Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 08:13 AM   #46  

Hi Everyone! Will probably have to keep this short because it’s already after 9 and I am such an early to bed person. (Drives me nuts!) Today was a great day. I have been looking all over for this wonderful hand cream called Camille Beckman. Anybody ever heard of it. Honestly, my hands are alway SOOOOO dry, they crack and bleed in the winter. I found this stuff in January but the store was too far away for an easy visit. My boss told me she found it at Hader Hardware. How weird is that??? So we went at lunch time today and I loaded up. I’m so HAPPY!!!!! I ate really well today, too. So that adds to my giddiness.

DEB---Glad to hear your “friend” finally arrived. That can be the pits. But I’m worried that you will still be sickly when our visit hits. I sure hope not. I just want you to get better. Have you gone to the dr yet???? Just asking.

CHERI---I’m so glad you are going to TJs. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Tell us what you buy and just how far it is from STarbucks. I went to the website last night, because DEB gave me a link and saw that there are NONE in OH yet. No mention of a Columbus spot yet. And Indy has the only one in IN. None in KY. I’ll bet it will be so crowded. The website is really interesting telling how they came to be and what their philosophy is. That kind of thing.

OVERCOME---Got my rack for the TM today. Fast service for sure. I’m so excited. Can’t wait to get going on my new exercise regime. (Doesn’t that sound official?)

VIV---I’ve been looking for you on IM for the past two nights, but can’t seem to find you. Girl, if you need to talk and gripe and let it all out, let me know. I hope things get better soon. I just deleted a whole bunch of stuff that I realized I shouldn’t post. Maybe we’ll talk soon and I can tell you one on one. You are in my thoughts. I wish I didn’t eat when I was depressed, or bored, or angry, or frustrated. Gosh, this is getting depressing for me. Anybody got a candy bar???? (Did you laugh just then? I hope so.)

So ORANGE . . . are you posting at 9:17 on Tuesday. Bet you are!!!

Well, gals, I’m going to go watch Freaks and Geeks with my husband. No, I’m not talking about the pres and congress. It’s a show on Fox Family that my husband adores. I think he needs a back scratchin’. That will pu thim in hog heaven. Talk to you later.

Kim
185/176/139
The ‘Nati

Old 02-28-2001, 08:21 AM   #47  

Good Evening,
Once again I'm behind in the posts. A couple people asked me about the belly button suckin' exercise I do (sorry... only way I could describe it tonight ) I can't remember where I found this exercise... I want to say Prevention Magazine, but can't be sure. I do it even standing up, whenever I think about it, sort of like Keigel exercises.

Don't forget to post your weight on the weekly weigh-in board..... on whatever day you weigh.... I tally them every Sunday evening or Monday morning. We're all a bunch of LOSERS!!! yippeeeeeee

Does anyone want a dorky high school senior? My son is driving me nuts tonight.

Oh, tonight I cooked chicken breasts in pasta sauce..... yummy!!! Served it over whole wheat pasta.

Guess I'll go listen to the President.

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/236.5/150
Janesville CA (an itty bitty town 80 miles NW of Reno NV)
Old 02-28-2001, 09:44 AM   #48  

Hi everyone

Had a busy day to-day. I finished washing the bedroom walls, went for a swim and was out for supper and a movie this evening.

The Quilter, As far as I know we don't have QVC up here, but I don't know what it is so please enlighten me and I will check my TV guide again. We used to have a few exercise programs on TV in the morning but lately I can't find any. Denise Austin I know is on ESPN in the am but we get some other program on that channel.

Rhroo, Spring always seems a long time coming here. I would say the end of March, beginning of April but the weather can be so changeable. You can have almost a heatwave one day and freeze the next day. Sometimes summer seems to come before we've really had a spring. Does that sound like spring in Mass?

Debbie, Those strawberries should taste delicious dipped in the melted chocolate. I haven't had any nausea for the last couple of days. Maybe I had been eating more non-legal stuff than I realised. I have definitely been on plan the last couple of days and feeling better. Glad to hear you have your TOM at last. I'm sure that's a relief for you.

Beachfan, Glad to hear you are beginning to feel better.

Cheri45, Way to go with the 2 lb loss. Hope you also have a good WIW.

CathyH, There is an article on the food board explaining about the effects of acid on metabolism. It was taken from The Glucose Revolution. It doesn't specifically mention apple cider vinegar, but does mention vinegar and lemon juice and sourdough bread.

GatorGal, I can't really answer your question of whether beans are a protein or starch but I think it is o.k to have beans with meat as most beans are quite low on the gi scale. MM recommends in his book that if you are having meat to keep any accompanying food to 30 gi or lower. He also suggests that it is good to sometimes have meatless meals that consist of beans/lentils with brown rice as a good way to aid weight loss.

Karen3000, I have a copy of The Glucose Revolution. I think it is worthwhile to read. There is lots of info on the glycemic index.

Well I'd better start getting ready to hit the sack as I have to be up early for work in the a.m.

Good nite all.

Marie.
Old 02-28-2001, 05:30 PM   #49  

Good Morning

Thanks Rosalie for the info. Now all I need to do is find the food board. More time for that tonight! The scale says I dropped 1/2 lb. Thats inspiring. I've been keeping myself busy to stay away from those "BAD" foods. Feeling rather perky have been taking my multi vitamin, and St. Johns Wort. I'll know by next month if its helping my PMS. DH sure hopes so. LOL

I was searching the net and found Apple Cider Vinegar pills. I'll have to check it out further.

Well its off to work I go Hi Ho! Have a great wednesday. I'll check back later today.

Cathy in Ohio
198/178/145-150?
Old 02-28-2001, 07:08 PM   #50  
Check out my homepage=>

Hi, Losers!

Just checking in early...I'll weigh in (officially) at 11, but wanted to get here before that (before the phone starts ringing). Keep your lovely collective fingers crossed that the loss holds true!

Had a HORRIBLE dinner last night! Barbecued shrimp on the grill, fresh asparagus, brown rice...sounds great, eh? The planets must not have been aligned or something - everything came out overcooked & gross. I ended up throwing it all away & dining on cheese & Triscuits! Ah, well...obviously I don't possess much in the way of culinary talents.

ANNETTE - you have my sympathies on your chosen profession, my dear (just kidding)! Seriously, I admire anyone who has the courage/patience/creativity/insanity to work with teens. Being that I had 5 of them at home when I was in practice, I wasn't about to go to work and do the same thing!

DEBELLI - congrats (?!?!) on TOM. Hey, what does "WO" stand for? I figured out HFS=Health Food Store, but WO has me stumped.

THIN - how's Christopher? How are you holding up?

CATHY H - be careful/conservative on the vinegar! There are some weight-loss properties (remember the old vinegar diet?) but it can mess with your PH and make you smell TERRIBLE long term!! Remember Susan Powter's son telling her she smelled like dirty socks!?

VIV - How ya doin', pal? Assassinated your DH yet? I used to do marital therapy - email me if ya wanna chat...

CMD - were you referring to "stomach vacuums?" Those are great abdominal exercises. And I'll pass on your teen son - been there, done that - and survived. I earned my stripes, gal...I'll just stick with grandbabies, thanks.

I'll check in after weigh-in! [[fingers crossed]]

------------------
-Liz
125/121/105

"Do or Not Do. There is no Try." - Yoda, "Star Wars"
Old 02-28-2001, 07:31 PM   #51  

Good morning!

It's my official weigh in day.... I didn't lose an ounce. I started to be discouraged but then realized that was stupid... after 4 pounds last week, what do I want?????? Okay okay... I want MORE!!! I have been tracking my foods, and know I should (theoretically) have lost, and since I don't have periods anymore I can't even blame it on any time of the month.... but I'm not going to let it get me down!!!!!

Hope everyone else is losing!!

have a great day!

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/236.5/150
Old 02-28-2001, 07:36 PM   #52  

Liz... explain to me more about the stomach vacuum.......

Thanks!

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/236.5/150
Old 02-28-2001, 08:03 PM   #53  
viv

I am so sorry - still not my usual effervescent self but still checking in...thanks for all the virtual hugs. I can tell you, at least DH still has his hair at 42....so there's one good thing!

Everyone - thanks for the offers to chat. I really appreciate them.

Quilter - you crack me up. Move to Connecticut.

Listen - a friend of mine (skinny) highly recommended this book to me - I read the Amazon reviews and am going to try to get it from the library. It's called Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell - there is also one called Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell (for 35-55). It's not a diet book, but she swears by it and the reviews are resoundingly positive. Anyone read it?

Also - I want to get a good glycemic index book. Any suggestions?

I am so sorry I haven't been able to respond to the posts, but again, I read them all the time. You guys are wonderful.

And I'm still below 140....

Viv
146/139/128
Simsbury, CT
Old 02-28-2001, 08:11 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone,

I am new to SugarBusters and new to this board. I am glad to find you and hope to make some new friends here. It has taken me the past hour to get the feel of moving around this board but I think I have it now.

I am 27, 5"7" inches and 180 lbs. I have gained 30 pounds in the past 6 months and who can blame me. Living in Philly, we have access to some very high fat foods like CHEESE STEAKS, etc. I woke up yesterday morning feeling like crap and feeling like my air way was closing up. I tried to put on my size 14 jeans and could not pull them up over my hips. The was the end for me. I immediately tried to incorporate some of the SugarBusters diet yesterday. I do have a headache today and feel really weak. My guess is that I have not eaten enough and may not be doing the diet correctly. My BIGGEST problem is that I am a VERY pickey eater and don't eat most things. I like fruits, some veggies and chicken but I am not live on this three indefinately.

I am just looking for a little encouragement, support, and help with what to eat!!

Thanks for your time!!

Kim
Old 02-28-2001, 08:26 PM   #55  
Check out my homepage=>

Welcome, Kim!!!

Glad you found us. And, yeah, it does take a bit of time to learn the navigation here (every website is different) but it seems you've got the hang of it! Have you read the "SugarBusters" book yet? That's definitely where you should start. The concept is simple. I'm still not completely compliant, but for the most part my eating has changed, and I feel much better.

DEBELLI - thanks for the tip on the previous posts appearing below - I never knew that! It sure makes it easier!

CMD - Although "stomach vacuums" sound like cosmetic surgery they're ab exercises where you suck in your stomach as hard as you can and hold it for 10 seconds. Pretend you're trying to make your bellybutton touch your backbone, and you get the idea! GREAT upper ab definer. I have a routine that I do called "Ab Bootcamp" - it's a real killer - and stomach vacuums are part of it.

------------------
-Liz
125/121/105

[This message has been edited by MsLiz1956 (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 09:12 PM   #56  
viv

I just read this article on Atkins on msn.com - it's from WebMd. It's kinda long but I like reading about Atkins. Makes me feel superior. Here goes...

Experts Debate the Mystery Behind the Atkins Diet

Where Does the Weight Loss Come From?

By Dan DeNoon
with reporting by David Flegel, MS
WebMD Medical News

Reviewed by Dr. Pamela R. Yoder

Nov. 1, 2000 (Long Beach, Calif.) -- Dieters who lose weight the Atkins way may really be doing it the old-fashioned way: by simply eating fewer calories. Even so, very few people on the diet maintain their weight loss over the long term, according to studies presented here at a meeting of obesity experts.

An outspoken critic of the Atkins diet -- Harvard researcher George Blackburn, MD, PhD -- says the studies offer the first hard, scientific evidence to disprove the theory behind the diet.

Blackburn doesn't deny that Atkins followers lose weight, but "you get no points for weight loss -- only for keeping it off. Very few people can stay on this diet beyond a few days or weeks," he says. Although Blackburn currently is involved in Atkins diet research -- some of which Robert Atkins, MD, helps pay for -- he was not involved in the studies reported at this conference.

First introduced in the 1970s, the Atkins diet makes carbohydrates taboo -- breads, cereals, rice, pasta, fruits, and vegetables. The idea is to change the body's metabolism by making it get most of its fuel not from carbohydrates, as is normal, but from protein and fat. This leads to an altered state called ketosis. The theory behind the diet is that the body loses weight more efficiently when forced into a state of ketosis. One reason for this may simply be that ketosis makes a person lose his or her appetite.

To test this theory, Bernard V. Miller, MD, and colleagues at The Research Institute and Clinical Pharmacology Research Center in Cooperstown, N.Y., intensively studied nine men and nine women who agreed to follow the Atkins diet. All of the men and six of the women were medically diagnosed as obese, and the three remaining women were overweight.

As expected, all subjects went into a state of ketosis each day they stayed on the diet. And they lost weight -- nearly 12 pounds, on average. But when Miller and co-workers looked at the number of calories consumed, they discovered that the Atkins dieters were taking in far fewer calories than they did before starting the diet.

"While the Atkins diet causes ketosis, weight loss appears to be result from caloric restriction," Miller tells WebMD.

"It is possible that people who are doing the diet on their own may eat less," Colette Heimowitz, MS, director of education and research at The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine in New York, tells WebMD. But when patients participate in the programs at the center, the staff monitors their eating habits. The nutritional counselors advise patients to get 1,800 calories a day, she says. Ultimately, what does it matter whether it's calories or ketones, asks Heimowitz, as long as people are losing the weight?

Successful weight loss and maintenance of that loss has been the area of research by Holly Wyatt, MD, a researcher at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. She and her colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh and Brown University studied people who have successfully lost a lot of weight -- at least 30 pounds -- and who have kept it off for more than a year.

Wyatt took a look at the diets reported by more than 2,600 men and women. Only 25 of these people ate diets containing less than 24% carbohydrates -- more carbohydrates than the Atkins diet allows. Those eating the low carbs tended to have kept their weight off for shorter periods and tended to exercise less than other people -- most of whom ate lots of carbohydrates.

"If there were successful, long-term weight losers on the Atkins diet out there, we would have found them," Wyatt tells WebMD, noting that she found very few Atkins dieters among the group. "If it worked over the long term, we think we would have seen a substantial number of those people."

Wyatt says that the people lost their weight using all kinds of strategies. But nearly all of them kept the weight off the same way -- by physical activity equivalent to walking at least 4 miles a day.

Wyatt says the Miller team's study confirms what most doctors think about the Atkins diet -- that it works by restricting calories.

"It's not a magic, fat-burning diet -- it's fewer calories," she says.

Blackburn goes even further. "This diet only has testimonials; it has not been adequately scientifically tested. To his credit, Dr. Atkins is funding this research. We are doing a study at Harvard to get the evidence that the public needs."

© 2000 WebMD Corporation. All rights reserved.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:31 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the WELCOME liz,

I have read the SugarBusters book, twice and I am still confused about a few things. After work today I head to the health food store. I think my BIGGEST problem was the french fries, white breads, pastas. I think it I switch to all whole wheat I can make a HUGE difference. This is my theory. I will let you know soon if it works...hehehe
Old 02-28-2001, 10:37 PM   #58  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning Everyone!

Wasn't able to get on the pooter last night, Michael was doing homework, so I hit the hay cause I wasn't in the mood to watch Bush on the boob-tube.

I surprised myself by walking this morning! I actually got in my usual 4.5 miles even though I was having wonderful cramps, which I usually NEVER get. They were terrible, but as soon as I started walking, they magically disappeared-problem is, when I stopped walking, they came back, just not as bad. I used my Powerbelt 4 of the miles, not bad, considering I haven't been walking like I had been since I've been sick.

Okay, on to the WIW news, I'm still up but I know this is expected from this TOM, so I'm not really fretting too much over it. So, I won't be posting my loss on the WI board, as I'm still up 2.5lbs from last week. BUT, if I really look on the brighter side of things, I think I've seen the last of those 140's forever! I got close to it the other night, but it went back down, thank goodness. I hit my goal for the month early, but not today, so no cigar with that. I have to set a goal for next months EOM, probably 132, though I'd like to make goal.

I just got an e-mail from the Glycemic Research Institute where Dr. Allen is, and they said they are having a Diabetes Wellness Expo and that she will be there the middle of March. I may try to attend, to ask her some questions, though I'm not sure of exactly when she will physically be at the booth. I may go anyhow, just to see what things they have available that may be good for us, maybe they'll have low gi foods or info-who knows.

ANNETTE, so you thought we were all so smart with great memories, well, maybe some of us are, but I am NOT one of them!! I'm lucky to remember my name sometimes!! LOL!! Dinner sounded yummy, though I hate making fish at home, never comes out good-one day though, I want to try the blackened fish recipe ROSALIE posted for me. I had it at a dinner party, it was AWESOME!!! Wonder how bad I could screw it up!!

CATHY, Congrats on your loss this week! I have heard about the apple cider vinegar theory and heard it was a farce. BUT, what may not work for one person, may for another. I guess something like that doesn't hurt to try, what's the most you could lose, if not the weight, a few dollars?? Let us know if you try it out.

GATOR, I believe beans are a protein, not a startchy carb. I'm still trying to get these pics reduced so I can post them, Michael said he'd help me try-you came out good!

QUILTER, never heard of that lotion, but glad you found it. When we were in Mt. Dora, Narda (BIGO) was looking for the kitchen soft soap by Crabtree & Evelyn and we found it, she was happy-it's always great to find something you are searching for. I have so much lotion in my house, Eli is such a good guy, gives me foot messages quite often!! Don't worry about me, I'll be fine by next week!! Nope haven't been to the Dr., going to make an appt. today for a boobie squishing!!!

KAREN, glad to hear you like your treadmill and liking this WOE. I have read the Glucose Revolution, see if your library has it. It has some interesting info in it, but not a book I bought to keep-good to read though.

JOY, so are you still sucking it in?? LOL!! I have my own dorkie teenager, so I'll have to pass on your offer-we will survive!!! Be happy you stayed the same, I gained, you could of ended up like me!!!

VIV, I have that book, but couldn't really get into it, maybe I'll try again. Again, your library should have it. I try not to buy any books until I've seen if the library has them, esp. cookbooks. Then, if I like them, I try to find them on the net, used or new cheaply. At least I know that I am going to like it. I would tell you to just print out the 2 good GI lists from the web, which both are listed on the information boards, there aren't any books that have any better GI info. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

ROSALIE, glad you had a good time going out to dinner and a movie, and that you are feeling better!! I'm sure you enjoyed your swim as well. Is it warming up up there yet???

MSLIZ, I'm sure you are going to have a good WI today!! Let us know how you did. You sound like you are a wonderful cook, just like me!! WO, is Wild Oats, another HFS

DIDJA, WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Glad you found us and decided to join us as well. Thanks for posting your BIO on the BIO BOARD as well, nice to learn about you! The headaches are probably from your body detoxing from the sugar, they will pass, but do make sure you are eating enough, this is very important. Make sure you get enough protein as well, about 30% of your daily intake should be from protein. Lots of the gals on the board use the fitday.com site to help them keep track of their intakes, this is important, esp. at the beginning. SB doesn't say you need to keep track, but I truly think it's important, and it seems that when people are not losing as they think they should, it's usually due to their intake of foods being too low/high. I'm sure even being a picky eater, you can do this WOE easily, I'm sure there are lots of things you'd like to eat, you just haven't discovered them yet!!!! Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions about SB, or about things that seem confusing or contradictory-we're more than happy to help answer any questions best we can. Again, WELCOME!!!

Well gals, I'm outta here-time to take a shower and figure out what I am going to do afterwards. I'll check in with you all later.

PLEASE REMEMBER, TOMORROW IS RECIPE DAY If you have any good recipes you'd like to share with the board, please, post them tomorrow on the new MARCH RECIPE BOARD located at the link below:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000134.html

Anyone have any requests for a certain recipe??

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!

Debbie
194/136.5 /129
Miami, FL

Old 02-28-2001, 11:15 PM   #59  

Hi everybody! Went to my endocrinologist yesterday and he took an untrasound. We've got ONE baby in there! Whew!!! I'm up for twins on both sides of my family and I've dodged it twice now. LOL Anyway, we got pictures and everything. Insurance said that they wouldn't pay even though I'm considered high risk for miscarriage so the doc did it as a freebee. I'm officially 6 weeks and they're calling the baby my little space cadette. LOL

DEBELLI, ROSALIE, & THINAGIN: I have no intentions of stopping the SB WOE. I just need to modify it a little from weight loss to maintenance +. And I can't do any STRENUOUS exercise, like aerobics. I can do a stationary bike and swimming with no problems so that's what I'll do. I am at a much higher risk for miscarriage due to the Hashimoto's Disease that I have. The doctor took me off a lot of meds yesterday and switched doesges of what was left so this should get interesting soon.

THINAGIN: With Duncan, I had high bloodpressure but we never figured out if it was pregnancy-induced or crazy jerk boss induced. He kept me so upset that my blood pressure would skyrocket to stroke levels and then I'd have to make a mad dash to the OB. I'm glad I won't have to contend with that this time around.

QUILTER: Thank you so very much. We're pretty excited. Well, I am. My husband's still in shock! LOL

ORANGE: Hey! I'm great! How are you doing?

CHERI45: We definately want a girl and that's what we think we'll get. A few months ago Duncan started demanding to see his sister, even though he knows he's only got a brother! We haven't been able to make him drop it and he's absolutely adamant that he's got a brother AND a sister.

Thanks again to everybody for the congrats. I'll keep you posted on how everything goes. Big hugs to everyone.

Donna
238/196/170 (post baby)
Old 03-01-2001, 12:25 AM   #60  
Check out my homepage=>

WAHOOO!!!!

I'll post on the weigh-in thread, but I'm too excited to resist putting it here, too - I'm so glad I waited until my OFFICIAL weigh-in day.... now at 120.5!!! That's -2# for the week! Wow.

------------------
-Liz
125/120.5/105

[This message has been edited by MsLiz1956 (edited 02-28-2001).]
Closed Thread