General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:00 PM   #106  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks, Kina!

I did feel like a total 21st century woman today; made bread and desserts at work; came home and gassed up the cycle and went for a ride; came home and mowed some lawn; then cleaned up after supper (which husband made, lucky me) then made a tiny batch of cookies for son/husband. I like being both traditional and non-traditional woman!

Hope everyone's doing GREAT!

Holly
176/162/160 1st mini-goal
Old 06-19-2002, 12:01 AM   #107  

Hey Holly! Way to go on the cycle riding! You have guts! It's amazing what a confidence boost shedding some weight can do for you. I bet you never would have even thought you could ever ride a motorcycle when you were at your beginning weight. That is so great!

Kina you are doing so well, keep it up!

Hereicome I love those soy products as well. I make my son (5) Veggie dogs and he cannot tell the difference between it and a regular hot dog. I also make chili and spaghetti sauce with the TSP (textured soy protein) Not only is it low in fat and calories, it's cheap as well.

Hello to everyone else!

I was doing so well until just this past week and then BAM! I cannot stop eating. I guess it's the stress of my finals? I'm not sure but I can't wait until the end of this week so I can get back on track.

Take care everyone!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:31 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 230/211/165

Height: 5'5"

I know how hard it is to pass up food when those cravings are so strong to over eat. I just try to keep busy when that happens to me. I either go on the treadmill or decide this is a good time to go do errands in the car. Yesterday, all the fast food restaurants seemed to be calling my name. but I didn't go. Then, to the grocery store and I heard the deli calling my name. Publix makes the best sandwhiches I did manage to say no. Sure wish that scale would have shown my determination-not one budge of the weight Try to keep eating, healthy no matter what the weight does because I do want to live and being fat is not the route to a long ,healthy life and thats what I am here for
Old 06-19-2002, 08:50 PM   #109  
Biker Chick!

Hi everyone!

Thanks, Sprite - that's true; I really needed to shed the weight to feel confident in myself and my capabilities. I'm a MUCH happier, assertive person when I'm not in excess poundage.

I've really got to try the soy/textured veggie protein for replacing ground beef/turkey in some meals, esp. spaghetti sauce. Where in the grocery store do you find it?

Let's see if I can correctly say hi to all of us here, especially ones we haven't heard from in a bit -

Hi to Sprite, Pamela, Christine, the vacationing Nancy, Melisa, tryin'hard, jacklyn, kanola, aphil, t-girl, Dawna, hereicome, Kewi, and Kina! We had Darmah here a month or so ago - are you still with us?

Sprite, I hope your exams go great and the stress will lift; then you can be back to your good routines and on your way to that 125 goal! That is super-slender!

hereicome, good for you in not listening to the evil voices calling you to fast food! And then they tried to lure you at the deli! I know when one craves that salt/fat fix it is really hard to resist. Saying no makes you that much more in-control.

I went for another ride today (again, exhilarated/scared/same time!) and some kind of flying insect slammed into my neck and stung - it REALly hurt, but I told myself not to let the tears come to my eyes 'cause that would affect my vision! Is that crazy or what?! It stopped hurting after a couple of minutes, and is just a red welt now. I will be sure to button my jacket up to my chin next time!

Have a great night and a super day tomorrow! Keep pluggin' away and good things are gonna happen!

Holly
176/162/160 1st mini-goal

Last edited by VermontMom; 06-19-2002 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 230/211/165

Height: 5'5"

In my grocery store, I find the soy products in 2 places. One is where the tofu is, in my store it is where the vegtables are. The second place is where the boca burgers and veggie burgers are ,in the frozen food dept. I am just shocked at the good taste. I never even saw these products before until I looked for them.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #111  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

The soy products, I guess, are the same as the veggie and tofu products? I might be wrong...either way they sound like they are yummy. I might give them a try. I wonder if they price them high since they are nutritional.

I stepped on the scale and it read 206. I guess those 2 extra laps in my routine plus the added 2lb weights really helped.

I don't know if I had mentioned it but I am in a weight challenge between me and some of my family members. Whomever loses the most weight by September 1 wins 750 BUCKS! I really would like to win but it seems my muscle that I am building is going to sabotage it all. Since June 8, I have come down from 210.5 to what I am today. I would like to get to 200 by the end of the month. Any pointers or tips that any of you might have up your sleeve. I know I can't have instantaneous results. But I need something to balance the muscle weight to the weight on the scale. I have been drinking my Slim Fast, although some of you may be against it, it has worked for me. I usually just substitute my breakfast for my shake because any milk spoils my stomach. I drink the shake that has soy.

I wish you a successful day.
Kinarina
Old 06-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #112  

Hello everybody!!

I have been so busy lately I have not posted in a while, but I'm still at it!! I have shortened my walks but have added some exercise tapes to my routine. Yesterday I did the Firm tape and I am hurting today, but its a good kind of hurt. I also spent about 3 hours working on our yard, planting flowers and spreading mulch. Spent alot of time on my knees, getting up and down to get things, so I am probably sore from that as well.

Kina~I dont know what to tell you about the muscle gain vs. weight loss. I have not budged on the scale in a while and it is so frustrating! But I know that it is working because my clothes fit looser and I can actually see muscle definition, especially in my legs from the walking.

I read somewhere that for each pound of muscle you gain, you burn an extra 35 calories a day! So that will add up eventually. And you'll be alot firmer! Good luck on the bet!

Hope everyone is doing great! I'll check in later!
Old 06-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #113  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Thanks Jacklyn. I will try to look at it that way. Actually I have noticed that my clothes are fitting a bit looser. Which makes me feel really good about myself.

Keep on going.
Kinarina
Old 06-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #114  
Biker Chick!

Hi everyone!

hereicome, thanks for telling me where to find soy products in the store. I really will check that out.

Kina - congrats on the pounds lost! I really don't know how to advise to accelerate your loss, because you are already exercising daily, I believe - and you even added laps and weights, which is what I would have suggested. I think your shake is fine for one meal; obviously it is working for you.

It sure would be fine to win the $ in September, but I would also keep in mind that even if muscle weighs more, it takes up less space than a pound of fat. So that's where the smaller size shows. And yes, firmer. So it would be a bummer if you "lost out" to someone who lost more poundage, but you would be the "winner" because you were smaller and fitter!

Jacklyn, good for you for doing the Firm tapes! I tried one or two, and I think they are quite challenging. You also did alot of yard work!

I think I am now at 160 - the silly scales still blip back and forth but they haven't blipped over 160, so I believe that is what it is! I really don't know what to put as a next goal - I mean, I remember being less than 140 when I got married 22 years ago, but don't know what I should be now. I think I'll be like Kina and say "And then we'll see..."

Have a great night, keep exercising, eating right, drinking water, having fun!

Holly
176 2/02/02
160 6/22/02
going for lower - ?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #115  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi, everyone. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have kept at my routine. I have come up to another challenge and hopefully will over come that hurdle soon. The problem is in the powder room . I have not been so regular and since I have gained a pound. I have increased my water, and added more fiber to my diet. I just hope it passes soon.

I have to say I am very proud of myself. I mark my calendar daily a check mark if I do my exercise and an X if I don't. I have a check mark on every day of last week. I was so happy. I hope to do the same this week. I really think that this exercising thing has become a part of my everyday life.

TTYL. Bye.
Kinarina
Old 06-24-2002, 08:00 PM   #116  

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is staying on track!

Me...unfortunately its the same thing. I still exercise on a daily basis, but I cannot get my eating under control!! I dont really binge or anything like that but I overeat to the point that I know that I will not ever lose weight if I keep this up. Help!!

I dont know, tomorrow is a new day right? Hey some good news, I added some interval running/jogging to my daily walk and feel pretty good about it. Maybe that'll rev up the metabolism! Everyone have a great day!
Old 06-24-2002, 08:37 PM   #117  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Talking I C U

Haaaaalllllloooooooooooooooooo everyone. You are definitely correct Jacklyn. Interval training is a sure way to get theat metabolism pumped! I do interval training with Denise Austin and feel fired up afterwards. I also do the interval training with my walking/jogging as well. It is really good for the heart also.

Bad eating habits...hmmm I know exactly how you feel. I used to have those bad eating habits and would you believe we went to the movies the other day and I said no to popcorn, pickles, candies, well I did sip on sprite but I was thirsty. I think next time I will take water in my purse. But you know I think it is within ourselves to make better choices. I used to eat an amount like you I knew would never amount to any weight loss. But then I made a deal with myself. I won't give up any foods as long as I don't over eat at any of my sittings. I still occasionally eat pizza, hamburgers, fries, and all the other NO NO's. I just don't eat as much. I still fulfill the craving and my tastebuds but I know if I want to lose weight I am going to have to give in somewhere other than exercise. Otherwise I would have to exercise around the clock to knock off all these added calories I am eating. Talk to yourself let yourself know what you want and find out together how you are going to achieve the things you want. Call a truce like I did and everybody will be happy. I know I like myself a whole lot more now that I am not playing tug-o-war with myself.

I know I sound like a mad woman but it has helped me alot. It cant' hurt to try it. Lots of Luck to you.
Kinarina
Old 06-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #118  
Biker Chick!

Hello everyone!

Kina, thanks for posting your photo! You look too young to have 4 kids! Very nice photo.

Our vacationing Nancy posted her photo a couple of months ago; and I posted one of me on the 'cycle; but they're the only others of our group. Oh yes - and aphil's wonderful costume photos.

Congrats to you for the daily exercise, You're right, if it is a habit now that is fantastic. Just like brushing your teeth - something we have to do.
I really like your phrase of "calling a truce" about settling cravings for no-no's . How true. I have a single Drake's coffeecake (single serving size) that I have been eating on for two days now. And I have a smidgen left for tomorrow to go with my morning coffee. Just having the taste if fine for me now, instead of engulfing one and wanting 3 more.

Jacklyn, it's probably so hard for you to not see the scale drop even with all the exercising you do. Do you need stern reminders from someone, like your husband - or would that make you say "hey! I'll have it if I want it!" (that's what I would say, I think ). Or is it the thought of restricting yourself that makes you want more? Can you try having a filling green salad before your lunch or dinner; would that help? It does for me. I've also become the green bean queen - they're low in calories, have vitamins, and are bulky and fibrous. Oh yeah, baby!

I bought a package of "Smart Dogs" (soy) and a pound of textured veggie protein in a tube at the store - my husband was so suspicious. I had to reassure him that I would let him and our son know if I sneaked any of it into our meals. Ha!

I realized that it was time for me to measure, and even though it's difficult to measure yourself accurately each time, here's what I've lost since Feb 4 and finding all you great people:

From 176 to 160 - 16 pounds
Bust -2 1/2 "
Waist -2 1/2 "
Hips -1 1/2"
Thighs -1" each
Upper arms -1" each
Calf same-oh well

And strength gained! I had a close call with almost dropping the motorcycle today, but held it with help of stronger arms and thighs. Yah!

Have a great night and a terrific day tomorrow!

Holly 176/160/160 1st mini-goal
next goal - ? maybe 155?

Last edited by VermontMom; 06-24-2002 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:39 PM   #119  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Oooh, do be careful with the motor cycle Holly. My dad is a big man and he had a motor cycle over power him and it fell on his leg and punctured his calf. I was a little girl when it happened so I couldn't do much for helping. All I remember was sitting next to him and asking if he was okay. Ever since I have the highest respect for motor cycles and never have gotten on one. Just be careful.

You know you asked great questions about the eating habits. I hope that these pointers will help you Jacklyn. But I think Vermontmom has this weight loss in control a whole better than I do. I was up 2 pounds this morning and have been dwelling on it all day. But it is a good dwelling because I watched what I ate and have been doing my exercises. As a matter of fact I have a date with Denise Austin to get 3 workouts 1st session a bun overhaul, 2nd get those arms pumping, and 3rd session hips, thighs, and buttocks all rolled into one workout. I don't know whatelse to do to get that scale going in the right direction. But I have to say something positive before I go...even though it seems like a lot of exercising none of it feels like a chore not anymore.

TTYL! Kinarina
Old 06-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #120  

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your advise on the eating issue. I really think that I just need a firm kick in the butt! The good news is that my husband has decided to go back on his diet so maybe that'll help. My biggest problem is that I'll be doing fine then we decide to go out to eat and WHAMMO! I eat what ever I want. Although the hubbie going on a diet will surely help, I really need to learn to deal with this! What am I supposed to do...never go out to eat again?? Yeah, right.

And I have stopped listening to my body. Like last night...I was completely full but my mind kept wandering to the twinkies in the kitchen. Needless to say, we are now one less in the box.

Today I am doing good so far. I did my 3 mile run/walk and did it in about 45 minutes, so a pretty good pace. Then after about an hour rest I did my Yoga tape. Tonight I am going to try to lift some light weights for my arms. They don't seem to be showing any of the positive effects from the exercise so I am going to try to focus on them. I would really like to lose 1 measly pound this week!! If I can just stick to the program for 3 1/2 more days until my weigh in on Saturday, I am hoping that will get me back on track.

I'll check in later...I know I've been bad about posting but I get so tired of writing....well, I screwed up again. So my focus is to be able to write a positive post tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Oh yeah...Holly Congrats on your loss!! Your dedication is really paying off!
Closed Thread