Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #31  

On the school calendar issue..in our county we start school in early August and get out in May so we have one semester before Christmas and then one after. Finals are taken before the break, so there's no studying over the holiday.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #32  
Addicted to potato salad!

Missy: Don't feel doomed with genetic makeup that seems to have cancer written all over it...feel educated and forewarned that cancer appears to run in the family, take care of yourself doing all those things they say to avoid cancer, (don't smoke, eat broccoli, exercise, etc) and keep close tabs with your own doctor, get your mammograms and pap smears regularly. Knowledge is sometimes the best defense against things like this. Hugs and prayers that your dad comes out on the other side of this unscathed. Ugh...and I can't imagine what it's got to be like in your job with kids like that. I'm positive they don't pay you enough to put up with it all. Oh...and I was watching another Katrina thing last night and they were showing how much trash is still in the streets a year later. I couldn't help but wonder, are they waiting for the government to come clean up their yards? I told Derek I was waiting for them to interview someone that says, "I just went to the bathroom...when's someone gonna come wipe my coolo?" In contrast, they showed Biloxi, MS, that was practicaly wiped off the map by Katrina, but you don't hear people complaining there. They're just getting on with it and cleaning up the mess. Not waiting for people to come do it for them.

Pancho: That sounds more like Shelley's middle school homework load (7th grade)! Wow! And that is great on the state testing! I'm jealous of the trip to San Diego. It's so nice and warm there...but what am I talking about? You live in Arizona! My brother-in-law lives in SD and his girlfriend is from the Phillipines. She used to live in Albuequerque (I think there are too many 'e's in there), but said she had to move because of too much snow! I just had to laugh because I don't equate New Mexico as a state that is noted for it's excessive snowfall. She'd do herself in if she lived where I grew up in Western NY!!

Thin: Sometimes I forget Georgia has coastal waters that are open targets for hurricanes, as well. But the Savannah area seems to be in kind of a dead zone compared to the gulf coast and atlantic side of FL and the CArolinas...not immune, just kind of in a lucky spot. I've been told that coastal GA is very beautiful...I hope Ernesto doesn't decide to vacation there!

MOnet: So, with Derek having a hot job prospect, I'm back to being home while Kyle is at school...which brings back the prospect of walking with Junior everyday to the lighthouse...what is that mapping thing you posted once where I can get the total miles on my walking route? I think when I did it before it was about a 6-7 mile walk. I know the two times I did it, I came back drenched with sweat, so I'm guessing it will be a great exercise opportunity for me...and I know I won't get one word of complaint from my walking companion, Junior...he'd walk to the ends of the Earth with me! And, in regards to school starting in August...it's almost as incomprehendable as July being the dead of winter in Austrailia. On the writing forum I was on when I was writing, there were some people from Austrailia and they would talk about the snow they were getting in August and the heatwaves they were getting in January...totally blew my mind. I'd never adjust.

Solly: I'm going to go to the Farmer's Market here this weekend and stock up on some good stuff. My tomatoes are STILL GREEN! Not ONE tomato yet this year and Friday is SEPTEMBER!! What the heck?

Thunder: Push mowing is such a work out. And, I hear ya on the not worrying about the kids at each other's throats. I can't wait to do my house cleaning with my iPod in and not having to worry about the kids. Who am I kidding? I plug in my iPod now so I can drown them out sometimes...I figure one of them will get me if there's an emergency

Well, Derek is in Erie, PA right now, then he's off to Scranton, PA to spend the night, so he's just a quick drive away from where his interview is in NJ, just on the other side of the Hudson River from Manhattan. I would have loved to have gone with him, but he said he'd be nervous with the kids around. The company is from Austrailia, so I hope to maybe have an actual conversation with someone from there...I love the accents...and I'd love to compare weather on a day to day basis. Blizzarding here...heat wave there. Cool..but I'd love tons of prayers for him that he nails it. He's the only one they're interviewing and he's basically a shoe-in, but with our ups and downs lately, me not getting a job because, "Well, we found someone with cafeteria experience..." etc, I'm waiting to hear, "Well, we aren't looking for someone with brown hair and a goutee, we're lookign for a redhead"...or something dumb like that. It would be our luck, that's for sure.

Okay...have to do a quickie pick up around the house. Will be back later!! I might take Kyle and Junior to the park.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #33  

Okay...so, welcome to the everchanging world known as my life. I jsut got a call from the other elementary school that is about 15 miles one way away, asking if I'd be interested in a job as a lunch lady. I have an interview on Thursday morning.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #34  
Little Engine That Could

Solly--Surely you eat beef!? The filet mignon is simply tenderloin of beef, very tender and flavorful. The tempura stuffed squash blossom was crab meat stuffing, put into a yellow squash blossom from which the pistils and stamens were removed. Then the whole thing was dipped into tempura batter and fried. Light and crispy. Very good--you don't taste anything "funny" with the blossom, but the waitress said it was "lump" crab meat, and it wasn't. The foie gras is probably the only thing people are unfamiliar with. It is so gooooood! Very rich, and reminds me slightly of crispy fat on a big steak. That's the texture, and the taste is mild. But it definitely is liver from a duck or goose that has been specially fed. I know it sounds terrible, but it doesn't taste like real liver. And you have, in the past, had chocolate mousse, haven't you? This is just a fancy version of it.

Pancho, I'll post the recipe this afternoon. Soon. I have to go get it.
It is definitely good, and I have cooked it for company, for Thanksgiving, and for a regular dinner on a weeknight for just my husband and me.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Gator, yes I eat meat, I overlook that one. I guess I just need to know and be familiar with what I am eating. I need to venture out.

Tech, good luck with your interview and Dereck's. 6-7miles is a long walk. Surely you won't do it every day.

Thin, out school schedule is the same as ours. I think August is too early. I guess they do it in case of snow days.

Off for home. Pork chops tonight with sauerkraut. Yummy. To the gym first, then have to settle up the pampered chef stuff. We sold almost $1,100.00. We get a lot of free stuff and 1/2 price stuff. Now DD wants to go look at cars.

Have a great evening.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #36  
Little Engine That Could

Solly--I ate baby eels once. Tiny things with 2 little black dots at one end (eyes). I actually ordered them at a restaurant!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #37  

Wowie the board is booming... LOL! I got up late today and so the whole day has been off kilter..... I couldn't get on the board this morning. For some reason the computer just wouldn't let me. But I did do my walking so I was happy. I went to a friends for tea this afternoon. I'm on well water so we have no chemicals in it and in town the water is awful so I didn't enjoy the tea very good but the visit was nice. I won 12. on some scratch off ticket so think I may take her to the salad bar tomorrow to repay for the nice visit. Its cheap her for salads out so yep the 12. will cover it.. LOL! I guess I'll go make some fish and a nice salad for dinner. Have a great evening.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM   #38  

well depressing, sad news. We just got word tonight that one of our teachers at my school has died. Her husband found her drowned in the bathtub. She has seizures, but don't know yet if that's what happened. It's so sad, I mean I just talked to her today. I dread going to work tomorrow! I know her kids, 4th grade, will have a hard time.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #39  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey friends!

I’m going to try to keep this short because it’s already 9:00 and that’s past my bedtime! HA! Open house went well tonight – I just always feel like a babbling idiot! I did a much better job with the second group than the first. I guess I had to get warmed up!

Thanks for all the well wishes for my dad and Terry! I’m sure everything will be fine with both of them – I sure hope so anyway. As many of you commented – knowledge will be my best defense with the cancer issue. I’ve already started mammograms and I do have my yearly exams so hopefully I’ll be ok. I’ll keep y’all posted on the progress of my 2 favorite men!

I did have to laugh today..the “escapee” as I like to call him was once again on an F in conduct and he said “I’m gonna run away again!” So, I said “GO ahead and run – I’m not chasing after you again – I’ll just call the office and they will call the police!” I was like RUN FORREST RUN!!! HAHA! I shut the door and do you know he actually went to the window like he was going to try to get out of it! Why me!?!

THIN: I hope your parents make out ok with Ernesto! I don’t think he’ll be much! I totally have confidence in you – you can lose those 3 pounds in 3 weeks! Be positive! Sweet Jesus – almond joy cake?! Oh yummy!! I do like almond joys! I’ll just have to live through them and enjoy that one! I’m so sorry about your friend. That’s just horrible. That will be tough on all of you – kids included! Hugs are going your way!

MONET: You just gotta love those unexpected dinner guests! But leave it up to you to pull it off graciously!! What a woman! I just have to ask – what in the **** is steel cut oatmeal? I’ve heard of cinnamon flavored, apple flavored, etc. but steel cut?!?!

SOLLY: Which girls are you watching play VB – your daughters? If so – how old are they now? For some reason I thought your kids were older – I’m so confused. Don’t worry – I’ll stay on top of the cancer screenings – I know I’m high risk. I remember thinking that my mom was old when she died – when you are a kid you have no concept of age. Well, 47 is so young! And – she was diagnosed at 42. What a shame to have died so young. That can’t happen to me!

PANCHO: OMG!! Britt sounds like she is very intelligent! You are very lucky! Is she one of those kids that just thrives to learn?! Does she love school or what?! It’s so nice that you will be able to volunteer your time at school – I’m sure the teachers will appreciate it. We love parent involvement at our school – if it weren’t for our parents I don’t know what we would do!! Remind me….why no contact with your parents? I’ll be sending prayers your way for the MRI! I hear ya on the scar tissue – I had a BR 3 years ago too! We must be twins! But, at 120 I’m sure yours are a lot perkier than mine are!! HAHA! What a field trip that will be! We could never do anything like that – our families are so poor! We have to take either free field trips or nothing over $5 – the parents claim they can’t afford it but they can buy their packs of cigs! That pisses me off! Or – they are on free lunch but the kids have $2 for snacks every day! UGH!

TECH: When we were little, we started school later. Now it seems like every year starts earlier and earlier! This year we started August 7th and I think we get out May 24th. We have been bombarded with Katrina stuff this week. There is still so much to be cleaned up – it’s really sad. Some parts of NO look like a bomb went off. It is really a shame – some people are trying to work and get their lives together and then there are those that are just living off of the govt. and waiting for everything to be done for them. They are going to come home to brand new “public housing” and they will probably still complain. That pisses me off so much! You really need to see the Spike Lee movie – it was a really good movie I have to say but it was very much “one sided.” I can’t believe the job roller coaster that y’all are on! Best of luck with the interviews!!

THUNDER: I think if I would push our lawn I’d pass out! It’s just so hot and humid right now – don’t you agree? I’m ready for a cool snap – you know – some good gumbo weather!!

TONI: Woohoo! Big winner! A salad out sounds yummy! For some reason when I make a salad it’s never as good as a salad from a restaurant!

Well, I’m off to bed – it’s 9:30 and I’m turning into a pumpkin!

Hope to see you tomorrow!
Missy
Old 08-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #40  

We had unexpected company for dinner AGAIN tonight. Tonight, it was a couple we have been friends with for 15 or 20 years. They are Jamaican. They had a doctor's appointment, and came over to see the pictures James took at her birthday party about a month ago. I was about to fix dinner, so I adjusted the entree it would serve two more, and voila'! We had plenty. We had fun laughing and looking at the pictures. I will be ready for a quiet night tomorrow night though.

THIN: I am so sorry about your friend....

Gotta hit the sheets... Replies tomorrow!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #41  
Sonya

Morning all,

Fruit-Yes its very hot but there was a very nice breeze blowing yesterday so that helped. Yes I'm ready for some gumbo, soup, chili weather.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Got a good work out in last night, about 70 minutes. Came home, fixed dinner, friend stopped by to bring me her check and stayed for a few minutes. Put dishes off, DD wanted to go look at cars. Came home did dishes, fixed spaghetti sauce for tonight, made lunches. Finished my PC order and looked up and DH was going to bed at 10:00. I told hime I hadn't even got to set down and rest yet. So about 10:20 I curled up with my book and read until 11:00 and then went right to sleep and never woke up until the alarm at 5:00. That is 2 nights this week, I have slept through the night. I must really be tired. I'm loving it though.

Gator, Eels? You would probably eat fried insects too.

Toni, what a nice friend you are. I hate it when my day is all messed up. Have fun on your lunch today.

Thin, that is awlful about the teacher. It makes you feel creepy when you just saw them and then something like that happens. It will be tough on her class. How sad.

Missy, Yes I am talking about my daughters. And yes they are older. 23 and 26. But we always go watch their games. Some of our friends have boys that grew up with our girls and they play softball at the same place, and we used to always go watch their baseball games growing up so we go down and watch them too. DH likes to socialize and drink beer.

Monet, Golly, another night of drop ins for dinner. You handle it so well. I would be ordering pizza. You are amazing. I think people drop in on you because they know how good of a cook you are.

Thunder, I made veggie soup last week and again this week. I can't wait for chili. I don't know why I think we can't eat it in the summer. Our house is A/C.

Bob, where are you??????????

Country, if you are lurking, please drop in. We miss you.

Got to get started here. Be back later.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #43  

Good morning! I have been for my walk, and I had a protein smoothie, and am eating my steel cut oatmeal while I am reading on here.

Someone asked about steel cut oats.. McCanns is a fairly well known brand of them. They are also called Scottish oats. Instead of being rolled flat, they are cut into small pieces. They take a lot longer to cook, but are lower GI than the rolled. They are kind of nutty and have some texture. I much prefer them to rolled. I buy the Bob's Red Mill brand.

Also, Tech asked about the pedometer site. Here it is:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It is a great site for plotting your distance.

I need to do some cleaning today. We are having a birthday party here for Erik on Sunday. Its a surprise. Then, on Monday, Tom and I are heading out for four days for our anniversary. I come back and that Sunday is a large event at church that I SHOULD be helping with...and Monday is the first leadership dinner of the year, which I am supposed to cook for. Then the next weekend is a wedding I am coordinating, and on Sunday, Tom and I are going up to North Carolina with Ruth and Erik for a few days. His dad has a house up there that we will stay in. It should be fun.

I did not sleep well last night. There was a big storm that went through here with lots of lightning and thunder. The cat was in and scared to death. He was yowling in the hall! That was at 3...I could not sleep so I got up at 4, and put him out and sat and thought about my pastel painting and what I wanted to do next. I finally felt a bit sleepy at 5:30 and went back upstairs and crawled in bed. Tom got up at 6 and did an upper body workout right in the room. I was aware of that, but not totally awake. He kissed me good bye at 7 and I went ahead and got up then. I am wondering if my sleep problems are related to my blood sugar levels. I tested when I was up at 4, and it was low normal. Then this morning it was pretty good. The mornings it is high seem to be the nights I slept better.

SOLLY: I had to laugh...when Michael called last night to see if they could come over I invited them for dinner. He asked me what I was fixing, so I told him. His wife was in her car, and when she got here and heard he had asked me what I was fixing she about smacked him! I have worked with Michael in various ministries for years, and we 'understand' one another..so I did not care. She thought he was rude! I think they came for the pictures most of all, but I would do anything for them, since they would do anything for me. They are great friends.

THUNDER: I agree! Push mowing definitely counts as exercise! We used to have a push mower, and it was HARD work.

FRUIT: Maybe you will be the perfect teacher for the little runner...Poor kid. You wonder why he is like that. See my explanation of steel cut oats above...I see now it was you. I can relate to how you feel about the cancer thing. My father had colon cancer, and my mother died of Multiple Myeloma, a type of leukemia, and my sister had breast cancer. You just do what you can to stay healthy, and pray you don't have any problems. I know its scary, but early detected prostate cancer does have a high remission rate.

THIN: I am praying for the folks at your school...especially the kids in the fourth grade. Hope all is well.

TONI: Enjoy your lunch date! I love meeting friends for lunch. Unfortunately, salads are really expensive around here.

GATOR: You are a better woman than I am. Just the thought of eels turns my stomach. That along with snails, and 1000 year old eggs...

TECH: When is Derek's interview? That is so funny that the other school now calls you about lunch room lady. Do you want to do that? I guess it would give you some experience at least...then if the job opened up at one of your kids schools, you would have a better chance at it. Did you see the link for gmap pedometer above?

Justin just brought me Kaeleb...so they can sleep for a bit. I better go and focus on him. I don't get him to myself very often!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #44  

Hey LAdies. I'm lurking unintentionally. Every time I get on to post, I read to catch up but then something comes up with the kids. I've tried to sit down and psot more than once a day and it never works out!!

I'm eating pretty well. I'm proud of myself. NExt weekis my 6 week checkup, so after that I can work out again!!! Yippie!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #45  

Monet: Derek's interview is at 1pm. He's just leaving Scranton as we speak because he stayed overnight there on his way to NJ from Erie. Man, that guy does a ton of travelling. I'm not positive the job as lunchlady in Clayton is going to work for me...I'm guessing I'll probably pay about 50 - 60 bucks in gas just getting there and back and I'll probably get paid about 75 bucks a week. Probably won't be worth it as is, but I'll go to the interview anyway and ask if they can tack on some office hours before or after my lunchroom duties to make it worth my while driving. I'm sure they'll say no, but you can't blame a girl for asking right? I'm probably going to go ahead and put my name on the sub list. That's assuming Derek gets the job today ...otherwise, I'll go to Regis while Derek's home on unemployment and taking classes at the community college. No life-changing bombshells in the last couple days, so I'm in a good mood again.

Thin: Oh, my gosh...I'm so sorry for the loss of your co-worker. When someone passes so quickly, its always so hard to accept and deal with..like you said, you were just talking to her and now she's gone! I can't imagine what it's going to be like for her fourth grader (daughter?).

Missy: In regards to the little creep in your class, I wonder what LA state law says about putting a harness on him and tying him to the bike rack? At least it'll keep him from running into traffic!!

Solly: After that packed schedule last night and you STILL got in a 70 min workout? Jeez! You're my hero!! And, yes, I plan on doing the walk every day...reason being is that there's bound to be inclimate weather on some days or something will come up, so if I plan on 5 days a week to the lighthouse, then hopefully I'll get in at least three. I know me...

Toni: Salad and tea...I'll be having that a lot starting next week. Once I get the kids outta here and I can exercise and really kick my own butt. And stop eating things for lunch like pb&j.

Well, tomorrow I'm taking the kids to a water park to make up for not going to Rochester a few weeks ago when I cancelled everything for my interview that led to NOTHING. At least I'm saving money...going to Rochester always costs so much...between gas, food, entertainment...

Anyhow..I was just informed by Shelley that Kyle is naked in the living room. I suppose I should go run interferrence. Funny how God evolves your children in just the right time for them to start to drive you crazy so that you arent' so mental when they leave the house and leave you home alone. I'm starting to look forward to it.

Talk to you guys later!!

Kris
Closed Thread