UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #1  
Must Stay Motivated

Default Anyone tried Slimming World?

I have been on a training event today and one of the girls there is on the Slimming World diet. It sounds just what I am looking for. It sounds like there are a lot of free foods.

I was just wondering if anybody here is following this or has in the past?

Would love to hear from you.
Superwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #2  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hey Super, my daughter lost 2sts on SW. I tried to do it here but could'nt follow it to the letter because of the branded foods that i can't get here. The only thing that i could complain about was lack of bread..i eat too much of that you really can stuff your face on this plan as long as you can live with the red and green days and weigh out a few things.
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #3  

I may be joining SW but I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the plan being a fussy vegetarian. I know people who are going for the first time next week help. Should I go?
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:09 PM   #4  

Bread! I love bread...I don't know if I could deal with less of it.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #5  
Must Stay Motivated

I hardly eat any bread at the moment. Veggie, the girl I was talking to was telling me about all the pasta, rice, jacket potatoes etc that she eats. In fact everything she mentioned was vegetarian. She also said that she eats bread but can't remember how much she said or on what days.

I heard that the Bachelors pasta and sauce packets are free from sins on a green day too (apart from the macaroni cheese one), I love the cheese and broccoli one - yummee.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and starting on Monday. Am going to go on my own but hubby will have to pick me up afterwards.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #6  

I've never tried Bachelors pasta and sauce packets told you I'm fussy I have a thing against broccoli but I may get one to try.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #7  
Must Stay Motivated

You can hardly taste the broccoli in them. They are really tasty. I love them but they are something like 14 points on WW which is why I haven't had them in ages - lol.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #8  
Gym'll fix it!!

In the magazine they list all the free foods that you can eat on the 'green' and the 'red' days i.e. Princes Beef and Red Wine or Icelands Good Choice chicken breasts in white wine and mushroom sauce (sound good?) are all free foods on and Original/Red Day...Marks and Sparks Vegetable Medley and Heinz Rigatoni pasta are free on Green Days..don't know how they do it when you can eat a can of spaghetti which contains about 300cals and it be free but it does work..i lost 4lbs the first week don't know why i did'nt keep it up i either got fed up with the eggs for brekky or it was the no more than 2 slices of bread that i could'nt do without and i did'nt want to use my sins on bread i was saving them for beer or chocolate
I'm going to start either this or W.W. again

Veggie, if you're a vegetarian i don't really know what you'd get out of it unless you were going to follow green days every day you might learn a few new recipes but thats about all..it would'nt hurt to go to just one meeting anyway, right?

Super, are you going to live on Batchelors Pasta and Sauce packets then? i know that Batchelors Potatoes and sauce (the cheddar cheese ones excluding milk and butter) are free on green so i substituted Idahoan Spuds over here..don't know if they are equivalent or not but i love them

Last edited by cat90; 03-06-2004 at 02:37 PM.
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #9  
Must Stay Motivated

can I make up those potatoes with just water then? this diet sounds better all the time - lol. I really could live on those pastas - lol. Seriously though, I will probably just take them to work for lunch.

Am going to ask my mum to drop me at the meeting o the way home from work on Monday and get my husband to pick me up.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #10  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi!

just thought I'd chip in as I've done both SW and WW.

I am a vegetarian and stuck to 'green days' everyday. i consistently lost 1 - 2lb a week. On green days you can eat unlimited pasta, rice and potatoes. SW does limit your bread - the most you can have is 4 slices per day, and after that it is very high in 'syns' (I know it's a stupid word!)

You can eat ALOT on SW - there a loads of processed foods that are free, including pasta and sauce (if not using butter).

One thing I have found is that treats are quite high in points on SW - you only get 10 syns a day, and a pack of Walkers crisps are about 8 points - so it makes it really hard to work them into your diet. On WW, Walkers crisps are 4 points and I get 26 points a day so I can fit treats in easily, and still lose weight! This makes it easier for me to stick to in the long term - sometimes you just want chocolate!

I am now doing WW - I think I just wanted a change really. I think that SW teaches you very little about healthy eating and portion control - I used to eat HUGE plates of pasta and loads of ready meals. You certainly won't go hungry on the SW diet! One bad thing I've heard is that ALOT of people end up putting the weight back on with SW -I did, maybe because they haven't really learnt about healthy eating and portion control?

I'm certainly not against SW - You will definately lose weight on it!

Hope this helps!

Amanda xxx

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 03-06-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #11  

Thanks for all the info I'm only going as other people are (if I do go that is) I'd be happier if they were going to WW I did the online plan for a bit and it was great. I don't think it really matters what plan I'm on. I just need to cut down.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:19 AM   #12  
Must Stay Motivated

I lost a few stone with WW before I got married but have put it all back on (nothing to do with WW - I just have no will power - lol). I have tried to get back on plan with WW but can't find the motivation. I only get 20 points a day (in fact they cut me down to 18 at one point). My main problem is that the portion sizes are too small for me on WW. I can go without chocolate as long as I can have huge bowls of pasta etc - lol.

I don't really know much about SW except for the girl that I was talking to said that the syns are higher than WW point but there are far more "free" things on SW which suits me fine. She said that she was on 15 syns a day but she wasn't particularly large, wierd).
Old 03-07-2004, 08:10 AM   #13  

Hi Superwitch.

I was on Slimming World for quite a time and am planning to return - Well I am still eating the things I would have done on SW but not attending classes. Our leader left so I will join my friend in her new class. I will probably join up again around Easter Time. Incidentally I did go to WW ages ago but was always hungry and headachey which never happend on this SW one. I used to get al the slimming mags and was impressed at the veggie reciipes in Slimming World. Too often the other mags would eithr ignore that a thing as vegetarianism existed or would tell you to just leave the ham or avoid the recipe qall together and have beans on toast instead! Veggie why not buy the mag before you join and see what you think.

Veggie - Have no fears I have been Vegetarian for around 22 years and the Green Plan suits me just fine! If you are okay to eat Quorn - a lot of the ready meals (though not all) are point free. YOu can have Macaroni cheese (check Syn value -but the tinned stuff was free - ok not haute cuisine but alright with a jacket spud).

Yes Superwitch you can eat rice, pasta and spuds! Hoorah! Look out the Marks & SPencer count on us mash - these are (or were) 'free'. I had just that for a lunch (they do mash with cabbage or an oniony or is it leek one. Very filling. I think as well as a swede one if you are into that (yuck!). Don't go the full fat one with mature cheddar though. Yes it is lovely but oh so naughty! These can be nuked in the microwave.

Yes the Batchelors Pasta n'Sauce are very good (if a little too flavoured) The mushroom one is my fave. I try not to eat too many packets of food and try to get those packets of ready to nuke vegs. Due to unfortunate circs (having to share a kitchen with people who (practically live in it and I am not fond of waiting hours for the electric oven to heat up) unable to spend lot of time preparing and cooking llke I used to so have to rely on microwave a lot of the time.

The green diet while not totally veggie (if you want you can add small amounts of meat and fish as long as it counts as a healthy option or you add up the syn values), but the Red diet is meaty and fishy and you would have to add syns or healthy options for the pasta, rice and so on.

Yes everyone misses bread - you can eat it but you have to be aware of how much it "costs" syn wise. A simple sandwich is using up syns and even then you are not necessarily full after wards. The weightwatchers and nimble breads are lowest in "syns"

I am not that bothered about ordinary sliced bread but it is the speciality breads I miss. Ah well...

I have made some great recipes and I am thrilled that you can cook no/low syn version of things such as (a personal fave) falafels. These are baked rather than fried.

The green recipe book has a number of recipes in it including a number of Indian ones so have no fear this is not a bland "diet".
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #14  

Reading what Amanda said about putting on weight afterwards - I think that is true of any "diet" if you don't keep up the good intentions. However I find I am able to get back in the saddle with SW far quicker than with WW. What everyone has to remember is to check on the Syn value before hand. Even an item labelled low fat , low calorie can come up high. I bought a tin of WW rice pud. Let me tell you it was disgusting and to add insult to injury it was high in Syns!

Mueller light yoghurts are a fave of SW's but please not these are no good for conscientious veggies as most light yogs have gelatine in and these certainly do.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:34 PM   #15  

hi all
what happens if like me you do not eat salad or much veg or not that much fruit are all the programs based on lots of salad veg and fruit
Who said ignorance is bliss?
thanks linus
linus is offline   Reply With Quote