Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 05:14 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY & CHAT AT 9:30PM EST
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FITNESS

Please visit our BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000082.html

Please make sure you post your BIO on the NEWEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000134.html

We have FOUR NEW INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000053.html

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000054.html

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000055.html

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000078.html

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000135.html

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS INFO and BE COUNTED in our weekly totals of pounds lost?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD BELOW to post your stats!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000136.html

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit REPLY NOT POST then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. Also, when the board gets to the 2nd & 3rd page, sometimes it may take a little longer for your message to appear, you can refresh your browser, or wait, but it will show up! If you need to edit your reply, just click on the pen and paper icon on top of your reply and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 02-26-2001, 05:19 PM   #2  

Good Monday Morning Everyone!

Just a quick post before I get Michael to school in a little bit. I'll be back on later for a regular post.

TODAY IS MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY and here is my contribution:

SCRUTINY

What if everyone knew your secrets? Would that change the way you live your life, the way you conduct business, the way you act when no one is looking? You may not live and work under the close scrutiny of others, yet it pays to act as though you do.

Scrutiny imposes discipline. If we're certain that no one will ever know, we're more likely to take shortcuts. Yet when we know that others are watching, we're more scrupulous about everything. That is almost always a good thing.

Though the world is not always watching you, the fact is that every action you take has consequences, whether you act publicly or in secret. If what you do today could not stand up to the scrutiny of others, then someday it will catch up with you.

Live as though the world is watching, and reap the many rewards that discipline and integrity will bring.

-- Ralph Marston

I hope you all have a wonderful week-I'll catch you all a little later!!!!

Debbie
194/137 /129
Old 02-26-2001, 05:27 PM   #3  

Good Monday morning everyone

Lots of you will not know me as I have not been on the board for quite a while. My dh was in the hospital for about five weeks and passed away on 14th February after a long battle with a brain tumor. Things are just beginning to get back to normal although of course I still have a lot of things to sort out.

I’d not been sticking to SB entirely during this time – too much eating on the run and hospital food but hope to be able to get back on track again. I also need to start exercising again. I’ve got a new tape – Susan Sansone’s 2 Mile Walk and am anxious to get started on it. I’ve been on SB for a little over a year and have lost a total of 29 lbs although I have been losing very, very slowly for the last several months. I’m hoping things will start moving again soon. At least I have managed not to gain during this stressful time. I guess I’m the expert at maintaining!

It’s good to see all the newbies on the board. Even though I haven’t posted lately I have been lurking occasionally and reading some of the posts. Sounds like lots of you are doing really well.

I hope all you gals who have been ill are now feeling better.

Susy, sorry to hear about your loss but glad to hear you are beginning to feel better. I’m sure Christopher will do well with his surgery.

I made some great salmon patties the other day which were really yummy. The recipe called for mashed potato but I substituted sweet potato to make it SB legal. I will post the recipe as soon as I get it typed up.

Karen3000, that was an interesting article on refined carbs. I know there have been other studies done on the effects of high insulin levels (which of course occurs with high glycemic food intake) in relation to weight gain and heart conditions but there are many who still insist that low fat/high carb is the only way to go even though it has been proven that it doesn’t work for weight loss in the long term.

Overcome, I agree with others about the oatmeal. I know instant oatmeal is mentioned in SB in their meal plans but the regular oatmeal is much better as it is less refined. I use regular oatmeal and cook it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it works out just fine. Regarding the berries I believe they are considered O.K. to eat with meals as they contain a lot of fibre. This is mentioned in Montignac’s book but I’ve loaned my book to a friend so can’t check exactly what he says.

BigO, I checked out that book about HIGH VOLTAGE on B&N and it sounds like one of the things she talks about is the emotions of eating. May be an interesting book to read. You really got yourself a bargain. Let’s know what you think about it. I’d also be intersted in some vegetarian recipes if you find some good ones in the new book. I’m not vegetarian but do get tired of eating meat sometimes and like to try different things.

Sasham, I wish you luck with your move and hope it doesn’t take you too long to get things straightened out. I’m sure you will have your computer up and running ASAP. I’m typing this at 3.30 am in a room that is in the middle of being decorated. No curtains on the windows but I am hidden behind some furniture. I went to bed very early last night as I was feeling yucky so now I am wide awake. Will try to get a little more shut-eye soon before going to work at 6.30 am.

Cheri45, congratulations on your new granddaughter. It’s so good to hear that the three year old is loving his hew sister. Mom has obviously done a good job preparing him for her arrival.

GatorGal, you make me wish I was in a warmer climate with your description of your grapefruit tree. I’ve certainly never heard of leaves falling in the spring.

Joy, beans and lentils are good low fat/high protein foods. I sometimes use canned lentils (when I’m feeling lazy or pushed for time). I like to fry up some veggies, say onions, zucchini, green/red peppers, celery, tomatoes and some grated squash – any combination of veggies that you like – add some seasoning – I often use parsley and basil and a squirt of lemon juice - and stuff it into a pita bread with a little grated cheese on top. Yummy.

Well, that’s enough rambling for now. Hope you all have a good SUGAR BUSTING week.

Marie
Toronto, Canada.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:36 PM   #4  

Good morning!

Rosalie.... I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for all the advice on protein. Rhoo.... sorry to say this to you but... YUCK ON EGG WHITES PLAIN!!!! (was that subtle, I hope..... :insane

Ashley.... 65 invitations??? Whooo.... that girl should get everything she needs and more. I got a couple things stamped yesterday, but have 15 to do for a swap on Monday at stamp club. I have an idea, so at least the hard part is done..... if my idea looks okay.

I have a doctor appointment today. I took my own stitches out yesterday because he had tape over the stitches, then a stitch over the tape, and the tape was nasty so I just took everything out. It's fine, though it still hurts and the lump looks just as big. I will see what he says about that.

Off to find something for breakfast, and pack my lunch.....

Oh but first.... I've tallied up the weight loss and posted it on the boards (the past week's, and the 2001 board). We're averaging approximately 100 pounds a month lost. That is AWESOME!!! Keep it up you losers!!!

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/236.5/150
Janesville CA (an itty bitty town 80 miles NW of Reno NV)
Old 02-26-2001, 07:38 PM   #5  

for Motivational Monday

THE ONLY WAY TO FAIL IS TO STOP TRYING TO SUCCEED
Old 02-26-2001, 08:12 PM   #6  
viv

Hey Everyone...
Just wanted to check in after being away for the weekend...

But not feeling very chatty. We haven't seen the inlaws in 3.5 years and then lo and behold, we see them and then DH and I start having issues (again)

So I am feeling really low today.
Reading the posts made me feel better

On the diet side, I seem to be a bit up again today BUT I stayed totally OP all weekend altho I think I went a bit heavy on the fatty proteins (sausages, cheese, etc). No sweets, tho. Yest I had a pumpernickel bagel - 1/2 at lunch, 1/2 at bkfst....and for dinner I had some WW macaroni with the mix from Annie's mac n cheese on it...so maybe a bit heavy on the carbs yesterday. Bottom line - a stressful weekend away but I stayed in the limits. Hopefully the weight will come back off soon.

So...have a nice day everyone. I'll be lurking....

Viv
146/138?140?/128
simsbury, ct
Old 02-26-2001, 08:21 PM   #7  
Check out my homepage=>

Hi All!

Sorry I've been AWOL, but injured myself & was rather laid up. Nothing serious, just age setting in! Sometimes I forget that my body isn't 20 any more!

ROSALIE - Welcome back; so sorry to hear about your husband. Give yourself plenty of time to be "raw."

EVERYBODY - 100 pounds a month!?!? Wow - hope I can contribute to that whopping figure!

I spent the weekend working at my stepdaughter's house (remodeling) - despite being injured. Okay, so I'm one of THOSE people who just can't stop... Anyway, I didn't plan properly Saturday & was confronted with the reality of non-SB eating. I had to decide if I was going to eat junk or not eat at all....some choice, eh? I "feasted" on sandwiches made with white bread, potato salad, and pizza. Sunday, I kept nearly passing out. Must have been my blood sugar levels...that yucky dizziness when you move too quickly... It served as a vivid reminder of why I chose to adopt this WOE. Back on track for sure, and next time I'm taking food with me!!!

MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

Okay, vain as it is, here's my motivation for the week. Last weekend I got into that Little Black Dress for the first time in a LONG time! Yippee!!! If I knew how to download it, I'd share the picture. Stick with this - it works!

[This message has been edited by MsLiz1956 (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 08:24 PM   #8  
***ORANGE CHICK***

MORNING

Rosalie: I'm so sorry about your husband. Sorry we couldn't be there for you, but we'll sure be HERE for you.
Glad to see you back on the board. If you didn't notice already, we have our own chat room....hope to see you there.

ASHLEY: Tell you FIL to go to BILO...they carry the WILEYS...infact, that's where I got my first!
If you find that steamer...asparagus is WONDERFUL cooked in it...If it weren't for it being so expensive down here, I WOULD EAT IS EVERYDAY....and besides, it's a nature diuretic !!!

I've GOT TO GET TO WORK....I'll click more later
Old 02-26-2001, 09:41 PM   #9  

Hi!

I am so excited I just had to quickly post that We have a new Trader Joe's here in Indianapolis. I am going down to see just what it's all about.

Later,

Cheri
Old 02-26-2001, 11:24 PM   #10  

Good Monday Again All!

Finally got home, was out longer than I expected this morning. NOW, I finally have a few quiet minutes to respond to everyone.

Dinner at Mom's was good yesterday, but I definitely overate. Her friend Jeanette has been staying with her and my Dad for over a month (she's from Rochester), and she's Italian and loves to cook (my Father will cry as her plane leaves this week). Whenever she comes down she make a big dinner-like for a flippin Army! Anyhow, she made this simple zuchinni dish I love and I had that and some salad and roast pork that fell off the fork. Well, my Mother comes out with Breyers Vanilla IC and I had her give me about 1/2 a cup-well, mind you, I haven't had real ice cream in over 11 months, so I became a really hot topic when I started eating this (actually, it seemed I was trying to beat the clock, that stuff melts VERY fast), I KNEW I shouldn't eat it, I was full-but I pushed myself well knowing that - well, lets just say, I don't think I will count myself as having any-straight down the drain it went!!! I knew it would happen, that's why I had some and knew I would shock the masses!!!

Anyhow, I'm really hoping that another reason I got sick is that my TOM will be coming-I'm over a week late, which is really not like me at all. Trust me, I'm not prego, but I haven't found if when you are sick, it does a number on your system in that way-hopefully, it's that. I am up 3lbs on the scale - this stinks. I know it's temporary, but why does this always seem to happen when I reached my goal for the end of the month and then it goes up and screws my whole plan up!?! Oh well, patience Debbie, patience!!!

Next question - DOES ANYONE ON THE BOARD KNIT??? I bought a sweater at a garage sale and it's too big. I wanted to know if it can be made smaller easily-any ideas???

THINAGIN, glad you are doing better. There's a store like you went to down here that has neat stuff like that-I bought these little cards and they have great little motivational sentences on them-I like stores like that! When is Christopher having the surgery?? We'll say a prayer for him! Yeah, yeah, just rub that you can go to TJ's in my open wounds!!! I like Cost Plus too, (not anywhere near TJ's though) they too have some SB legal chocolate there. Glad to hear you got a new scale, did you get a digital or regular?? Did you get non-stick or regular cookware. I need to get some new stuff, but swear this time, I am getting regular, no more non-stick. I may get one small pan for omelets, but other than that, it's going to be regular-that non-stick doesn't do too well for me-Eli has a way of burning the coating off my cookware!

QUILTER, OMG, I can't believe what happened to the rice! And the cooker! That sounds just like something I would do!! Happy to hear you liked Outback, I love their salmon as well, always with a plain sweet potato! They have delicious sweet potatos at Marco Island! Wish we could have the maple butter with it, but alone, it's just as delicious! I love the salad bar there, best blue cheese I've ever had!!! Unless we get some unexpected cold weather, bring summer clothes, it's been HOT! Is John Edward's show on cable?? I like him too, though I really like George Anderson, ever read his books??

BIGO, gosh, I didn't realize I had hit the Temple circuit twice in 1 week - egads, what will they think! I know they carry the Cabot cheese at Publix, but the 75% reduced fat, I can get it for $4.59 a pound, so keep that in mind, as I know they charge something like $2.29 for the 6oz pkg of this cheese at Publix. That lady's book called HIGH VOLTAGE, haven't heard a thing about it-let me know what you think about it. Wonder if they have it at the library, what's her name?? The other book sounds good too, let me know what you make from it!!! Do you think you are lactose intolerant with the bloating from dairy-oooweee, you don't want to get near Eli if he's had any dairy without taking Lactaid!

BEACH, glad to hear you are doing somewhat better. Seems what we both got is going to linger for a while. We desperately need rain down here-the fires are starting to pop up all over when it gets like this. Now they say that soon, our water pressure will lessen-not a RC emergency, but I hate to see what may happen if we don't get some rain, and soon!!!

JOY, sounds like you've been doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen lately. Will check out that new recipe you posted. I'm in the mood to make some cookies, lets see just how inspired I get! Protein, try eating more cottage cheese, more beans, eggs, tuna, milk, nuts, stuff like that. Let us know how the Dr went today!

RHROO, I hope you, Viv and Sas can meet one day. What better place to meet than a Trader Joes!!

CHERI, the pictures of the kids are adorable. I will try and get those loaded for you today-I'll be in touch. Yep, it was me who had the tummy tuck-better than the fat apron I had hanging. One thing, the Dr. said not to gain weight, I did, and it stretched my skin out-I would recommend it highly, but I would say, wait until you have been at your goal weight for a while, it's how I should of done it. Did you get to TJ's???? Lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!

GATOR, sounds like the blossoms around your area are smelling good, down here, all I smell are the stinky mango blossoms-yuck!

OVERCOME, make sure you buy the ROLLED OATS, they are the best to have.

ROSALIE, I'm glad to see you back on the board but oh so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. My sympathies to you and your family. Like BIGO said, sorry we can be there, but we can be here for you!!!! I'm glad to see you are still with us, despite all the trying times you've been going through, you never cease to amaze me! You will definitely have to post that salmon recipe, I'm sure it was delicious.

VIV, sorry to hear the weekend didn't go smoothley, but it's over now, and hopefully, blue skies ahead! Trust me, you weren't the only one binging on carbs this weekend-I'm up big time!!!

MSLIZ, send that picture this way, I'll help you get it loaded! Glad to hear you are back on track-sounds like a horrible weekend food wise and with the effects it had on you!!

Well gals, I'm going to see what I can find to eat for lunch, I'm starving and getting a lovely headache! I'll check in with you all later this evening!

Toodles

Debbie
194/137 /129
Miami, FL

Old 02-27-2001, 12:23 AM   #11  

Was just skimming the web and found this interesting bread baking book that may be of interest for those of you who have bread machines. I don't know a thing about the book, but it says they use whole grains and no refined sugars!

http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/items/...baking/030.htm

Old 02-27-2001, 01:13 AM   #12  

I just wrote up a huge posting and then got kicked off the internet, shucks! Oh well, here goes again. I finally got a diagnosis on my illness - it is just severe bronchitis - probably all the smoke in the air here from the fires. The bad news is the doctor says it will last at least 3 more weeks. Yuck.

Deb: I can't believe it, you are human, I was starting to thing that you were superwoman-tee hee. I am sure those pounds are just water weight for your late TOM. I think I may get one of those bread machines. Anyone know which one is a good one?

Rosalie: I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I am new to the board, but am a therapist if you need to talk.

Viv: I am sorry to hear about your weekend. Visiting In-laws can be sooo hard. Just remember how special and important you are and forget about them!

Susy: I will pray for Christopher's operation. You sure are under the stress lately! Make sure you find time for yourself! You need it right now.

Overcome: I tried to look at your bio wedding picture, but it wouldn't let me get to it. I am a newlywed too, about a week before you - September 23.

Quilter - Hi! How is it going?

Orange: How is Tenn doing in Basketball? My team, Penn State, lost to my husband's team, Michigan State, Saturday night, so I have been taking some ribbing. How's that for a run on sentence!!!

Well, I need to go lay back down for a while.

I'm not sure this is ok for Motivational Monday, but helps me today!

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!

Annette
Ormond Beach, FL

200/198/140
Old 02-27-2001, 01:25 AM   #13  

Hello everyone. Most of you probably don't know or don't remember me because I've only been on once since December. I was doing very well on my SB diet until I hurt my knee and had to have surgery just before Christmas. Well, between the physical slowdown and boredom, I gained back up to just over 200 lbs during that time. The surgery went great and I'm almost back at 100% so I started on the diet again. Two weeks ago I was back down to 192 and was sooo proud. Well, on February 18th I found out that I've got to give up all weight loss programs and strenuous exercise. At least until October 28th when our little addition will arrive! Anybody have any suggestions on how I might alter the SB lifestyle to stay healthy and give my little angel a boost before she/he arrives? I gained 75 lbs with my last baby and I definately don't want to do that again.

Rosalie: I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope to be online a little more often in the future. Everybody take care.

Donna
Old 02-27-2001, 01:34 AM   #14  

Me again-thought I'd pop on and see what was going on!

ANNETTE, sorry I missed you on the I/M, I was lounging on the couch, trying not to fall asleep-this being sick is for the birds! Hope it isn't 2 more weeks for you, or me!!!

SKINNY, CONGRATULATIONS DONNA! So Duncan is going to be a big brother! I'm surprised that your Dr. told you to stop this WOE and exercising. Being that SB is a well rounded WOE, I don't see WHY you'd have to give it up, or even modify it-does he understand about SB? And no exercise?? I can't understand that either, unless you physcially can't because of your surgery. I hope all goes well with your pregnancy-good luck~

Okay, I'm outta hear again!!!!

Debbie
194/137 /129
Miami, FL

Old 02-27-2001, 02:32 AM   #15  

Hi everyone, just checking in. Here is a little something I found for MM:

Keep in mind the 21-day rule. If you stick with something for 21 days, it will become a habit. Keep a journal for the 21 days or mark it off on a calendar. Before you know it, your healthy habits will be your lifestyle.

Rosalie: So sorry to hear about your husband. Please take good care of yourself!

Viv: I know all about in-laws, my ex-in-laws were the pits. God blessed me six years ago with a wonderful husband who has wonderful parents! E-mail me if you need to talk.

Everybody have a great week! Debi

Closed Thread