Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #121  

Walk a dog, Day 17 complete, 1 pause left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 9 complete, 1 pause left.
Calorie bank: -4035
I have 2 dogs, a Bernese Mt Dog/Border Collie mix and a "pocket" Rott (she's probably not pure bred but her personality is) They are both a pain to walk and there's no way I'd walk them both at once. I should take a training class with at least one of them. I think I need training just as much as they do.
I think I tried a feel the hunger challenge too, and it didn't work for me either. And I hear you about nutrition! My pre-teen daughter has been giving us a hard time, she wants to be a vegetarian, but she's a very picky eater. I have to figure out a way to get more protein into her. Sometimes she says she think she's fat, so I don't want to make a big deal about food for fear she rebels against eating anything at all. She weighs more than her friends because she does gymnastics and probably has much more muscle weight than most kids her age. I also try not to talk about my own weight concerns out loud. And now I'm rambling
Good job Jolly & Michellee!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #122  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile

Saturday morning here and my three days in the office start. The dread of having to work with this one jerk ruins everything. It's not easy work to begin with and this guy is a total d!ck, one of those Americans who came here because no one could stand him in the States no doubt.

Anyhow, got to talk about some other work before that but I don't see how I can do it. Freelancing problems. Having to juggle it all and getting stressed trying to do so.

I have three days down on my calorie limiting and I almost declared a challenge, then erased it. I fear the pressure. As it is now, it is still, "haha, I can do this, especially when no one is looking." I am not good, for some strange reason, at letting people see me do well. Maybe it comes from my childhood when being a standout in school and being singled out by teachers and such as some sort of whiz kid only brought me ridicule and ostracism from the other kids. Being a very sensitive type at heart, that was the worst thing. Now, I always hide what I can do and, surprise, surprise, am overlooked because of it. Perhaps, though, being ridiculed when I do shine is because I am simply with the wrong bunch of losers! SO, getting back to the point....what is the point, actually? ....that I want to continue hanging out with losers? ....
You know, I think I just talked myself into it. I am declaring the challenge!!!

I had another fantastic day yesterday. I worked out HARD in the gym, really pushed myself with the weights and did cardio on the bike and ellipitical as well, and walked two hours on top of that. I counted up ALL my calories, reached my limit and STOPPED, stopped eating that is. I was hungry but I went to bed. Today will be more of a challenge because I am not going to do much, if any, exercise, other than perhaps some walking. That means I cannot have as many calories. On top of that, being in the office and having this other job worry (I couldn't sleep well last night, bad dreams, stress dreams!) makes me want to calm myself with junk. But NO, I must remember the "serious mind." I have found that that is my switch. I can do it and then the resolve is unbelievable. It's scary, actually....but, yes, tiring. Wish me luck!

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 8 completed

Calorie-Limit Challenge -- Day 3 completed

Michelle -- Thank you! It looks like you're doing a great job! And I see you changed your profile picture. Congratulations on the weight loss! Keep up the good work.

Apple -- Ok, got the dog situation. A purebred personality, eh? Apple, I was a strict vegetarian for years. Now, I am a bit lax but only because I find myself without healthful choices. Like last night, I almost bought this book on boxed lunches (yes, that's how they make them here) but then saw it was full of meat and fish so I put it back. I really don't want to eat that at all. I need to find ways to make portable vegetarian meals that don't take forever to make. BEANS are the answer to the protein. They are a super food! There are lots of great recipe sites too on the Net so maybe you can find something. I applaud anyone who tries to go veg!
And most definitely, gymnastics will put on long, lean and HEAVY muscle. They really, really need to have weight charts that allow for muscle and bone density differences because they make a huge difference. Here, it's a joke. The charts will put some person at "overweight" when they are at all muscular, especially the charts for women. Pathetic. And it's fine if you can ignore them, but companies are insurance companies are starting to penalize according to the results. And in a country where thinking is not practiced often, no one goes against the chart. Eegads! So, it can be a problem.
Heh, rambling is welcome!

jolly -- I am staying home from the gym this morning because I am so sore I need aspirin to move. Once I get warmed up I can work through the pain without it but more than three days straight of hard training have left me sore, but it's "good sore" so I'm happy. Good going on doing the yoga!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #123  
Never give up

Oh, yes, continuing the ramble here.....you see, the caffeine on a totaly empty stomach really makes my mouth go. Anyhow, the other thing that is not really a challenge because it's not an every-day thing, is that I am NOT allowing me to weigh myself except for once every two weeks. I know this is iffy because I could be up for the one day I weigh myself and get super discouraged, but I think it's better that I don't have the numbers in my head at all. I have a plan to lose 1 kg every two weeks and if I am on track, then good. The thing to focus on it is the calorie limiting. It's tough though, I really want to get on the scale because I think the numbers MUST be down and I want that pat on the back. But, heck, it's not necessary, right?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #124  

Hi all. Real quick post, as I have my nieces over for the night. I will catch up with my charting tomorrow, but for now
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #125  
Never give up

Yesterday was tough, but I got through. Very hard, with work starting to really pick up. Now it's Sunday morning here and it's off to the gym before a long day at work. Best, all!

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 9 completed

Calorie-Limit Challenge -- Day 4 completed
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #126  
Never give up

Cool

Well, Ok, another day notched on both. If I nail the second challenge, I've of course nailed the first. I can't believe it's ONLY 5 days limiting calories. I'm sick of it! I guess I just have to get used to it though. If this is what it takes to keep the fat off, then I can do it. It's not like it's THAT hard. It's hard, but I can do it. And especially if others can do it, then I WILL do it, and add to my repertoire. Of course, it's all the more hard because I'm putting my body into fat-burning mode, which it doesn't like. Digging out from under the cozy, comfy ample stores of fat is not what my body likes. However, I don't like the fat! So there!

I am realizing, however, that I MUST find some way to reward and/or enjoy having disciplined myself because if I don't the feelings of "I deserve xxxx." are going to become too strong and I will go back to my old indulgent ways.

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 10 completed

Calorie-Limit Challenge -- Day 5 completed
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #127  

Walk a dog, Day 19 complete, 1 pause left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 10 complete, 0 pauses left.
Calorie bank: -4035
I am NOT having a very good day. I have accomplished next to nothing and I just want to go to bed. Bleh. My daughter and her friends took a dog for a walk today. Does that count? Maybe I'll take the other one for a quick jaunt later. I'm almost done with that challenge!
Red, I'm glad you talked yourself into your new challenge. I disagree with your comment about not wanting anyone to know about your successes! You have quit smoking and we all have seen your progress over time. Maybe we even helped you through some difficult times and you did it!!!
So you can do it and don't be bashful!!
I haven't stepped on the scale lately either. Last time I did I was down 1/2 lb, but I pretty sure it's back due to that time of the month. Bloated yucky-ness.
By the way Red, looks like your Pittsburg Steelers are handing it to the NY Jets and will be in the Super Bowl. I grew up a Jets fan so I am Pull it out guys!!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #128  

Holy Cow, Round 2, Day 17 here! Hello! Sorry I was among the missing for a bit. Time flies and we have had man snow events and my time was spending working hard.
But, I have been dancing.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #129  
Never give up

Cool

Well, it's after 10 p.m. here and I'm just waiting for the wash to finish so I can go to bed. I went a wee bit crazy today, but still wrote everything down and I'm going to allow both challenges because though I have no real way of knowing how many calories I had it couldn't have been all that much. I went to an awards ceremony for the horse of the year etc. and ate from the buffet. I had NO alcohol whatsoever so am considering that a major success. And, I only felt "crazy" but I wasn't really eating that much.

I got to the gym and did a tough cheat/back/arms workout, then rode the bike for what it said was 100 calories. I did about 90 minutes of walking to the gym and then specially did one extra train stop after the awards thing, so all in all, I'm feeling pretty good about what I accomplished.

I am NOT, however, feeling good about the way I look...I look like a football player and feel like one too. I HAVE to get the fat off, so I change my current "tank" physique. I hope my jacket hid some of it....

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 11 completed

Calorie-Limit Challenge -- Day 6 completed

derry -- good to see you again! What are "man snow events?!" Well, great to hear you've kept up with the dancing! Hurrah!

Apple -- I read your post after the gym while I was on the train going to work. I read it off my cell phone, so when I got to work (was doing a shift on the sports desk at an English paper here) I asked how the Steelers were doing and heard they had won! Hurrah!!! Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't been following. Thought they were out of it and was afraid to look. Go Steelers!!!....though I hear Roethlisberger is a d--k.......with definite women issues....bad stuff.

How did your day pan out? I don't think your daughter walking the dog can count. It would be kind of a stretch, don't you think? Of course, being along in heart and soul may have been enough to up your pulse a bit...

Well, maybe you're right about me and my closet success. And, yes, I think you all helped at some point! But, I am talking about bigger things than smoking...well, I guess smoking is big but I never think of it as such. I mean things that are more related to work and authority and appearance and such. Being in Japan is a huge limitation though. Still, it's me just taking a back seat and not going after better work etc. And somehow I think I hide behind a sloppy appearance as a way of justifying not having what I want and what I know I deserve as much as the next joe....sigh. Well, here's hoping I can continue this challenge, finally get the dumpy-looking fat off and let my muscles cut through to show people that I'm no slouch!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #130  

Walk a dog, Day 19 complete, 0 pauses left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 10 complete, 0 pauses left.
Well, the exercise challenge has not worked out for me. And the calorie bank, too depressing. 2 more dog walks and I've actually accomplished something!
Then I will come up with a dietary challenge, I think that's where I need to challenge myself. I exercise a lot. I eat a lot.
Still feeling bloated, but if the day goes well eating wise, I might try a weigh in.
I'm guessing Derry meant "many snow events" but I'd love to come watch some man snow events. Those snowboarders are so cute! And I'm sure Red meant Chest, not cheat work out. It's hard to cheat when you are lifting weights.
And I was rooting against the Steelers because of Rothlisbergers "character issues" to put it nicely. Sorry, I'm going to have to cheer for Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is from Northern CA, and I even know a few members of his extended family.
My cat is licking my pants.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #131  
Never give up

Morning here. Have to get a move on it. I am feeling especially given up these days, when it comes to everything except eating, but even there....I just need a break from Japan but have NO money. Am paying the bills off by whichever utility is going to be turned off next.... It so sucks.

Apple, I can't allow a player's personal life to color things. It's a shame though. Why do they have a Georgia boy on a Pittsburgh team anyhow? But, we Pittsburghers are loyal. We have to stick by the team as an entity, not the individuals. And they're only what they do on the field. Of course, since I barely follow any sports anywhere, especially in the States, I can't really say.

Well, wish me luck people. Things continue to be very rough and it's two years now and I'm starting to have "anniversaries" of bad days and it's devastating to realize things aren't much better.....

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #132  

Man snow events are a person who isn't taking the time to proof what they wrote, it should have been MAIN snow events. Oops. But, Apple, watching man snow events doesn't sound half bad.
Red, I'm so sorry things are not going well. I wish I could fix it for you but I cannot. What I will do is pray for you, dear one. You might not be a religious person, but know that someone in NH brought your name (Barb!) fourth in prayer today and that might put a tiny smile and spark of something positive.
Do you still have family here in the US that might help out if you wanted to come home for a visit? Just wondering. They might want to see you and you never know....
As for me.....
It's snowing again today. Lst 2 days have been below zero with wind chills in the 10 - 20 below range. I'm alone to deal with freezing pipes, borken door that wouldn't close and not a happy camper. OK, done with feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for listening.

I'm beating myself up today, just so you know. I lost control of myself. I did keep dancing and today is day 18 of round 2. At least one thing is going right in my weight loss efforts.
But, I allowed the horrible below zero temperatures, snow and all that stuff to seriously affect what I have been trying to do. I can't let that happen. I have to get back in the game. Yesterday was comfort food, chocolate and just grazing in the kitchen. I don't know what I even ate... sad to say.

So, today is me saying, that I have to do this and no one but me is the motivation. If it's snowing and I cannot get to my WW meeting, I have to reach within myself and pull a magic rabbit out of the hat. The magic rabbit has to be me telling myself that it is OK if I blew it and felt sorry for myself. But that it is not OK for me to allow that to send me into a binge and allowing all the bad habits to creep back in.

So, I have said this in the past, but today is day 1 of me getting back in the game. Not sure how to word it, even... but here goes another attempt.

Day 18 of Dancing Days are Here Again, round 2.
Day 1 of Back in the Game = work at this and stop playing games mode.

Linda in cold nasty snowy NH who wishes she was somewhere like Martinique right now, but if that isn't happening, it's still time for the tough to get going.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #133  
Never give up

Almost 6 here. Gotta get a leave on it. Pretty good day yesterday but no special exercise. Too busy with work. Had my gym stuff with me but just couldn't get to the gym. I spend so much time sitting in trains...today is the long train ride day. I can't believe it's only one week since I started limiting calories. What I need are some long lazy mornings where I can sleep in. Nothing like that possible for at least two more days....
Hope there won't be another jumper stopping the trains this morning. Last week, I got to my station and the line was down because half an hour earlier someone had decided to end it all. I tell you, Tokyo is mad. Every time I go to the trains (and there are tens of lines here) there is another report of a "person-involved accident," which is the way they refer to people throwing themselves onto the tracks. Talk about depressing.

derry, thanks for the kind words. It's just me and whatever I can do with the ol' bootstraps kind of thing.....
Stop wasting time fretting over what's done. Just kick on, make today a better day. The bad habits are just that and easy to let take over again. Push yourself to add on a good habit for the day. You can do it! You've done the dancing so you have proof you can and DO!

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 12 completed

Calorie-Limit Challenge -- Day 7 completed
Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #134  

Walk a dog, Day 20 complete, 0 pauses left.
Man, I know it sounds crazy to you Derry, but I crave lots and lots of snow and cold that freezes the water vapor in your nose. I have to drive about an hour to get to the snow. My dream is to someday have a vacation home up in the mountains....could do without the wind chill though. And the dogs certainly wouldn't be getting their walks!!
Well, gearing up for the next challenge....
I don't think jumping in front of a train would be my choice for a way out...but I guess there's a spontaneity to it....what is the population of Tokyo? Similar to NY?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #135  

Apple, if you went through this winter, you might think twice. I'm usually the winter wonderland/love snow type but this year it's just awful, we've been dumped on again and again and it is harder and harder to function.
Red, I wonder why we never hear of the suicide rate in Japan over here? How awful. Of course, things like that could be going on (not trains, but other....) and we are not hearing of it around here too? I don't know. I'm with Apple, if I were going to end it all, jumping in front of a train would not be my choice of the way to go. I'd take far too many sleeping pills or something like that and drift away, I think. Gosh, what a subject.
I did somewhat better today. I almost blew it on alcohol this evening, though. The cold and snow were getting to me. The garage door broke halfway open and I had to find a repair guy who would come out and fix this in 16 degree temps. I had to get it fixed as the pipes would freeze if that door was open for too long, what a nightmare.
I got inside and was cold, feet still have not thawed out and I just wanted a glass of wine. Instead, I had milk. How 'bout that, had one of my healthy guideline foods instead of blowing it on empty calories. Milk is calming, so if seemed like a good thing.
Tomorrow brings another snowstorm, starting in the afternoon. I should take some photos for you guys, you wouldn't believe the mess. Snow piles in parking lots are about two stories high, we'll still be melting in June!