Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #76  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Carol - I hope you are feeling lots better soon!
I am more than somewhat of a rarity; I am a weirdo! I usually also don't enjoy most vacations! I am toying with the idea of taking a vacation to a retreat center where people go to classes and yoga and they fast (well they eat exclusively a liquid - herbal/juice stuff I presume - diet all week.) Hey, it sounds more suitable to my weirdness than the more typical vacation things I have tried in the past!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #77  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Carol - hope you're feeling much better by now. Good to see you Obi & jo. I like the idea of a retreat. I have friends that go to them quite often. Most of them don't make you fast, but most do have only veggie food. A lot of them are silent too. Don't know if I could stop flapping my yap for a week, with people around. Even at home alone, I'm talking all the time. I am reading "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies" (written by the same 2 women who wrote 'Overcoming Overeating"). It's pretty good. I've been at it several weeks now, and honestly think I starting to see a difference in the way I'm thinking and talking about myself. That's the thing that distresses me more than my weight - the way I talk trash about myself. On a scale of 1-10, my self-self esteem has never been more than -99. As I get older, things like that are becoming more important to me than how much I weigh and how I look. Yikes - I'm philosophical this a.m. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend doing just what you want to do.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #78  

Hi Jerrie and Jo, Finally back from the boonies and pretty sure my trouble was dehydration. I didn't use the bathroom that night for about 9 hr. and I haven't done that in years and years. I was ok the next day, thank the Lord. Vacations are the pits for eating. Snack food everywhere in the RV. I don't think I was hungry all week. But I did have the best veggie gyros twice at a Greek place. Now I have to learn how to make them. ha! My big trouble was little exercise although yesterday we did walk 4 mi. We were on a bus trip and a dinner cruise that I was not really impressed with. You were supposed to see lots of wildlife but we didn't see much. But the last few days have been really beautiful and it's nice just to enjoy the scenery. I'll be glad to get home to my own bed, though and my eliptical. I haven't done very well staying out of the sun. I know what you mean about talking down to yourself. I'm like that, too. Ah well. Have a great weekend all.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #79  
meggy

S/C/G: 260/240/175

Height: 5'4''

Hi group!

I'm joining you...if I can! I posted my comment on the intuitive eating number 4 to introduce myself and to answer "Meg on a Mission" about books on intuitive eating and the ways to recognize our hunger. Thanks Spinymouse for orienting me here! I took the initiative to post my message again so I can reintroduce myself.

I'm a 37 yr old single woman from montreal, no kids, never been maried. I speak english but my native tongue is french so forgive me if I make a mistake once in a while!

I've just discovered this thread and I love it! I've known this approach for many years but was always looking for something else... a diet who would help me shed the pounds faster! After all this effort, all those years of searching, I realise I knew what to do all along! I've just started using this approach but I know it's the thing for me. I feel liberated from the obsession of food, the counting, the search for a quick fix! This is long term for me!

Meg, I don't know if anyone has suggested this author already...Geneen Roth. She's been writing books for 15 yrs on the subject of eating until satisfied. She talks about her obsession with foods and diets and her recovery. She discusses the ways to recognize real hunger and the emotion underneath our need to eat. She's just amazing!

Good luck everyone on this great journey!
meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #80  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Obsession--how did you escape it?

Hello Everyone! You all have the right idea. Intuitive Eating--what a simple concept. On Thursday, I ate a bit much. I felt guilty, as I had been doing fine and I "ruined it." The next thing I know, I'm at the grocery store, buying some low-carb staples. I'M VEGETARIAN. So there I was with a basket full of eggs, peanuts, tofu, cheese, some broccoli and green beans. I spent the weekend with my girlfriend, so this was something I'd start Monday (today). After some eggs and cheese for breakfast, nuts and a protein shake for lunch, and a lot of tofu/green beans for dinner, I found myself staring at a bag of peanut butter-filled pretzels from Trader Joe's. Four servings later, I decided that a "diet" that won't allow me to have a handful of pretzels is not for me. Oh, how foolish we can be sometimes when we get caught in those moments. I'm really going to try to focus on the whole concept of intuitive eating. I mean, that IS what I did all weekend long. I've been between 155-165 for as long as I can remember. I'm right around 160 now. I'm 5'5" and muscular and while I realize that's not TERRIBLE, I know I could afford to lose some weight. Right now I'm freaking out slightly because I have a half-marathon in a month (august 19th--san diego half-marathon) and I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds before then. I have a decent base as far as mileage and I did run 6 miles on Saturday. I just feel like I have much more work to do to prepare. I have an 8-miler scheduled for next Saturday, followed by a 10 each of the following two weeks, THEN 13.1 at the race. For those of you who run, you know that the less fat you have to haul around, the easier it becomes. "Diets" don't work for me. I definitely believe THIS is the way. My question is for those of you who follow the Intuitive Eating approach to weight loss/health, HOW do you get over the obsession? I've been an obsessive calorie-counter off and on since I was 15. I'm 24 now. Even if I'm NOT counting calories as a way of "dieting," I ALWAYS make a mental note. I know calories of everything I eat and I can't get over that. What's the secret? Oh, and I count servings, too. For instance, if I grab a handful of pretzels and 11 is the serving size and I only grab 8. I'll eat 3 more just to make it an even serving. I am so brainwashed. Anyone have inspiring stories to share or suggestions? I'm sorry to have rambled on and on, but I really just want to be over it. Thanks in advance.
~33
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #81  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Pals and Welcome, 33zen-
I looked up Geneen Roth and read an interview with her. Like everything else I've read that is IE oriented, one of the primary concepts is to stop the negative self-talk. I guess that kind of negative self-talk may work for some people but I look at myself and ask, "what good has it done for me?" and the answer is ZERO. It doesn't motivate me when others criticise me and it doesn't motivate me when I criticise myself. So, Jerie -no more of that trash talk!
On that note, 33, I don't think there is any need to be critical of yourself for counting calories. I know you want to stop being obsessive about it, but it can't be helpful to beat yourself for it. I don't think it's a bad thing; although it is not a necessary part of IE sometimes it's helpful, certainly not harmful to know that nutritional info.
But here I am not practicing what I preach after telling myself what a dolt I am for forgetting to pay my car insurance bill. Which will probably not be motivating in any way for future bills but I hit myself with the imaginary frying pan nevertheless.
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #82  

Hi everyone! Good to see all the posts. Here is a little info from a newsletter I get called Beyond Chocolate.

Don't count on it: why calorie counting doesn't work
by Surinder Phull, Head Nutritionist at Eatwell.co.uk

One of my aims as a nutritional therapist is to encourage clients to shift their focus away from weight loss and start to concentrate on good health and enjoyment of food. Yet I am often met with an enormous obstacle; obsession with 'The Calorie'.

When I suggest that a veteran dieter might try butter, Brazil nuts, olive oil, or cashew nut butter (absolutely delicious if you have never tried it!) or even avocados I can almost see the red alert signals flashing on their in-built calorie counter. I try and assure the sceptics that (although calorific) these foods may actually improve metabolism and help long term weight management but all too often the calorie mentality kicks in. Too many calories are bad. Low calorie is good. Simple.

The problem is that our bodies are not simple. The way we deal with foods is complex and calories are just a crude indication of the effect food may have. Granted, if you were to severely restrict your calorie intake you would probably lose weight but that is tantamount to starvation and you don't need to do any clever calorific sums to work that out. Other than that calorie counting is essentially flawed and here are a few reasons why:

A calorie is a unit of heat. Calorie content of food is calculated by the heat it generates in a device called a calorimeter. Well there's the obvious flaw. Our bodies are not calorimeters. The way we digest food particular foods varies enormously between individuals and depends on the quality and type of food we eat not just its calorie content.

The second flaw is that not every unit of food we eat is used for energy. For example certain foods used for repair of muscles, building hair nails or skin. Certain fats in particular are needed to produce hormones that regulate our blood sugar and metabolism and help maintain a regular weight. How much an individual needs to meet these requirements is impossible to measure in numbers.

So when I encourage individuals to focus on their needs, their bodies are supplied with the foods that make them healthier, happier and (if they need to) gradually lose weight. Science aside, experience has shown that me this really works. So if you are a serial calorie counter it is time to stop punishing your body with deprivation and gruelling mental arithmetic and start nourishing your body with the delicious foods it is crying out for.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #83  
meggy

Hi group!

I was wondering how much everybody has lost so far with the intuitive eating. I don't want to make weight loss my primary goal (having no more binges is way better!) but I'm still interested in losing weight (I need to lose a 100 pounds!). I think it would be encouraging to hear your stories!

Spinymouse: I'm glad you checked out this author and seemed to like it!

Have a good night!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #84  
Half-marathoner.

Default thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for welcoming me and sharing the articles/info. I went to the store today and picked up some healthy food: Special K, Cheerios, Total Raisin Bran, soy milk, veggie burgers, and "double the fiber" whole wheat bread. With the addition of some veggies, fruit, and the rice and tofu that I already had, I'd say I'm ready! If it's possible, I think I fall somewhere between Intuitive Eating and Calorie Counting. I know that counting calories may defeat the purpose of IE, but I have to find a balance and I think this will work. Besides, my calorie counting is just a mental note anyway. So, in preparing for my race, I'll probably be eating cereal and fruit for breakfast, a veggie burger/veggies for lunch, and stirfry (tofu, rice, veggies) for dinner, or another veggie burger. I'm cutting coffee/alcohol for the next 4 weeks (getting serious here, however, the alcohol is much less of a problem than the caffeine since I rarely drink alcohol). I'm just feeling extremely motivated today so hopefully it will pay off by the time the race gets here. I know there are only a couple of "regulars" posting from what I can tell, but I definitely wouldn't mind stopping in frequently.

By the way, I didn't really tell you much about myself, so I'll cover the basics so you can get to know me if you want! 24 y/o female, recently moved from Columbus, OH, to Phoenix, AZ, where I'm stationed in the Air Force, working as an information manager (dealing with computer issues, network/email problems, troubleshooting). I enjoy certain things about Phoenix, but it's HOT here. I don't miss the snow by any means, but I guess I wouldn't mind a happy medium. I'll be here 3 years for work, but then I'm getting the **** out. Anyone ever been to Seattle? I've heard it's great. Anyway, I'm a self-diagnosed compulsive-eater. I'm never very consistent and it hits me at random times. Lately, however, it hit me because I'm unhappy with my current job situation (I pretty much hate the military life). It's not for me, as I'm too outspoken. Getting out is too much work so I'm just counting down the months, then years (reserves). I am in a new relationship with an amazing woman who makes me very happy. That makes being owned by the government less painful. Of course, that must remain a secret, too. Apparently, I can go to the big sandbox and risk my life over bull$h#!, BUT I can't love someone for her heart and mind. Okay, I'm rambling but it IS important because it's a reason I'm depressed and has caused some of my emotional eating problems as of late. I ENJOY being me and accepted for who I am, not what I'm expected to be. MAYBE, just maybe they'll come around. I stated in a previous post that I'm weighing in lately at about 160. My highest was about 175 @ 5'5". My goal is 140 and I'll see where that takes me. I'm not focused on number weight so much as how I feel/look, how well I fit into my clothes, and improving my running/run times. My MAIN goal is to feel better physically and just to feel better about myself.

Thanks for listening. I'd love to know more about all of you.

~33
Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #85  

Meg, I've lost about 10lb and kept it off this year. Not great but better than nothing. Had a bad night last night with company over late. I made a danish that I had purchased form a school fundraiser and it was delicious. It's gone today, thank the Lord. Hope today goes better. It is so hot and I haven't been feeling too well since returning from AK. Not enough sleep lately. Summer is always so busy. On a better note, the garden is doing good and the tomatoes should be red soon. Love those tomatoes.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #86  
meggy

Hi Carol! I hope you'll be feeling better!

Thanks for answering and congratulations on your weight loss! I'm always telling myself: next year, your weight will be higher or lower, which one will it be?

It's also harder for me when I eat out with friends...I'm having fun, I'm laughing and I'm not necessarily having my objectif in mind. It's a work in progress!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #87  

Hi Meg. Yesterday was much better. I think I was just over tired from vacation. ha! The eating went well yesterday, too, except I was hungry right before bed and had a little snack. I like IE because you don't always have to think all the time about what you eat. That's the way it was when I was younger and thin....115lb and 5 ft 4 in. I don't think I'll ever see that weight again. I'd be really happy with a 30lb loss. I really spent some time in the garden last night. Even though someone else is caring for things when you're gone they just don't do it like you would. I told my son to pick the snow peas but he was too busy so now they're over done. No more going away for 2 weeks in the summer!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #88  
having Senior Moments

Hi all. Sorry to be mia for so long. Welcome Meg and 33. 33 - are you stationed at Luke?? What - you don't just LOVE arizona summers? The next couple of months will be even worse - monsoon adds the dreaded humidity to the already stiffling heat. You're in for a treat.

Since I have been doing the body work in the book I mentioned before (when women stop hating their bodies) I've been doing a lot better with the eating. (And I have almost completely stopped the negative self-talk Jo) But doing a lot more crying. It's amazing that since I've stopped tranquilizing myself with food, so much emotional stuff has been coming up. I'm trying to let myself get thru it, think about it, write about it, etc. and hopefully I will have less reasons to numb myself with food.

Meg - I have no idea about weight loss. I am so committed to not EVER dieting again that I got rid of the scales. I am, however, noticing a little difference in my clothes - not quite so tight.

I love Geneen Roth's books too. I especially liked "when food is love". I am a diabetic, so I can't eat EVERYTHING I want, and she dealt with that a lot in that book. I still have to count carbs, to calculate insulin, but I don't look at fat grams or calories when I'm looking at carbs & fiber. Talk about tunnel vision.

Carol - I'll bet you're glad to be home. I always think it's nice to go away, but just as nice to get home. Hope you get to feeling better soon. It may just be climate change and needing to catch up on sleep (those 20 hour days, you know).

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited by soiley; 07-27-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #89  
Half-marathoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soiley View Post
Hi all. Sorry to be mia for so long. Welcome Meg and 33. 33 - are you stationed at Luke?? What - you don't just LOVE arizona summers? The next couple of months will be even worse - monsoon adds the dreaded humidity to the already stiffling heat. You're in for a treat.
Luke. Yeah. There's not much to do around here, so I find myself driving to Phx a lot. It's not THAT far of a drive, I guess. It's HOT here. I'm not used to it, but I'll take it over snow/cold anyday.

So, it took a couple days to get into the swing of it, but I think I'm getting a feel for what Intuitive Eating is all about. I found the key was to get and KEEP certain trigger foods out of the kitchen. Also, I know that I don't have to eat "perfectly" ALL the time. It's the majority that counts.

How long did it take everyone to get it down?

I'm SO glad the weekend's here. I'm nervous about my training run tomorrow--8 miles! I might be sore, but I think I'll be fine. For me, 7-8 miles is when I really start to feel the pain. Anyway, I'll probably be gone the whole weekend but I'm sure I'll be complaining when I return.

Hope everyone's doing well. Not many people here, eh? Enjoy the weekend.

~33
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #90  
having Senior Moments

33 - I think just about everyone here has their own personal view of what IE is for them. For me, I follow the "Overcoming Overeating" program which legalizes all food (no "good" or "bad" just food), learning to love your body no matter what size it is, paying attention to eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied, and vowing never to diet again. I have been trying to get that done for more than 15yrs, but I never got to the point where I was really serious about actually doing all that stuff until this year. I am in my 60's and have been on (and off) diets since I was 9 years old. I've lost hundreds of pounds and always put them back on. I've finally had enough of being obsessed with food. I'm serious about it and I think that's why it's working for me now. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I hear you on the snow/cold thing. I'd rather have 3 mos of 110 plus temps than even 1 snowflake. That's why I live here. You need to get over to the east valley - esp. tempe. That's where it all happens. (can you tell that's where I live??) Good luck on your run.