Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 4 - Page 26 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #376  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Are quest chips in stores in US yet? I'm going to Detroit in October. Where can I but simply chips either in Canada or US? I've only seen it by the case online.
Yes they're in the US.

Simply Protein Chips are made in Toronto you can find out from there website where to get them, I found them in Richmond Hill and in Kelowna BC
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #377  

S/C/G: 168.8/136.4./130

Height: 5'2''

I can buy Simply Protein Chips in our local Bulk Barn in Ontario.

Last edited by ommamma; 09-02-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #378  

S/C/G: 168.8/136.4./130

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
ommamma and Adventurgurl and sarajoyus:

I had the same concerns when I first started this diet. I had only eaten "whole" food, nothing packaged, certainly no sugars, no sodas, no sweets. I did that for years and still gained weight steadily even though I was eating healthy. I came to the same conclusion: This is temporary. Once I get the fat off, I know I can go back to the whole food way of eating that I feel more comfortable with...BUT...I will also be armed with the knowledge of fat/carb separation that I didn't have before which led me down the "fat" path. After all the reading I have done on this forum, I see plenty of maintainers who eat mostly whole foods and have done just fine. I know I can do it too.
Thanks catlady. I am the same way, prior to IP I was eating healthy, working out and still gaining. You are right, it is temporary and I do feel like I will not have any problems getting back to eating that way. There still is some concern that I may be picking up some "bad habits". I am not sure what you mean about the knowledge of fat/carb seperation. I am going to explore the maintainers forum. What a great idea, even more wonderful wisdom from folks like yourself who have already gone before us and are generous to share. I am sure you can do it too.....Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #379  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Took a big step this morning and placed my first alternatives order. I've been exclusively using IP food since I started, but I don't want to be dependent on it as much when I go into maintenance. Now that I'm nearing my goal, I'm going to start mixing in some alternative products. Placed my order with quest, got free shipping and 12 individual bars for the cost of a box. I got the Chocolate Brownie, Cinnamon Roll, Lemon Cream Pie, Strawberry Cheesecake, Apple Pie and Banana Nut Muffin. Looking forward to having some more variety in my restricteds! I am also going to buy a couple of packs of EAS Carb Advantedge Fudge shakes when I go out. I did try them once before and I felt like I had the hungries, but I will give them another shot.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #380  

Default Quest Bars

This past week I started using Quest bars mixed in with my IP food. I have had at least one each day and a few days I had two. The bars are mostly 4 net carbs or less. I was concerned initially because gross carbs was high but fiber is also very high, thus the net of only 4. They contain no sugar alcohols. The IP bars are much less carbs and much less fiber so as we all now know are usually 8+ net carbs. That was the only change I made to my protocol and I lost 4.5 lbs this week. I am very close to my goal so it was surprising and fantastic. The Quest bars are $27.50 for 12 different flavors on Amazon. The texture is sort of like taffy. I like that it is something entirely new. I am ordering more today, but not the variety pack. I now know which are my favorites and I'll just get those. I have to say the coconut tastes like a Mounds bar without the chocolate coating and the chocolate brownie bar tastes like a tootsie roll (similar texture as well). The peanutbutter and jelly bar tastes awful and the texture was dry. Don't be afraid to mix it up a little. After 3 months on the same food I was ready for a change. The results were great.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #381  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan57 View Post
This past week I started using Quest bars mixed in with my IP food. I have had at least one each day and a few days I had two. The bars are mostly 4 net carbs or less. I was concerned initially because gross carbs was high but fiber is also very high, thus the net of only 4. They contain no sugar alcohols. The IP bars are much less carbs and much less fiber so as we all now know are usually 8+ net carbs. That was the only change I made to my protocol and I lost 4.5 lbs this week. I am very close to my goal so it was surprising and fantastic. The Quest bars are $27.50 for 12 different flavors on Amazon. The texture is sort of like taffy. I like that it is something entirely new. I am ordering more today, but not the variety pack. I now know which are my favorites and I'll just get those. I have to say the coconut tastes like a Mounds bar without the chocolate coating and the chocolate brownie bar tastes like a tootsie roll (similar texture as well). The peanutbutter and jelly bar tastes awful and the texture was dry. Don't be afraid to mix it up a little. After 3 months on the same food I was ready for a change. The results were great.

Try putting them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, it helps with the texture
Old 08-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #382  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

pishposh: I stopped going to my clinic/coach at the end of June and have been using alts from Nashua, Quest Bars, and EAS Carb Advantage shakes and my remaining IP packets. I love the different variety. Yes, there are some things that are just better with IP, like the puddings, but...at a savings of $21/box, I am so happy that I can continue on the protocol and save money. I haven't noticed any change in my losses. And the last couple of weeks I've had better losses than when I was just using all IP. That could be completely random though. I can tell you that once I told my coach I was going to alternates, I had to stop going to the clinic. But I am still getting the videos, which I find helpful.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #383  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommamma View Post
Thanks catlady. I am the same way, prior to IP I was eating healthy, working out and still gaining. You are right, it is temporary and I do feel like I will not have any problems getting back to eating that way. There still is some concern that I may be picking up some "bad habits". I am not sure what you mean about the knowledge of fat/carb seperation. I am going to explore the maintainers forum. What a great idea, even more wonderful wisdom from folks like yourself who have already gone before us and are generous to share. I am sure you can do it too.....Thanks again.
The fat/carb separation is how you plan your maintenance meals. I strongly encourage you to read the Maintainers thread, Maintainers what are you eating today, and also Life after Phase 1. As with all these threads, great advice and ways to plan for Maintaining. Because it's all about the planning.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #384  

Default quest strawberry cheese cake bar

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Bar (60 g)
Servings per Container: 12
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 160
Calories from Fat 40
Total Fat 4.5 g 7%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 250 mg 10%
Potassium 100 mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9%
Dietary Fiber 17 g 68%
Sugars 2 g
Erythritol 5 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 10%
Iron 2%
Phosphorus 10%
Magnesium 6%

this is from the quest cheese cake bar. I'm trying to learn about alt. products. my question is....is the carbs too high according to the alt.comparisions chart thats posted?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #385  

im confused about the net carbs.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #386  

what the heck is the differance in net carbs and reg. carbs
Old 08-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #387  

You take the total carbs and subtract the fiber to get the net carb
Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #388  

Thumbs up thanks sooooo much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLynn8 View Post
You take the total carbs and subtract the fiber to get the net carb
thanx shelby
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #389  

You can also subtract sugar alcohols if your food has it
Old 08-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #390  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLynn8 View Post
You can also subtract sugar alcohols if your food has it
sugar alcohols?...lol? I've got a lot to learn! So subtract that from carbs as well?(still typing w/ one hand excuse me please)
Closed Thread