Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #46  

This teacher was 31 yr. old married, no kids. There are 25 fourth graders in her room. We have counselors swarming around here today. I think the kids are well for now, some were really upset earlier. They are out on the playground now and I can see them from my office. They seem to be playing well, though there is a small group off to the side talking. Some of the fourth grade parents have brought in sandwich makings, chips and cake for the staff, so I may stray off plan a little today, but I will try to keep it under control.

Last edited by ThinWithin225; 08-30-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #47  
Addicted to potato salad!

Thin: Oh...I thought SHE had a fourth grade child, on top of having a classroom of kids. So sad. You just never know what's lurking around the bend at any given moment!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #48  
Addicted to potato salad!

Talitha! So glad to see you!! Lurk all you want...we understand!!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #49  

Thin- I'm so sorry about the teacher. What a horrible thing to happen.

Getting on here late. Didn't make it to lunch with my friend. I got up to late and so just didn't call and ask her. I've made chicken salad from the rest of our week end's chicken. So now just need for DH to get here. Think I'll probably make stir fry tonight for dinner. Need to dig in the freezer for some kind of meat to put in it. Its beautiful weather today for a change here. Sorry I've been such a slob and not taken the time for replies. Hopefully will do better tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #50  
Sonya

Hi all,

Have been so busy doing things for mom and dad that I haven't been around the house...Which is a good thing...lol. Ashleys taken to Prek like a pro. She loves it. Hubby will be home not this weekend but the following weekend. I am ready for him to be home. He will have been on the road for 5 weeks next week. The girls and I really miss him..but hes making a living so I don't have to work and I certainly appreciate that. Cooked at moms and rearranged her freezer so she can get to the food. It was a mess...lol. Poor mom she just doesn't like the freezer organizing. Well gotta run its almost time for the pick up line for PreK..

Take care everyone and have a great day.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #51  

I ran some errands...Harry's, Petsmart, Babies R Us... James was going to go with me, but just before we left we found the leak in the pipes had started again...so he fixed it for Tom. Tom is going to be thrilled. I went and ran errands alone and tomorrow morning, James and I will go to the 'fun' places we had planned on checking out today.

THUNDER: WOw...wanna come organize my freezer? It is more than a mess! Its a disaster!

TECH: Hope to hear some something soon! It will be interesting to see what they say at YOUR interview tomorrow.

TONI: Maybe you can do your lunch out tomorrow??? I tend to procrastinate a lot, and then get irritated with myself when it gets too late to do things.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Just checking in before going home. Gonna hit the gym and then I have spaghetti all fixed so I am looking forward to that. DH is going to his weekly Elks meeting, but I am thinking of skipping it and curling up with my book or running some errands I need to do.

Monet, I went to the pedometer website, how in the world do you figure out how to use it? I am not the computer literate and do not have a lot of time to figure it out. Sounds like you are going to have some nice mini vacations.

Talitha, Just pop in and say hello and don't worry about replies.

Tech, I forget how much snow you get. That will interfere with your walking.

Toni, sorry your lunch date didn't work out. Maybe another time.

Thunder, so glad your DD likes PreK. That sure makes life easier. My DD organized my cabinet last night, she couldn't stand the mess. I think she has OCD. But hey, she keeps her room clean and my cabinets.

Have a great evening
Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #53  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

I'm here, I've just been so darned busy at work. We're getting ready to close the Fiscal Year and I'll probably be around even less the month of Sept.
Of course, with FOOTBALL SEASON STARTING SATURDAY, I'll be sure to pop in on Saturdays and give my 2 CENTS worth!!

GATOR...Are y'all staying at your usual place this weekend? Who do y'all play? We start out with CALIFORNIA...we've never played them, don't know anything about them...NADA!!! Ask your DH if he does...

MISSY....I'm sorry, I missed that post about your DAD...We do that procedure here all the time and the success rate is wonderful! The Doc who does them here has patients come from all over the world!
Tell Terry, he's just had his first MIDDLE AGE CRAZY!!! Glad he's doing fine~!

JACK...Is it this week you're going to the L'ville game...is it with THE KITTYS??? I heard the other day that RANDY SANDERS (the offensive coordinator who screwed up our season) is now up in Lexington doing his thing! POOR KITTYS! Are y'all going to do any tailgating?
POOR PEYTY PIE is hurt! Separated his shoulder. Bet he doesn't get to play against ELI in the game that's coming up~!

THIN...So sorry to hear about your friend. I'll keep her family in my thoughts~!

MONET...OK...Where bouts are you going?

KRIS..Keep us posted about the interview...we're all excited!

TALITHA..

TONI...

OK...I'm off to fix some supper...maybe some cooked cabbage...YUM!!!
THUNDER..Glad to hear the THE MUNCHKIN likes school...hope that lasts!

BOB
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #54  

Howdy everyone:

I'm going to have to get started on dinner soon, but wanted to check in. Lane and I took "the girls" to school, and then went to the gym, and then to a Mom's Club meeting. We are now home for the day, and our carpool friends will bring Britt home today.

We bought Britt a hamster 2 months ago, and now Lane is begging us for a Guinea pig; I really think she should be older, but she is feeling "left out." She feels like her sister gets everything and she doesn't. I do have to admit....she seems to handle the hamster a bit better than Britt does. We'll have to give it some more thought.

My eating has been pretty good, and my weight was at 121# this morning, so I should be able to see that 120# by Labor Day; that was my goal. My goal after that is to get to the gym at least 3x a week, but shoot for 4. AND, to get the sugar out completely again!

This weekend is the last weekend our waterpark is open here, so Britt's dad is going to take her for the day. It will be so much easier for her to do stuff with him than when Lane and I go with her. Lane can't do some of the things she can, so they both get left out, in a sense.

I am going to get my weave re-done on Saturday; it's been 3 months. I do red/blonde in the spring/summer and red in the fall/winter, but I think I'm gonna do a darker auburn red this time, and shake it up a bit. I also need a trim desperately.

Monet: Do you give yourself the Byetta injection or go to the doctor's office for that? How often do you have to do it? We do try to keep Britt challenged; she is currenly in the highest levels that she can be in the subjects she does well in. She loves to read, so reading 500 pages a month is fun for her. Where are you and Tom going for your anniversary? Which anniversary is this one? Congratulations!!!!

Solly: It is a voluntary trip to San Diego; a child can't go if their parents don't go. Thanks for the advice. I plan to keep an eye on this area even if the MRI comes back clear. How have you been doing? How often are your check-ups now? Are you still on medication? Will you always have to be on it?

Tech: The homework does seem excessive, but this school has the highest SAT scores in the state, and has a very good repuation for their awesome curriculum. That's funny how you think of San Diego as a nice warm get-away. For me, it's a nice COOL get-away....ha! Would you take the job as a lunch lady if it wasn't at the school your kids attend? That would be a tough call...you'd probably have all the same days off though, right?

Gator: Baby eels???? Now, that's daring!

Toni: Decent win on a scratch lottery ticket. Glad you got your walk in.

Thin: So sorry to hear about your co-worker; I am sure that will be difficult for her class. So glad she doesn't have any kids of her own, but my heart goes out to her DH and any of her other living relatives.

Talitha: Been thinking of you; glad you are well. You are keeping that depression at bay, right? We miss you but totally understand how busy you must be.

Thunder: Glad Ashley is enjoying pre-k. Are you adjusting???

Fruit: Britt has always been smart and has liked to be challenged. We have a difficult last name to pronounce and spell (German name), but Britt would spell it out for people when she was 2. She also could write very well at age 3. I could sit for hours and hours and read to her. She has got an awesome memory! Hmmmm.... where do I start with my parents. I don't have all day. Anyhow, my mom has always been a very negative person; always looking for something to stress about. She never really encouraged us as kids, and her love was totally not unconditional....it was so conditional.....if we were good, we were loved, if not, we weren't. Instead of being proud of her children as we got older, she would often try to compete with us (one of MANY examples...when I got engaged, she had my dad buy her a new "bigger" ring, and ditched the one he gave her all those years ago. She also was in the delivery room for the birth of both of my children, but after that really didn't want much to do with them. The only time I saw her or my dad is if I made the trip to their house, and then they didn't want us to stay long because the kids might mess something up. To sum it up....my older sister got pregnant when she was 17, and my parents adopted her child and raised her. She is now 23 years old, has never driven a vehicle or had a job.....dont' make me go there. Anyhow, their grandchild, who is my kid's cousin was at our house once, and she said a few things that were dishonest and I mentioned it to my mom. My mom flew off the handle saying that "Her daughter" would never ever lie and that I attacked her spirituality by saying that. Well, it...of course escalted from there, and my dad told me that he did not want me to say anything to upset his wife or daughter, and therefore he was blocking my phone number and e-mail address so I couldn't contact them ever again. He told me that I had my own family to concentrate my efforts on. You don't know me, but I am and always have been the peacemaker in the family. I am a giver and will do anything for anyone, and have. Anyway, after all this happened I got really sick, and made a promise to myself that I am not going to let it affect my health anymore because my husband and kids need me to be healthy and happy!! Are you sorry you asked now??? Ha!

I better go feed the dogs!

Have a great OP day everyone!
Nat
Old 08-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #55  

Evening everyone. Thought I would pop in before I start cooking my chinese food. I'm thawing a steak out and will let that be the meat. Its a small one so we'll be eating mainly vegetables. I'm having some constant comment tea right now and it just hits the spot. My chicken salad turned out really well and we had it on some of the rustic bread that Wal Mart has been selling. Yum its so good. I'm still not getting my water in. Guess I'll make some ice tea tomorrow and see if I can't get more of that in. Its decaf so I'll try to drink plenty.

Pancho- Oh gal I just dream of being at your weight. But I think those days are past to be that tiny. I'll bet your hair looks so good. Would love to see a picture.

Bob- Its good to see you. Figured you were busier than a cranberry merchant.

Solly- The book sounds like a good deal. And with dinner all done you've got a nice evening ahead of you for rest and relaxation......

Monet- I'm super at putting things off. I've tried to make a bunch of phone calls today I've been meaning to do for days. Glad that's over. Hope you had a good shopping trip.

Thunder- How lucky your Mom is. I would love for someone to clean out the freezer.

Guess I'd better go cut the steak up. Have a good evening all....
Old 08-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #56  
Little Engine That Could

Pancho--
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."

I'm sure you've heard that before. I didn't ever know the details of your "story." As I read it, I would say that this is one of the things you can't change. I pray that God will give you serenity regarding your parents' poor choices and sad behavior, and that you can live each day with joy and peace, knowing you have done your best. Sounds like you really have your head together, and I am happy for you in that.

Here's the recipe:
Rock Cornish Game Hens with Forty Cloves of Garlic
Serves 4. Can be reduced proportionately, but I usually only reduce the sauce by 1/2. Ditto the garlic. Maybe for one or two people use 1 whole head of garlic.

40 cloves--about 3 heads--of garlic
4 Rock Cornish game hens, usually found frozen in the grocery store but if you can find them fresh, much better!
salt and pepper
1/2 C dry white wine or vermouth
3/4 C chicken stock or canned chicken broth
3 T minced fresh parsley leaves
about 8 T softened butter, divided
lemon juice

Blanch the garlic cloves in boiling water to cover for 10 minutes and then drain them. I simply break apart the whole head into separate cloves, leave the cloves unpeeled and put them into the boiling water. Peel them a little later, as you will see. Sprinkle the hens inside and out with salt and pepper. Rub them with softened butter and truss them. I normally just tie the legs together and tuck the wing tips back under the "shoulders." Grease a flameproof baking dish with 2 T softened butter and arrange the hens on one side. Roast them in the lower third of a 425°F preheated oven for 10 minutes. Then turn them to the other side and roast them, basting with the pan juices for 10 minutes more. While the hens are roasting during this 20 minutes, peel the skins from the garlic cloves. Reduce the heat to 375°F, turn the hens breast side up and distribute the garlic around them. Roast the hens, basting, for 20-40 minutes more, or until they are browned and the juices run clear when the fleshy part of the thigh is pricked with a skewer. Or you can use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.

Transfer the hens to a platter and remove the trussing strings. Transfer the garlic with a slotted spoon to the platter, sprinkling over the hens. Cover loosely with foil. Skim the fat from the pan juices, add 1/2 C dry white wine and deglaze the pan over high heat, scraping up the brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and reduce it over high heat to about 2 T. Add 3/4 C chicken broth and 3 T minced parsley leaves and reduce the mixture to about 1/2 C. Remove the pan from heat, swirl in 3 T softened butter, cut into bits, 1 T at a time. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and nap the hens with the sauce. Garnish the platter with sprigs of parsley. Enjoy!

Sometimes, just for a weekday dinner, not so "fancy", I cut the raw hen in half and cook the two halves in the same manner. But it just goes a little quicker with a half instead of a whole hen.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #57  
Bustin' Buddy

Good Evening!

Well, today is finally over! I felt like I had slept at school last night – like I had never even left! Good news…the kid that we were hoping was going to be home schooled will be!! YIPPEE! Now we don’t have to deal with that psycho mom!

Well, I went to my niece’s VB game but didn’t get to stay long because Alexis was getting grumpy. She goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:00 and the varsity game didn’t start until 6:00! So, we saw one game – they ended up having 5 – they lost. Oh well! They were missing their starting setter and another key player so they weren’t up to normal speed!

I’m really tired tonight because I went to bed later than usual last night and then we had a horrible thunder/lightning storm that lasted 2 hours during the night. Needless to say – I was up the entire time. Alexis slept soundly – I was hoping that it wouldn’t scare her!

Other than that – not much happening. We decided to skip going to dad’s for dinner tonight and we just grabbed something quick over here.

SOLLY: What a busy day you had yesterday – do you feel like Superwoman?!?! How nice of you to go watch games….do they play in a local league? We used to have a VB league but I guess it just fizzled out. I wish I could find one because that’s the only sport I really loved to play and I would love to do it again – even though at my weight it would be hard. It would be good exercise though! What book are you reading right now? I’m reading The Brethren by John Grisham.

MONET: The town must not survive if you go on a vacation! What a woman! We must have had the same thunderstorm!! I love Babies R Us!! It has everything! The only bad thing is that the closest one for us is in New Orleans. So, I don’t get to go often – that’s probably a good thing!

TALITHA: Good to see you girl! Come back as soon as you can! We miss you!

TECH: OMG – that is hilarious – just the thought of him tied to the bike rack gives me happy goose bumps!! What a great thought! Have a great day at the water park – I know the kids will love that! I’ve got a visual of Kyle naked in the living room! My classroom is across from the boys bathroom and they are ALWAYS PLAYING in there – well, it’s so funny when I walk in there and all you see are little butts lined up at the urinal with their pants down to their ankles. Then when you say “HEY!” they panic and turn and pee on the kid next to them!! HAHA! What a funny sight!

THIN: I figured the counselors would be swarming today. Those poor kiddos! Let us know what they say the cause of death was – what a shame – she was SO YOUNG!!

TONI: Don’t worry about the replies – we just like to see your post – that shows us you are thinking about us!

THUNDER: What does your husband do again?

BOB: Thanks for the encouraging words for my Dad – I’m glad to hear the success rate is so high! I needed that! Another friend is convinced that Terry is feeling bad because I’m secretly trying to kill him! HAHA! We have already decided that we will do pay per view for the LSU game Saturday. I’m looking forward to it!!

PANCHO: OMG! I can’t believe that your parents are acting so immaturely! Terry’s mom is kind of like that but not as bad! I’m very sorry that you have to put up and live with their silliness. Britt reminds me of my friend’s little girl…one of her first words was “ointment” HAHA! I’m lucky if I can get Alexis to babble!! Hang in there – the only ones losing out are your parents!

Well, I’m off to bed – my eyes are very heavy!! See y’all tomorrow!

Missy
Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #58  

I ate too much dinner and now I feel gross. I tried to help the situation by doing 20 minutes of water aerobics. I feel a bit better, but I need to learn to stop eating when I start feeling even slightly full, and that feeling comes MUCH earlier on the Lizard spit... Tonight I felt that way about six bites into my dinner. I kept eating though, since I had just about skipped lunch too, and I felt I needed the nutrition. At least I can tell the Byetta is working in the appetite area.

PANCHO: I have to self inject the Byetta. The system is like a fat pen, and you just have to screw on a short needle. Its very easy. You use it twice a day. It works great. It is one of the best new meds for diabetes. It is being used for PCOS and insulin resistance too...and they find it actually can cure IR by restoring the islet cells in the pancreas. You are a braver woman than me if you get Lane a guinea pig. I loved the hamsters we had, but the guinea pigs are not my cup of tea! This will be our 30th anniversary. We are just going to a cabin up in north Georgia. It is nice though, with a mountain view, a hot tub on the deck and a jacuzzi next to the bed. Oh la la!

FRUIT: I think everyone does just fine when I go out of town. In fact, they are probably glad to be rid of me for a while!

BOB: We are just going to Helen next week, then we are going to Hendersonville with Ruth and Erik week after next...we really want to come to Sarasota again soon...we just couldn't afford it this time.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #59  

Monet-We are talking about going to Helen this fall too! But ours will just be a daytrip. When the kids were younger, we would pick a nice crisp Saturday and go to the apple houses early then jump up to Helen and picnic at Anna Ruby Falls. We just made a day of it. We haven't done it in as couple of years, so we just might do it this year. It seems like we might have even stopped by Burt's pumpkin farm somehwere in there too!

Kim, the teacher had epilepsy, but never quite got it controlled with medication. I remember last year the doctors were trying to link it to some sort of heart problem. I had not really talked to her much this year. Thursday she had a seizure after school and the ambulance was called. She stayed home Friday. According to her husband she got into the bath Tuesday before he got home and apparently had one in the tub and somehow drowned. I guess that is what they are going with, I haven't heard anything about an autopsy. It is just so sad and doesn't seem real yet.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 AM   #60  

THIN: My daughter and her husband stayed in these cabins for their honeymoon, and said they are really nice, so we are going there. I love Helen! We plan to hike up to Anna Ruby Falls, around Unicoi, and Helen, and just chill. We REALLY need a vacation... I can't wait! Did the kids at school do ok yesterday? Do the counselors help? It must be really tough for the kids...
Closed Thread