Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #211  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

allison, I dunno. I have a collection of pin-on buttons with a lot of crazy, silly, and occasionally deep quotes, and the one that's at eye-level with me 8 hours a day at work is one that says "Action: the antidote for despair". Between the stress of the re-siding project, the low light levels of mid-winter Michigan, TOM, the floor cleaning debacle, and just plain knowing that I could feel a whole lot better than I do - it's simply become ridiculous for me to sit on my butt and NOT change any longer.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #212  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
allison, I dunno. I have a collection of pin-on buttons with a lot of crazy, silly, and occasionally deep quotes, and the one that's at eye-level with me 8 hours a day at work is one that says "Action: the antidote for despair". Between the stress of the re-siding project, the low light levels of mid-winter Michigan, TOM, the floor cleaning debacle, and just plain knowing that I could feel a whole lot better than I do - it's simply become ridiculous for me to sit on my butt and NOT change any longer.
Hey wow.
Several years ago I wrote something RockinRobin (wish u well wherever u r!) had as a signature, on a small scrap of paper. Of course, I'm not exactly sure what it said but it was highly motivating. I'll read this one a few more time. I like this.

Go Us (yes, I feel the need for cheerleaders)

edited to add I have We are the Champions playing on my speaker right now

Last edited by kittycat40; 02-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

One of my favorite quotes is one I saw on a post somewhere. I have paraphrased it a little......'

Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
One of my favorite quotes is one I saw on a post somewhere. I have paraphrased it a little......'

Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.
Love this one and

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Started January at 130, ended January at 124. My redline is 125 so I'll take it. I'm concerned about the damage I may do this weekend, but I'll buckle back down after that.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #215  

And I found some pretty incredible abdominal muscles hiding last night before yoga started. I was laying down and I sat partway up (like a situp) and there was this huge lump in my lower abdomen. I almost panicked until I realized it was solid muscle! I'm not sure if it is more pronounced because I'm down a few pounds, or all of the yoga is tightening things up!?! We do a lot of situps in yoga and I've been working on my form. Either way-- I'll take it!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #216  

Michele, a six pound loss in January ! Fantastic, congratulations !
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #217  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

congrats on the abs, Michele! And an outstanding month on the scale!

kitty, good to see you - and it's a great thing that we are our own cheerleading squad here on this thread!

I can't get into the "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." I am a lifetime foodie, and will always be a lifetime foodie. There is nothing I won't try (as long as it isn't artificially colored). I like Wendalyn's position of 80-90% compliance - I just have to follow what works for me most of the time, but by golly, if something delicious and unusual comes along, I'm going to enjoy it 110% as the treat it is. Shucks, I generate enough stress for myself already! I don't want to add food to the mix.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 02-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #218  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.
Thanks, I needed this reminder today. Yesterday was not a good day in dieting world. Went out for lunch and did the responsible thing, got grilled chicken salad and ate only teensy amount of the bread before the meal because I was absolutely starving. There were cupcakes for the birthday girl and I had one. I was still hungry, and frustrated, and they were calling to me (and they weren't that great, but tasted heavenly in my deprived state). Of course that was a bad idea and set me on a sugar frenzy. I ate some strawberries and an extra oz of peanuts and just kept walking the dog longer than I intended after work, bc I knew if I went home I'd eat. The day ended at slightly higher cals than planned (1800) but by no means a terrible day. It's the mentality that frustrates me. I've been starving all week and I hate to be so hungry. But weight loss for me means hunger. This point is where I usually snap and "give up" weight loss efforts until a few months later. I hoped a few extra cals yesterday would help, but no, I started today slightly calmer, but still just hungry and trying to make it to the next planned meal or snack without snapping.

I've been tapped to help out with several events this weekend, and am sort of glad they will keep my busy. I think I will focus on getting extra sleep and getting workouts in early in the day to maximize energy.

January progress
Jan 1 weight: 160#
Jan 31 weight: 153# (Not sure if this is a "real" weight or a slight bobble downward, Feb 1 puts me at 153.5#, might be safer to say I'm definitely at 154#)
Loss was 5# of December vacation + holiday weight, 1-2# of additional weight, total 6-7#s in January. Pants-o-meter also feeling loose. I should add that Christmas weight is probably much easier to lose that "real" weight... KNWIM?

Michele, 6# loss and visible abs is awesome!

Last edited by Megan1982; 02-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #219  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Pizza Wars was terrible, like "we left annoyed after 5 minutes" terrible. No pizza passed my lips. I did overeat at dinner (we went out after pizza fail) but much better than what a pizza hangover feels like (I know that feeling well).

Feb is off to a good start. I pawned off my dinner leftovers on my BF and have chicken and veggies. WI was 123.4 which is perfectly respectable and only 1 lb up from yesterday. Cough is there but I can breathe fine. Couples' weekend in a cabin this weekend - he teaches at International School in Istanbul, she runs a Boys & Girls club in NYC, and I'm excited to get to know them better.

Megan Balancing weight loss with manageable hunger is no easy task. I can't lose weight without being hungry either - and being hungry gets old FAST. 1800 is a fine "cap" and losing Xmas weight is still losing weight!

ICUWishing Meeee tooooooo. I remember "eating" was always on my list when I was a kid playing with friends and we got bored and couldn't decide what to do :P Until I cannot have my deep fried cheeseburgers and eat them too, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing!

michele WOOT abs! That's really great, I have some abs on the upper part but the lower bit is still like someone glued marshmallows to my torso. Congrats on the net loss in January!

kittycat40 Thank you! How were the wings? What kind did you have? Are we "allowed" to talk about food pr0n?

alinell Mmmm garlic burger. I guess I have no limit for burgers - I do that super attractive snake face where I try to get it in there, not always successfully. Fitting in exercise is a good question - I think it's one of those things where you just MAKE room for it. I am lucky if I average 30 minutes 7 days a week!

BillBlueEyes I'm sure every town and city has their own fried concoctions. Pizza Wars was a total wash - Wing Wars and the Mac and Cheese Bowl have so much more promise.

Shannon Very glad to see you're feeling good. Are you going to be Superbowling?

saef Hope you can return to routine soon. Not being able to exercise and being stuck at meetings with NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK is such a stressful feeling.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I almost panicked until I realized it was solid muscle!
That's just so cool! Discoveries like that make my day. I still remember the first time I saw my collarbones again after decades.

Glad that no pizza passed your lips, Krampus, but sorry it was annoying. How did the person with social anxiety do? Have fun this weekend.

Megan, I agree that losing Christmas weight is still losing weight. I still haven't lost mine so I'd be if I had.

When I walked into the weight room at the gym today, there was a 30ish woman with her DH who was spotting her on skull crushers. The weight was 20 lbs. I do 30 lbs. without a spotter and 35 lbs. if I can find someone to spot. Since I'm old enough to be the woman's mother (my kids are in their 40s and 30s--well, the youngest is 29, close enough), I had rather a prideful moment. Thankfully, there was no "fall" after that moment of pride, and I've been managing not to drop plate weights on my toes. Once was enough.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #221  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

He doesn't seem to have any reservations letting loose with those he's comfortable around - he likes me and my boyfriend a lot (I live with his sister) and is comfy with us. He had a blast just hanging out and being social, as did I, was a great evening!

Nice one on the skull crushers. I joined a second gym (YMCA) and in my few visits (5 or 6 times) I have not seen another female in the free weights section at all.

Last edited by krampus; 02-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #222  

Had to get lab work today, as you leave the medical offices a short distance away to your right is IHOP,but if you turn to your left and go a little farther there is a Rite Aid , somehow sanity prevailed and I went to Rite Aid. I did pick up a People magazine as it had a picture of Paula Deen and her two DS, she has lost 40 pounds DS1 has lost 45 pounds, DS#2 has lost 33 pounds and her husband has lost 60 pounds, they all look great.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #223  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

ARGHHH. Weight has been stuck at 122 for over a week, despite keeping calories to 1400 and back to cardio 3 days this last week (and 4 the week before). So what did I do? I was so ticked that "perfect eating" wasn't getting me any closer to goal that I had ~1000 calories of nuts this afternoon, shortly after a nice healthy on-plan lunch. And then refused to go for my planned gym outing. I feel like a petulant 4 year old.

Krampus, what was so terrible about the pizza?

Megan, you say weight loss for you always means hunger. I totally get that, but is it possible for you to use volumetric tricks to help yourself? I'll do things like make low-fat vegetable soup and eat it until I'm too full to put anything else in my mouth, or grill veggies on a Foreman grill by the pound, or make kale chips and nosh away during a movie like it's popcorn. These tricks only work if I alternate them with more caloric options too, but I can usually do a combo that keeps me below 1400/day and still keeps the hunger pangs away (the psychological deprivation, now, that's a different story).

Michele- you crack me up: "this huge lump in my lower abdomen" is not exactly the expression most people use to describe their abs. If I were that kind of girl, I'd joke that when I feel that in my abdomen, it means I need to up my fiber intake for a few days. Oh wait, I guess I AM that kind of girl :>)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #224  

Andrea-- that's usually the case for me too! I was surprised because the abs are hidden under extra skin, stretch marks, and who knows what else. Sorry your weight is stuck! Hopefully you'll see a whoosh soon.

I'm worried about where I will be on Monday. My appetite is back and we are off to Napa for my dh's 50th birthday. We are eating at Bottega tonight. We've never been and we are excited! Lots of other eating planned. Wish me luck.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #225  

Michele, please tell us what you had for dinner tonight. I looked at the menu for Bottega and would have a hard time choosing, not from a diet standpoint but because it all sounds wonderful. I used to watch Michael Chiarello on PBS, I don't watch cooking shows much anymore because it just makes me want to eat.
Closed Thread