Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #41

Good morning to you all you lovely ladies. Nothing got done here yesterday as I was sick all day long. Some kind of little buy or something, but I had a horrible sinus headache and just was sick but am much better today after taking some meds and going to be really early last night.

Jack and I will tackle everything today. In fact, I am going to get up and dusting and vacuum as soon as I finish here. I already had breakfast of one of my 2 pt biscuits with a small piece of ham in it with some juice so I am ready to go. He hasn't made a sound so he must stull be snoozing this morning.

Fortune was really antsy last night and drove me nuts toward morning so I brought him downstairs to sleep. I few him early just to settle him down a bit. Every once in awhile he gets so that he won't lay down and wants your attention non stop and such.

Susan: So glad you have checked in with us. I imagine overnight was rough and hopefully you came through it a-ok without much damage and such. It amazes me the noodleheads that get out in the ocean and surf during these storms. Reminds me of the rubber neckers at accidents who just have to be in the thick of it all.

Jean: Glad you all caught up with a few friends yesterday, just sad it had to be at a funeral. My feet were really swollen yesterday too for some reason and I was puzzled by it. Must have been sympathy swelling for you! Those slippers knit up really fast as they actually only have 19 rows! Hopefully they will finish drying by today. Fortune went yesterday sometime and laid on them and squished the grocery bags out of one of them so I had to reshape it and put them back in.

Maggie: Glad everyone in your house is doing ok.

Have a good Sunday all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun has come out and it's so nice outside once again. We had planned on going up to the cabin (although I really wanted to stay home) after church. It was pouring rain when we got out so Bob called Jason and it was raining there also. The tv said all of northwest Iowa was having thunderstorms. I fixed a meatloaf dinner, left dishes soaking in the sink, and here I am! I do have sheets in the dryer to fold and another load waiting to go in the dryer.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry you were sick yesterday and glad you are feeling much better today. Do you think the change in weather affects Fortune? I know some animals can supposedly predict when a storm is coming. My feet are better today but I haven't been on them as much either. They seem to swell more in the afternoon and towards evening.

Susan and Gail -- Hope all is well with you today.

Guess I will finish the dishes, work on my laundry, and do some ironing. Have a relaxing rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunshiney hot day here in the Heartland. I am listening to Alabama while typing this and I haven't played them in awhile. Good to here them once again. Good ole group. Old times are not forgotten. Will bought me a ger-pirze today when he went to the store. Not that I am dirty or such but it is a bottle of soap. Milk Protein & Honey. I'll put it by the kitchen sink. I undid the lid and took a whiff and it sure smells good. We ate Colonel Cluck for lunch and it sure was tasty and I didn't have to cook. I like their grilled chicken w/out skin and it is 4 points+ instead of the 10 for the kind with the skin or the 13 points+ for the extra crispy. Anyway I like the grilled best. I will be making breakfast for dinner this day.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad what ever it was you did have has passed on and you feel better. Dogs can tell when a storm is coming on. Smart little critters. They are currently testing dogs that can smell your breath and tell if you have cancer. Thanks for starting us a new thread.

JEAN Rain, rain go away from Iowa and come our way. We just might have to water the lawn if it doesn't rain again soon. We haven't done much yard watering this year at all. Speaking of laundry I have some to fold that Will brought up.

GAIL & SUSAN Do come in and let us know how you faired in that storm when you can.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #4  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning ladies. You have not heard from me because of:

Daughters needing me.
Grandchildren needing me.
Elderly fathers needing me and particularly one FIL driving us nuts.
Earthquake.
Hurricaine.
Trying to find a 2012 vehicle to replace my car with a dying transmission.
Hubby going to doctor/surgeon/scheduling outpatient surgery with tests leading up to it.
Trips to Va. Beach.

I will say this that it was crazy when that earthquake made itself known. Daughters, grandkids, and I were on the beach while it happened and we (among everyone else around us) did not know it was happening. We felt nothing. I received a call on my cell phone while sunning from Wayne asking if we were okay! I phoned my Dad who lives approximately 5 blocks from the beach and he thought it was the "big one" and he was soon going to meet Momma in Heaven. Bless his heart. No damage.

We received no damage from Hurricaine Irene thankfully. We kept our electricity--it did not go out. My daughters and their families were fine--no damage and no electricity outage. However, surrounding us was some damage done and electricity outage. Tornado hit down outside of Lewes (beach area) of Delaware and damaged/destroyed approximately 17 houses. Flooding throughout the state but not in my immediate area. School was supposed to open today but did not. My father and brother in Va. Beach did evacuate but when Dad came back to his home he said he experienced higher winds on the other side of Emporia, VA (going west in the state where they spent two nights) than there was at home. Crazy. My FIL who also lives in Va. Beach but in the Chesapeake Bay area, had electricity outage and fallen limbs from trees. No flooding. The crazy/annoying thing about my FIL does not always hear the phone ringing so does not pick up when we call him to check on him. (More to this story than I care to type about.)

I have not been on-line much. Just quick log-ins to check accounts and such. I've been in Va. Beach on and off....and will continue through September inbetween Wayne getting a tumor taken off his upper right arm. It is not cancerous but growing and his doctor says it has to come out because of the surrounding blood vessels/veins. That takes place on 9/8.

I'm sorry I haven't been around to give support.

Susan, how did you do with the earthquake and hurricaine? My family and I lived for about 9 months in Mineral, VA back in the 70's. So to hear "Mineral, VA" in the news really took us back to thinking about a simpler time in our lives.

Jean, I love meatloaf. Wayne hates it. Its "funny" that you mention meatloaf because I have been looking at WW recipes for that and intend making it and freezing individual portions soon.

Donna, you'll just "love" this...when Wayne was young and dumb (teenage years) he would love to get out in that ocean right before the hurricaine would hit...and yes, surf. Of course, now he says he was crazy for doing that.

Maggie, yep dogs know when a major storm is brewing. My youngest daughter's dog was not happy before and during the hurricaine.

And now it's sunny outside. The weather is beautiful. It feels wonderful outside. The ac is off this morning. A slight breeze. Nice.

Y'all take care.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. I have lots to do today and tomorrow to gear up for Wednesday. We have to be at the surgical center at 6 am, ugh! So, I have to get all my little ducks in a row before then.

Jack's really having a time of it with his left knee now so it is good that this is all coming about when it does. He was in a lot of pain on and off over the weekend and limping around. He still insisted on doing the shampooing as I don't think he trusts me to do it right!

I am going to finish up the housecleaning today and then that will be all done again.

Not much else going on around here. We are anxious to see the kids the end of the week. I haven't seen Jackson since my bil's funeral in February and that was a pretty quick trip so it will be good to see him again and of course Jay and Alicia.

Gail: Glad you and yours are all safe and sound. The east coast has had it tough the last week that is for sure. Glad you dad is doing ok too. I imagine the girls have had a good time with grandma and are anxious to get back to school.

Maggie: Hope the jeep is coming along so you get it back soon.

Jean: Who knows with Fortune. He just gets kooky sometimes and needs a lot of attention. I know I will be glad for him to be in safe hands and get away for a week that's for sure.

Well gals, short and sweet today, but I need to get going and get things done as it is already 10 am. Have a grand start to your week. Oh, btw, here are the slippers I made for the vet tech and receptionist at the vet's office. She wanted pink and I gave her pink, but I hated the yarn and will never buy it again. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moreduffers.jpg (30.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to church and am home again. I need to get some church birthday cards ready to mail for Sept. birthdays. It doesn't seem possible Labor Day is next week! Time does fly by.

Gail -- I'm so glad to see you today! Most of all I'm glad you and your family are safe in spite of Irene. You have been busy with family obligations for sure. I hope Wayne's surgery goes ok; how long will he have to be off work to recuperate?

"Gma" -- Enjoy your squeaky clean house today! I'm sure both of you are more than ready for Jack's surgery to be over and done with. At least Jackson's visit will be a bright spot for you. The slippers turned out cute. I'm always surprised at how the color pattern turns out after you felt them.

Susan -- I hope your electricity is back on soon and you are safe. I'm assuming that's why you haven't been here the last couple days.

Maggie -- What are you up to today?

I need to call the doctor's office and make an appointment for my "fat" feet! Hope you all are having a marvelous Monday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-29-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #7  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Well...here I am again! Twice in one day!

Jean, Wayne has had this tumor for a looooong time. It began about 15 years ago. It started out as big as an eraser on a pencil. And it stayed that way for a loooong time. The doctor said it was just a fatty tumor and not to worry about it; however, if Wayne wanted it removed he could anytime. It didn't bother him until the last 12-18 months. It started growing about three years ago. Finally, Wayne went to see our family doctor and he said because the color changed (it now looked purple and sometimes it stung) the doctor referred him to a surgeon. Immediately the surgeon said he didn't like the color of it and before he would cut into it, Wayne had to get a CT scan and some blood work done. The surgeon was worried that the blood vessels and veins were running into the tumor. From what he can tell by the scan nothing is attached but he did say he wouldn't know until he went in but now he has better idea of what he's going to encounter so he's prepared. It is not cancerous. This will be an outpatient kind of thing at the Surgicenter attached to our hospital. He'll come home that evening. Because it's scheduled on a Thursday, the doctor thinks he'll go back to work the following Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. Wayne and I will be relieved when the thing is gone!

Donna, I'm sorry to hear that Jack is in so much pain! He sounds like Wayne in that he will take over a certain household chore if he thinks he can do it a better job of it...which I allow him to do! I love the color of the slippers. I am finally through with the lacey scarf. Well, the knitting of it. I have to block it now. This is not my favorite part of knitting. The grandkids were over earlier and they have gone through my yarn and have picked out the colorway they liked for some winter gloves I'm supposed to be starting on next. I had better get started because if I don't it will be Winter 2013 before they get them!!

Later...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said we will only get up into the high 80's this day with isolated T-storms. However they also said by Wednesday we will be back up into the triple digets. We takes it as it comes. This is the last weigh day in this tri-mester and next weeks starts the last 4 months of weigh days. I have my self convinced to make it a good 4 months and pay attention to my program closer. I need to make a good showing for the year. I have been slacking off on my exercise and that is not a good thing. Well the Jeep goes back in on Thursday. Seems when it heats up it triggers something and they need to find that "something" that is the cause of the problem. When it first starts out and is cool it shifts fine then it warms up and shifts funny. This has become the process of elimination. Good thing they give us a loaner.

DONNA FAYE Men just gotta do what they think they can do best. Those slippers are beautiful. They will put a smile on her face for sure. What fun you will have with the visiting Jackson. I imagine he has grown some since you last saw him. It won't be long now when your hubby will have his pain taken care of. What a wonderful day that will be for the two of you.

JEAN It will be nice for you to find out what is making your feet swell and then you can "fix it." Every time I go to the doc I am asked if my feet swell. They don't but they may start. I can see Labor Day from here for it is so close.

GAIL I am so relieved that you and yours didn't get any horiffic damage from that storm. That was so wide spread and sure did some great damage to some inland communities ~ "they" say it is the worst in 100 years. Even though it was a catagory 1 it packed a whollop. Be safe my friend.

OH SUSAN I sure hope you didn't lose your electricty and came through this unscathed. It was one wide spread storm that was serious.

I need to round up some lunch. Type at y'all later.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Maggie, I was thinking the same thing--I have got to make a good showing for the year of 2011 in weight loss. I tend to look at this journey in seasons or quarters also.

Sooooo...since my car is running a little "iffy" I'm going to go tomorrow morning in town (at the local senior center about a 3-minute drive from my house) instead of driving 30-40 minutes to the WW center. I'm starting out "fresh" tomorrow and going on from there. It would be a shame for me to gain back what I've lost. As it stands now I've gained back about 8-9 lbs. And THAT is killin' me...literally. How many times will I have to give myself this same pep talk? Probably (being realistic) for the rest of my life but hopefully I'll catch myelf in time before I do real damage. I find as I get older this little bit of weight gained hurts my knees especially my left one. When I began (again) in July 2010, I immediately felt the benefit of losing the first 5 pounds. That five pounds took a lot of pressure off my knee. And even though I have no where near regained the weight back that I have lost since then regaining the 8 lbs. that I have is making me feel it. So I guess my body gets used to the weight I've lost and when I regain a certain amount it doesn't like it! Not one bit. So...at 7:45am tomorrow I will be sitting in a chair at WW. I would like to lose 25 pounds by the end of the year. THAT is my goal.

Last edited by GailR; 08-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

BACK TO YACK A BIT

GAIL Your plan to lose 25 by the end of this year is do-able for it is 6 1/4 pounds a month for the remaining 4 months which makes it about 1 1/2 a week. Lets us keep our FOCUS and do this together one day at a time. I put my charm bracelet on today and it isn't coming off for the duration. That's too bad about your car acting up. What are you looking to buy to replace it? You may find you like the WW place you will be going to that is closer. We are just trying to get our Jeep fixed up and they keep searching for the problem which they will find eventually ~ but we do want to keep it. They aren't making the Rubicon Rock Crawler with the features we have in it anymore. Yes, lets join forces and go down this road to thin hand in hand my friend. We can stop and rest on that parkbench to catch a breather and contiplate our loses along the way. "Old friends, sat on the parkbench like bookends." Yep I am going to knucke down and buckle down this next 4 months of this year.

Type at y'all later.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #11  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Donna...I went back to do some back-reading of posts and I read that Jack is due to go into the hospital for surgery any day now the way I figure it. What day exactly? No matter--I'm prayin' for him that his recovery will be quick...and I also read that he's lost 43 lbs.?! My goodness! I know you are proud of him! I also read that you got a better deal at a hotel for your vacation. That is wonderful! I'm so thrilled for you both--Jack will be feeling good and will be going on your vacation soon! You both deserve the vacation!

Maggie, if I stay focused (and I can do that because I've done it before) I'll get to my goal on time. Add in a few days of walking and since I looooove the Fall, walking will be a wonderful time of the year for it. Hmmmm...we have been discussing our options for a new vehicle. Right now, the 2012's are just coming onto the lots. Since we don't know if we will be trading in Wayne's truck....we're thinking about doing a "clean sweep" of vehicles...I'm either going to get a Mustang or a Jeep Cherokee. It would make more sense to buy a Jeep Cherokee because Wayne will get a discount. We've been looking at a Camaro but I'm not crazy about that. Right now there is only a black Camaro on the lot and I don't want that color. I just think people think I'm a cop or a drug dealer with that black car!! LOL All I know is I need a new vehicle because I will be driving back and forth to Va. Beach a lot during the Fall.

Okay...gotta go. The washing machine is playing it's sweet little tune...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #12  

Electric finally came back on. We still have thousands in the area without so I'm not complaining.

God blessed us because Hurricane Irene made that little sweve to the NNE so we got plenty of rain, flooding, trees down, etc. but not as bad as it could have been - Isabel was worse. Storm surge was 7.5 so .4 less.

I feel like I'm coming down with something - achy in my joints, headache and my ears are hurting. I'll read all the posts and reply tomorrow.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit Again

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We just got back from driving about the country. Will's birthday is the first of next month and we had planned to go out to eat in a place out of town but since the Jeep will be in the shop we decided to just use some coupons we have for Applebees that night and go out on Saturday night to celebrate his birthday at that place the Donalds ex chef has a restaurant. I will be sure and save up points for that meal.

GAIL You wil love having a Jeep Cherokee. Room in it to haul folks around and about. O - but you know how I love Mustangs also . . . especially if they are convertables. Remember my yellow one? OH so much fun that car was. But don't let me influence you for "after all" it is your car.

SUSAN It is good that you now have your power back on. I noticed on the news you didn't get hit as bad as they thought your area would which is a good thing for sure. OOOO ~ don't you go and get sick now. Have a good hot mug of chicken broth which I gurantee will make you feel better.

Everyone have a good nights sleep. I think I will go watch Greta now.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone. I have errands and a haircut to do today then getting everything ready for tomorrow morning. We have his cooling unit and crutches already in the car and when I get home today I will get together the knitting and such I want to take tomorrow since we have to be there so very early. We are going to pack a small bag for Jack and he is going to wear blue jeans to the surgical center, but then wear his gray exercise shorts home from the hospital. Good thing we are doing this in summer as it makes for an easier time getting clothing on him to take him home as the knee is heavily wrapped in ace bandage on top of the gauze type stuff, etc. and the brace looking thing that has the cooling water running through it is between the gauze bandages and the ace bandage so he has a "big" knee!

I never told you what the stupid management company here has gone and done. You know they sent us a letter a couple months ago telling us why they didn't open the pool lot's of balogna about last year and fights and threats and such from people coming here who don't live here. Anyway, you know I am tired of the excuses they give for not doing stuff and they also cut out the painting of the units, though if we as residents didn't keep the outside looking proper we would hear about it I am sure. We no longer have any security even once in awhile, they need to pave the streets, which they say they have no money for, and on and on. Well, we got this letter with an application for a parking permit for a space outside the garages, ie if you use your garage for storage, or have more than two cars, that sort of thing. Well, you have to pay $120 for a parking place!!!!! On top of that, now you have to go through a big rigamarole for guests to park too. It is just ridiculous. I wrote a seething letter to them because frankly I am sick and tired of things not being taken care of here. I have a back door that needs to be replaced and they haven't done that, my side garage door won't stay closed unless we keep it locked all the time, our garage floods everytime it rains because when we had the rat infestation several years ago they chewed through the concrete and they never came around and resealed the garages, and on and on. I have come to just hate it here so much. Sorry about the

I hope whomever cuts my hair today does a decent job. I colored it yesterday so I don't look so awful. I had really let it go and the gray was outrunning the red left in my hair and I looked pretty stupid, frankly. So now I have my color back and hopefully someone who knows what they are doing will cut my hair today.

I have the leg done of Thomas's second sock so am getting that done then will start the socks for my sister for her birthday. I will probably work on my sweater tomorrow at the surgical center.

We got out Thermos can cozys and they are really terrific. Like I said, I don't like diet drinks over ice from cans because the melting ice flattens out the taste and I don't drink it fast enough so it gets warm and I end up throwing half of it away. I put one in the cozy yesterday and three hours later it was still as cold as when I took it out of the fridge so it has earned it's cost already IMO.

Susan: Glad you weathered the storm. Hope you haven't got a touch of the respitory flu. You of all people don't need that. Just take it easy and get better. We will be here when you are feeling better.

Gail: As you can see from above, Jack's knee surgery is tomorrow bright and early. We have to be there at 6 am. He was in agony yesterday as he had to climb up the polymer tower, which has a ladder, sort of like a water tower and his knees were absolutely killing him. He came home almost gray colored. He took a vacation day today so he is done with work for 6 weeks now and can get that knee taken care of as much as can be done. He will eventually have to have knee replacement as this is not a permanent fix. It is only what the surgeon can do without replacing the knees and Jack won't have that done while he is still actively working. This is all from those steel decks on air craft carriers and wearing hard soled boots along with that for so long.

Maggie: We love our little SUV, but are saddened they quit making Mercury products. There is nothing like that SYNC system. It is so great to have hands free phone, listen to books or music through the system and lots of other things including gps and such. We would buy another car with this in it definitely.

Well gals, I am going to go and knit for a bit then get upstairs and shower and dress. This is going to be a weird few weeks for me having Jack home all the time. I kind of keep to a schedule and he will screw that all up! I do love having him home all the time and since we are only 2 1/2 weeks from vacation I am not going to complain! Have a great day gals. Faye
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is raining here, but no thunder nor lightning. This is the first morning I haven't had to get dressed and leave the house first thing in the morning for a week. That reminds me of another good reason to retire. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and should make a grocery list for my least favorite chore afterwards.

Gail -- I hope that Wayne's surgery is a simple one; I'll be thinking of you both on the 8th! I hated shopping for a new car! Bob wanted something that sits higher than a car and I wanted something that would be "good" in snow. We both like the one I have, a Buick Enclave. His pickup has bigger tires and I feel like I fall in and out every time I go with him. Staying focused is the key to this weight loss game; I wish it wasn't so darned hard to stay on track!

Maggie -- I hope they can find the problem with your Jeep. That is a mystery for sure. I couldn't get in to see the doctor until Wednesday and do think the swelling was down yesterday. I've really tried to watch the salt intake this past week.

Susan -- I am glad to see you are back with us! I watch the videos on tv and just can't imagine the force of the flooding water and wind. I hope you are feeling better today!

"Gma" -- How long will Jack have to wear the cooling machine on his knee? I will be thinking of you both tomorrow! It's a good thing you have comfortable recliners! Wouldn't the city be responsible for fixing your streets if they are public streets? It's sad about the mismanagement of your condos. It almost makes you wonder if someone has taken off with the money rather than make necessary repairs. I hope you got a good haircut so you look spiffy first thing tomorrow morning! I didn't realize that Ford is no longer making Mercury products.

I need to get my day going. I can see the fur bunnies even w/o the sun shining in so need to do some vacuuming. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-30-2011 at 10:08 AM.