Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #16  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

It's the cheering produce section! Way to take control Modcat!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #17  

10 minute run, Day 3 completed, 2 pauses left
20 min additional exercise, Day 3 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 2 completed, 1 pause left.
Forgot to do crunches yesterday. Haven't put myself on a no beer challenge, but maybe I should. I went 2 days with out, but then had some last night. All we have in the house now are special brews that were gifts; stuff that has to be shared. So maybe that will keep me in control. I'm still not talking myself into it. OK, no beer, 2 pauses allowed.
Modcat, great challenges! I'm sure you'll sail through!
Cyndi, I probably need to count cals too. The food that always gets me is the nuts. They are supposed to be so good for you, but even a few can put up the calorie count too much! And thanks for kicking some you are a great motivator.
Hi Red! I wish I had a solution for your itching! I get dry skin in winter that can keep me awake at night if I don't take care of it. I've found that a body or massage oil applied right after a shower does the trick.
Wow thats a big radish. I don't really care for them. Maybe one bite, but thats about it. They are supposed to be very cleansing.
See ya later chicks!

Last edited by Apple Blossom; 01-07-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #18  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Angry do or die!!

Hey all. I AM trying to find my balance again after yesterday. I started eating sugar at work. In fact, I WANT it now. I started and kept going and then at home I was doing a real allout binge that had me back in my teen years when I binged all the time because of problems at home.
Today, I naturally felt ill and instead of going out to see my horse, which would have offered me much needed calm, I decided to cancel and go to the gym before the office.
I have not been at the gym yet this year. It seems like weeks. It's only one.
I have to get back to a point of relative peace. Otherwise, what's the point? I can't ride. I'm too ill and upset. If I retire my horse I can leave the job. Either I don't let this get to me or I get out. Simple as that.
Wish me luck.
Challenges are back. A total of FOUR. That's right. FOUR big ones. I got sick of all the no, no, nos, so I switched No. 3 around to really name what I CAN do. It's going to be tough.
In addition to

1) NO BOOZE (no pauses)
2) NO CIGARETTES (no pauses)
there will be added
3) EAT only natural, unprocessed foods (that means no sugar, no processed foods, no white flour or sugar) (three pauses allowed)
4) MUST JOURNAL EVERYTHING WITH A CALORIE ESTIMATE AND TOTAL IT!! (no pauses allowed)

Ok, too late to talk to you all now. Apple, mod, Cyndi, thanks for the support. I took it to heart! You all hang in there. Later!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

End of day 1 and I am successful--yay me. I am strong today, just want this feeling to last. Tomorrow I am off for the first time this week and I am going to the store to stock up on fruit and veggies and stuff like that. I will also get out cookbooks (the healthy ones) and look through them to pick out a few menus for the next week. I think my palate was getting jaded here recently. Time to wake it up again!

That's the spirit Red! You are on your way back! I know you will feel better tomorrow, and no, you are not going to give up on your horse. Just try to breathe....... the peace will start to come. And yes, that sugar addiction is one of the toughest ones to break--I'd venture about as tough as cigs, but I don't speak from experience there, so I don't really know. It is a vicious cycle, the hugely strong cravings even a little sugar can start up--it really is like crack, I think!

Apple, I love nuts as well, and do allow myself some most every night. I usually eat mine with a little square (or two) of dark chocolate. Except pistachios--I could eat a whole bag by myself (DH loves them also, so they don't last around here, that's for sure!)

CyndiM--LOVED the cheering produce section! and I echo Apple, thanks for the We all need someone to give us a little prod now and again. Sometimes I just have to get out of my own way, ya' know? Then I can go far!.....

See everyone tomorrow!

Last edited by modcat44; 01-07-2009 at 09:47 PM.
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #20  

10 minute run, Day 4 completed, 2 pauses left
20 min additional exercise, Day 4 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 3 completed, 1 pause left.
No Beer, Day 1 completed, 2 pauses left
I did extra crunches yesterday to make up for the pause day.
I tried on pants yesterday. Talk about depressing.I'm feeling really impatient about the hard work ahead. I must stick to it I must stick to it I must stick to it........
Mod, I'm with yuo on the menus. It's something I need to get into the habit of doing. OOO, is that a future challenge??
Red, keep reminding yourself to be strong. Once you get back on track you are so good at staying on it! So buckle down, chica, and get over the hump!

Last edited by Apple Blossom; 01-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #21  
Never give up

Smile feeling better...

Hi all. I'm feeling better. I was able to get to the gym yesterday morning and did a little. Though I later felt bad in the office like I was getting a cold, it lifted.
Another hellish day there, but the attack was not directly directed at me (as it was the previously day). Interestingly, I noticed that when the attack is directed at someone else, I am totally energized by it in acting to protect the victim. Strange, isn't? Like with so much, so many of us tend to put ourselves last, be caught off guard, become despairing, and such like when it's about us, but have great advice, help etc. when it involves someone else. Not good. I suppose the trick is to learn how to gain distance and put ourselves outside of ourselves, look at ourselves as if we were bystanders and then take action, take heart, but not let it get to us!
OK, I know this sounds totally whimpish but I am easing my challenges. I am going to allow for a lot more room in the eating one because I want to be able to continue it while making progressing instead of the ultra strictness followed by an explosion that I generally see.
I am NOT going to do this for alcohol, however, because the results on the moderation experiment are in. I cannot, do not want to, just have one of something. It snowballs. It's like a Law of Nature with me. Alcohol and I can't be just friends. When we meet, it's like lightning!

No Booze challenge
Day 21/5 (second number is straight days) Yet another round completed!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 pauses taken/none left --starting new streak Jan. 4 -- longest streak 56 days Nov. 5 to Dec. 31
No Smoking challenge
(Started Nov. 5)
Day 2/65 fourth round, no pauses -- Third round COMPLETED!!! JAN. 6
Good eating challenge
3) Day 1 completed -- Description: Make a strong attempt to eat only natural, unprocessed foods (that means no sugar, no processed foods, no white flour or sugar) Anything is allowed but only if the good food is getting in and I have not binged! (three pauses allowed)
Food log challenge
4) Day 1 completed -- Description: Journal food and start writing in calories and building a calorie log of foods often eaten. (no pauses allowed)
Again, gotta run, but Apple and mod, thanks SO much for your belief in me!!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #22  
Working on healthy

Red - this produce is for YOU!

I'm in the middle of making dinner but had to send the produce your way I'll be on less for the next week. My desktop died and my tech is having surgery tomorrow. I'm using my weekend laptop but it's really not comfortable for regular use so I'm on less. I'm also taking a break from the journaling challenge as my software is on my desktop (my co-worker says my friends are in there too!!).
Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #23  
Never give up

Unhappy ..................

As I sit here yet again in mid sugar binge I resolve to start tomorrow on a strict regime...... Is that sad or what? I don't know, people. I don't know what hit me. Life?
Anyhow, NO drinking and I almost, almost, almost hung around to hook up with some sure drinkers. Last night too I turned down a persistent invitation (though that was easy because I felt sick anyhow) but tonight I hung around and then LEFT alone 10 minutes before I would have come to the point of NO RETURN. (play Twilight Zone music here...)

Anyhow, what can I say, I'm a jerk, I'm insane. I don't know. I just KNOW I only work with super strict regimes. It must make me feel oddly and somehow (in my warped mind) interesting. Anyhow, I've decided I have to do something weird in its strictness. Starting TOMORROW....tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll start the day tomorrow with a smile..or two...Mr. Rogers, no? anyone? Ok, I'm from Pittsburgh (as he was) and the sugar is doing bizarre things to my mind...(she says as if it wasn't bizarre to begin with)......HELP!!!!!!

No Booze challenge
Day 1/6 (second number is straight days) Yet another round completed!! 3 pauses --starting new streak Jan. 4 -- longest streak 56 days Nov. 5 to Dec. 31
No Smoking challenge
(Started Nov. 5)
Day 3/66 fourth round, no pauses -- Third round COMPLETED!!! JAN. 6

Last edited by redballoon; 01-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #24  

Red--What's with these personal attacks? What kind of crazy co-workers are you working with? It sounds altogether mean-spirited where you work--no wonder you are determined to find another job sometime soon! It actually sounds like junior high--no maturity, no respect, no tolerance for others, no compassion, a bunch of clicks.......I couldn't work in that environment, I don't think! MAJOR kudos to you for biting your tongue and trying to get along, sticking up for other victims when they are attacked, and NOT falling back into old habits of escape from the stress (i.e.--alcohol, cigs). What a tough climate you have to go into every day!!

CyndiM--I hate computer problems! I have had computers unexpectedly die on me, and I just almost panic! I have gotten so dependent on them now.....

Apple--ahhh, the ol' pants test rises it's ugly head once again! I totally understand.....But you are off to a strong start and now, it's just a matter of marking off the days, putting in the time, doin' the routine, and before you know it, you'll look behind you and marvel at how far you've come already....

Well, the start of Day 3, not doing so badly, even at (one) birthday dinner last night with a friend. No scale for me except for TBL challenge once/week, as I am on another challenge to NOT step on the scale for 6 weeks!! I thought that was gonna be tough, but it is becoming a relief, not to see a slight fluctuation and then feeling bad, beating myself up about it--at least for awhile. I'm sure I will get antsy and worried if that continued too long. I am considering having my DH read the scale and come to my computer and post the weight on the weigh-in page for TBL, just to be true to the no scale challenge on the other thread. Just not sure if I want him to really know my true weight, haha! (Or to know my screen name or start reading my old posts......)

Well, more later--off to a class to work off some of this poundage......
Old 01-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #25  

10 minute run, Day 5 completed, 2 pauses left
20 min additional exercise, Day 5 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 4 completed, 1 pause left.
No Beer, Day 2 completed, 2 pauses left
So I'm going good with this running thing, even though the dogs are driving me crazy. I tried to go out last night dogless but since it was dark my husband made me take one. Not only is it annoying to have to stop and start so much, I also can't bring music and it becomes more of a dog training session then a good pound out the frustrations run. Plus who likes running along with a bag of s**t?? Grrr. At least the dogs are happy. (insert happy dog icon here)
I still don't think that this is enough exercise to make a difference. I need to find a class I can take regularly, maybe twice a week. Hard to find, but I'll keep looking....
Red, I'm with you on the can't just have one... I had a bit too sugary dessert last night and felt nauseous later on. Wondering if it was related.
Mod, I don't know about the scale thing. Right now it is certainly not doing me any good. If I was actually seeing results I'd be encouraged by it, but it's to early on in my exercise program for that. So it's just a downer now...
Hey cyndi, hope your copmuter survives with minimal cost to you! It's amazing how dependent we become. My SIL moved to a new home and after 2 months they still don't have a connection. That would be one of the first things I would do. Before the phone, even.
Well, that's all for now. Later, Chicks!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #26  
Never give up

Cool it's now or never....

Hello. Got up this morning but canceled riding and crawled back to bed. Just too down. A sugar hangover makes it all the worse. Now I am trying to blast out of that with coffee.
I mean it. Today I am going to get this right.
I don't like giving in to anything that is keeping me down, a filthy room, attacks, depression, sugar, alcohol, smoking. So, I've got the last two in a death grip and the others are up to me because they are constant and I have to learn and polish my fighting skills EVERY day to thwart them. Well, the last two too but with them I can keep them well beyond the moat. The others penetrate behind the walls of the Kingdom of Redballoon. They are omnipresent. (Sigh.)

mod -- Sorry to scare you. I didn't want to go into specifics and details as this is, after all, a public forum. But being too vague makes things sound worse than they are. I work at a newspaper and papers have always been crazy in the best of times. However, in good times, they can be full of a LOT of positive, creative energy and people flying on good work and a sense of personal achievement. In bad times, however, as we are experiencing now (all newspapers are) the office nurtures everything bad and it poisons the entire environment.

Cutbacks, lack of budget, lack of leadership, lack of direction, confusion, hard feelings are all there and what is not really meant as a personal attack comes out as one. It's just disheartening more than anything. I can't blame people for losing it. A lot of them were never too mature. They have their own problems, full-blown drinkers etc. The personal attack I took care of afterward by calling in that person's superior and demanding it be handled by proper channels, that I would file an official complaint and that the person's behavior must change. So much is tolerated because of the lack of leadership etc. And others are affected. The effect ripples out. No one does anything. I am constantly having to rise up and say, "it's going to stop here!" And that all, though I can do it, I do at extreme cost because I am actually very sensitive. An odd mix perhaps but one that is perhaps necessary in order to recognize the problems and what a lot of others go through.

The other attack was one of the kind we get all the time, from outsiders, readers, the public, whatever. This one was a man harassing two of our reporters and they were near tears thinking they had done something wrong when they hadn't. So, not only did I have to step in and deal with the jerk (without really letting loose and opening the company or myself up to lawsuit) but I had to/wanted to then help the young reporters realize this was not their fault.

We field calls from irate readers, nutcases, whatevers every day. They see fit to attack a paper for a number of reasons, often totally personal ones. Email has actually made it easier but it is depressing to read the letters. But the callers are far worse. Someone working on the news desk with a skeleton crew or even alone works his butt off to get good coverage in the paper and then has to field a call from a caller irate over the fact that two photos of Israeli dead were used, which in his mind obviously means we are biased and should be condemned. Stuff like that. From such, to typos and poor headlines, to why didn't you use that, to that photo was too graphic, to where are the cricket matches? You can't please everyone but they expect this. And this has to be pleasantly fielded by people who are working under worsening conditions without a word of thanks or appreciation. So, you see, it's just the way it is, no real crazier than probably any paper, but it could be a lot better if we had a strong leader.

Anyhow, sorry for the long explanation. I thought you deserved one though since you were so sweet to show such concern for me.

And thanks much for your congratulations! As for asking your husband to read the scale. You could always have him email the weight to a friend, one who could then post it, one whom you wouldn't mind knowing your sign-in name etc.

Apple -- I hear you on the dog run. I guess you'll have to try to make time to run when it is still light. Is that possible? As for the poopsie bag, perhaps a waist pack on the dog to carry his share would be a good idea. I often see people here with a plastic bag tied to the leash or to their collar which really gets in the way of the dog but they have little side bags for dogs that would work well.

I wish I had room in my room to have an exercise bike. With that you can always get in a session. Do you have such?

Sugar just has to be banned with me. I don't know what it is. I used to be able to eat more in moderation but recently it's just been a trigger to binge. It's mostly mental I think. I am unhappy with so much and sugar must reach back and in my twisted, traumatized mind represent some sort of paradise I crave, so I can't get enough. I don't think it's physical. I think it's mostly mental. The same with the alcohol. If they were physical I think I could stop. Actually, though, I can stop, it's that I don't WANT to. Childish, yes.

Last edited by redballoon; 01-10-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #27  

RED--ohhhh, that makes much more sense. Oh yeah, I know the newspapers are having a very rough time of it--everyone is reading on-line for free, no one buys the papar much anymore, the news bureaus have been cutting back on remote reporters and/or locations altogether, it's just too bad. We have had HUGE consolidation here of the newspaper companies, and less and less local i.e. small-town coverage. And the irate, irrational, unreasonable public--that is something almost all of us understand. No one is too terribly quick with any compliments, but most are quick with the complaints.

Still, you are to be commended sticking it out in a chaotic, rapidly changing environment. I'm keeping my for you for it to improve sometime soon, though......

Now, as regards the sugar/sweet thing you and Apple are talking about....
I whole-heartedly agree!! I thought I was really getting a handle on this discipline thing, but with this birthday, I had some (little bit) of a dessert yesterday night. Now today I was going crazy, wanting sweet, sweet, sweet! I tried very hard to satisfy it in a healthy way, must have had about 10 servings of fruit, also, some other stuff that is "supposedly" low calorie but with those darn artificial sweeteners I was trying to cut out. I have sort of calmed it down now, but getting ready for birthday dinner #2 now. At a very nice restaurant my sweetie is taking me to, our first time there (a "special occasion" place--i..e., expensive). Here's to will-power!!

Then tomorrow, last b-day dinner out with friends--2 other couples. Geesh! Please make it stop! No really, it is all very nice and everyone is so sweet and trying to help me over/through my mental "hump" with the 45 thing. But Monday, everything will be finally back to normal. On a good note, I did go do a "hard" work-out today, running followed by weights, crunches, squats, etc. Just gotta do that again tomorrow and Sunday.

Apple--I hear you on the dog-running thing! The exact same thoughts run through my mind when I take them outside with me for my runs. It really is more like a training session and exercise for the dog! I just generally do it anyway, I feel so guilty if I don't take one or two with me. That's why it is so much easier sometimes to just go to the gym. The weather here is perfect for running, but I still prefer going inside to a treadmill--go figure! It's just easier that way, it seems. Still, I try to get out with them for long walks at least a couple of times/week, if not a run.

Gotta run finish getting ready for dinner!

Last edited by modcat44; 01-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #28  
Never give up

Talking Happy Birthday to modcat!!!

I have to run but just wanted to say that I have one very good day behind me. I feel SO much better. Here's to another and another and another....
mod, you're doing great with that "hard workout." Come on, you're not going to undo everything with some parties. Celebrate! And Happy Birthday!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #29  

10 minute run, Day 6 completed, 2 pauses left
20 min additional exercise, Day 6 completed, 2 pauses left
Crunches, Day 5 completed, 1 pause left.
No Beer, Day 3 completed, 2 pauses left
Just a quick check-in.
Glad to hear you had a good day, Red. Start stringing them together!
Mod, I find if I eat out, that's enough of a treat and I don't need dessert. Harder on your birthday I suppose.By the way:
Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #30  
Working on healthy

I've missed you all! My computer is still silent but I'm making do with the laptop. I'm using a version of FitDay to keep track again, even though I won't bother to update it on my desktop. At least I'm tracking again. Here's where I am:

* Chocolate Challenge, Rnd 2 - No solid chocolate, 2/3 serving sized pauses. First challenge completed 12/20. 12/21 - used 2 pauses

* Grain Challenge - Limit of 3 grain servings per day, 1 pause used.14/21

* Exercise challenge, Rnd 2 - yoga, weights or stretches every day (cardio is assumed). 1 pause First round completed 12/22. Restarted 1/5 - 6/21

* Journal Challenge, Rnd 2 - Journal everything that goes into my mouth,no pauses. First round completed 12/27. Took a break when computer crashed. 11/21

* The Stay out of the Jar with a Spoon Challenge. No more than 1 serving size of nuts or nut butter daily. No pauses 6/21

I've done pretty well though had chocolate sooner than I'd planned and I'm sure I went over my calorie budget when I wasn't tracking. Not sure who I thought i was fooling but I bet it wasn't the scale!

Red - I don't know about you but for me nothing holds the depression monster at bay like taking charge of some aspect of my life. I just need to remember I can do it and I KNOW you can.
Sounds like the job is really tough but it's part of the culture. That's a hard one because if you want to do that kind of work can you escape it? Figuring out how to survive in that environment may be key if you love your work. Crappy choice though. Hope things look up one way or another soon!

Mod better a day late than never (or you could have a birthday weekend or even week! That's my answer) Hope the party was fun and not too off plan. And speaking from experience 45 ain't so bad

Apple - You are rocking those challenges in spite of the doggage

I'm with you all on the sugar thing. I keep trying to learn to control single servings but so many things lead me into a spiral of overeating. I know high fructose corn syrup is out of the question but there seems to be other things that cause me trouble too. I'm doing better with the chocolate as long as my single servings are really dark. Maybe it's a degree of sweetness issue? I've seen a lot of theories about the addictiveness of sugar and I think there's something to it. On the other hand I can eat fruit (except for prunes) as much as I want and never have trouble.

I need to get some breakfast now. have a good day/evening all