Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #301  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Friday -

TGIF! I'm sitting here with my breakfast of cottage cheese and fruit getting ready for the work day to begin. I'm leaving work early today to see the doctor regarding my blood tests. My appt with the nutritionist went well. She recommended a good cookbook full of easy recipes called "Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking". I told her that I also had friends (like Mel) who post healthy recipes online. I told her that I was sick with the stomach flu on Thursday and Friday and didn't eat much at all. She gave me a handout that recommends eating foods containing approximately 15 grams of carbs every 2 to 3 hours, and take my blood sugar more frequently. She also gave me a list of good books and websites on diabetes. The good news is that even though my cholesterol and triglycerides are a bit high (although they have come down), my Hemoglobin A1C (which is an indicator of where your blood sugar is over the last three months) was much lower and within the normal range!! Yay!! I'll see what my doctor says about it today.

Holly - Happy Belated Birthday!

Annie - We had a fire drill a couple weeks ago on one of the hottest, muggiest days of the year...why do they pick those days! Oh well, I guess it's better than a fire drill when it's 20 below out. I'm jealous of all your fresh veggies. Our spring this year came so late that I'm wondering if my veggies will even ripen (and my punkins even appear) before the first frost.

Mel - It is nice to have "eye candy" around. Is the hunky repair man coming back today? Good for you for taking the day off today!

Ceejay - Your boss is so not allowed to ask about medical appointments! Oh my gosh! I voluntarily told my boss when I was diagnosed with diabetes (to explain in advance my need for doctor appointments, etc.), and he's totally supportive and encouraging me as I lose weight and regain my health. I'm glad your doctor appointment went well. Hopefully the new meds will help. I hope your ear infection gets better soon.

Shad - Shame on your for the unseasonable weather! Don't you know you're supposed to keep the weather warm and sunny for Miss Puss! The reverse cycle aircon sound interesting. I may have to google that to learn more about it.

Happy - I hope things go better for you at your job. I used to have a job that where I was totally unhappy, then I got a different job in the same company and have an awesome boss! You're not complaining too much...we all need to vent, right? I hope your doc does refer you to a nutritionist. It's really been helpful. I've learned lots from her. I also was referred to a diabetes educator (who gave me good information on how to keep my blood sugar manageable and how to test, etc.). No need to see her again...but I do have another follow up with the nutritionist in a few months.

Ruth - Hershey's carb binge reminds me of one time we came home from work to find that the dogs opened the cupboard and took out several boxes of Apples and Cinnamon flavored instant oatmeal! The empty packages were all over the floor but there was mysteriously no oatmeal! The pups were definitely carbo loading! Wow! 7,000 garlic plants! That's a lot of digging. Good thing you're having a party to do it. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose plants are running behind schedule due to the late spring. Have fun with your friend today - I'm sure the dogs will have a blast playing together.

Well, gotta run chicks! Lots to get done at work today!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #302  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Greek Shrimp Pasta
Serves 4

1 pound raw medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and cleaned
4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
6 green onions, finely chopped
4 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, minced
5 fresh tomatoes cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pound linguine freshly cooked and drained

In a large mixing bowl, combine feta, green onions, oregano, tomatoes
and salt and pepper to taste. Let mixture stand at room temperature
for at least one hour (this is prime time to get the salad made, table
set and make your pasta).

In a skillet, add the butter and olive oil and heat over medium high
heat. Add the garlic and stir till starting to brown, then add the
shrimp, toss together and remove from heat once the shrimp turn pink.

To the shrimp mixture, add the cooked pasta, toss together, then top
with the feta cheese mixture and enjoy!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #303  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

do wish that woman would change her ticker. She knows who I am talking about!!!!

Busy day ahead, Back to JK tomorrow and it seems we have run out of luck with the business class - all three of us are waitlisted, we won't get it, although I will probably be the first one to check in. So I will be in cattle class for 7hrs 45 mins. Think of me tomorrow!
So anyway, today will be shopping for basics for the kid and the cat. Cleaning the lounge, dining room and bedrooms. I did the others yesterday. Footy at 5.30pm and they better play better than they did last week!!!! Or they will get a speech from me. Some shredding of paperwork, build a new filing cabinet, clear out the computer room, and repack the cases. Oh and if that isn't enough, I need to tidy up the hedge that I cut last week, clean out the shed and do some washing. Anything else to fit into today??

Happy - good to know you like your job. Why do they think that they can cram folk into one space when it is not going to work? Is this a way of getting them to leave without paying them out?

Mel - that shrimp recipe sounds good. Might have a go at that when I get back.

I'e just realised, we are all in August and no new thread. OOOOps
Old 08-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #304  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Go to the new thread. July is Kaput, Finished, Fini, Finito, Over, Done with, GONE
August Action

Last edited by Shad; 08-01-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #305  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW BUT I AM SURE I WILL FIND YOU BEFORE TOMORROW
Closed Thread