Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 4 - Page 34 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #496  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdmom2 View Post
Yes, the Simply chips are restricted. But yummy!
thanks!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #497  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

Thank you for suggesting the Muscle Milk 100. I found a 4 pack at my local Walmart for $4.95. I tried the vanilla crème and liked it. I'll try the chocolate tomorrow!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #498  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I just tried Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade Flavor. I was suspicious of whey protein flavored like lemonade, but it was pretty good! I had mine over ice and added some mint and it was a tiny, tiny bit like a mojito

You could totally get away with people thinking you are drinking with this one - it could also look like a margarita with a lime slice on the side, sea salt on the rim?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #499  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Tried the QUEST BAR recipe of cutting into pieces, flattening, and baking!! OMG!! Tried it with both Choc Brownie and Apple. DELICIOUS!!

THANK YOU to whomever invented THAT!!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #500  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
I just tried Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade Flavor. I was suspicious of whey protein flavored like lemonade, but it was pretty good! I had mine over ice and added some mint and it was a tiny, tiny bit like a mojito

You could totally get away with people thinking you are drinking with this one - it could also look like a margarita with a lime slice on the side, sea salt on the rim?
I'm a big lemonade fan!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #501  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

bump for Luv2listn
Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #502  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
What are the Whey shakes called? and now my head is itching!!! LOL
Sorry about your itchy head! I really did think twice about posting that piece of info Google turned up reports from other people about this problem in response to casein. There is so much emphasis on lactose intolerance that casein issues are sometimes overlooked.

The shakes are called Designer Whey and are sold in RTD 10.5 oz 4-packs in chocolate or vanilla. I love that little extra volume. They also come in big cannisters of powder and I think I saw a strawberry flavored powder. The vanilla is considerably less sweet than Muscle Milk, which keeps me enjoying but not craving it I've seen them at Vitamin Shoppe & Target (Target is much cheaper).

Here are the macros from the Vanilla rtd label for one carton:
Calories: 100
Fat 2g (0 saturated, 0 trans fat)
Total carb 5g (Fiber 1g sugars 3g)
Protein 18g

Also fortified vit. D3 & some other vits. It's labeled Lactose Free, but ingredients include some sugar and also casein. But I think so do some IP products. Someday I'll screw up my courage and find out just what "designer' means. I sure hope it doesn't mean a GMO product or cloned cow. Then I'll have to start taking my coffee black.

Last edited by mars735; 09-13-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #503  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Sorry about your itchy head! I really did think twice about posting that piece of info Google turned up reports from other people about this problem in response to casein. There is so much emphasis on lactose intolerance that casein issues are sometimes overlooked.

The shakes are called Designer Whey and are sold in RTD 10.5 oz 4-packs in chocolate or vanilla. I love that little extra volume. They also come in big cannisters of powder and I think I saw a strawberry flavored powder. The vanilla is considerably less sweet than Muscle Milk, which keeps me enjoying but not craving it I've seen them at Vitamin Shoppe & Target (Target is much cheaper).

Here are the macros from the Vanilla rtd label for one carton:
Calories: 100
Fat 2g (0 saturated, 0 trans fat)
Total carb 5g (Fiber 1g sugars 3g)
Protein 18g

Also fortified vit. D3 & some other vits. It's labeled Lactose Free, but ingredients include some sugar and also casein. But I think so do some IP products. Someday I'll screw up my courage and find out just what "designer' means. I sure hope it doesn't mean a GMO product or cloned cow. Then I'll have to start taking my coffee black.
Thank you for the info. I have been drinking the advantage carb control but those are soy based, I'd like to try the whey. I bought my DH six star whey protein but it has 30 grams protein and 11 carbs I suppose I could just use less of it...but that takes too much thinking!! Lol
Old 09-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #504  
maintaining since 9/2013

I heartily agree about having to think about fractional portions!

Here's the ingredient list, sounds like no soy:

water, designer whey protein blend (milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, whay protein isolate, taurine) sugar, sunflower oil, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavors, sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate, sodium citrate, citric acid, sucralose, carageenan, dextrose, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine HCl, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) .

The italics are mine, around the vitamins that I recognize. Quest bars and most IP products have at least as many ingredients! Looks like 'designer' refers to their special blend of proteins. I'm going to read up on taurine.

Here's what I found about Taurine; time to write Designer Whey and find out the amount in the shakes.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...e/faq-20058177
Taurine is listed as an ingredient in many energy drinks. What is taurine? Is it safe?
Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Taurine is an amino acid that supports neurological development and helps regulate the level of water and mineral salts in the blood. Taurine is also thought to have antioxidant properties.
Taurine is found naturally in meat, fish and breast milk, and it's commonly available as a dietary supplement. Some studies suggest that taurine supplementation may improve athletic performance, which may explain why taurine is used in many energy drinks. Other studies suggest that taurine combined with caffeine improves mental performance, although this finding remains controversial. And in one study, people with congestive heart failure who took taurine supplements three times a day for two weeks showed improvement in their exercise capacity.
Up to 3,000 milligrams a day of supplemental taurine is considered safe. Any excess taurine is simply excreted by the kidneys. Moderation is important, however. Little is known about the effects of heavy or long-term taurine use.
It's also important to remember that there may be high amounts of other ingredients in energy drinks, such as high amounts of caffeine or sugar. Too much caffeine can increase your heart rate and blood pressure, interrupt your sleep, and cause nervousness and irritability. And added sugar may provide unwanted added calories.
For most people, occasional energy drinks are fine, but try to limit yourself to about 16 ounces (500 milliliters) a day.

Last edited by mars735; 09-13-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #505  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Does anyone have some Nashua codes for this week?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #506  

HOT10 for 10% off Health Smart hot drink mixes

ETA: FYI to all
On the left column, toward the bottom there is always a link to "weekly sale and discounts"

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-14-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #507  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Are there any alternative unrestricted bars that folks would recommend?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #508  

Mostly the bars are restricted.
A couple Quest Bars are on the fence but I count them as restricted.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #509  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I was using the IP chicken soup as a sauce (mix 1/2 chix soup + 1/2 rotini pasta + veggies). Has anyone found a thick chicken soup alternative mix comparable to the IP chicken soup? (or any flavor that is thick and you would recommend as a sauce? I tried the IP mushroom and tomato basil and they worked and were okay but I like the chicken soup better)
Old 09-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #510  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Designer Whey RTD on sale Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
Thank you for the info. I have been drinking the advantage carb control but those are soy based, I'd like to try the whey. I bought my DH six star whey protein but it has 30 grams protein and 11 carbs I suppose I could just use less of it...but that takes too much thinking!! Lol
Not sure if this is local or national but today they were 4.99 for a 4-pack. They go on sale pretty regularly; this is the lowest price I can recall.
Closed Thread