Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #61  

10 minute run, Day 18 completed, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 19 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 1, 2 pauses allowed.
No Beer, Day 14 completed, No pauses left.
Hey modcat, thanks for the much needed
I'm actually feling pretty motivated today. I went to the gym, and although I don't think their circuit is what I'll be needing in the long run, I think it will help me get started. There are other things to do there too.
My son really wants to get on the computer, so I have to go. BYE
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

OK, day 6, and I, too, am feeling more disciplined and motivated today (like Apple). I am eating very OP yesterday and today, and feel, well, just "lighter", for whatever reason. Lighter in mind and spirit as well. Amazing what a little "me" time does, as well as a day off work and just spent with DH out and about, "quality time", as opposed to just being couch potatoes in front of the boob tube. And so, back on the fitness "treadmill", in both the literal and figurative sense. I am about to go to the gym for an attempt at a 5K, which I have not done in, oh, about a month now? I probably have to work my time and fitness down again, but oh well. Last time, I was somewhere around 36 minutes, with only two brief walking periods. I could easily (ok, not easily) run 22-25 minutes before the first "break". I wonder how badly I've backtracked?

No matter. I've updated the ol' IPod with new playlists and I am anxious to go--wow! That's a change, right there! I am "anxious" to get to the gym--like I used to be!! I don't know why my mood goes up and down so, but I'm grateful that at least it continues to rebound to the "up" side fairly frequently.

Apple--alright girl! Isn't it great to find a "new" activity or routine to feel good about doing? It is one of the hardest things, to keep from being either bored or intimidated at the gym--and to find something you like and feel like it helps you achieve your goals--that's sweet! Even if later you need to progress to something different, it's enough you have some sort of initial routine that you can tweak later on. I hope your circuit goes well today!

Well, off to do a "run"--be back later, guys!
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #63  

Yaaay!! I did the 5K in 36 min, 50 seconds! Only 3 stops to walk. I can't believe I hadn't slid further! While I had done a little running around the neighborhood or for 15 minutes on the treadmill a couple of times in the last 2-3 weeks, it has been awhile since I forced myself to complete 3.1 miles! Whew! A few weights, and a few stretches, and I left--happy to have accomplished some meaningful cardio! Tomorrow--swim! (which I do about every Sunday, at least). I am feeling good today, despite the rain and clouds the last 3 days. Now, off to plan the dinner and to de-clutter/organize something!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #64  

10 minute run, Day 19 completed, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 20 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 2, 2 pauses allowed.
No Beer, Start over
Well, my DH poured me a beer for dinner with out asking, so I drank it. But again, only one beer. So not so terrible, except I have to start over.
I probably won't go back to the gym until Tuesday. I feel a little bit sore in my shoulders, but other wise not so much. I think I didn't push myself too hard since I'd never used the machines before. When I'm a bit more used to it I'll push harder.
Mod- I'm loving your positive energy! Yay! I might try a 5K too. I'm feeling competitive. I AM curious as to how long it would take. I'm guessing about the same as you.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #65  

End of day 6, not bad! Made a very healthy dinner and feel full. So finally, a really good day with a significant amount of cardio, and hopefully the same tomorrow!

Apple--I bet you can do it, maybe faster than I. I'm pretty slow, and I do have to stop and walk at least a minute each time. I have the tm set at about 5.4 or so for the first part, then about 5.2, then finish about 5.0 (mph). I can never do it as fast outside--seems harder, for some reason. But, much better than the first time I ever did it, it was about 48 minutes--lots of walking!

Well, the mood is still good, and I am wondering why the mood changes so much--b/c there was no one event or anything really that I can point to to say "that really helped or hurt me" this last week. Is it just hormones? Is it really just these crazy neuro-transmitters and such that affects us all so? I refuse to believe I am so outside of normal that I need meds--I really do not want to take meds for "every little thing" and try to steer clear of them. Because really most of the time I just think I am weak, always making excuses or procrastinating, or can't handle a little stress, or feeling neglected or misunderstood. But I feel like we truly don't understand the human mind at all, and the fluctuations of emotion, and mood.

ah well, just ruminating here. I just wish I could bottle this feeling and delve into it whenever I feel it lacking....
Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #66  

PS--Apple-- the beer thing is admirable, really. Or rather, no beer thing. I did a no alcohol challenge earlier, as well. You are to be commended, (as well as Red) for trying to cut that out completely. I probably should try again to do that, as it helps so much with weight loss. But I just have an occasional drink, so I don't feel like it is really sabotaging my efforts too badly. And especially on the week-ends, a good dinner just begs for a little red wine. (Or a football game and a beer.) But I am mindful about any over-indulging, or anything more than 2-3 times/week. But I am totally in awe of all that can do it--as I realize how much of a challenge that truly is!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #67  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Lightbulb Do it like Edison!

Hey there, Apple and mod! I just don't feel like writing but I have had two great days! Well, not so hot eating but exercise was great, so I am getting pysched again. I just don't really want to make a challenge yet. I am going to experiment again. Though it didn't happen at once I have had what you can call a lightbulb moment. I have decided to consider my weight-loss attempts to be like Edison trying to invent the lightbulb. Every time I fail, I am that much closer to finally having it ALL click! I feel I am indeed closer to that time.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

He also apparently said:

"****, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."

I like that one too!
(Deep breath). Yes, I can do this!
mod, I think a LOT is hormones. It is with me and I am sick of it, really sick. I don't like having my mind screwed around with so much. I mean, and this is when I am not drinking, not eating sugar. I shouldn't have to have these days of depression and gorging. Why? Just because!
Apple, I was just about to write and congratulate you on the no beer when you posted saying you had to start over. Too bad. But, like you said, it was only ONE, so you are still way ahead of the game. If it were me, it'd be an entire evening and on til morning. Granted, the pace drops considerably after midnight. Good luck on your other challenges. You're almost through!!
And thanks to BOTH of you for keeping things going here.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #68  

Red---awesome, awesome quotes you posted there! I love inspirational, thoughtful, or funny quotes! I hope you don't mind if I appropriate one to add to my signature. I have already posted them on my "sticky" of quotes I love!

It is so good to hear from you! For some reason, we have reversed roles--now I am the chatty one and feel the need to post often, to keep in touch, when you know there are times I don't (or can't). A lot of course has to do with that all-encompassing "mood". But just as much has to do with me feeling really back on track and "with it" again. Sometimes I feel a little out of it, which leads to introvertedness, I guess. Other times I am like the quintessential extrovert. And it is easier to be extroverted online nowadays than in real life.

Anyway, start of Day 7--I did not go to swim, but am in the middle of a major de-cluttering project. I am still a little tired from my "long" run yesterday, but I will get out later with the dogs--they need to run a bit and get in their cardio, haha. Finally the sun has graced us with it's presence, and even though we have a lot of clouds, at least it is on a backdrop of blue sky (mostly). It seems brighter at least and no rain today is expected, I don't think. (Although we do really need it--we are still in a 7-year drought--which makes for awesome weather but not good for us at all!)

Just found some stuff for my hair and face, and that, combined with some ingredients from my fridge and pantry, will occupy me for awhile as I make up some masks to apply and leave on while organizing stuff (and coincides nicely with my <forced> new-found frugality to not spend so much $ out on stupid stuff, like facials and hair treatments).....

Last edited by modcat44; 01-25-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #69  

10 minute run, Day 20 completed, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 21 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 3, 2 pauses allowed.
No Beer, Start over
Wow, I actually finished a challenge! It's been a long time for that!!
Well, I'll just keep going with that one!
No restart on the beer though, had some again with dinner last night.But again, under control. No late night Red-like party. Oh believe me, it hasn't been so long since I've done that! That's the habit I really need to quit, but as far as losing weight, I really need to stay away from empty calories.
Well, it's certainly great to have this upbeat turn on this thread! Positively illuminating!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #70  

APPLE!! Another one bites the dust! (oooh the early eighties rearing their head, hehe!) And you will finish another one tomorrow, it looks like. But it's funny about the beer--'cause it's on the one week-end in several months without any football! Oh....maybe everyone's household doesn't revolve around sports like mine seems to do at times. And around here, football is the BIGGEST one of them all.

Well, currently sitting here organizing the bathroom drawers and I have on a homemade hair mask and a face mask. The face is very interesting shade of green, and thick and clay-ey. Already my facial muscles of expression are frozen (temporarily!). My DH always has to laugh every time he looks at me. Oh well, as long as a neighbor doesn't stop by!......
Old 01-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #71  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hey Gals - glad to see so much chatting going on here I finally got my computer back and set-up. Then I had to email and apologize to the friends stuck inside my computer Wow, has it been a whole week since I logged in? Sorry to be such a slacker. I've been mostly on-track and am happy (and perplexed) to report that once I decided to just let the weight I'm at be my goal (after 6 months of fighting it) I dropped 2 lbs. The universe has a sense of humor.

Where I am, assuming I'm on track to do the right thing today:
* Chocolate Challenge, Rnd 2 - No solid chocolate, 2/3 serving sized pauses. First challenge completed 12/20. 26/21 - used 3 pauses.
I'm going to stop tracking this one because I am where I want to be with it. Don't be surprised to see it come back again in the future though. Chocolate and I have a long and complex relationship

* Grain Challenge - Limit of 3 grain servings per day, 1 pause used.27/21 This, like the veggie challenge, is a getting back on track challenge so I'm not carrying it forward.

* Exercise challenge, Rnd 2 - yoga, weights or stretches every day. 1 pause First round completed 12/22. Restarted 1/5 - 13/21, 1 pause used. Well blew this one again. I need to restart and rethink. It may just be unreasonable for me to try this without pauses, at least the first time through.

* Journal Challenge, Rnd 2 - Journal everything that goes into my mouth,no pauses. First round completed 23/27. Took a break when computer crashed. 22/21. Another getting back on track challenge completed.

* The Stay out of the Jar with a Spoon Challenge. No more than 1 serving size of nuts or nut butter daily. No pauses 17/21.

I'll be back tonight to update and add new challenges.

Red - You are so right on about each attempt bringing you closer. I found the same thing when I quit smoking (told my DD that the other day). Every time you try you learn something new about yourself and what works for you. It won't be long before you have all the pieces you need. As far as moods and binging go, everyone is different but South Beach really helped me get that stuff under control. I actually didn't think it would, just thought it would be a healthy way to eat but I've been impressed at how well it helped with the crazy eating. Not to say I'm perfect, as you all know from the chocolate and nut butter challenges Anyway, one from the FWIW department.

Apple - Way to go with the running! I wish I could get motivated on the crunches. Do you do the regular style or one of the new lower ab variations? I've been trying the yoga leg lift things - they kill me but I know my abs are way too weak.

Mod - !! It's good to see you again and wow, doing great.

Okay, gotta go get a workout in. See you all later
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #72  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Unhappy sugar bloat....

Morning all. Monday here and I'm late as usual. That's what happens when you stay up too late just enjoying a tiny bit of down time and the next morning realize that having just 8 hours sleep is going to put you over the time you should be OUT of the house. Oh well. I am feeling sore (from the gym no doubt) but with the beginnings of a sore throat. I hope I can keep that at bay because there's a lot of influenza going around and the owner of the riding club got hit with it yesterday. I really need to cut out the sugar. Yesterday, I was doing fine and then just had some right before going to bed because it was there (the box!) and because I could. Oh well, it could have been a lot worse. Still. Sugar always bloats me badly.
Well, I'm going to try to get through today without any anxious eating. Calm, calm, calm, this has to be my mantra.

mod -- Glad you liked the quotes. And of course I don't mind if you use one. They aren't mine! Yes, you certainly are chatty lately. It's great! And I certainly don't feel like talking these days. It's odd. Even when I'm racing along on caffeine. The caffeine kick did give me some good times in the gym the past two days. I wish I had had more time yesterday but it was closing.

Apple -- Way to go on the exercise challenge!!! Three cheers for Apple!!! Tell me, was your run in addition to the additional exercise or part of it. In either case, you are doing well. Keep it going!

Cyndi -- Good to see you back again and boy, are you ever going heavy on the challenges! Wow. In my present unchallenged state, they are quite overwhelming. You know, going off sugar and processed foods always helped me tremendously too with the cravings and outside of pms time, it still does, but recently, pms week has been next to impossible to ignore my body wanting to EAT! Oh ****, a lot of the feeling probably comes from me wanting to eat because I'm so down and then the cold can't help. I'm not going to fret about it. At least my skin is not as bad as it was this time of year last year. Gotta look on/for the bright/brighter side.

Over on the blog lynsweigh, http://lynnsweigh.blogspot.com/ in an interview with Jennette Fulda, author of "Half-Assed," the Q and A goes like this:

How is maintenance different/same as weight loss?

Jennette: It's the same because you have to keep doing everything you did to lose weight, but it's different because you don't get the reward of seeing the number on the scale go down or the joy of fitting into a smaller size of jeans. If anything, you sometimes go up on the scale or your pants start to feel tighter.
It's also important to keep things interesting. Anything gets boring if you do it too much, so I try to preserve that sense of enthusiasm I had for healthy living that I did at the beginning. If I let myself get into a rut, I have to remember to try new activities or foods that will keep life interesting. For example, I recently signed up for a race up 37 floors of a skyscraper as a new way to challenge myself.

And over on Escape from Obesity blog http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/ the talk continues with another question...

Are you still regulating your food in the same way? Do you ever feel like it's a burden?

Jennette: I stay aware of what I'm eating and always try to make the best choices. Sometimes if I'm particularly stressed, sad or alone I might grab a chocolate bar, but as long as I'm eating healthy 80-90% of the time I feel like I'm doing well. There are some days it certainly feels like a burden. I'll find myself sitting on the couch thinking about food, wishing I could stop thinking about food and wonder why my brain works this way. I've accepted that this is just the way I am and this is the problem I have to deal with in life. At least I'm not a crack whore

Now, this is sobering because it shows that it's no party on maintenance. Now, I sit here thinking that I would be ecstatic to be slim and lean and able to wear the clothes I wanted, but tell me, why is that every time I lose 5-10 pounds and feel GOOD do I wind up gaining 'em back and then some? Huh? What goes? So, I think what Jennette is saying is going to hold true. You have to keep vigilant always. It's just the way we are made. We're survivors and eating is a survival behavior. Duh. We have to be DISCIPLINED. God, I hate that word, right up there with "moderation" ......

Last edited by redballoon; 01-25-2009 at 08:05 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #73  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I can attest to the maintenance thing, if only with 6 months experience. When I slacked off I re-gained 6 lbs and they were a whole lot more work getting rid of the second time. No matter how much of a hassle it feels like though I would rather be fit and healthy in a size 4 than tired, unable to walk up a flight of stairs, and moodier than anyone should have to live with in a size 24. It's not perfect when you get where you're heading but it's a whole lot better and absolutely worth it. The FWIW Department is getting a workout tonight And now I better do the same!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #74  

well, I'm at work and a little bored--so decided to check in. Hi CindiM!!
I am so good--I brought carrot sticks to work and have been nibbling away like a rabbit! But, trying to post on my IPhone is driving me crazy!! So I'll have to wait until I'm home to write more!! TTYL!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #75  

10 minute run, Day 21 completed!!
20 min additional exercise, Day 21 completed!!
Crunches, Day 4, 2 pauses allowed.
No Beer, Start over
Back on a bit of a beer binge I guess. Again, in moderation, and I'll be back on challenge today! Football is huge here at my house too. There actually was a football game on Saturday evening, the Senior Bowl. They are still not done with all these silly bowl games. But I don't usually drink beer with football anyway. I'm more of a beer while I cook dinner, beer with dinner type.
The 10 minute run is supplemented with the 20 min additional, for a total of 30 min. I'm upping the run to 15 for the next challenge. I'm taking today off though. I'm just doing regular old crunches, and when I feel like I'm in some sort of shape, I'll start throwing in some sets of different ones. The yoga leg lifts are intriguing, how do you do those?
Well, its great to hear all of you are doing well.
Red, are you eating sugar straight out of the box? Is that it?!!
I don't even want to think about maintaining. Ughh.