Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 4 - Page 32 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #466  

You people are amazing! Thanks for taking the time out to help others. After a very short time on IP, I am going to go 100% alternative. Big savings and I do not have to deal with my coach (no help, just an order taker, and cancels appointments).
Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #467  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
JLUS......are these called "HealthSMART protein chips" you're talking about? I think I used to purchase them.....AND LOVED THEM!!

I'll be purchasing more! . Just a question tho......is there a rule of thumb on grams of sugar? I know this qualifies as a restricted, just curious about the 5 grams sugar.

Thx!!
No - the amount of sugar is accounted for in the carb count so you don't have to track actual grams of sugar.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #468  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1015 View Post
For the recipes, I was originally thinking we could do something like the south beach board which makes it easier to look for a recipe that you need

(edit: I tried to link to the page but 3FC blocked it. I guess I need to re-read those rules ;p)
There was one of the South Beach sites that apparently spams if you post the link so 3fc blocks it ... I remember one of the admins saying something about it years ago.

I don't remember the name of a South Beach site I used to be part of but the best part of it was they had a recipe WIKI, which was great. If you look at the South Beach forum here at 3fc, their recipe section is pretty well organized just by having a sub-forum. IP doesn't even have its own forum yet (which I have wondered about for years - it is one of the most active groups here, while the Sonoma Diet, with its own forum, barely has anyone checking in). If IP ever gets their own forum, maybe then there will be a recipe sub-forum that will help people find individual recipes by thread title rather than having to scroll through pages of a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBee_ View Post
Well, I was thinking of a x/5 rating and then space to put a few brief comments (I.e. Cardboardy, too powdery, etc).

I agree that everyone's tastes vary but it's no different than reviews elsewhere (restaurants, clothes etc). It's not a guarantee that you'll like it or not, but it can help identity the stinkers and the potentially really great ones. I.E. I was going to buy a box of Quest lemon bars (love citrus) but after reading so many people with negative thoughts on them, I only ordered a couple to try. Maybe I'll love them, or maybe I just saved some money. I was also thinking since it'd be by user, people might find their tastes are similar to so and so and lean towards trying products that person has rates highly.

Aside from the rating, I think it would just be nice to have it better organized than pages and pages of comments. Is like to do something similar with the recipes (Tumblr maybe?) but that's a much bigger project.
I agree! The ratings and comments are so useful, even if everyone has different tastes (for example, I tried the cheesecake pudding that most people love here and i hated it, also there were some much-loved cheese crisps that I also thought were horrible - but in my reviews that I keep for myself I wrote why - both tasted too "milky" to me).

There are SO MANY products, so if they were organized by brand name, this would be quite useful, even just to see all the stats in one place and whether something is restricted or not. I am SO TIRED of clicking on Nashua's site to constantly look up stats. I guess once you have been doing this for a while, it becomes second nature but it is a lot of work in the beginning.

I have my own review notes, organized by brand name, and it is 13 pages long now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAvery View Post
Also looking into Kays Naturals products as restricteds. They use pea protein instead of soy or whey. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with either product or the protein?
I have only tried one thing - the BBQ snack mix that was a free sample with Nashua. It was without a doubt the worst thing I have tried in this realm! My husband actually had to stop the car to spit it out and I couldn't finish the bag (never happened before). But I don't remember exactly why it was so bad ... I really WANT to like Kay's so I might try other individual bags of things if people here really say they are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Good to know! I have seen the commercial for it a few times, I never know how well they are really made (I hate spending money on stuff that falls apart!) and my julienne peeler from BB&B is nearly indestructible. I will have to check it out especially if it wastes less of the veg!
Yeah, with my julienne peeler I lose the whole seedy core. With the pencil-sharpener method, it just blasts right through and I'm not really sure how, but that section works when integrated into one long noodle. I was quite surprised that I liked it (my husband picked it up and I was planning to return it...).
Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #469  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
You people are amazing! Thanks for taking the time out to help others. After a very short time on IP, I am going to go 100% alternative. Big savings and I do not have to deal with my coach (no help, just an order taker, and cancels appointments).
And thanks to you I found out about Stur (apparently I have been living under a rock, according to the media reports on their website )

Somewhat unrelated, I saw this article on their website

115 Other Names for Sugar You'll Find on Ingredient Lists

Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #470  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
No - the amount of sugar is accounted for in the carb count so you don't have to track actual grams of sugar.
TY!!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #471  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

SkyeAvery. I haven't had a problem with the honey at all. The carb count is still acceptable and I'm not particularly carb sensitive. But just as aspertame isn't ok since it can spike blood sugar, natural sweeteners are absorbed faster and can have a similar result in some people.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #472  

S/C/G: 168/148.4/148

Height: 5'9"

Kay's Naturals Chili Nacho protein chip review - I decided to take the plunge & buy an assortment of what was available locally...these, the cinnamon toast pretzel sticks & the cinnamon almond cookie bites. They were <$2 a bag. I liked the chips a lot. They were the consistency of frito corn chips, maybe a little lighter in texture. Mildly spicy. Enough in the bag that I was satisfied (I'm a quantity person). I'd buy them again.

I'll let you all know how the others taste.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #473  

S/C/G: 178/155/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAvery View Post
Kay's Naturals Chili Nacho protein chip review - I decided to take the plunge & buy an assortment of what was available locally...these, the cinnamon toast pretzel sticks & the cinnamon almond cookie bites. They were <$2 a bag. I liked the chips a lot. They were the consistency of frito corn chips, maybe a little lighter in texture. Mildly spicy. Enough in the bag that I was satisfied (I'm a quantity person). I'd buy them again.

I'll let you all know how the others taste.
As someone mentioned up-thread all tastes are subjective! I bought these chips at Walgreens (in the diabetes section) and thought they were absolutely horrendous. I usually can suffer through just about anything, but I couldn't finish the bag.

I bought a bag of the cinnamon almond cookie bites at the same time, but I haven't had the courage to try them yet, since I found the chili nacho chips to be so repulsive.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #474  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny View Post
As someone mentioned up-thread all tastes are subjective! I bought these chips at Walgreens (in the diabetes section) and thought they were absolutely horrendous. I usually can suffer through just about anything, but I couldn't finish the bag.

I bought a bag of the cinnamon almond cookie bites at the same time, but I haven't had the courage to try them yet, since I found the chili nacho chips to be so repulsive.
I tried the Parmesan ones the day before I tried the chili nacho ones and hated them so much I almost didn't try the chili nacho, which are now a regular item for me. As you said, some people will hate things that other people love.

Give the cookies a try. Worst case scenario is you hate them and the package stops cluttering up your space. You might find you love them as I do.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #475  

S/C/G: 142/142/127

Height: 5'5

Default Pure protein bars

Has anyone tried the pure protein bars as an alternative? I bought a pack at SAMs but the stats seem kind of high, and I wasn't sure if they were allowed? They have 180 cals, 4.5 fat, 40 cal from fat, and 17g carb (2 fiber).
Old 09-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #476  

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizy76xmc View Post
Has anyone tried the pure protein bars as an alternative? I bought a pack at SAMs but the stats seem kind of high, and I wasn't sure if they were allowed? They have 180 cals, 4.5 fat, 40 cal from fat, and 17g carb (2 fiber).
That's fine for a restricted
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #477  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

I've bought the Quest BBQ chips and loved them. They taste like a baked lays chip!! Haven't tried the simple chips or the protein store chips
Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #478  

S/C/G: Goal: 150

Height: 5'8"

I just ordered the Quest chips today. My GNC and other local stores still don't have them, so I went to the Quest site. I'll let you know what I think. I do really like the Simply chips (they sound a lot like the Kay's Naturals!) but I really want something unrestricted and without soy.
Also, I added some WF maple syrup to my roasted rutabega tonight and it was almost like butternut squash - one of my favorites! It was really filling and yummy!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #479  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdmom2 View Post
I just ordered the Quest chips today. My GNC and other local stores still don't have them, so I went to the Quest site. I'll let you know what I think. I do really like the Simply chips (they sound a lot like the Kay's Naturals!) but I really want something unrestricted and without soy.
Also, I added some WF maple syrup to my roasted rutabega tonight and it was almost like butternut squash - one of my favorites! It was really filling and yummy!
I am definitely going to get some of the Quest chips! I sent a message to my local nutrition store owner (just so happens he has known my husband since high school!) to see if he would be interested in ordering them, it'd be easier to just buy from him

One of my favorite recipes with rutabaga is a bisque that is VERY similar to a curried butternut squash soup - you take cooked rutabaga (after it has cooled), toss it in a blender with a splash of WF syrup and curry powder and just enough vanilla RTD to thin it out a bit. SOOOO good.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #480  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdmom2 View Post
FYI
Simply chips are soy-free as well
Closed Thread