Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is a true story that I read on a chiropractor's website.

He had a patient who had come to him with pain in her hands, numbness and tingling. Nothing had helped. Finally she had had a surgical consult, and the surgeon was going to operate on her hands. She went to the chiropractor as a last resort.

He said, "Let's go look at your car." She was puzzled, but they went out to her car, which was an older model. He had her sit in the car and put her hands on the steering wheel.

Then he got a wedge pillow for her to use on the seat of her car. That solved the problem. It turns out that the car seat had become too low in the back, so that when she was sitting in it, her back rounded and she had to lift her chin to see, crimping her neck vertebrae. This put pressure on the nerves to the hands.

Once she was sitting more level by using the wedge, her back and neck could straighten out and her pain disappeared.

Jay
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Haha! My DD convinced my MIL to stop coloring her hair. She NEVER seemed to have the same color! Browns, reds, blonds--every visit came back with a different color! Now she's a light gray in front and practically black in back and it is extremely flattering on her. I have no gray (yet) to cover, it's just that all my life I've been a very light, light blond and suddenly it's getting browner and it looks really mousy. Highlights lighten my hair and my mood considerably.

I have one grapefruit tree that produces hundreds of pink grapefruit. We asked our gardeners to trim it last year and they didn't, so this year we'll be donating a lot to the homeless shelter. I also boxed up 4 boxes of fruit and sent one each to my mom, brother, sister and sister in law. All but my sister-in-law has called or written to express their thanks. Long story, but I doubt I'll get a thank you from SIL. And that's some EXPENSIVE fruit! 9 grapefruit, 4 tangelos and 4 tangerines in a USPS flat rate box. $14.50 per box!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #48  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oh, Allison! We never get thanked for presents to SO's family. I cannot understand it especially as our DB churns out thank-you letters to them religiously.

The fruit sounds gorgeous!

And I've got a wedge in my car seat. Seeing my chiro in a fortnight and doing all the exercises every day.

This afternoon went off the rails with a bowl of muesli (well, one and a half, almost two). It's something to do with how I can't multitask/change direction fast and need punctuation between tasks. I'm working on a glass of water, sitting down, but obviously more work needed.

: all.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-08-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #49  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi chicks. My 40th bday is feb 4. I need to step it up by several notches. My posts have tapered off d/t post new years' spiral and this new phone I am working with.
For the last few days I have been going to a gym on a free pass. It ends on thurs. I have been spinning as that is the only morning class and I need to sweat my bloat off.
I pretty much hate spinning.
Happy monday

Last edited by kittycat40; 01-11-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #50  
in development

Morning, kittycat. I don't post as well when I'm on the BlackBerry. In particular, I find it next to impossible to keep up with other people. What are you using?

You are so virtuous, spinning when you hate it. I'm impressed!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #51  
needs constant reminding

Silver, I just switched from the bberry pearl (condensed keyboard) to the motorola droid, new phone, works thru google.
It had a full keyboard but I am still getting used to it. It is pretty nifty tho.

Thx for the virtuous compliment. I really lovelovelove running but hate the treadmill. This year I have lost the get up and go to get up and go in the freezing dark. last year I slammed that...

I am trying the gym and will consider joining. I'd rather spend nothing and stay outside. But I am not going out! One nice thing about the gym is that they have sculpting classes that I have taken and I like and I also don't do any weight training at home...Tomorrow is sculpt and then wed is either spin or I might try the yoga. 5:45a morning class options are yoga, spin, sculpt dep on day). I'd like to figure out how to get some heavier lifting going on but I guess I'll start at the beginning

Chiro story from NJ---- my son had chronic sinus infections. His adenoids were removed w/o any change in symptoms. The surgeon said he needed a cat scan and likely sinus surgery--- AT AGE 3!! I decided to skip that and took him to a chiropractor. After 3 months of tx he has not has another sinus infection and he is now 8 ... hoping not to jinx him. He has had the bigest cold and serious congestion...I have been draining his sinuses with massage.... no jinx, no jinx, no jinx!!!!

Last edited by kittycat40; 01-11-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #52  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Morning, kittycat. I don't post as well when I'm on the BlackBerry. In particular, I find it next to impossible to keep up with other people. What are you using?

You are so virtuous, spinning when you hate it. I'm impressed!
I've been having trouble posting on my new Dell Mini! I hate the mousepad! My birthday is next week and I think DH will be getting me a mouse. I found myself eating alot of junk this weekend and this morning my uninvited friend TOM came to visit. Tom is now visiting every 3-3 1/2 weeks for 10 days at a time (TMI I know). Yuck!

All is not lost though. I got to ride my new recumbent bike this morning! It's so smooth and quiet. DH & I picked it up this weekend and it is a beast. It took DH, DS14 & I to get it upstairs.

Kittycat, I don't think I could possibly force myself to do an exercise I do not enjoy. Virtuous is right!

Last edited by losermom; 01-11-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #53  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
I've been having trouble posting on my new Dell Mini! I hate the mousepad! My birthday is next week and I think DH will be getting me a mouse. I found myself eating alot of junk this weekend and this morning my uninvited friend TOM came to visit. Tom is now visiting every 3-3 1/2 weeks for 10 days at a time (TMI I know). Yuck!

Kittycat, I don't think I could possibly force myself to do an exercise I do not enjoy. Virtuous is right!
You can pick up a wireless mouse for $14 at target or staples. They are great tools.

my concern on the spin virtuosity is why am I about to spend $ on a membership if I really hate it?

Last edited by kittycat40; 01-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #54  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
You can pick up a wireless mouse for $14 at target or staples. They are great tools.

my concern on the spin virtuosity is why am I about to spend $ on a membership if I really hate it?
I may break down and pick one up before. I thought I might get used to it but it's not happening. I hear you on the gym membership. I do have a membership (here at work) that I use 3-5x a week, but also have had and just bought a new recumbent bike for my 5-6x a week cardio. I use the gym for weight training and water aerobics classes. DH is always asking me to get him a membership which I just did last week and he has yet to go--no surprise there. I think he just wants to run, preferably outdoors, but realizes that it will have to be indoors for now. I have water aerobics class tomorrow night and he'll most likely tag along to run.

Are there other things at the gym that you do like? It sounds like there are other classes that you could take. I think that exercise is more sustainable if you're doing something that you enjoy.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #55  

I just got my DS a Motorola Droid. He loves it, although he'd prefer the iPhone but there's no indication that Verizon will get it soon enough. His old phone was ready for the trash so he decided to give the Droid a try and is very happy with it. I have BBerry Curve--I could never master the condensed keyboard with the Pearl--my DD had that for a couple of years and now has the Storm.

Losermom--my problem with the mini keyboards on my Acer netbook is there is one key that moves the cursor around and I never realize I've hit it and when I look up, my sentence is all jumbled up! If only there were a way to disable that key!

I'm going to get my new computer next month, or March at the latest. I'm getting a MacBook Pro with a cinema screen for desktop use.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #56  
in development

KC - I don't go to any classes at my gymn. I do weights, various cardios (intervals or even HIIT when the body will take it) and luxuriate in the space to stretch/yoga on the floor.

And my own time.

Oh, yes, and information collected! It's a gymn in a small town serving a big rural area.

£££ or $$$ - it's got to make sense though.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-11-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #57  
No description available.

Hi guys,
Maybe we could change the name of the thread to take 10-15?

I am heading in the WRONG direction here.

It's 100% due to food choices.

I control what I put in my mouth.

Back to basics!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #58  

I'm with you midwife! Those DOFP (was that what we called it?) hit really late and added 6 to me! Yikes!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #59  
Workin' It

And again I slip back into this thread....

My average weight is up another pound again this month. It held at 123.5ish for July, August & September. Then, starting in October it has gone up 1 pound every month. My running average for January is 127.1. I know that a lot of that is due to bad food choices and water weight, but in looking my lowest weight every month has also gone up. I haven't dropped to below 124.6 since the 11th of November. I need to get my baseline down a little before I'll be comfortable again.

So, here is the question I'm asking myself. Any insight you guys might have would be appreciated. I'm eating too much sometimes, I know that. And, it isn't good food I'm eating extra for the most part. I'm holding some serious water weight some days which throws my averages off. That being said, I'm not eating excessively too much over the long run. I only went over my maintenance calories for the week by greater than 3500 cals 2 weeks out of the last two months, and in both of those weeks my HRM showed in excess of 4000 cals burned from long runs. My over weeks have been in the 1000 cal range, and I haven't been over every week. I have been exercising like crazy - my HRM shows anywhere from 2500-4500 cals burned depending on the week. There hasn't been a single week where I didn't burn at least 2500 cals according to the HRM since September. Why do I keep gaining weight? I've been running a lot more in the last six weeks, is that it?

I'm going to pull together my TDP to accurately show my exercise calories for December and January, I slacked and didn't put the info in like I should have. When I get everything together I'll know better what is going on...

I need to go back to basics like Midwife.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #60  

Ode to January

‘Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.

The cookies I’d nibbled, the eggnog I’d taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber)

I’d remember the marvelous meals I’d prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared.

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I’d never said, “No thank you, please.”

As I dressed myself in my husband’s old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt –

I said to myself, as only I can
“You can’t spend a winter disguised as a man!”

So – away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
‘Til all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won’t have a cookie – not even a lick.
I’ll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won’t have hot biscuits, or corn bread or pie,
I’ll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I’m hungry, I’m lonesome, and life is a bore
But isn’t that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot
Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet!!
Closed Thread