Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 01:58 PM   #106  

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is well. I have a quick question. What is the formula again for how many calories you need to maintain your weight? Thanks! Liz
Old 04-04-2002, 02:05 PM   #107  

Hey everyone, I decided to try to answer some posts this morning, & here it is afternoon already! I'm working a 12 hr shift tomorrow, so thought it best to try to stay caught up or else I'll end up MIA again

YellowRose, Thanks for answering my question as to Debbie's where abouts! Yes, I'm sure it must be nice this time of year. Sounds like you really enjoyed your birthday outing. Sorry I missed your birthday, so Happy Belated Birthday!!!

FROG, Sounds like you have quiet a job going there with the wallpaper. Don't envy you a bit...LOL

fruitloupe, Getting a totally new look & makeover after reaching goal is a great idea. Hey, how far are you from Baton Rouge? I'm about 90 minutes away. It would be great to meet you & SEF there one day for lunch. Think about it!

SEF, See my note to Fruit above? We've talked about this before. Why don't we make it a reality? This time of year would be great!

CountryMom4Him, I remember being at the same point you are now. My goal last May was to be at or below 150 by vacation. I missed it by 1 lb, but it finally came. Hang in there & it will happen for you too! Just checked out your homepage & love it, especially your personal pages!

j red, I can relate with the bouncing back & forth. I've been loosing & gaining the same 3 lbs for over a month now & I'm REALLY getting tired of it!

Bob, Chicken cooking contest??? Sounds great to me. I know how you LOVE chicken

Jack-K, I agree, it's best to hold out for that new clothes till you're where you want to be. I didn't buy too much either till I reached goal, but now that I'm there!

Red1, Hope you have a nice visit with ds & dil. It did not take me long to adjust to our empty nest. I miss the girls at times, but I LOVE my space.

Kimmythekid, Sorry to hear that you have missed the chance to hear Rodger. Personally, I'm not a fan of Survivor but I know a lot of people are. Sounds like a talk that would definitely be of interest, however. Hey, we all need to whine once in a while, just so we can get it out our system

Toni48, 22 degrees??? BRRRRRR is right. Should make for a swift walk!

Quivondra, WW Pita chips & Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus, yum yum! Better than potatoe chips any day!

Tranquil, Girl, this is a great support group & you'll learn all you need to know about this WOE. WELCOME!! So are you having problems with Diabetes now?? I use every chance I get to influence better eating habits to my diabetic patients at the hospital. Although I can't come right out & tell them that they should do SB, I do try to educate them on the high sugar foods, etc & making wise choices in their diet. It has definitely become more than a WOE with me & others here. It's also a way of life!

Meliris Sounds like you NEEDED a break from work...lol Read that you're doing BFL! Sounds like you're doing well with it. I really need to get into some type of exercising cause I have lots of flabby skin & poor muscle tone in lots of places now.

Well, got to go grocery shopping. I need a few things to get ready for our Sunday night fellowship. The theme is International Foods, so I'm planning to do a variety of things, like Tabbouli, hummus, spinach greek pie, all SB legal stuff. Also, my gs is here wanting my space at the computer to play a game, so will check in later. Bye

174/134.5/135

Last edited by Melf; 04-04-2002 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:17 PM   #108  

I got the formula!!

BMR

Multiply your weight in pounds by 4.4

Then Multiply you height in inches by 4.3

Add this number to the previous sum

Then Add 655 to sum above

Finally, multiply 4.7 by your age and subtract this number from the previous sum.

Multiply this number by 1.3

This number is your caloric needs for the day without strenuous excercise.

I have to run...but I can clarify if this is too confusing.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #109  

Thanks Quivondra. I found one that Debbie had given me which was this : Take your body weight and multiply it by 12 then subtract 500 for weight loss. Me at 230 would take in 2363 according to your formula and 2260 according to Debbies. Anyone else have any input on this ? Thanks! Liz
Old 04-04-2002, 02:44 PM   #110  

Ok, I'm so far behind in responding to all the posts, I've just decided to start fresh.

Thanks for all the well wishes and good thoughts for Seth. It was quite a scare for everyone and we're really thankful it turned out the way it did.

The shoulder is doing much better. I start back to physical therapy today. Nothing like paying someone to torture you. It really does help, though.

I'm eating much better again (as I sit here eating my taco salad, no guacamole, no shell, no chips) and drinking my water. Can I come out of dungeon?

Is there anyone here that is in the Norfolk, VA area? My oldest son, the one that wants to join the Marines, has an opportunity to go to a Sea Cadet Amphibious Operations training camp this summer. It's a long way from Texas, but he really wants to go. Oh, Pooch, he got an opportunity to meet the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps last night at a Navy League dinner. I've never seen such primping while he was getting ready.

Frog-I have to ask, you "dreamed you had a colonoscopy"?? I've heard of some weird dreams but that one may take the cake.

BOB-Way to go on the no-smoking anniversary. That's one thing I've never had to go through but from what I understand, it is major accomplishment. Congrats!

Monet-Go for the color, girl, on the walls!

Jack-K- Would you post the jello salad recipe you made? I'm one of those weird throwbacks that just loves those. I hate April Fools jokes, too. By the way, when does Daylight Savings Time start?

Healthygirl-Welcome. This is a great support board. Everyone is very nice and helpful (unlike other boards that will remain nameless).

I know I missed a lot of you. Sorry, I promise I'll do better.

Have a great day.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:47 PM   #111  

Nice Picture.

Try entering your goal weight and then adding on some calories for daily activity and exercise.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:07 PM   #112  

Thanks for the welcomes.

Melf: I don't have diabetes "yet" - it won't be long on the road I am traveling!!! I have some kidney problems, and the doctor thinks that if I don't turn this all around not only will I be seriously suffering from kidney disease, I will have diabetes along with it....
Scary!

Doing really well today! Though I am pretty hungry after having 1/2 a grapefruit for a snack not too long ago - psychological!!! I am a grazer...munch all day long....got to break the habit.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:14 PM   #113  
Child of God

Hi again everyone!!!

Kids are home from school and said they really loved the talk Rodger gave!!! He talked a lot about SURVIVOR...and a lot about his faith in Christ. My DS got his autograph, but my DD did not get it..she was so upset! I told her..."Hey, I have talked about goging to this all year and I didn't get to.......Be thankful you got to go!" She smiled and said you're right! Besides, he is just a regular guy...his autograph...that made me laugh. My DS has met so many famous football players, but he would have never thought of getting their autograph...but RODGER!!!

To those who do not like or watch Survivor....Rodger was a really nice older man who was is a devoted Christian. He lives in Kentucky.....close to Cinci. so when he was on Survivor, they always had him on the local news afterwards. He brought his Bible as his extra item and he said today (to the kids) that while on Survivor, everyone there wanted to read it! That is awesome...God used him in a very different way!

Anyway...I can't wait till tonight!!!

Have a good evening everyone!!!!
Old 04-04-2002, 04:27 PM   #114  

Hi All,

I am a very busy girl today and only have a few minutes to reply. I hope all is going well for everyone.

Jack-K and Toni: Yes, the bread recipe is on the April/May/ June 2002 recipe board. I almost made a mistake and
put it on the March Board and that may be where you are looking. It is right under Trishaloo’s wonderful looking
asparagus dish and Monet’s yummy Jamaican beef patties hope it is easy for you make and you enjoy the bread.

Tranquil: Welcome! I started this way of eating because my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were way too high.
They are under control now and I am just a few pounds from my goal.

Melf: Thanks for the note. My birthday was actually March 25th but I am continuing to celebrate. Why not!

Quivondra: I have never see that way to figure how many calories to maintain your weight. However, I did the
math and it seems very reasonable. I like that height and age is figured in also.

Bye for now.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:23 PM   #115  

Good evening everyone

I've had a busy day, working, shopping and cooking dinner. I thought I could have a leisurely time at the computer but have just offererd my services for babysitting so have to make this brief as I expect my ds and kids any minute.

Adronsgirl - Five pounds in a month is just fine. Slow but sure, as the saying goes. Glad you liked your first water aerobics class and it is good to have a buddy to help you stay motivated. I went to water aerobics a couple of times last year and it was fun. The hour went so quickly. I may try it again one of these days when I have more time. Since I started badminton I don't have time for much else, except work of course.

Toni48- The sugar rule is if there is 3 grams or less of ADDED sugar per serving it is o.k. This doesn't include naturally occurring sugar like you find in fruit or tomatoes or milk products.

Healthygirl - Welcome. Congrats on quitting smoking. That is a major achievement although unfortunately it usually involves weight gain (been there, done that). I hope you have your motivation back to continue on this woe. (I'm still reading posts from two days ago!) It is a very healthy woe and it does work, although some of us will lose more quickly than others. I wish you luck. We are all here for you and if you have any questions just ask. Someone is sure to be able to help you.

Melf - Debbie went away for a week to N/S? Carolina so I just started the boards for her for this week. She will be back on board on Sunday.

Someone was asking about the oatbran pretzels. They are made by Snyders and the ingredients are: organic wheat flour, water, organic oat flour and oat bran, organic agave, salt, yeast, sodium bicarb. They taste really good. You can taste the sweetness from the agave. They are available in some of the PUBLIX stores in the US, although I was unable to find any when I was in Orlando. I was introduced to these by BKM who brought some to the get-together in Orlando. I have since found them in a local store. I am sure someone else can fill you in on where to get them in the US.

Gracious - We have a new Dominion store which has a large health food section and this is where I found the pretzels. I'm not sure if they carry them in any other grocery stores. If I find them anywhere else I will let you know. I'm going to check out Loblaws next time I am there. Zanne said she saw some Snyder's products in the snack aisle in her local Loblaws store.

Sef - WTG on the lost eight pounds - just believe in it. Hope your stomach and headache are better to-day.

I'd better post this before I get interrupted with the kiddos arriving. Will try to get back later.

Marie.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:18 PM   #116  
Undercover Diva

S/C/G: 242/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default HIya :D

OK... I did the math both ways and got almost the same thing!! DEB got that I needed about 1700 calories to lose, and that's around what both of those other ways give me. Either way it's like an act of congress to get all those calories!

I've been doing well Nothing illegal, but it's coming up on the mid cycle time that I usually eat everything legal in the house! This month is no exception... I've triscuited myself into a coma almost.

I'm still trying to find those Snyders Oat Bran Pretzels, are they just the Oat Bran Sticks? Doesn't say pretzel? I looked it up on the website. I gotta visit a different Kroger.

Well, my TJMaxx left MUCH to be desired. I went in and it looked like a blizzard had been through, and I couldn't find a THING I liked My mom said they get new stuff all the time, and that I'll have to go once every 3 weeks or so and just keep looking. The card doesn't expire, I can use it as long as it takes. Anyone have any TJMaxx tips? I may end up getting stuff for my kids and DH there, they have some great stuff for them, just nothing cute for me. I think it's because I'm at that "in between" size. All the cute stuff I like goes up to like a 13 which I can't get in yet... and 1x are too big, and I don't plan to get any bigger!! Maybe I'll use it to buy a pair of goal jeans... a size 10... and hang them in the kitchen..LOL!! I did notice they have jewelry... I had to recite to myself * you need clothes, you need clothes * LOL!

Well hope everyone's week is going ok. The kids are still coughing like crazy here, and they go tomorrow to have a Pertussis test because the youngest has had this spasmodic cough with vomiting for 3 weeks now... it's getting crazy! Now the oldest has developed it... and when I researched Pertussis (Whooping Cough) they FIT THE BILL to a T!! Tomorrow they get the QTip up the nose, to find out for sure Everyone send good thoughts

Bye
Old 04-04-2002, 08:54 PM   #117  
sef

HiedieHo All!!!

I am such a dunce!!!!! My stomach is still hurting today. I went to NH and store but did not go to gym. Why a dunce? You had to ask!!!

Ever since I was in hospital last November I have been on Protonix for my stomach. I had been feeling fine, and last month when I needed a refill and was short on money, I said "Why bother?" I guess it took a while to get out of my system and pain to build up where it really is getting my attention!!

I dropped bottle for refill at drugstore about noon. I did not realize there were no refills left. When I went to pick it up the doctor had not called in yet. If it's not ready in a.m. I will give the doctor a call myself. He is usually pretty good, so may be a reason he hadn't called yet.

I went to Sam's this afternoon and loaded up, had my splint on and had to get help lifting 40# of cat litter. After I checked out I asked for someone to unload cart into car. They had no one!! He had just quit!!! So I had to buggerlug everyhting into the trunk myself, at that time I didn't feel bad about playing hookey from gym!!!! At least DIL was home to unload car.

BTW Sam's here carries Natures Own SFSGWW bread but it it in a two pack.

TRISH - Glad tests okay for Seth. Glad your arm is improving. PT is no fun but worth the effort, I went through it after knee and back surgery.

FRUIT - Go for the makeover, it will be more for you than others. You want to give yourself some added incentive, plus we all like to shock people. What better way to do it!!! Plus, as someone said you may like the long hair. Then that could be your new look.

COUNTRY - Hope your headache is better, at least mine was gone today.

TRANQUIL - Welcome, welcome. You will find so much information here and people who care about each other. Those that aren't caring don't seem to hang around long. Not because we do anything to them, probably because they can't stand all our sweetness and light!! Quite a few of us started this woe because we were scared. I was alarmed by my elevated triglycerides. Both they and cholestrol are great now.

MELF - I'm about two hours from Baton Rouge. I'd love to meet. Let's do it before the real HHH weather starts. Hope Fruit can join us

MONET - Go for color!!! My sitting room is two shades of pink and my bedroom is lilac!!! I once had a royal blue bedroom with white that was really great looking.

LIZ - liked the pic. I can paint my toenails with my boobs!!!! The sands of time are ever going down!!!

Take care all! Shirley
Old 04-04-2002, 09:43 PM   #118  

Thumbs down

Hi
Message from a newbie. I've been on SB for two days now. Feel good and finally motivated. Enjoy reading the posts and looking forward to getting to know everyone.

HealthyGirl
237/237/165
Old 04-04-2002, 10:00 PM   #119  

Beth - The Oatbran Pretzels I am talking about are actually sticks although it doesn't say sticks on the front of the package. In smaller print near the top of the package it does say "Baked All Natural Pretzels". Check out the ingredients on the back of the packge to see if you have the right ones although I think there is only one that has oat bran on the package. I listed all the ingredients in my previous post if you want to check it.

Marie.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:30 PM   #120  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good evening!

Howdy all! Yeah the head feels much better today. Okay everybody raise their hand who stress eats?...man one of those days....I made beans and ate and ate and ate some more.

I hate when I do that. *smile* Beth you had me laughing so hard about your triscuit coma. I sure hope your kids feel better soon. Hope you are feeling better soon Sef.

Can't wait till tomorrow to read some more of your wonderful post. This site is truly a blessing. Night all.

Love,
Crystle
Closed Thread