Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #106  

Walk a dog, Day 14 complete, 1 pause left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 6 complete, 1 pause left.
Calorie bank: 3160
To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing with that calorie bank. (for those of you who don't know, I add calories from beer or other unnecessary foods and subtract calories that are burned exercising, but NOT counting calories burned for my regular exercise goal.)I think it's just there as a small dose of reality. I'm almost up to 3500, which is 1 pound. In 2 weeks. So that's how easy it is to gain weight. I'd have to run about 30 miles to burn that off. Depressing.
My exercise schedule is constantly being adjusted according to the weather and how busy I am, so I'm changing my exercise "schedule" to do 1 major work out everyday, resting once a week. Major work out being the gym, running, biking or swimming. I'm thinking about some serious calorie counting myself, but probably not until next month sometime.
Hi Jolly, good to have you back. Sorry about May.
Welcome Michellelee!
Red, it's awesome that you have a fairy godmother helping you out with the kitties! It's so nice to hear about the GOOD people around us! I loved your coment about falling off the wagon, by the way.
Derry, here's to the right attitude!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #107  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wink

Ok, was pretty good yesterday. All day long I thought about what I'd written to derry about attitude and it made a big difference. So much was simply changing my thoughts and changing the feeling of how I was going to go about something. It was the same feeling I have when I finally get down to work and write an article (here I usually put it off until the last moment when I know if I don't get into the writing phase I won't make deadline.) It was just a "do it!" feeling, no more hemming and hawing, no more thinking about whether I wanted to or not, simply just doing it.

I need to do this most of the time, instead of only occasionally, which is the way I am now. Because, that's just it, losing weight isn't that hard. I mean, I'm not trying to get ripped for a bodybuilding contest or anything. I'm only trying to get the rolls off. The thing is, I have never liked this feeling of "just doing it," that's why I always put it off. I like to space out and play around in my head, not be "on." Yeah, head case, that's me. Well, how about if I allow the zoning out but only if there is NO food or drink involved (no cigs either).

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 5 completed

Apple -- good to see you back. Well, it sounds to me like your calorie bank idea is a lot like my challenge. It's still an awareness builder. However, if you don't do something with it, it could be something to get depressed about, you saying you have to run 30 miles and all to work off your savings. Of course, had you not done this, you may have "saved" 15,000 calories or whatever. But theory doesn't help. That's why with my challenge it's a bit gentler. I can look at it and realize why I am the way I am and think about what I could do to change that. It's more empowering. Well, whatever works for you.

Michellelee, of course you can join us! Welcome!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #108  

1) Daily 3FC logging, day 2 complete - level 1. 1/1 pauses left
2) Eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily, day 2 complete - level 3. 3/3 pauses left.
3) Follow my workout schedule, day 2 complete - level 3. 3/3 pauses left.

Thanks for the welcome back y'all. I need to do this right.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

okay I have kept up with the challenge i have hat oatmeal every morning, and kept up with my three glasses of water, The water thing has been a lot easier than I thought. I am actually surprised. What i am not keeping up with is my logging of said challenge. Maybe when I finish this challenge, my next one can be Log things better or maybe actually log what I eat and drink. That would be helpful.
CosmicGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #110  
Never give up

Cosmic, not sure if you understand the challenge concept totally. You just count to 21. If you miss a day you take a pause or you can start over. It's always ongoing. So, if you're not doing your challenge, just start over. That's why everyone posts her days. Everyone is on a different day. The challenges have nothing to do with the thread....just wanted to make sure you understood. Good going on eating breakfast! Yum, oatmeal. It's my breakfast every morning. Champions, we!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #111  
Never give up

I had an absolutely stellar day today as far as eating and exercise went. I am afraid what the morning may bring...I have to be up at 4:30 and I fear pain! Oh well, I will pop an aspirin along with the kickstart caffeine and see where I can go.
I decided to get serious (thank you, derry!) and I may have found the meddle to get out of the mud and find my middle. Right now, I am just built like a tree trunk.
No, really, I decided to allow myself 1,500 calories plus add more for exercise. I did this before and it worked and it really motivates me to go hard at the gym but not to freak if I can't do too much exercise. Then I can just cut back on the food.....oh, hello...duh... this is what thin people do!! Oh, really....
I am still keeping the challenge lowkey for now. Consider the other thing a stealth for now. I have forecast a kilogram loss per every two weeks. That's 2.2 lbs every 14 days. Nice and slow. I will take more in the beginning and allow for a bit of fun, but I really am going to do this! I can try at least. I think it's about switching into my "serious" mindset, which is really very, very serious...I just use it only when I have to because I'm a pleasure-seeker at heart....

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 6 completed

jolly!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'8"

Yesterday was day 3 of journaling and day 3 of staying within my points. : ) This morning the scale showed that I finally lost my Christmas weight. Tonight we're going out to eat for dinner so we'll see how that goes.

Apple--Your bank idea is really interesting. Although I would probably want to eat junk so I could make deposits in the bank. : )
Michellelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #113  

Walk a dog, Day 15 complete, 1 pause left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 7 complete, 1 pause left.
Calorie bank: -3435
I guess my calorie bank IS a bit backward. It should be a negative number. I am in debt, so I made it red. Yes, I'm trying to keep aware, and sooner or later I will get it going in the right direction. Flip the switch girl!
Hello to everyone!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #114  
Never give up

Cool

Early morning here (5 a.m.) and I'm trying to get a move on it. Kept waking up last night so didn't get any great sleep. Probably eating a big salad before bed didn't help. Knocking myself out at the gym too was probably keeping me awake. In any case, I know that being tired is deadly as far as eating junk goes, especially when I can't take a nap. I have the 4-hour long train ride and can't sleep in the train because the seat are so uncomfortable and I always wind up eating all this junk or feeling very, very deprived if I don't have something to eat.

I wish I could take a fast train home but I really don't have the money. It's such a racket with the trains. They keep the lines filled with local trains and only have an expensive fast alternative. ....Well, I think of the money I spend on food and how it would be yet cheaper if I didn't spend it. Today will be a test. Can I maintain my "serious mind" even when exhausted and only being able to sit uncomfortably waiting for the train ride to be over.
Wish me luck, people!

Apple, I don't know. I like the idea of having calories in the bank to use. It's more logical to me. Calories like the calories on your body. You use them up by exercise or having a deficit in your eating during the day. Using them to eat doesn't make as much sense to me. Then again, I guess you can look at it either way. I just like the idea of our bodies being rich! But, really, seriously, we ARE so rich. When you think of all the people in the world starving for lack of food, it does bothers me that I am worrying about having too much. I guess our psyches are still right there trying to protect us.

Michelle - Excellent work!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #115  

1) Daily 3FC logging, day 3 complete - level 1. 1/1 pauses left
2) Eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily, day 3 complete - level 3. 3/3 pauses left.
3) Follow my workout schedule, day 3 complete - level 3. 3/3 pauses left.

Quickie here, then off to bed. I hear you Red, on the sleep deprivation - overating combo. I have the same problem. AND I haven't been sleeping well lately Well, better days everyone
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #116  
Never give up

Talking

I got through another day of my "serious mind" dieting (still a stealth). Wow, it's after 9 p.m. here and I am hungry! BUT, I am going to go to bed soon. I HAVE to keep this up. I did it! I did it! Even got through the long train ride, which was actually half an hour shorter because the trains were delayed and I got one that was late but actually earlier than the one I would have gotten. Only two days. It feels like two weeks! Such vigilance and SO easy to just switch off. Wow, no wonder I like to space out.

Today, I was up in the mountains where my horse is and I saw a Northern goshawk....like this...

It's rather unusual to see one in those parts apparently and I was told later that certainly something good would happen to me! Hurrah!!! Doing my goshawk dance!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-20-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #117  

Walk a dog, Day 16 complete, 1 pause left.
Stick to exercise schedule, Day 8 complete, 1 pause left.
Calorie bank: -4135
Even though the calorie debt is growing, I feel like I had a decent day yesterday. But I spent a lot of yesterday feeling like a loser because of the fact that I have let myself get this way. Bleh. I'm off for my run. I really don't feel like bringing the dog, but I have to.....
Red, beautiful bird. I agree, it must be a good sign!! I think it's good that you are hungry. I am always skeptical of diets that say you won't be hungry. I think you need to feel the hunger, and don't give in to it so easily. I think that might be a good challenge...feel the hunger....
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #118  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Well, recording a successful day yesterday on the challenge. Of course, my victories are far and above that challenge's parameters but I may keep it that way. I like not having the pressure. Like that, it brings out my closet competitiveness, which has to hide again if called out with an official challenge. Go figure.

Calorie Awareness Challenge -- Day 7 completed

jolly, how did the sleep go? I had a great night. I think going to bed on an empty stomach is a huge help. That and not having to get up early today. I am trying to just not panic, not get anxious. Those may be bigger banes to good eating habits than tiredness. Being "serious" about things though is the biggest thing I think. Without it, I fall into this feeling of entitlement, feeling I should be rewarded for my effort, and the reward is naturally junk and overeating. Well, here goes my third day. Let's see how I handle it.

Apple -- "Walk A dog?"....how many do you have? Or do you just pick one up from the neighborhood when you need one? "Heh, can I borrow your dog for a moment, ma'am? I need to walk one.." No, seriously, congrats.

Yeah, I'm with you on the hunger. Of course you have to feel hungry at some point. Eating good food and the proper timing, of course, makes a HUGE difference, but if you're not hungry then what would be the purpose of it? I mean, get real, you can't always have some food ready to stick in your mouth the moment you get a hint of hunger.

I actually like feeling hungry and, heck, we all know, overeating has next to nothing to do with hunger, right?

I would be careful about a "feel the hunger challenge" though, Apple. I have done them and they became excuses (yet again!!) for overeating and/or grazing. It's not the on switch alone. It's also the off switch. But, it all comes down to the overall calorie amount too. So, why focus on the hunger if you can calculate the calories and then just try to eat things that keep the hunger lower than other things. Like, yesterday, I knew that if I used up my calories with a candy bar I'd never be able to hold out.

Actually, its not the hunger. It's something else, the body knowing it doesn't have the nutrition it needs, so it keeps asking for it and won't stop asking until it gets it. In this way, it's NOT the calories. It's the nutrition. Here, in Skinny Land, I see lots of tiny women who do not look healthy, or they may still look ok because they all wear SO much makeup and they are very young, but they will likely age quickly because they are ONLY concerned with calories. They are so bent on staying thin that they can handle the brain begging for nutrition. I can't and don't want to do that. I look old enough already! Ok, enough of the ramble.

Last edited by redballoon; 01-20-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #119  

1) Daily 3FC logging, day 4 complete - level 1. 1/1 pauses left
2) Eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily, day 4 complete - level 3. 3/3 pauses left.
3) Follow my workout schedule, day 3 complete - level 3. 2/3 pauses left.

Was very sore and tired when I got up this morning. Late night w/being back in class last night. Heading to dog training soon too now. But anyway. Was sore and tired, so did yoga instead of the treadmill I had planned. Glad I did something.

Later all
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'8"

I almost forgot to check in today.
-journal food eaten day 4 (almost day 5)
-stay within daily points day 4 (almost day 5)

Redballoon--I have a hard time controlling my eating when I'm tired too. Good job!
Michellelee is offline   Reply With Quote