General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #61  

I'm back after my brief posting earlier today I am starting to write a food journal to help keep me on track. Hopefully it will give me some insight. I am really trying to make what I eat full of vitamins and make healthier choices. Been eating alot more fruits and veggies and drinking LOTS of water.

Went to the lake on Monday and felt pretty good. I haven't shown a loss in a while but I am definitely more comfortable in my body. I am also slowly beginning to accept ME rather than the idealistic 120 pounder I would like to be. Its funny how a little bit of excercise can make you feel good about yourself

I am really going to focus on eating a well balanced diet the rest of this week and remain within my calorie range. Then...the results will be in Saturday! I would love to break back into the 40's again! It's been a long time!! Hope everyone's doing well! Pamela its good to hear from you! Glad to hear you are doing better!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #62  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hey everyone -

Sounds like we're all doing great! Melisa, how cool that your pants are bagging out after only two weeks!!! What a great feeling!

Jacklyn, keeping a food journal will probably be really helpful. You've got the walking down to an ingrained habit; focusing on good food choices will make you so in-shape.

I'm one to preach - my weakness is drifting towards a bowl of cereal or anything I can scavenge...but I'm trying!

Have a great night to all others!!!

Holly
176/163/160 1st mini-goal
Old 06-06-2002, 12:32 AM   #63  

Thumbs down Hello Everyone

HI friends,,,,

Well a quick post to say hello to everyone and hope all is well.

We had a safe trip to Illinois,,,2800 miles from our front door to my sisters in Illinois. (my butt is so flat from sitting) it has been great so far,,cant wait to tell you all about it.

We will be heading on to Texas in about 2 weeks, then Colorado and then home to Canada. We should be home about mid-July.. Ill be able to write more and read the posts when I am at my sons house.

I hope everyone is doing just great and and feeling good.

Got my hair cut yesterday.....feels so good to have a nice haircut again... I think I may have even lost some weight from that....

Take care you guys,,,,,keep smiling I miss you all...

Nancy
ps: We have been eating out way to much.........UGH!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 11:13 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes...now that I read through, I do remember a few of you...glad you are all still here and that you appreciate the work I am doing...
Congrats on the baby! Is your morning sickness really bad? My mom is a nurse, and she said most women who have it REALLY bad usually have girls...because the added female hormones on top of the excess you have being pregnant anyway...that is why some people get queasy when they start birth control or hormone replacement thereapy also...it held true for me...I was sicker thana dog with my daughter, and I took like 6 tests for my son, because I felt great, and could not fathom I could be pregnant!
One trick I did learn-is to cut up a lemon adn keep it in a ziploc bag-take it with you! Open it up and smell it if you get queasy in public-it overpowers any food or smell that is making you sick!
I am getting back into better habits slowly...with all of the stress of the past few months, I was pretty much an eating ogre...
I am trying to balance my new duties at TFN with a healthier life...I am a stress eater by nature...
I am still busy with costuming...not just with SW but others as well-Dragonslayer, Harry Potter, Ever After, etc...
I have done reasonably well the past few days-here are some of my diet faves for the sugar addict....I have no problem avoiding fried foods-it is the sugar I have the problem with...
Popsicle brand sugar free fudgesicles...only 40 calories, and do not taste sugar free at all!
Diet root beer
WW frozen fiesta chicken
Wonder Light bread-wheat-only 40 calories a slice, and lots of fiber!
frozen bananas-peel some, put in ziploc bags whole-YUMMY!! 100 calories, and a fruit serving-a great sub for ice cream
tropical fruit salad-pineapple chunks in juice with a sliced banana mixed in...
Well, better go! Have a good day everyone!
Aphil
Old 06-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #65  

Hey everybody!

I did my food journal yesterday and stuck to my plan. YEAH!! The only problem is that I didn't eat enough calories. I ended up eating below 1100 for the day. I had saved up so I could have a snack in the evening. I was going to eat an apple with some peanut butter on it but I sat down on the couch and next thing you know...ZZZZZZZZZZ

I know that I need to eat at least 1200 per day. I definitely don't want to slow my metabolism or set myself up for a major binge Good thing is this journal is helping me keep track of the things I eat. For example I know that I need to get more calcium so I have been attempting to make little changes. It'll pay off eventually, right??

Hope everyone is doing well. Check in later!
Old 06-07-2002, 08:52 AM   #66  

Good morning everyone!

I am happy to report that I will begin day 3 of my journal and healthy eating. It has really helped! I haven't gone over my calorie range and I am definitely making healthier choices. I have made an effort to snack on fruits rather than "empty calories" and I have been able to pull it off. It really helps to see in writing what I am eating and where I can improve.

FYI, I dont know if any of you read the Shape magazine, but I have a subscription to it and July's issue is pretty good. It has an article about "how to lose fat and gain muscle in your 20s, 30s or 40s". It breaks it down through the fifties about what exercises are best and what your goals should be. For example, in your fifties, the major stress is on bone and muscle loss and shows you some moves and tips to prevent it. Pretty interesting stuff and steers you away from just weight loss by looking at the overall picture of your health.

This summer I'm thinking of backing my walking up to 3 miles a day and adding some other excercises. My friend does the Firm tapes and swears by them. Have any of you heard of any other tapes that would be good?

Better get back to work! Everyone have a great day! Nancy, it was good to hear from you! Have a safe and happy trip!
Old 06-07-2002, 09:30 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all

Jacklyn, sounds like you're doing great! You'll be in the 140's in no time! (and ill be jealous )

Aphil, thanks for the congrats.. my morning sickness is bad in MY opinion but from what I've heard, its actually more on the tolerable level I feel nauseous daily, worst in the morning but I don't actually get sick. When I was pregnant with my daughter (who is almost 3 1/2 now so i dont remember so well anymore) I only got sick like 3 times so I consider myself lucky in a way. I heard about lemon helping.. lemons, lemon candy, lemonade. Also heard ginger helps.. ginger snaps and ginger ale.. I'll have to stock up on it all at the grocery store and see what helps! Last time it ended after the first trimester so I hope this one follows that pattern. I've heard of poor souls who have m/s for the ENTIRE pregnancy.. I'd die! Unfortunately, in order to keep myself feeling okay, I've been having to eat every 2 hours or so. Last pregnancy I only gained 24 lbs... at this rate, this time it'll be twice that.. yikes!

Hope everyone else is doing well...

Christine

Last edited by silence; 06-07-2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:58 PM   #68  
Biker Chick!

Good evening all!

Jacklyn, how great that your food journaling is so helpful. I guess it really does help to see it all in black and white, instead of what we might hazily remember having.

Hey, Nancy, great to hear from you!! Gosh, I guess I didn't realize your trip was going to be so long. We miss you!

I had two boys, so I guess I had it "easy" with the m/s. Except when I would go into work (restaurant) at 6:00 am, and have to smell the veal stock which was simmering all night - HORRIBLE!

I'm a little apprehensive that I haven't been walking like I was about a month ago - it's dwindled to 3 or 4 X a week instead of every day. I have been doing my exercise tapes daily, however.

Jacklyn, a great website for exercise tapes is www.collage.com - you can preview and read reviews of the tapes to get an idea of them - they also have a super catalogue you can request. One of my faves is the Gilad Step and Tone, but it's long - an hour. I save that for my days off - my regular routine is only 30 minutes. That's the one I do at 5:40 a.m.

Aphil, I remember when I first came to this site - I didn't even know how many calories to go for. You so helpfully broke it down into meal and snack allotments. Now it's so automatic to do.

Well, I should go for a nice long walk now - I know I won't have time tomorrow, as I'm working a double (stashing some cash for my leather jacket - the motorcycle riding progresses s-l-o-w-l-y, like my pounds off! )

Take care and have a great evening!

Holly
Old 06-07-2002, 06:23 PM   #69  

Well ladies I gained .4 of a pound ! I want my 5 pound ribbon. But i know I am gonna have to work for it. I need to stay focused so far so good , we are going to Frontier City tommrow (which is like Six Flags) so send me some willpower!
good luck to all and stay
Old 06-08-2002, 11:23 AM   #70  

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the info Holly, I'll definitely check that website out!

Hope everyone is doing okay. I was doing fine until last night. Stayed within my calorie range all day, then went out to eat last night and had a couple of beers (still within my calorie range) then WHAM....next thing you know I'm stuffing a chocolate covered, cream filled doughnut in my face!.....among other things. I dont drink very much but I am thinking about cutting it out entirely not only because of the empty calories but it seems that if I drink just one or two drinks, I lose my will power easily.

We are going to a party tonight and I am not going to drink anything alcoholic because if I do...next thing you know I will have pulled a chair up to the layout of food and graze all night

Gotta get started on my day...check in later!
Old 06-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #71  

Jacklyn, I hear you about the beer. I used to drink and then come home and eat an entire meal after already having my dinner hours earlier. I'd honestly say that I lost 75% of my weight just by cutting out alcohol almost completely.

Dawna, that's not a bad weight gain from being on vacation. Good for you. I bet it will come off very easily for you.

Holly, I hope you get that leather jacket that you want. You've worked hard and you deserve it.

Christine, If you feel better eating every 2 hours then go for it. You are wiser this time around and I'm sure you'll make the right choices in your food intake. Let us know how you make out with the insurance issue.

Nancy, I didn't realize that you'd be gone so long either. I hope you have a great time and keep in touch.

To everyone else, hang tough and keep up the good work.

As for me, I'm absolutely in awe. I can't believe I'm this far down in weight. A yr ago I never would have believed I could achieve so much. If I can do it, anyone can. Once I get back into exercising again, I should be doing even better.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:57 PM   #72  
Biker Chick!

Hi ladies -

I had to post a "victory over ice cream" - my husband and younger son were "dying" for some dessert - they went out and bought a half-gallon of ice cream. As nicely as I could, I declined and went for a walk instead. I know the ice cream is still there in the freezer, but I'll repeat my mantra - "just because it's there, doesn't mean I have to eat it!"

Speaking of ice cream, my husband worked for Ben & Jerry's for 10 years - and believe it or not, employees get to take home 3 free pints of ice cream a day! Unfortunately, we did take advantage of that for a long time...we have a big upright freezer and for a time it was STUFFED with B & J's, all varieties...that's as bad a situation for a sweet-lover like me as having free liquor to an alcoholic. No wonder I gained weight hand-over-fist (or spoon-to-mouth). We finally had to just agree for him not to bring it home - if we wanted ice cream, we would buy cheap store brand. Besides the weight, the thought of the cholesterol was too scary.

As I have tomorrow off, it's the day I do my long exercise tape - one hour. But I feel so virtuous after doing it!

Hello to

Christine (how are you feeling today?), Melisa (you have lost 61 pounds - you are amazing, inspired, dedicated, the adjectives go on!) jacklyn (good luck at the party!)Dawna (keep plugging away, results will show soon!)t-girl (how are things with you?)tryin'hard (you must be busy with end-of-school-year stuff)Kanola (I hope your dad is doing well)Pamela (hope you're feeling great with baby #2) the travelin' Nancy (think of your hard work you've already done, and keep going!)aphil (thanks for the low-calorie ideas) and Sprite are you still with us?

Whew! Have a great evening and a super Sunday!

Holly
176/163/160 1st mini-goal, hopefully soon
Old 06-09-2002, 12:02 AM   #73  

Hi Everybody!

Glad everyone seems to be doing so well. I am way behind reading these posts and hope someday I will have the time to do it. Holly thank you for remembering me in your posts even after all this time, it helps. I lost 3 pounds the first week of school and have kept that off but have not lost any since. I am so tired after school that I do not have the energy to exercise.

Take care everyone and will write more when I have time.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:27 PM   #74  
Biker Chick!

Hi everyone

Good to hear from you, Sprite! You must be so busy. Don't get too worn out!

Hope everyone is having as gorgeous a day as it is here. Breezy, warm, big puffy clouds against blue sky - winter is now just an unpleasant memory.

I did my l-o-n-g Gilad tape this morning; felt good. I can tell a difference in how I execute the moves, from four months ago - I can do them with MUCH better form and control, and that's a good feeling.

Have a great day/evening!

Holly
Old 06-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #75  

Holly, MMMMMM Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey!!!! That's my favorite. I used to eat it all the time. I used to reward myself with it for every 10 lbs lost. That was the last time I lost weight. Not this time. This time I reward myself with non-food items. It's working out much better. I did have some chunky monkey about 2 months ago and you know what..........it wasn't as good as the feeling I get when I see the weight that I lost. Plus it took me a week to eat it instead of a day. Too bad I didn't learn to do that sooner. 3 free pints a day!!?!! That would have been dangerous for the old me. I'd have to try all the different kinds........and then start all over again. I bet I could have ate a pint a day seven days a week. Good for you for passing up ice cream and going for a walk. All that nice stuff you said about me.........Right back at ya!!!

Sprite, It is good to hear from you again. I hope you will be posting and sharing as soon as school is out.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend.
Keep up the good work.
Melisa
Closed Thread