government subsides, as mandalinn posted above. Honey is not cheap. It's a pretty easy equation for a big business whose customers are not very likely to be interested in evaulating the actual content of their food.

That being said, HFCS is not necessarily any worse for you than honey or sucrose. If you eat any sweetener in the quantities likely to be a problem, you're going to have a problem. Switching out HFCS for sucrose (as the soda companies are doing lately) won't help a public that's drinking, on average...I can't remember the exact number, but isn't it something like 3 12-oz sodas per day?
I have seen those pro-HFCS commercials and laugh like crazy----similar to all of the oil commercials where they care so much about the environment that they are focused on saving a rare butterfly. Sigh. Sorry, just not believing it.

There is something about hfcs that react to our bodies differently than say, raw sugar. I don't think I want to down as many natural sodas made with raw sugar as I would the hfcs. I think there is a tie into how differently hfcs affect our insulin. Of course, there are probably research showing both sides of the spectrum.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #62  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a.../S26/91/22K07/

Any kind of sugar in excess, of course, is bad (heck, ANYTHING in excess is bad). But there is some emerging research that, sort of like trans fats vs saturated fats, HFCS is extra bad. It's a different substance with different metabolic effects.

For me, cutting out all sugar wasn't necessary or sustainable. But I DO have to eliminate HCFS to be successful and have relatively few cravings.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Well, if you're looking for a very structured approach to doing this, I'd recommend trying out South Beach. On South Beach, you'd eliminate all refined sugars, all grains, and all fruit for a period of two weeks. Then you'd slowly add fruit and whole grains back into your diet and see whether any of that stuff triggers you. (South Beach does not include any refined sugars or refined grains during the weight loss period.) At the end of a period of careful experimentation and self-examination, you'd know whether or not whole grains and fruit were a problem for you, and you'd have a VERY healthy foundation for your diet.
I do like many of SB tennents. I use them still in addition to CC. Doing this has made my use of artificial sweetners much less. I like Splenda but 1 packet a day and 1/2 a diet soda every so often works for me.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #64  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started using South Beach as a general guideline. 60-70% of the foods I eat are carbs but very little is 'sugar' in that. I eat dark chocolate which has some sugar and I eat natural sugars like fruits. Personally, I don't like refined sugars or artificial sweeteners so I try to avoid both for the most part. I also think refined carbs can definitely trigger binges/cravings so I'm careful about those as well. (ie I am more likely to want a bagel than a candy bar)

Overall, I think we each need to find out what works for ourselves. Some people can keep things in their diet without any issue, some can't. It takes a little experimenting to find out what works for you though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #65  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Let me tell you what has been working for ME:

On March 5 of this year, I gave up sugar, flour and wheat in all its many forms. The only "sugar" I consume is 12 oz of low glycemic fruit--6 oz at breakfast and 6 oz at bedtime with a dairy snack. I also have complex carbs at each meal (like steel cut oats, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet, white potatoes (baked usually). I have 4 oz of protein at each meal, and 4 cups of veggies daily (2 cooked, 2 raw). I exclude things like corn because it is a food that triggers me to eat more.

As far as sweetners, I usually use liquid saccahrin (sp?), but most of the time dont use anything at all. After 86 days on my food plan, everything tastes differently--some for the good, some for not so good.

This is the ONLY plan that has really worked for me. As long as I stick to my food plan and work my 12 step program, I will be successful and sane.

All I know is, FOR ME, sugar is poison and will kill me if I consume it. Just like if I consumed rat poison.

Everyone must make their own decisions about their health based on reliable information and what they truly believe they can live with.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote