Old 04-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #76  
Scootin' On Down The Road

Hey girls!

Just a quick note before the weekend completely swallows me up.

Red- The chicken was really good. I'd been craving it for ages and it lived up to what I was pine'in after. I actually didn't get to eat any until almost 9 pm. I know eating so late is awful for you, but I only had the meat, so I don't feel quite so bad about it. I've been taking Shotokan for 2 years, and I love it. It's good for taking out my aggressions and otherwise working off some steam. Not to mention the fact that it works my butt off. I'm a lot more confident now than when I started. As for Mississippi, I love it. The pace of life here is much slower than the other states I've lived. We live in the middle of 40 acres. I was born here, then moved off with my hubby after he finished school. We moved back about 3 years ago, due to family illness (His father had ALS.). Hubby works out of an office we had built over the barn. The Internet is a wonderful thing.

happy-- I can totally see what you're saying about the cereal. My favorite is 'Captain Crunch'. I could eat a whole box of that stuff! I haven't let myself buy any in ages though. It's not just the fact that I eat it. It's the fact that by the time I get a bowl, and the kids get some, the box is pretty much wiped out. And cereal is expensive!

jolly-- I'm seriously contemplating what my mini-challenge will be... There are so many things I need to work on. The 4 lbs by May thing sounds great. How'd the trip to the gym go?

raven-- Congrats on the job! I know that it's a load off you're shoulders. You're training to be a farrier? Or something more specialized? Have you been apprenticing? or taking courses? I'm not too knowledgeable about the process.. I know there are schools.... Anyway, too bad you aren't closer
we have 2 pasos, a walker and an appy, that all need their feet worked on. Dh trims them himself, but he doesn't really have the time to keep them up the way I'd like them to be..

Take care!
Tanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #77  
Student of the Hoof

Heyos folks...

Happy, thank you so much. V does seem to have that artistic, imaginative twist to her. God knows where she got it from, certainly not her father or me! And the sun! Yes!! Finally it's sunny and warm and ... *closes eyes in bliss* A week with mom sounds absolutely heavenly. I hope you enjoy it.

Tanzie - My kids and I did TKD for about 2 years. We loved it, but the school closed, we moved, and I just haven't found any instructors over here who could measure up. Plus I think my son would enjoy aikido more. My daughter and I have tossed around going into kickboxing more than once - but that takes a gym membership around here, and I can't afford that. I am enrolled in a certification program through the AANHCP (American Association of Natural Hoofcare Practitioners), but my training got a bit stalled when the money went away. I've been doing my own horses for about a year now. I've studied with Jaime Jackson and Cindy Sullivan, and I hope to be able to mentor with Pete Ramey and a few other folks this year. I need to get my Practitioner in Training status before they'll put me on their site, and I won't be able to do that till after I can complete the hoof anatomy test - since the classes are full till September, that's the soonest I can get listed by the Association. I'm a huge advocate of barefooting, especially after I've seen the amazing changes in our appendix mare, not just her feet, but her whole body. I suppose it makes sense, in people if our feet and legs are messed up, we feel pain in so many places. Why wouldn't a horse? Anyway.. I don't mean to rant. I just have found my passion, and it's hard not to go on and on about it. I'm very much the odd man out just about wherever I go, between my barefooting and the conditioned response training we do. People think we're loons. *sigh* But we're loons who love our horses!!!

I've been thinking about starting a thread for horse people trying to lose weight so we can all ramble on about our equines without putting the other people on the thread to sleep.

Anyway.. today is my son's BD celebration. His birthday is officially Monday, and since I'm going to be working then, we figured we'd just do it today. I'm making a peanut butter and chocolate cake, my boyfriend is treating us out to dinner at our favorite mexican dive, and he has some presents to open from his Dad. I had absolutely no money with which to buy presents, but I told him as soon as I get my first paycheck (two weeks) I'd buy him something cool. Thank goodness he's fine with that. I'm not fine with it... I feel like such a loser sometimes, but .. what can I do, yaknow? So I guess the upshot of all of this is .. I blew off today and spent it lollygagging around with my daughter and the horses. It was so beautiful and being able to groom them out (Arashi is STILL a phoofball of fuzz! Poohead) and V just hopped up on Shadow - no bridle, halter, saddle, anything... just .. hop up and hang out - it was just very peaceful. And sweet little Princess Eve. What a doll that horse is. I just love her to pieces. Yeah. So .. I'll run tomorrow. *nod nod*
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #78  

Hi all. I just got back from the horse fair. Was able to find the things I wanted to get there, stay (pretty much) within my budget, not go too crazy on the food (had a chili cheese baked potato and some sugar roasted almonds - this is great compared to all the food offerings they have), did not spend on stuff that wasn't on the list, and even managed to bypass some chocolate on the way home. A good day.

I bought some new running shoes too. They are supposed to be great motion control. I will try in the morning. I was going to run this morning, but had a very sore ankly. I figured all the walking today was good exercise.

Raven, CONGRATS on the job. At least it will see you through until you can get that certification. I like the business cards too.

Everyone, have a super weekend and enjoy the weather!
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #79  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Good morning, hi to all. Glad to see some action here. Thanks, jolly, for keeping the thread bumped up with your quickies! I had a good day yesterday with exercise and a somewhat good one eating. I am tired and I think it's mostly from the increase in exercise that I am forcing onto my body. Hurrah! My legs are being more cooperative (they were going numb and that is the main reason I was blowing off the cardio). Last year in September they were bad. Now, not so. They feel light again and that makes me want to walk and jog. I am on that coolrunning program (don't know if it was Raven or jolly who first mentioned it, I read it on Raven's post, just want to give credit where due) and finished the first wee of the couch to 5K program. Rave, are you posting on that? I'm freefall59 on that site. Today is a big race I have to/want to go to so I blew off work yesterday and went riding (normally I'd ride today). Rode alone and it was so much nicer. I can communicate with the horse more and feel she doesn't resent the demands like she does when I'm in a lesson, which is like a drill sergeant, my teacher, that is.

Well, don't know about any immediate goal til May. I will start one though tomorrow so hold me accountable, kay guys?!

As for a bigger one, I'm off the white sugar again and alcohol too! until I get under 70 kg. My weight keeps creeping up and it disgusts me and though I didn't lose anything off sugar for Lent I don't care. The nights out with the guys constitute a ton of calories from beer and that certainly didn't help, although they weren't all that often. But I'm thinking, NO! how can I sit here "rewarding" myself, indulging myself with sugar and alcohol (even if I were to keep the calories low) and feel like I'm at all deserving. Sorry, honey, the crap is getting cut til you shape up! So, NO sugar, no alcohol until the scale dips under 70. Right now, it's about a whopping 75 so that's a good 12 lbs! Cut the crap! This is my slogan from here on out to 70!

jolly -- glad to hear the horse fair was fun and you didn't pig out. great chocolate save too. Nice on the new shoes too. Are you doing the coolrunning thing?

Raven -- you loon, you! Yeah, you may be a loon (all is relative! ) but you ain't no loser, so no sense feeling that way. Presents, come on, your kid should be happy to see you happy and I'm sure he is. He's not a child, right and presents, really, are for children or when you have an excess of cash and nowhere to go with it! I'm sure anyone in his or her right mind understands that. He does, do you!? Hope you had fun on the birthday celebration day, don't overdo with that cake. Mexican sounds fun.

Tanzie -- how are you? Glad the chicken was good and you're enjoying your karate. 40 acres, wow, sounds like paradise, four horses was it? Do you have an arena or ring? Do you ride Western?

happy -- good to hear you're feeling pumped! Yeah! Chicago, never been there, but I hear the pizza is great. That's the deep-dish kind, right? Hope you enjoy your stay with your mother. Good luck with your list. Take care and work for that pizza!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #80  

Hey all. Raven, hope the dinner went well. You are not a loser - except for losing weight that is. You spend quality time iwth your kids. YOu give of yourself. And I am sure they understand the situation right now. I am glad you had time to spend with your daughter and hte horses yesterday.

I did not get a chance ot try out my new shoes yet. I woke up this morning still sore from all the walking yesterday. I will do it Tuesday morning though. next scheduled day. I am not doing the coolrunning program. I am doing an old "10 weeks to your first 5k" program from Runner's World. Did it several years ago, and was actually able to do two 5k races.

Have a great day all.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #81  
Student of the Hoof

I've been a slug.

Jolly - I think the programs are probably very similar. 10 weeks, couch potato to 5k.

Red - I overdid it.

Well I was motivated for a day or two.

I start my job tomorrow. Maybe with that will come some more inspiration. Gotta run, V is hollering for me. Looks like Ursa got stung by a bee. Does it ever end?
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #82  
Never give up

Hi jolly, Raven! Raven, what did you overdo? the running? I'm looking forward to the second week of the program. Of course, it's still super easy but mentally I need the ease to do just that, ease back in to running. The pedometer has helped me a lot too. Raven, do you get much walking in? Do you have a pedometer?

Well, going to try to get some walking in before going in to the dreaded office this morning. Ciao!

Oh, yes, yesterday was successful in staying off the sugar and away from the beer. After a race is always a cue for me to drink with friends, although May will be ****, as they really (truly) try to force it on me. I don't think there's a way in heaven I'll be 5 kgs less before June, but it is an incentive. Funny, how the moment I said I'd give up sugar and beer I started wanting it, but it's pyschological, so a little resolve and I got by the whinings.

Last edited by redballoon; 04-17-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #83  

Hey, y'all. Congrats on successes, good luck with getting back on track.

I did not make it to the gym today. I spent the afternoon between my barn and my friends. Had a very nice ride. I am working on a plan to get him fine tuned and ring ready. I just hope to be able to work out tomorrow. I was changing clothes on my way to the barn from church (yes, in the car. yes, while driving) Anyway, I did the little hip bump to get my jeans on, and threw out my lower back. Fun, fun, fun -NOT. I do have to report two mini saves today, though. One, I was really hungry for ice cream or some other junk tonight. i was going to go to Dairy Queen and get two blizzards (hey, I have a buy one get one coupon - it would be criminal not to use it!) I stopped by the grocery store instead. Grabbed a half gallon of ice cream. I walked up to the cash register, turned around, went back to the freezer case, left the ice cream, adn grabbed a single serving snickers bar. Also, I managed to stop myself before eating my body weight in the tacos I made for supper (should be 3 dinners worth). So, I guess I am slowing down. Still not making perfect choices, but at least able to steer away from the worst choices.

Have a good evening all.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 AM   #84  
Never give up

Jolly, you are so funny!! "eating your body weight in tacos!!" Great, great save you had there!! That was amazing. And, give those blizzard coupons away!! or let them flush accidentally down the commode!

I had a very good day. Lots of walking, was up early, cooked my lunch and brought it in. I almost forgot, honestly, that I had given up sugar and was about to "treat" myself (there's that idiotic concept again!) to a big chocolate bar, when I remembered, NO SUGAR, sweetheart! So, I had fresh pineapple with plain yogurt over it. The pineapple is so sweet the yogurt tastes fine with no sugar in it! Hurrah!!

Now, I just have to do this over and over and over and over . . .
Old 04-18-2005, 08:07 AM   #85  
Never give up

This is for my mini goal:

Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #86  

Good morning all. I am feeling pretty low today. My back was still very sore this morning, so I was unable to work out. Unless there is a miracle today, I won't be able to jog tomorrow. I feel like my body has betrayed me, but even worse is to realize I first betrayed my body, by not eating and exercising right. I am hurting because I don't take care of myself properly. . . . And even realizing this, I so want to "comfort" myself with food this morning. Like a HUGE chocolate bar (that I probably couldn't even lift) would solve anything . . . .

Here's to us, and finding some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #87  

Hey guys,

I've had a bummer weekend. All this excerise and water and I was up 3 pounds when I climbed on the scales last night. Good news is that instead of lettng it depress me and reaching for the goodies, I got up this morning and did the first cp to 5K workout. And that's saying something for me-- since as I said before, I'm not really a runner. (I'm flat footed.) Hopefully though, if I take it slow, I won't get shin splints, ect.

Dh added another stall to the barn Sat. It looks good, and we were really pinched for stabling room. We've got one more to go before we'll be where we need to be stallwise.

red-- Good for you on the no sugar no alchohol resolve! How's it coming? Seems like everything in the store now days has sugar of some form or other in it. *blerg* As for the horses, we ride western, and we don't have what I'd formally call an arena, but we do have a round pen.. does that count? *g*

raven-- We keep our horses barefoot too. It's so much better for them. Sounds like you've pretty much got your ducks in a row as far as your training goes. It's great that you'll be able to do something you love so much for a living once you get finished!

jolly-- *ouch* on the back! And congrats on the save! I've done that a few times myself. I'll pick something up, walk around with it, then get to feeling just so darn guilty, I'll put it back on the nearest shelf. I just know the stockers in our local WallyWorld hates to see me coming. I leave a trail of misplaced junkfood behind me wherever I go.

Anyway, I've done my walking for the day, and now it's time to start working on the house.

You guys have a good one!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #88  

Sorry to hear you're feeling down in the mouth this morning. Back pain can be so debilitating. Hopefully, it won't keep you laid up for long. Just take it easy today, and do what you can do without pushing it. It'll all come back together, girly.

Take care of yourself,
Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #89  
Never give up

Tanzie -- don't get down about the numbers on the scale. Exercise really shakes up the body and the scale does crazy things. If you've really been eating well, and not overeating, you will have lost fat and your clothes will be getting looser. That is really what matters. Of course, you'll see weight loss eventually, unless, of course, you don't have that much to lose. Just keep it up. That was great that you did the running despite your disappointment!

Jolly -- hope you feel better. Like Tanz say, pain is a major downer. Don't make things worse by eating junk! Hang in there!

Last edited by redballoon; 04-18-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #90  

Just got back from Walmart, where I loaded up on fruits, salad fixings and whole wheat stuff. (yeah, I'm *tootin* my own horn since I really really really wanted some totally bad for you sweets.)

I'm going to a plant swap this evening, and there's going to be tons of food on my 'no no' list. It'll be hard, but I'm going to "Endeavor to persevere."

I'll holler at you ladies in the morning; I hope you all have a great evening!