General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 04:38 PM   #16  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone!

Welcome upandaway! We're happy to meet you, and to welcome you into our group. Everyone helps and supports each other, and it is because of their help that I have lost, and am maintaining. Glad to have you here!

and yes, what a compliment from your son, that you're a cool mom! And what self-control to give up a meal at Outback!!! I would gladly save calories for two days to eat there!!

Nancy - YAHOO and WAY TO GO for joining Curves!!!! I KNOW that you will be psyched at what happens now when you combine your on-program eating with the exercise. JLo, step aside, girl, Nancy is gonna put you to shame!

Kina, so sorry that your poor throat is so sore! I do hope it gets better soon. Hot tea, if you can sip it, always eases me a bit. You are such a good mom! We can tell from how you interact with your kids. "Pinky day" - so cute.

Christine, my gosh, the time is drawing near! Yes, dealing with families' input on names can be detrimental to your (mental) health! It's purely you and your husband's decision. Hope you're still feeling well. 38 pounds, for a babygain, isn't that much. Yes, you can deal with that! So much will be gone in the first two weeks.

tryinhard, congrats on your two-year anniversary!!! Do you still run into anyone anymore who hasn't seen you since your loss? I'm trying to say that probably people around you are now used to you this smaller size-?

The ladies I work with said they have a hard time believing that I was overweight; they said I gave the impression of being an OK size all the time. It came up when we were eating lunch and I stuck to a small soup, saying I could never eat what I really wanted to, 'cause I'd be as big as a house

Oh! But they want to start doing an exercise tape at our boss's house at least twice a week! I think we might burn calories just by laughing with each other, and probably making fun of our poor tape instructor, but it's a start. We can then help each other during the day at work to eat well, which is totally do-able, with the portions of lean deli meats, fresh tomatoes, cukes, carrots, and sprouts available.

Yes, Amy, this maintaining takes just as much effort. Most days I have the new habits in place, that keep my portions right, and good choices over bad, and the mindless eating just not an option. But it sure is hard other times; my bad mind starts asking "hey, Holly, you're way down in your clothes size, you can certainly have an unscheduled bowl of cereal, bakery muffin, whatever". Bad mind!!! Quiet!!

DNW, sorry to hear that you haven't felt well either. I know that we get sick from germs, not the cold yucky winter weather, but it sure seems that one gets sick more often in the winter. Hot green tea is again my contribution, plus resting. (oh yes, and I was born in Princeton, and grew up in Mercer County, NJ) I sure hope you feel better soon.

Nancy, I just zipped through some posts of the past few days (of which I've been absent ) and see HOW CLOSE to the 170's you are?!?! Woo-hoo!!! And Amy also about to close the gap into the next set of "ten" - WAY TO GO!! It is SO hard but you're doing it!!!

Hey, we haven't heard from Kanola, alibee, nor Jacklyn for a while. Hope you ladies are fine! I also feel sad for not hearing from two ladies from way back last year, Sprite and Melisa. Everyone makes contributions here, and we miss them when they aren't around.

We got a DUMP of snow today - at least 14", so we've been working away at clearing it. I'm going to do my indoor exercise first, then go out and get the outdoor aerobics!

Have a great day/evening!

Your friend, Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-14-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:41 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!
We have had a ton of snowfall yesterday and today...so I may get that shovel out and burn some calories today as well!
Well, I have Nancy's little surprise in the works, and in the process of being shipped to her house for tying with me in the Christmas challenge. We have emailed, and she seems pretty happy with what I am sending! (Maybe that will motivate the rest of you in this one! )
Nancy-I emailed you about it, but I wanted to praise your decision on the boards as well. I am so glad that you joined Curves, since you are such an exercise hater-it may do you a world of good to be there with other ladies, to help motivate you. It was also such a smart decision to join it month by month, rather than all year, so you can move up to a regular gym, or another type of class when you outgrow them. I am just so happy that you signed up and went! Even on days that you do not feel like doing it-even I have them-say to yourself that it is only 30 minutes, and you will feel much better after you do it. (I always do, I have kindof a "rush" after working out)
It was good to spend that Christmas money on something for your health...I did as well...(3 new videos and a smoothie blender)
Well...now for the best news...I have lost another pounds, and am down to 189! I am finally in the 180's, and now have a 22 pound total loss! I am thrilled. From prior experience, when I get in the very low 180's to high 170's-that is when I usually go from a size 18 to a 16, so I am REALLY using that as motivation...I actually went and bought a pair of new Old Navy jeans in a size 16 that were on clearance a couple weeks ago-for further motivation. They are real cute-the dark rince with the faded out thighs and butt...(I will be sure to let you know as soon as they fit in about 8-12 more pounds!!) I have them out on my dresser instead of in my drawer, so I can see them every morning and let them motivate me with the yearning to be wearing them soon!!
Well, I better get going...I need to get my exercise done for the day!
Aphil
Old 01-06-2003, 07:03 AM   #18  

Default Why so early?

I don't know why I just couldn't sleep anymore. A nagging sore tooth may be to blame, it comes and goes.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I love to read about snow in other parts of the country, it must be fun to go sledding and ice skating. My kids have never seen snow, at least not that they can remember. Maybe one day we'll take a winter vacation someplace where they can play in the snow.

Aphil, applause, applause on you're entering the 180's! Great idea to put those jeans out in plain view as motivation! You inspired me to do the same. I cleaned out my dresser drawers and pulled those too small jeans out along with small t-shirts that I haven't been able to wear in so long and put them out in plain sight. I got to thinking, yes, I have lots of pretty things in my closet that I'd love to get back into, but it's those jeans and t-shirts I miss the most, those "everyday clothes" as my momma used to say. Thanks, Aphil for the idea!

Nancy, I am nowhere near ready (or have the time) to do something like join Curves (which I hear from friends around here is fabulous), but you motivated me to get on my bike and ride. Yesterday I rode over an hour! Now the tension is set very easy, and I didn't ride very fast, but I rode it. Whenever the idea of a snack crept into my head I'd yell at myself "Get on the bike!" or "Drink your water!" and I did. Sometimes yelling at myself is the only way to get my attention!

Thanks for the inspiration, motivation and conversation.
Have a great day all!
upandaway

Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 AM   #19  

Good morning!
upandaway-when I was in the worst shape of my life, after my first child, I could not keep up with exercise videos-and I started out like you, with an exercise bike. I could only do 10-15 minutes on an easy resistance setting, but as time grew on, I could gradually inch up the resistance, and 15 minutes slowly became 20, then 25, and then 30-until I was doing a half hour at a decent resistance level each day. I then bought a 10 minute abdominal tape, which I started doing every other day...which I starting doing every other day...it doesn't matter how slow you start out, as long as you keep on doing it, and keep adding time, or difficulty, or weight as your fitness progresses. It is better to do a little and do it regularly, then to do too much and stop after a couple days. Once you are in the habit of regular exercise, you can move yourself up to a higher level.
I am also like you on the clothing thing...I totally had some awesome clothes I used to wear out to clubs and such...but it is the basice jeans, capri pants, and fitted t-shirts that I miss wearing and looking good in the most. I have a pair of size 16 white capri pants from when I was going down the weight loss ladder after my daughter, and I just loved them. I am hoping that they will fit just in time for March-along with my new jeans I have laid out on the dresser...
Well, I better get going. I have my exercise to do, as well as getting these children into the tub!
Move those buns today ladies!!!
Aphil
Old 01-06-2003, 01:16 PM   #20  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

At this point I am wondering if my scale has fudged. Does anyone know how long the lifespan is on a scale (digital)? I just bought this one about a half a year ago. I swear I can get on that scale 3 times in a row and it never marks the same weight twice. Sometimes it will mark the weight loss and then I jump on again for verification and it will mark the weight gain but dramatically like 2 lbs. Before I could get on the scale and it would set to a number then I would hop off then take a minute to hop back on for verification and would show the same. Now that only happens sometimes. I don't know if I should invest in a new scale or what.

It' s like the scale DH bought for himself after a couple of weeks he broke. I knew my weight was about 200 and some at the time and I would hop on his scale and would register me at 160! I was like "Honey, I really like your scale don't get rid of it." LOL He never took it back although he should have.

Anhow I just wanted to ask that question. And also let you all know I am back in motion. It seems my throat infection has cleared up completely and I feel 100 %. I just got done using my twister for 5 minutes and I also did 4 miles on the elliptical. I feel sensational. I plan to do it again tonight. My family will be beginning our weight challenge next Sunday. I am really looking forward to it. I plan to give it my best effort. I hope that I will see some change on the scale even though school will be very involved this semester. Okay I will get out of here. I have to run to the post office for DH and then perhaps take the kids to the park.

Take care.
Kina
Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #21  

Good afternoon!!!
I just finished an excruciating 40 minutes of strenght training...wew!!! I have a major after workout rush though...
Kina-I have a little advice about scales. First of all, buy a nice one-not a cheap one. A cheaply made scale is most likely to be innacurate, or break down sooner. Second, do not keep your scale in your bathroom if it is small, and not very well ventilated, or there is any chance of it getting wet from kids in the tub. If your bathroom isn't well ventilated, the steam from the shower can also get inside. Third, weigh yourself in the same spot-moving around the scale on the floor can cause a pound or two difference, due to the uneveness of some floors. I try to keep mine in the same spot always-you can mark this by a towel bar, or shelf, or something to know that it is where it should be. Lastly, always weigh yourself at the same time everyday-preferably in your underwear or naked. I can weigh myself in jeans, a sweater, and shoes-and then weigh myself naked-and there will be a pound or two difference. The time of day can also cause a fluctuation, if you usually weigh yourself first thing in the morning, and then you weigh yourself right after dinner-there is going to be a difference. Try to keep weighing yourself to once or twice a week-not everyday. TOM, sodium intake, whether or not you have to go to the bathroom-these things can all make a difference. Your problem sounds mostly like the scale-due to it being different weighing yourself twice one right after another-but if you get a new one, try to keep it from getting wet or steamy, especially if it is digital. Hope that helps!
Another thing I would like to add to all of us ladies who are losing, or have lost a lot of weight is the talk of bras. It is very important-and I was reading that most women, like 70% are not wearing the proper bra size. You need to measure yourself to make sure you are, and measure again whenever you lose 10 pounds or so, or lose or gain a clothing size. The proper way to do this is to measure right up under your armpits for your band size-if it is an odd size, like 37-then go up to a 38 band size, and wear it on the tightest setting. (Most women wear too large a band size, and too small a cup size. I wore a 40D for a long time after having my daughter, and come to find out, I was a 38DD-afterwards I measured my 36C mother, who is actually a 36D!) Your bra cups should not be gapping out away from your body when you are standing up straight. If there is a bunch of space there, then your cup size is too small. The center of the bra should be up against your skin between your breasts. If there is "popping out" of breast at the top of the cups or under the armpits at all-your cup size is too small. (The only exception to this rule is a Wonderbra/pushup bra-where it is supposed to pop your breasts up and out, but these are not meant for everyday type wear anyway... It may feel a little more constricting around the midriff at first, but the cups will be much more comfortable, and you will have less of the bra "riding up" your back into your shoulder blades. We have to keep these things properly supported, lest they be at our knees in later years...
Well, I best be getting off for my after workout shower...you ladies take care, and have a good afternoon!
Aphil
Old 01-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #22  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Scales

Thanks Aphil. Let me give more info. I do follow many of the suggestions you gave me. My scale is in the kitchen to keep me from making bad choices. I always have it in the same spot whenever I weigh myself. I always weigh myself at the same time every time. The scale I bought back in like June 2002 was about 40 bucks. Hubby thought that was pretty outrageous for a scale but it was a motivational gift for myself. I had never owned a scale and I think that was a big problem in my way of life, at the time. TOM isn't an issue right now. As for the sodium, it could be but the scale should still register one weight no matter how many times I hop on that scale especially if it is right after one another. I think it is the scale. I am tempted to just go and get another but I don't want to be spending 40 bucks every 6 months.

Anyway. I am going to get going. I have to get the house in order because tonight is open house at the kids school. Talk to you all later.
Kina
Old 01-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #23  

I am really stopping the yo yoing, I havent been on here in months, and I am back to work. THe problem, low energy, tighter and tighter uniforms, and I feel bloated like im on prednisone.

I really need some support and reading here today has helped.. I was on the low fat diet, and did well for over 3 months before i moved back here to virginia, then the stress went up, and so did my eating. I measured myself today, and almost back to square 1, oh my..Thats it, for real ladies, How is everyone, and you all are wonderful.

My son turned 2 on Christmas eve, and boy is he active and smart, my goodness. So im going to chase h im around later, but start clean in the morning.. Do give me a boost i plan to use some slimfast... and watch everything i eat.

Where i work people are always giving out food and snacks but imma learn to say. no.!!! Dont need it but thanks, lol. well everyone, talk to yaal later thanks for everything.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:40 PM   #24  

T - Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!So glad you came back!!!!!!
You were missed you will soon be on your way to losing again. You can do this!!!!!!!! We can all do this together !!!

Amy, Way to go , you made it to the 180's I am so proud of you . You have been working so hard and its paying off big time!!!

Kina, I think you should invest in a scale that is reliable for you. It is important to have accruacy, because we rely so much on the scale. Its a sad fact, but we all see the scale as a mood setter. When its down we are up, when it is up we are down. Go figure

Hello to everyone else,, I am headed out the door to Curves and I have also drank almost 64 ounces of water so far today..
Yippee!!

Be back later
Nancy
Old 01-06-2003, 06:57 PM   #25  

Hello and good evening!
Kina-One more thing to try before you get another scale-since it is digital, try new batteries in it, and see if that helps out any! If not, I say get another scale. Don't worry about spending on one every six months, because the one I have has lasted over three years without a problem-this is probably just an isolated case.
Nancy-I am so glad that you are braving it and going to Curves again...and that the initial soreness hasn't scared you off from going! Anything to get you to do your regular exercise!
t-girl-I am so glad you are back. Don't beat yourself up about having your relapse and gaining weight. You came back, and have recommited, and that is what counts. If you find that you are still hungry or feel unsatisfied using Slim-Fast, let me know and I can give you plenty of ideas on healthy meals that are low in fat and calories, and high in nutrients.
Aphil
Old 01-07-2003, 03:27 PM   #26  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default I am not Dead!! Just in Canada!!

Hey everyone!!

Sorry this is so quick, but I have not had much time on the net since we got here!!

I am having a great time, eating ok, but not really good 100% of the time so I am dreading the WW meeting the day after we get back

I have put on 4 pounds according to the scales at the parents place, but that is ok for a 3 week christmas holiday.... and because I am pigging out on the canadian things we don't get in Australia like the BEER!!!

I will send a longer note when we get back, we leave in 24 hours and I am really sad about that!! I had a quick scan through the posts and seems like everyone is doing well!!

Nancy - - are you in Calgary yet?? We drove to Vernon to hang out with my uncle for 4 days and drove through Calgary.... I wondered if you were there yet!! Too funny eh?

Talk to everyone real soon!!

Nola.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:07 AM   #27  

Default Good Wednesday morning!

Hi everyone! Just a quick note to say I survived the first day back at work yesterday OP! Yippee for me! Usually at the end of the school day when the rest of the staff stops by our office to raid the candy jar, I'm right there with the rest of them. But yesterday I made a point of saving some "have to do" work until then and removed myself from the location to do what I needed to get done. I was so proud of myself! The only thing was I forgot to get my yogurt out of the fridge to eat at the end of the day so by the time I picked up my kids from school I was "starving" (yeah, right) and the old thoughts started creeping in, hmm...McDonald's... Wendy's...but I was strong, I stood firm and held out until I could get to some water and chugged that to hold me over! It's amazing how one tiny little victory can you inspire you to go on.

I hope everyone has a terrific day, I'm planning to!
later, upandaway
Old 01-08-2003, 09:02 AM   #28  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Good thinking Up and Away! I am back to work this morning. So off to work I go. bye

Have a great day!
Kina
Old 01-08-2003, 10:04 AM   #29  

Good morning everyone!
Kanola-good to hear from you!
upandaway-aren't those small victories the greatest? my greatest victory thus far was not eating Thanksgiving dinner at my in-law's house, and just nibbling off of the veggie tray and having a diet dessert I made...my advice for when you forget your yogurt, etc. and are hungry-keep a small granola bar or box of raisins in your purse at all times.
Well, I have had a good day thus far-today I am going to do Pilates, which I do as a change of pace about once every two weeks. (It is really intense on your abs and back, even though it is slow and flowing like yoga.)
I better run off now, I have a lot to get done today!
Aphil
Old 01-08-2003, 01:42 PM   #30  

Hi everyone! Welcome upandaway! I hope you have another great day like yesterday! I read on someone's post: "fall down seven times, get up eight"! You are up! Good for you!
Great to hear from you, Nola! We've missed your posts and can't wait to hear about your trip!
Ladies, funny thing going on my house--DH is on a diet! Now, he has NEVER been overweight, but when he got on the scale and it said 207 (not too bad, he's 6'2''), he FREAKED! But it is too funny--everytime he goes to eat something, he asks my permission! I keep telling him he can eat whatever he wants (mind you there's nothing BAD in the house), he just has to watch his portions. I just have to chuckle--he's also REALLY cranky! I remember when I was just starting, I was really cranky! What's that they say about payback?? Apparently after Christmas, all the 'guys' in his office were comparing their waist sizes--wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall??
Well, hope you're all having a super day. The next few weeks are crazy for me, so know that you're all in my thoughts!
Closed Thread