Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #256  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

HELLO KAREN GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE. NICE OF YOU TO DROP BY. YOU GAVE ME A GOOD LAUGH....BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN FOLLOWING THE CHEF SERIES. SMALL PORTIONS ARE THE TOUGHEST PAR FOR ME. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS LASAGNA OR SOMETHING EQUALLY YUMMY! HAVE A GREAT DAY.

CEEJAY...HOPE YOUR 4 DAY WEEK GOES FLYING BY WITHOUT A LOT OF HYDRANT PROBLEMS. GUESS THAT'S TYPICAL IN THE SUMMER? ARE YOU FEELING BETTER TODAY? SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS

HAPPY...POOR DH...NO SQUASH FOR HIM THEN. SON'T WANT HIM TOSSING HIS COOKIES..OR IN HIS CASE CEREAL...ALL OVER THE NEW TILED FLOOR! THE GS CAN'T NIP ME CAUSE HE HAS A SPLIT BEAK SINCE BIRTH I THINK. ANYWAY...HE CAN BIT NO ONE! BUT HE THINKS HE CAN

SHAD...I WAS THINKING OF DIFFERENT CHEESES CAUSE THE BLUES GIVE ME HEARTBURN SOMETHING AWFUL NOW. I ALSO REALIZED I CANNOT MAKE IT FOR JEN BECAUSE OF THE LACTOSE PROBLEM I FORGOT!
NOW YOU ARE HOME, WHAT IS THE NEXT HGTV PROJECT? INQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS.
I can SEE A RED WALL IN YOUR FUTURE

RUTH...GLAD THEY MADE THE $$ AT THE TENT. DID THE WHOLE TOWN GO HOME DRUNK??? GOOD THING THERE WERE NO DUI TRAPS ON THEIR WAY HOME

RENNIE...RELAXATION TIME WILL SOON BE HERE.

I NHAVE DESIGNATED TODAY AS "LET'S GET CONTROL OF THE LAUNDRY" DAY THAT IS AFTER I FINISH THIS BLOWING OF THE NOSE MARATHON!! A REAL SINUSSY DAY TODAY. ANYWAY.....
THE OFFICE WILL BE TERRIBLY SHORTHANDED THIS WEEK. DON'T KNOW WHAT I CAN REALLY DO TO HELP. HOLDING A PHONE WITH MY OLD FRIEND THE OTHER NIGHT ALMOST KILLED ME. I REALLY NEED TO GET TO A STORE AND BUY A HEADSET BUT I DON'T HEAR AS WELL WITH THEM. SIGH. AND I HATE SPEAKER PHONES.
I DIGRESS...SO I'M OFF TO THE LAUNDRY. SEE YOU GALS MANANA. HAVE A GREAT DAY AND NEW WEEK!
HAPPY MONDAY/TUESDAY
ps...i will be missing tomorrow most likely..food shopping
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #257  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Monday Morning Chickies..........

Holly....hey girl, welcome to the fast lane of internet.

MEL & Ceejay...allergies really stink. Hope you both get to feeling better. One of my manager's has allergies really bad, he looks like crap, his eyes are swollen, his nose is beat red and running. I told him he looked like heck and should of stayed home. He said, "thanks". hahahaha Well he does look like crap.

Happy...isn't is amazing how we can find SOMETHING to clean when we cannot get out in the yard. I swept out my car over the weekend. Is is so nice. Yeehaw on the pool, we used to have a pool when I was married. DS did ok on the truck pull. It was his first, came in 8th out of 20. He twisted his drive shaft, but said, "don't worry mom, I have another I can put in". Whatever. Boys and their toys.

Shad...I think we have all had our share of rain this year. I am sick of it, altho we have had the last couple of weekends rain free.

I left here Friday night to go to the truck pull and wouldn't you know it, my car wouldn't start in the parking lot. A buddy gave me a jump, went to Autozone, bought a new battery but it took them like 1 1/2 hours to switch it out, cause my cables were carroded (sp), didn't get home till 8pm and miss the truck pulls, as they were an hour away. The rest of the weekend was ok tho. Cut grass, weeded gardens, cleaned the car out, swept the walk, glued some stuff back together. Didn't do any inside work, cept dishes.

Everyone have a great day.

Love and Hugs
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #258  
Happy September

ANNIE....SORRY YOU MISSED THE DS IN THE TRUCK PULLS. TOO BAD. GOOD OUTDOOR WEEKEND THO!!!

TO MISS HAPPY...USUALLY I CAN HEAR HER TIPPY TOEING INTO THE CHICKS DOMAIN!

** I DO KEEP FORGETTING HOW A SIMPLE MEAL AND A SALAD CAN MAKE A DINNER OR LUNCH A FAST TREAT IN THIS HEAT.

Cheese Quesadillas

By Real Simple

INGREDIENTS:
8 8-inch flour tortillas
2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack
1 12-ounce container refrigerated store-bought salsa

DIRECTIONS:
Heat broiler. Place 2 tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese evenly over each. Top with 2 more tortillas. Broil until golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and cheese. Cut into triangles and serve with the salsa.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

CALORIES 237 (30% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 4g); CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29g; SODIUM 551mg; PROTEIN 11g; FIBER 2g; SUGAR 5g

Last edited by MELODY525; 07-28-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Mel
I love Quesadilla's.

Hi Karen

Happy
I keep getting those things about the diverticulitis/osis mixed up. I know the doctor showed me those little things from my colonoscopy a couple of years ago.

A call from the boss he's sending a new trainee over.
Gotta go.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #260  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

girlfriend
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #261  
Happy September

I ROTISSERIE CHICKENS...LOOK MA NO OVEN!!!
I AM IN THE OFFICE AND JUST CAME UP FOR A BREAK. I WAS RIGHT AND THIS IS THE DAY ONE OF THEM NEEDS HELP!! KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED OFR ME!

Asian Rotisserie Chicken Salad

Ingredients
Serves 4

2 cups fresh cilantro leaves and soft stems
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
1/4 medium red cabbage (8 ounces), cored and thinly sliced crosswise
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup cashews

Directions

Make dressing: In a blender, combine cilantro, lime juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, bell pepper, and scallions; season with salt and pepper. In another large bowl, toss lettuce with 1/2 cup dressing. Divide among four bowls, and top with chicken mixture. Drizzle all with remaining dressing, and sprinkle with cashews.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #262  
Happy September

CEEJAYU.....GOOD LUCK WITH THE TRAINEE!!!

I AM POSTING TONITE FOR TOMORROW...........
NO WASH GOT DONE TODAY. I WENT DOWN TO MAKE A SUGGESTIUON TO A FRIEND WHO IS GETTING HER SHOULDER OPERATED ON TOMORROW. I FOUND HER ALREADY CLOSING OUT THE MONTH AND GOING TO PRINT, CHECK, SORT AND ENVELOPE EVERYTHING BY HERSELF SO I WORKED WITH HER.
SHE WAS VERY APPRECIATIVE OF THE HELP AND SHE GOT TO LEAVE AT 4 INSTEAD OF OVERTIME. SHE NEEDS THE REST AND GET HER HEAD IN A GOOD PLACE I TOLD HER FOR TOMORROW. NOIHING LIKE CUTTING IT CLOSE. BUT YOU KNOW SOMETHING? WE HAVE WORKED BEFORE FOR A FEW YEARS AND THERE IS A PART OF ME THAT KNEW THAT SHE KNEW I WOULD BE THERE FOR HER TODAY. I HAD TOLD HER "ONLY FOR YOU I CAME DOWN" AND SHE SAID SHE KNEW I WOULD COME. FUNNY...BUT I ALMOST STAYED UPSTAIRS!! THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I STARTED TO GET MY BUTT GOING ALMOST LIKE I WAS LATE. AND I TOLD MYSELF TO HURRY SO I COULD GET DOWN TO HER. SOOOO.......SHE MUST KNOW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF!!
TOMORROW IS FOOD SHOPPING AND I WON'T WANT TO BE DOING ANY TYPING,....OF THIS I AM SURE

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT DAY. LOOKS A WEE BIT EMPTY HERE TODAY. SWEET DREAMS GALS AND GOOD MORNING MISS SUNSHINE
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #263  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning Mel and all the other lovely people here - lurkers and all.

Just a quick fly by for me today. I'm off to the shearing shed for a cut and colour in an hours time. Will be a relief to get it sorted. However the regular stylist is away somewhere and it will be someone new. Therefore apprehension dawns. Hate having to break in a new hairdresser. It always starts something like:
Are you a senior stylist, that's okay then.
Have you cut number 8 fencing wire before, that's okay then
Are you any good at cutting hair which will curl in unpredictable ways ????
There are several kinks in my hair, please watch for those.
I have no talent with hair whatsoever, so whatever you do, it must be simple enough for idiots to copy. Otherwise you will see me tomorrow and the next day.
Are you ready then? Where's my coffee?

So that will be my morning done for. I'll be back
Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #264  
Happy September

SHADDIE...GOOD LUCK WITH THE SHEEP SHEARING!

IT'S FUNNY HOW I LOOK AT A RECIPE AND CAN SEE HOW I CAN CUT DOWN ON THE SALT AND FAT. A FEW SHORT YEARS AGO I WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN GIVEN IT A SECOND THOUGHT!! I .IKE THIS RECIPE CAUSE IT GOES WITH ALL KINDS OF MEAT!

FROM REAL SIMPLE FOR TUESDAY'S FARE:

Orange Pork and Broccoli Stir-Fry

INGREDIENTS:

2 pork tenderloins (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total), 4 skinless, or boneless chicken-breast halves, or 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillet or tofu -- with the meat or fish cut into bite-size pieces

2 tablespoon sherry or white wine
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 orange, zest grated and juice squeezed
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, cut into thin wedges
1/2 bunch broccoli (1/2 pound), cut into small pieces, stalks peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)

DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl, toss the meat or fish with the sherry, red pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch. In a measuring cup, combine the orange juice, chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, and the remaining cornstarch.

In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the orange zest and let it sizzle for 1 minute. Add the onion and the meat or fish and cook, stirring, until cooked through, 2 to 5 minutes. Add the orange-juice mixture and broccoli. Simmer 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 383 (33% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 3g); CHOLESTEROL 111mg; CALCIUM 54mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19g; SODIUM 647mg; PROTEIN 43mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 3mg

Real Simple, APRIL 2004

Last edited by MELODY525; 07-28-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #265  
Choose your hard

Hi chicks,

Sorry - thought I posted today but got distracted and I lost my post I guess. And if you think I will remember what I wrote this early morning - well - joke's on you!

I made a copycat recipe of Mongolian Beef with a bit of Happy's tweaking. It came out really good - I would definitely make it again. It did make a mess on the stove and DH was a sweetie to clean the cooktop for me cuz it needed MANLY elbow grease

The kids - and they were kids - showed up at 2pm to work on the pool. They got the old cement out - and will be back tomorrow to lay the new stuff in. I told DH to keep an eye on them. We found that the landscapers that we paid ALOT of money to rework the back yard just buried the old drainpipes ON TOP of the new stuff so that they wouldn't have to haul it off. And they did not dig as deep as they should have to replace the soil when they set out the garden. This we are finding out now, 2 years after the fact as DH digs part of the yard up to find a leak in the pump line. You have to watch everyone closely now a days. Sad but true.

Shad - I hope the haircut comes out well. I know you have such an ordeal with finding a good stylist. I like your comment about coming up with a style that YOU can work with the next day Don't we all sort of revert back to the same style or two that we are comfortable with?

Mel - happy food shopping. Take some of those recipes with you this week and you'll have good eats. It was very nice of you to go back to the office and help that woman out, but then again, that's the kind of person you are.

Ceejay - hope the new trainee caught on quick.

Annie - not sure if it's the same way up your way but it seems like the allergies are staring to hang around all year long. I used to just have winter allergies but they say down here because of all the flowers and such, that they hang around all the time. I'm sure my vertigo is somewhat allergy based. Hate to take those allergy pills all the time. Have to laugh at how nonchalant DS was with the drive shaft. Ain't it great to be young and carefree? I need a dose of that - just a smidge once in a while

Rest up Ruthie.

Holly and Shy

I picked out a couple of pair of shoes online. The retailers are getting more liberal - free shipping and returns so it's easier to shop. I miss not being able to wear heels anymore. Just once in a while would be nice. And yes, red stilletos go great with skinny jeans ( Annie )

Where's Michelle? Tell her vacation's over and it's back to work and posting again

I think this will do for my morning update so I'll check in tomorrow evening. See yah
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #266  
Choose your hard

Just checking in to say good morning.

Darn pills and their diuretic effects Wake me up about 30 minutes BEFORE the alarm goes off for a potty call. Hey, I want and need EVERY minute of my sleep.

Going to be another scorcher today. Stay cool chicks. I'm off to the salt mine to earn my 37 cents for the day...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #267  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm back! Sorry for being gone so long.

DH and I took Thursday and Friday off to have a nice 4 day weekend with DMIL since she leaves this Friday. Of course, I didn't count on getting really sick on Thursday. I had the stomach flu BAD...complete with diarrhea, stomach cramps, and a 102 fever. No fun at all. My tummy is just now feeling a little bit better. DH took his mom for a nice drive on Thursday as I didn't want them staying home on my account. Then we went for another drive on Friday and I was up to going. Saturday we went fishing...DH caught all the fish including a 31", 8 lb pike. It was a gorgeous day. And on Sunday we went to the county fair.

Yesterday, I had to go into work early and was so busy, I didn't even get to take a lunch break. Hopefully today will be a little less crazy.

Due to my upset tummy, I haven't been eating exactly on plan and haven't done any exercise in days. I hope I get over this soon.

Shad - I'm not going to Indy yet. We might go for Labor Day weekend....not sure yet. I hope you are enjoying your week at home! I hope the haircut turns out nice!

Happy - You're right....Type 2 diabetes is incurable, but treatable and controllable disease - at least in my case it has been. I'm so hoping that my blood test came out okay (I see the doc on Friday). Being diagnosed with Type 2 was just the brick (or kick in the arse) I needed. As for stress building up toxins...that's true too. Deep breath....deep breath. I also think of things I'd have to give up if I had GB surgery, so you're not alone. For now, I'll try the non-surgical route. I'll bet you're thrilled that your pool will be done soon! Does that mean we're all invited to a weekend pool party at Happy's? Happy, I can't believe how late you stay up! I'm down for the count by 10 pm. Then up at 1 am and at 4 to let the doggies out....then it's back to bed until 5:15 or 5:30.

Annie - That's great news about your nephew! Bummer that you may be out of town if we get to Indy for Labor Day. But there will be other occasions to meet. Thanks for all the info about WLS. I think I'd miss the breads, but you're right....it's what you want more - losing weight and being healthy versus soda or bread. I'm so glad that you are feeling so great and enjoying life as a thin healthy person!

Mel - I hope your zyrtec fog has cleared up. I agree with Ruth...please start making YOU a first priority.

Ceejay - I hope your allergies are doing better, and I hope things went well with the trainee.

Well, lots of work to catch up on still.

I hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #268  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning everyone.

The trainee only stayed about 2 hours. This morning he's working with the water/sewer crew. Yeah. I like my solitude.

Just received a call from the doctor's office. They wanted to reschedule my appointment. I'm going this Thursday instead of the 8th of August. He's going to be out of town on the 8th.

Going to try something a little different this week. Going to count carbs--not doing Atkins or South Beach. Still like WW. I do a lot better health wise if I stay with in 120 grams of carbs.

No time for personals this morning.

Stay cool.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #269  
Happy September

WHAT A HOT ONE!! AND STICKY TOO. I DID THE FOOD SHOPPING. (bought all tv dinners, steamer veggies and pre-cut fruit) I CAME HOME & COLLECTED EVERYONE'S BOOKS FOR THE LIBRARY AND HAD MARK DELIVER THEM BEFORE THEY WERE OVERDUE.
WILLY NEEDED MY PHONE FOR THE DAY...I WAS MORE THAN HAPPY TO OBLIGE HIM JUST WISH HE WOULD KEEP IT!!
I GAVE NOTICE THAT I CANNOT HELP TODAY IN THE OFFICE. THE ARM WAS GOOD FOR NOTHING AFTER THE SHOPPING TRIP. JUST ICE AND ALEVE AND ME. AND SOME ICED TEA WITH HONEY.
THE GENT FROM INDIA CAME TODAY OF ALL DAYS. I SPENT ABOUT 15 MINUTES WITH HIM AND HE WENT IN TO EAT AND I MADE MY GETAWAY AND CAME UP HERE TO DIE!
MY GRANDSON IS MY BEST FRIEND. DOESN'T ASK FOR MUCH AND GIVES ME KISSES. MAYBE SOME HARRY POTTER AND REST. THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!

SAYING HELLO TO EVERYONE. CEEJAY ENJOY THE SOLITUDE AND STAY COOL TOO. HAPPY YOU WILL GET TO SWIM YET THIS SUMMER! WELCOME BACK MICHELLE AND GET WELL SOON. GOTTA GO AND LIE DOWN. ADIOS!!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #270  
Happy September

Serves 4

JULY
TUESDAY

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
This company-worthy stovetop-to-table meal is impressively easy.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 thinly sliced scallions
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large frozen shrimp, thawed, tails removed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh fresh mint, plus more for garnish
4 ounces feta cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 475 degrees with rack set in upper third. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add scallions, garlic, and oregano; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains in skillet, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add shrimp and mint to skillet. Stir to combine; transfer to an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish. Crumble feta over top.
Bake until liquid is bubbling, cheese is beginning to brown, and shrimp in center of dish are opaque, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with Orzo and Green Beans, sprinkled with additional chopped mint.

ORZO AND GREEN BEANS

IngredientsServes 4.
1 cup orzo
8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions
In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook orzo 4 minutes. Add green beans; continue cooking until beans are tender and orzo is al dente, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Drain orzo, and return to saucepan. Mix in lemon juice and oil. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.

Last edited by MELODY525; 07-29-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Closed Thread