Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #46  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

NOVA ~ I totally agree with your advice to "JB" ... that 1500 calories is too low for a man (esp a tall one at that); our local hospital 'dietician' says a woman should not go below 1500 C's a day to lose weight, and I'm sure for a man that number would be much higher. Many of the ladies here know from experience that low calories can lead to a weight-loss 'freeze'; meaning the body panics and won't allow any loss. Figure in, the aerobic exercises on top of that, and all the more reason to be concerned.

Maybe JB could up that to 1800 calories a day, like you suggest; and build his exercise routines up over time, giving his muscles and body some time to adjust and heal in between. How about one day of an intense workout, and one day lighter? For a trial period of a week or two, to start?

FOR SNACKS GUYS, maybe some mixed nuts in moderation, like almonds or pistachios; veggies and a dip tray; low-fat pepperettes; BBQ chicken wings (baked, not fried); low-fat cheese sticks or curds; or no-salt dry pretzels.

Just some ideas and thoughts ... good luck guys!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #47  
Jeremy

S/C/G: 222/222/185

Height: 6 foooooot

Yeah but im not hungry like 1500 cal makes me feel satisfied 3 meals 2 snacks and basically water all day doesnt get to much higher for my intake i guess ill try and add a few more snack ideas in then for more calorie consumption.
jb735u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #48  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

If you are happy with 1500 cals and your body shows no sign of feeling starved..I suggest stay at that limit. Its easy to spoil yourself with high calorie food than to get down. If I had been at your place I'd only try increasing some more forms of protein like two scoops of WHEY to provide additional stuff for the recovery & growth of my muscles which would even add up 220 cals a day.

My personal observation is not to cut too many calories initially as your body might show up some stages of plateaus if you do that, its wise to cut down slowly and start increasing the deficit, say you start from a 2500 cal diet..then go down to 2000 and then to 1500 as you gradually reach closer to your goals, You should not touch the extremes while starting up else you don't have much left to change when you see challenges like plateaus or trying to lose those last few stubborn pounds.

However this is all my opinion, you may like to do and follow what that works for you, if 1500 is what that works for you then that's where you should really stay at
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #49  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb735u View Post
Yeah but im not hungry like 1500 cal makes me feel satisfied 3 meals 2 snacks and basically water all day doesnt get to much higher for my intake i guess ill try and add a few more snack ideas in then for more calorie consumption.
i'm also 6 foot mind you i'm currently abotu 80lbs more than you. but previously at 226 i used to eat 3000 a day.

frankly i amdmire anyone who can eat under 2k a day and not feel hungry.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 240/232/197

Height: 6'4

Cool

Well I am back after a few days off.. (computer problems).. Well I lost another 2 pounds, Started dieting 3 weeks ago yesterday.. Not sure exactly what I am doing.. I mean in calorie intake and such, I've just cut out fast foods, junk food, butters and salts.

Can't do alot of excercising just yet, as I said was in a car accident back in June, and just starting back to work this month, and only starting with a 2-1-2-1-2 hours, work hardening back to work. The hardest thing is just driving to work.

But I am lost when it comes to calories, and carbs, and etc. Trying to learn it, but it's not going to good. So any help in that department would be appreciated. Wish everyone luck in their quests..
Redneck Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #51  
Becomming a Monster

if your not active i'd suggest about 2000 a day. depending on your job. if your job is active i.e not sat at a desk most of the day up it a bit. maybe 2300

you should look at about 50% carb 30% protein and 20% fat as a general rule just to get you going. when you get more intune with what it all means you can play around.

its a ball ache but measure everything you eat and count the calories in each portion. if you eat a regular diet i.e pretty much the same breafast lunch and dinner most days or have say 3 different types of each meal per week yo should be able to do it off the top of your head in 2 weeks or so.

if you can't manage that (it is a pain in the arse) you can find an online calorie calculator. there are a few sites around but make sure you check for the first week manually as some of the sites info either drastically over/under estimates what your are eating.

hope this helps its all very very general but without knowing an awful lot about your circumstances there isn't much more i can say
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post

But I am lost when it comes to calories, and carbs, and etc. Trying to learn it, but it's not going to good. So any help in that department would be appreciated. Wish everyone luck in their quests..
I had a little bit of a rough time when I started on Dec1 but it is a breeze now. People basically eat the same foods over and over just in different combinations.

You need a food scale (I got one at Walmart for $9 bucks) and some measuring cups (1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/8 cup and I don't go below that) and use a tablespoon a lot for measuring.

Then you need to write down everything you eat EVERY day. Measure everything out. If you can't because you are out then estimate it thats better than nothing. And estimate it on the high side most people estimate to little when they do.

Then get a calorie counting book on go online and figure out the calories and fat content of everything you eat each day. I find it easier to carry a small note book around in my back pocket than to sit at the end of the day and try and remember everything I ate all day.

It's not all that hard and it gets easier as you go along. You just have to WANT to bad enough and you can do it!

The journal is the key because you can take a step back and see where your weak points are.

I can tell you from Dec 1 exactly what I had to eat on any day, how many calories it was (I am on a 1800 calorie a day diet), how many Weight Watcher points it was, what exercises I did that day and even if I took my vitamin that day!

You can do it if you want to lose weight bad enough!

good luck!

Last edited by flatiron; 01-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 240/232/197

Height: 6'4

Cool

Thanx for all the help.. I think it would be alot easier to, if I could do excercise.. But will keep you all in touch as I do this.. thanx for the help..

Redneck Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #54  
Becomming a Monster

ok i have a question now there are a few new faces here only joined in the past few months but where have the rest of you been and why have i never seen you all before? i never realised there were so many blokes on here!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #55  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hey guys! Just a quick post to say hi. I'll be back to read and post tomorrow. Thanks Simon for tipping me off on this thread.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #56  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question Base Layer

I have a good manly question.

Anybody have a recommendation for a base layer?

My old cotton long johns need to be replaced and it's time to act grown up and get some moisture controlling stuff. Looked at some Under Armour. It's $49.95, but said to be worth it.

But here's my concern; it has no fly!!! So I'm supposed to give up my manly right to pee behind the nearest tree! Do all the athletes who wear Under Armour pull down their pants to pee? Are there any brands with good moisture wicking ability that still have a fly?

Opinions appreciated.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #57  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh Bill, your post got me interested. Have you looked on their website? Seems to me that all their men's underwear has a fly. But... what do I know?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #58  
Becomming a Monster

under armour all the way bill. and yes pull down just far enough.

i've never been to boston but from what i've seen its warm in summer and cold in winter so you'll probably need 2 sets one for each season.

underarmour metal gear is the expensive end of the range but worth every penny and some. i've got 1 metal gear short sleeve top for the summer and i have two turleneck long sleeve cold gear ones for the winter/rain. which lets face it is most the year.

nike do a good range too. i get most mine off ebay just a tip can get it a bit cheaper. also if you fancy doing a search online you can try canterbury they are a rugby brand from new zealand but have recently been taken over i believe by addidas.
http://www.canterburynzusa.com/

Last edited by slimmingsi; 01-28-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #59  
Operator265

I got some Hot Chillys recently. They are warm when it's cold but don't make you hot when you go inside. Worked great both on the days when it was cold and when it wasn't. Good thing too since the weather has been fickle here lately. They are soft and comfy too. Made it thru the whole day at work without them bothering me.

Not sure about the fly since, for obvious reasons, I bought the women's, but they appear to have one from what I can tell on the web site. They were about $50 at Sport Chalet. I'm thinking about getting a top before my next day shifts. I've had a few snowbanks blown down my shirt recently. It sucks.

Last edited by Operator265; 01-28-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #60  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Ok just thought I would chime in a little about myself. I've been on 3fc for 5 years and mostly hang out in the 100lb club. Simon and I both used to be active in the mens forum when there was one. However the guy running had some odd ways about the way he thought things should be and they closed the forum.

I am a calorie counter just because I think it's the easiest way to do it and you can have a variety of foods. I eat 1800 calories a day. I weighed 490 at my highest and am currently 312. Was as low as 245 but slipped up a bit after back surgery.

For exercise I walk to work. I walk at least 3 miles a day. I've never been into the gym and body building.

I hope this thread keeps going and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

In answer to the winter wear I still just go old school with cotton long johns.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote