Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #91  
Peace with body and soul

Thanks Erik, its not really important I guess in the larger scheme. I think we understand each other now, but I'll do a readers digest for the folks here, save them some reading time.

Basically a few months ago, I was occasionally communicating w/Dr. Connelly via email and at one point got up the nerve to ask him if he would join an MSN BRX board we had going, and he agreed to do so. We got him a Q&A board, informed people he'd be available to help when he could and he faithfully showed up nearly every day for quite some time. It was a big success and people really got great insight into BRX and an understanding of just how deep his knowledge is..(he has a huge amount!)

Then one day he just stopped coming. Days went by and weeks, etc. People started worrying and asking about him. I'd been over to L&S a bit and knew Erik had contact and asked Erik about him. Erik answered me, but the response wasn't what I had hoped for, and left me feeling badly. There had been many times since that time, I wanted to ask about Dr. C and others that I talk to about BRX wanted to ask too, but we hesitated because we felt perhaps we shouldn't.

I see now, as I posted on L&S yesterday, that the written text can be misconstrued easily, and that had I been able to ask Erik in person, this wouldn't have happened.

But at least we know Dr. C is still on this planet and hopefully feeling well. Whether or not he realizes it, people care a great deal about him and we miss him a lot over there.

Ok said my piece! Already said my piece re: Mel, etc.

Meg, I work in criminal law and we do appellate work too. I also love the research aspect of it, its like finding the solution to a great big puzzle..sometimes tho it works, sometimes not! I'm way impressed w/what you managed to do re: your amazing weight loss! Many kudos to you!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:43 PM   #92  
JEC
Aussie and proud

wow!! busy board. Thanks to Erik and everyone for giving their opinions. Just to answer Sel

Did any of you give feedback to Pam regarding the problems you experienced with the program and if so what was her reaction?

Yes I did give her loads of feedback. I actually wrote a weekly summary of various things to let her know what was happening with me. She reacted by giving me stricter diets each time but tried her best to help me. The problem I had was with the actual type of program not her personally at all. Although occasionally food that I had told her I don’t eat came into my menus. By occasionally I mean about one meal a week or so.

Did she disregard your questions or was she just plain unable to help you?

She didn’t disregard my questions I think she was just unable to help me. Like a lot of people have been saying hers is ONE method and it’s a method that didn’t work for me.

If she was unable to assist you was it because of a lack of knowledge or something else?

I think it was more flexibility than anything. Pam knows what works for her and so she sticks with it – I don’t blame her for it. I just found that a different approach works for me in the end.

I hope you don't mind me asking the these questions. It's just that I really like to make an informed decision prior to purchasing any kind of new service.

No one minds at all – feel free to ask away. I like to make informed decisions also. As for the whole ‘is it expensive’ issue – I would like to throw my hat in the ring and say YES it is. BUT a BMW is expensive as well but is it worth it? Well not to me (bad example) but to some yes. Something being expensive doesn’t necessarily correspond directly to it’s worth. I just bought a house and it was expensive but it was WORTH it. There’s a difference. Would I do it again? No – I have proven that it doesn’t work for me so it wouldn’t be worth it. Was it worth it before despite the expense? YES because information in invaluable in my book and now I am INFORMED that it doesn’t WORK FOR ME. That doesn’t insinuate that it won’t work for someone else though… Personally I think the whole issue was blown out of proportion in the first place.

Mel: I hope that you are feeling better today mate – I have been thinking about you.

JC
Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 PM   #93  
Uber-Moderator!!

Okay real fast...because I actually have to get some work done today

Erik: Same reason as Mel I think. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and (despite what my words in my last post might have construed) I do not want to hurt anyone personally. I also don't care to have hate mail directed at me any more than Mel does. In addition, I have had a lot of stuff on my plate lately - not only the surgery, but personal and work matters requiring my attention, along with other interests. I always try to make it a point to post at least once a day here at 3FC though...if only just to check in.

Meg and Lana - sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I was going to answer Lana's questions about the surgery but for some reason I got a bit distracted Anyway, I concur with what Meg said - swelling is bound to happen - it's just your body's natural reaction to this type of surgery, so it's going to affect your weight and BF%. (BTW, you naughty gal, you KNOW I don't weigh myself!! ) I basically go by look and feel...and I look in the mirror and see that my legs look SLIMMER (still slightly bruised but slimmer), those awful saddlebags that have been tenaciously hanging on since I was 12 are history, and my inner thigh rub is gone (anyone else here ever wear out a pair of jeans between the legs so that they're threadbare??).

As far as our Boot Camp is concerned - I'm going to wait until I see Dr. Clark next Wednesday (less than a week from today) and she 'officially' clears me before I list my goals and jump in with y'all. (Meg is a naughty, naughty girl jumping the gun! Must be something about Megs in general...our kitty likes to get into all sorts of mischief... ) Then I'll list my goals. I must say that I cannot WAIT to start really working my lower bod again and see the muscles start to emerge from my thighs FINALLY! Woo hoo!

Laters y'all!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #94  
Meg

Default Dissing of "Megs"

At least I don't yack up hairballs.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #95  

Mrs. Jim, JC thanks so much for answering my questions. I have decided to go the nutritionist route.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 03-06-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #96  
Uber-Moderator!!

MEG! OMG!!!

How did you know?!?

OUR Meg yaks hairballs constantly! Except nothing comes up. I thought we should rename her Stimpy since he was always doing that...

Now please don't tell me you SNORE - I think we have the only Snoring Kitty in California!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #97  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hairballs??

No problem Sel, I just wish that I had more time on my hands at the moment!

JC
Old 03-06-2003, 07:51 PM   #98  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Hello girls....

Holy Cow leave for what, 3-4 hours and I have to read 2 fulllll pages of posts..... But what interesting stuff. Although I refuse to give any comments whatsoever, I find that every single person here has one or several valid points, and I always try to see them all in a positive light... and we're all entitled to opinions and to discuss openly what we feel ....
Anywho having said that.......

Karen and Meg thanks for the info on PS it's very interesting. Sooooo sorry Karen, forgot that you threw the scale fa' fa' away' ...

sel -- You don't mention which program you are on... I find that eating something balanced every 2-3 hours, like BFL is the better for me, I now never have cravings and when I do eat badly it's not really a craving it 's just that I want something different and then I'm over it... I also find that nutitionists push higher carb lo fat dieting rather than equal amounts of protein and carbs. With a good balance of P&C I also feel fuller longer... Just my 2 cents...

"BOOT CAMP 3FC" should we all start on the same date? That way we could all finish at the same time... What is the closing date? Easter? Later? I really don't care... It would be quite the Challenge for me to be good over Easter, so maybe that would be a good thing!!?? I'm easy...

Niffer, Ledom, TideyPoo, BethO BethV, all the other semi-newbies...Where are YOUUU????

Later...
Old 03-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #99  

Hi!

Pardon my gross ignorance, but what would a 3FC bootcamp comprise?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #100  

Default If you don't mind... :-)

I'd like to take part in your "bootcamp." I haven't posted here in ages (actually, the last bootcamp was the last time I posted!), but I lurk often, and also post over at L&S.

A little about me:

I began this whole journey to a better body in March of 2001. Of course, I had halfheartedly tried numerous plans to change my weight prior to then, but this was my first concerted effort. What triggered it? I had started a new job in January 2001, and had to get a photo ID card made. The photo made me sick to my stomach. It was as if, after 22 years, I was finding out for the first time I was FAT! I remember thinking to myself, "Gee... I am missing out on what are supposed to be the most carefree years of my life..." I weighed 263 pounds at the time. After a few weeks of muddling over what to do, a coworker asked me if I wanted to join Weight Watchers with her. Long story short, I lost 50 pounds with WW, but didn't like the smaller yet still flabby body that came as a result. I found BFL, and have embraced it. I've yet to complete an actual "challenge," but I've followed the principals of the program, and have seen a new body emerge - one that I'm pretty darn proud of, stretch marks and tummy fat be damned! Now, I am at 185, and a tight size 12. I have pics in my profile at L&S (wcolleenva) if you're interested (you'll also notice that yes, I basically cut and paste my profile there into this post! :-)

-Colleen
Old 03-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #101  

Colleen!!! Good to see you!!!

3FC Bootcamp: We all do individualized programs but it's basically short term and very committed. Last time I did a basic BFL program, but didn't do a free day (did a free meal now and again). I added walking, swimming and yoga to my routine. It's hard to explain but I was very very committed and focused and saw amazing results in a short period of time but the best part was that I felt GREAT. Others were doing different programs and some were doing camp pb but checking in here every day. We all start and end at the same time. Next week to Easter is 7 weeks (I think) and then I'll probably take a few days off and do another sprint to Memorial Day.

Last edited by susanje; 03-06-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #102  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey, Lana I'm here. Just trying to keep everyone straight with the flurry of recent posts! I am amazed at the eloquence that exists here at 3FC.

I got my hair cut really short today. That is my biggest news. I have had a good week. I am following a split that you sent me Mel and I see it is the same one you are doing now. Leaving the "BFL by the book workout schedule" was hard for me when I tried to do it early in this challenge but now I am ready for it. I had one slip up on food this week, but it was contained to one occasion and it wasn't a pigfest, just a poor choice.

How is everyone else doing with food, water and exercise this week?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #103  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls

Colleen -- Funny that just about half an hour ago I was looking at your profile over at L&S, you've come a long way BABEE!! I think in your post you were wondering if you could be 180 and 15%BF, and look really good... am I right... I'm too lazy to go back and look...

Hi Lore -- 3FC Boot Camp, I think, would compromise just a commitment from you to you, and come here when you want to vent, share, have ups and downs, and basicially have a good time at becoming healthy... Am I right girls? Most of us here follow BFL principales, or a variation thereof...

Ok Gotta go Survivor is starting... after listening to the yadda yadda of Mr. Bush...

later
Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #104  

Karen: our Maine Coon (all 30 lbs of him) snores like a TIGER. Some nights I wake up and go "what IS that?" and its the snoring giant furball at the foot of the bed.

So he's a snoring California kitty too.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #105  

Hi Susanje! :-) Glad to see you back as well! (yeah, yeah, even though I rarely post here, I'm *always* lurking and *had* noticed your abscence (sp)! Glad to hear you're doing well these days.

Lanaii: Actually, I was responding to someone else who had asked that question - I was trying to assure her that yes, you can look pretty darn fit at 185 lbs.! :-) Of course, ask me to strut around in my birthday suit, and it's a different story... hehe :-P

Lore: The last time, I basically did BFL, but since I'm not good at doing structured "challenges," it was a good motivator for me. Also, it was nice to have others on board to be accountable to. I did really well on the last one, and look forward to another one right before it's time to start strutting around in shorts and bathing suits! (Beach trip in July that I'm a little apprehensive about. But at the same time, the people I'm going with haven't seen me since I've lost 80+ lbs., so they won't be judging me HALF as harshly as *I'll* be!!)
Closed Thread