Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #361  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

ommamma and Adventurgurl and sarajoyus:

I had the same concerns when I first started this diet. I had only eaten "whole" food, nothing packaged, certainly no sugars, no sodas, no sweets. I did that for years and still gained weight steadily even though I was eating healthy. I came to the same conclusion: This is temporary. Once I get the fat off, I know I can go back to the whole food way of eating that I feel more comfortable with...BUT...I will also be armed with the knowledge of fat/carb separation that I didn't have before which led me down the "fat" path. After all the reading I have done on this forum, I see plenty of maintainers who eat mostly whole foods and have done just fine. I know I can do it too.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #362  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
ommamma and Adventurgurl and sarajoyus:

I had the same concerns when I first started this diet. I had only eaten "whole" food, nothing packaged, certainly no sugars, no sodas, no sweets. I did that for years and still gained weight steadily even though I was eating healthy. I came to the same conclusion: This is temporary. Once I get the fat off, I know I can go back to the whole food way of eating that I feel more comfortable with...BUT...I will also be armed with the knowledge of fat/carb separation that I didn't have before which led me down the "fat" path. After all the reading I have done on this forum, I see plenty of maintainers who eat mostly whole foods and have done just fine. I know I can do it too.
Thanks catlady, it's not that I don't want to eat the IP foods, I loved it and it was very easy, and like you figured that it was temporary, but I am allergic to most of them.

I can't eat gluten due to being celiac (that cuts out many of the non-sweet foods) and after 1 week or so, the sucralose was killing me - it made my blood sugar drop which resulted in me being VERY hungry, it made my rosacea flare up, and I got big and painful kitty boils on my face and scalp. All of that went away when I stopped the sucralose.

I can happily eat the chicken soup but don't like the egg dishes and I reacted terribly to the cheddar crisps so all that's left is the sweet stuff with sucralose which I had to stop. I don't know if you saw it but my first week, doing the IP foods, I only lost 2.5 lbs and the second week, doing way less IP foods, I lost 5lbs as I wasn't as swollen from all the preservatives.

I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 08-27-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #363  

S/C/G: 228/198/165

Height: 5'11"

Andventuregurl, it kinda sounds like you might be one of those rare people for whom IP really won't work Since your reactions are so severe, maybe you would be better off with something like a paleo approach? (very low carb still, but higher in overall calories and fat, and usually a bit less protein) Wish I could help more...sorry that you've been having so much trouble.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #364  

Just a heads up to everybody. I went to a store yesterday in MA and they had a ton of products which seem comparable to IP. They carry many lines including Balanced Protein Diet, Proti Diet and Healthy Diet. They have specials right now where you purchase 6 boxes (or 7 boxes depending which line) of their products, you get one free. The price of each box for the most part is either 11.95 or 12.95. Assuming worst case (purchasing 7 boxes @ 12.95 in order to get the free box), thats 56 packages for $90.65 ($1.62 per meal).

The site is www.BalancedProtein.com. They have free shipping for orders over 50. I checked out the site, and it does not say anything about the special so you may have to call.

I am new to IP and do not know nearly as much as most if not all on this site. Can someone check out the above site and the lines to see how they compare with IP. THANKS!!!!

Last edited by GeorgeR; 08-28-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #365  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I was just reading on a IP site that said Barbq crisps are restriced. Is this true? Thanks!
The crisps are unrestricted, the ridges are restricted. If you look at the nutrition info on the box and follow the guide at the start of this thread you can see they are fine. 130 calories, 6 net carbs. Less than 30% calories from fat. I have a shake, BBQ crisps and a wafer almost everyday.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #366  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

adventuregirl: I must have missed your earlier post about your allergies and reactions to IP foods. So sorry you're having problems with the diet. I would suggest a paleo approach as well. It's an extremely clean way of eating. Nothing processed or artificial &no grains. Start reading at Mark's Daily Apple and check out his book,The Primal Blueprint, from the library. I followed the paleo diet for over a year and while I felt great, I didn't loose any weight. But there are lot's of people who have. It just doesn't sound like IP will work for you if you are having this much trouble.

No one can live on chicken soup for months at a time.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #367  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuregurl View Post
Thanks catlady, it's not that I don't want to eat the IP foods, I loved it and it was very easy, and like you figured that it was temporary, but I am allergic to most of them.

I can't eat gluten due to being celiac (that cuts out many of the non-sweet foods) and after 1 week or so, the sucralose was killing me - it made my blood sugar drop which resulted in me being VERY hungry, it made my rosacea flare up, and I got big and painful kitty boils on my face and scalp. All of that went away when I stopped the sucralose.

I can happily eat the chicken soup but don't like the egg dishes and I reacted terribly to the cheddar crisps so all that's left is the sweet stuff with sucralose which I had to stop. I don't know if you saw it but my first week, doing the IP foods, I only lost 2.5 lbs and the second week, doing way less IP foods, I lost 5lbs as I wasn't as swollen from all the preservatives.

I just don't know what to do.
Don't forget the IP potato purée! It is my go-to for making "bread". I love my veggie sandwiches in my potato purée bread. No sweeteners/gluten/soy protein.

Since you react so much to IP products, have you thought about South Beach? It is real food (as long as you stay away from buying fat-free items). Or even Atkins worked well for me 12 years ago. I just never learned to maintain

Conversely, quest bars have stevia-sweetened bars and unrestricted chips. All gluten/soy protein-free. Syntrax nectar makes a "naturals" line sweetened with stevia.

There ARE alternatives if you want to stick with the IP plan, otherwise, I'd suggest exploring South Beach for more "real food". (Not their products, only the diet plan).
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #368  

Thanks Lisa, how do you make bread from a potato packet? My coach told me he didn't like them.

I do eat Quest bars but we won't get the chips in Canada until some time in 2015 according to Quest. I did try the Simply Protein chips but I do think they make me more hungry.

I can't eat a Quest bar and Quest chips in one day can I?

I will be in AZ after the beginning of Nov. for the winter so can get some of the chips then.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #369  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Thanks Lisa, how do you make bread from a potato packet? My coach told me he didn't like them.

I do eat Quest bars but we won't get the chips in Canada until some time in 2015 according to Quest. I did try the Simply Protein chips but I do think they make me more hungry.

I will be in AZ after the beginning of Nov. for the winter so can get some of the chips then.
Quest chips are unrestricted and some quest bars are borderline, but most are restricted. Low carb grocery in toronto thought they would have the chips in the Fall but sounds like you have asked quest directly. I'm disappointed to have to wait until 2015

Are quest chips in stores in US yet? I'm going to Detroit in October. Where can I but simply chips either in Canada or US? I've only seen it by the case online.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #370  

Quote:

Go to the first post of the daily chat.
Click IP recipes #4
Zucchini/potato packet rolls/bread recipe is in there

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #371  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Lisa discusses muffins and bread recipes in this post:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4815317-post89.html
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #372  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Just a heads up to everybody. I went to a store yesterday in MA and they had a ton of products which seem comparable to IP. They carry many lines including Balanced Protein Diet, Proti Diet and Healthy Diet. They have specials right now where you purchase 6 boxes (or 7 boxes depending which line) of their products, you get one free. The price of each box for the most part is either 11.95 or 12.95. Assuming worst case (purchasing 7 boxes @ 12.95 in order to get the free box), thats 56 packages for $90.65 ($1.62 per meal).

The site is www.BalancedProtein.com. They have free shipping for orders over 50. I checked out the site, and it does not say anything about the special so you may have to call.

I am new to IP and do not know nearly as much as most if not all on this site. Can someone check out the above site and the lines to see how they compare with IP. THANKS!!!!
Faunce Corner Nutrition is my go-to place (that is the brick-and-mortar store for Balancedprotein.com) I lived in New Bedford before, and John and the folks there are awesome. The products are in line with IP (I did 6 of my 8 months on my first time doing P1 with their products) but you DO still have to read labels to make proper restricted/unrestricted choices. And there are some products (mostly the ready-to-eat meals) that are just too high in calories/carbs to fit the IP guidelines. If you have any questions about them feel free to message me!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #373  

Smile Can you email me also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Caroling.. If you message me your email, I will send you an extensive list of what I order and enjoy from Nashua. It has notes and comments, restricted or not, and also a few things I use that I get at local stores.
I would love the list as well if you dont mind. I will be starting on the Alt. products soon myself. As soon as I learn more about it! This would help me out a lot!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewme42 View Post
I would love the list as well if you dont mind. I will be starting on the Alt. products soon myself. As soon as I learn more about it! This would help me out a lot!
Just email me your email... Jlus at aol.com
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #375  
started IP 6/21/14

S/C/G: SCG: 156/125/125

Here are my reviews of some alternate products I've tried. I've been on alts for a month now and my weight is still going down. Love paying only $30 (or less!) a week now!

- Quest chips, sour cream & cheddar - Love these. They remind me of baked lays - very light and crispy with just enough flavor.
- Quest chips, sea salt - These are OK. Kind of bland. But my mother had some and liked them better than the sour cream & cheddar. I'm going to see if they'll work for breading chicken.
- Quest chips, BBQ - I didn't personally try these because I'm allergic to the flavoring, but I bought them for the girls I work with and their review is that they are OK, a little "tomato-y" tasting, and nowhere near as good as the IP crisps.
- Quest bar, Banana Nut Muffin - I only got halfway through before I started gagging. I had a problem with the flavor and the consistency.
- Proti Diet Beef Soup - Really liked this when I started making it with 6 oz of water instead of 7, tasted much more savory and reminded me of beef ramen a bit (which I haven't had in YEARS).
- Proti Diet Chicken Noodle Soup - I also really liked this soup, better than the IP version. It tasted similar to Mrs. Grass Noodle Soup which is a comfort food of mine. I felt like it had much more flavor than the IP version for some reason.
- Proti Diet Peanut Surprise Bar - LOVE! It's identical to the IP version but I swear it tastes better.
- Proti Diet Peanut & Caramel Crisp Bar - This is really delicious, and it's unrestricted. It has a huge amount of dietary fiber in it, too. It's been a great option to keep in my purse if I'm out running around.
- Proti Diet Dream Bar - I know these are Super Restricted, but I was having a candy craving and planned on having these as a treat once a week. They were so gross they completely killed any and all candy cravings. They tasted like stale Easter candy. Yuck. I gave them to my friend's husband (they're on IP) because I know some guys will eat anything, and it's not my husband's kind of snack. My friend's husband thought they were yummy - so to each his own!
- BariWise Strawberry Banana Smoothie - Not a fan of these, but I'm not a shake fan in general. It got really thick and kind of gummy with chunks. I may use the rest of them in my nutribullet blended with some spinach for future snacks.
- Pure Protein Peanut Butter Bar - Love this bar, it's got a nice, thick consistency and great flavor. The 20g of protein really helps me feel full all morning (I eat bars for breakfast).
- Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe Bar - These are really yummy too, they taste like a brownie. And they're also very filling - I went outlet shopping with my Mum today and was nice and full even though we did a ton of walking AND had a later lunch.
- South Beach Diet Chocolate Chunk Meal Bar - These are just OK, they have kind of a granular consistency, and they aren't very flavorful - but they were on sale at Walmart so I thought I'd give them a go.

Hope this helps someone! I just got some Quest pasta I haven't tried yet, and a couple freebies from NH orders I haven't tried yet, either. Wanted to look the stats up first to make sure they're IP friendly.

Last edited by darthkitten; 08-29-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Closed Thread