Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #106  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 8 Credit!

It was a very long day today yet I followed my plan except I had to substitute a sensible breakfast at work because I never made it back home from homedepot. Instead, DH dropped me off as he headed to the project with our purchased lumber. I did not snack, although the sign is just in my mind now, and I rethought a possible dinner out and instead cooked what I had planned. Credit.

I'm posting from my iPhone as its bedtime for me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Good evening coaches

I have factored in more calories today but it was good to see a half pound drop this morning. I was also a little sore from yesterday so must have worked harder than normal and be developing some muscle! When I was reviewing my response and advantages cards yesterday I also looked at my memory box. I saw one from January 2011 that said "I never want to feel like this ever again" - unfortunately I didn't include enough information to know what I meant (not to self - be clear and explicit). I have created quite a few new memories over the last few weeks:
I have walked out on the street with the dogs in comfort for the first time since about 2010
I have joined a gym again because I feel able to engage with it
I have started rehab with a personal trainer
Walked from staff carpark and saved $17, and (taa daa)
I have stopped prednisolone

I have been reducing prednisolone at 1/2 a mg per month and this week I have stopped it. Sure, I feel every joint in my body, but it is bearable. My mood is a little more affected but I can probably deal with it. It is amazing the impact of long term steroids on weight and mood. I am still on other meds which affect weight but I am hoping my symptoms stay stable so I can stay off the prednisolone. I see the rheumatologist next week and hopefully all is well with bloods and I can stay off them.

Credits: Exercise was walking the dogs and incidental exercise - only 7000 steps (at work today), Food on plan: posted to list; weighed and logged weight; ate sitting down - 90%

I have ended up late again so good night coaches
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Abraham Lincoln's Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner included baby broccoli with garlic that was especially good. DW believes that we get different goodness from different veggies so she tries new ones at Whole Foods periodically. This is a keeper. Eating was on plan, including snacks, so CREDIT moi and streak to 84.

Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi, over the snow that's been here for a week with no sign of melting and getting dirty. Also walked in Home Depot perusing each isle because that's my kind of shopping fun. Came home with the Stabil that I needed for the gas for my new snow thrower as well as a 60 watt-equivalent LED bulb that was on sale for $7. Our compact fluorescent front porch light doesn't work on cold nights; I'm hoping this does better. Incandescents did have the desirable feature of instant on at any temperature. R.I.P. incandescents.

onebyone – Sounds like two solid plans. "Crunches and the plank" are serious stuff. I hate them both - most likely because they're just what my body really needs.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So many situations would benefit from "No, I'm doing this other thing" instead of just "No, suck it up." [My thingy would work as a pencil holder; hadn't thought of that. My hair is too short for a bun.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "I did not snack." I felt a tad of rabbit-in-the-briar-patch happiness reading "never made it back home from homedepot" until I figured out that you didn't stay there.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Congrats on the progress you've made with your body - sorta breathtaking.

FutureFitChick – Congrats for finally fixing your computer. The little buggers are supposed to be making our lives easier, not adding distress. Kudos for food on plan. I have used McAfee in the past and became disillusioned. Thanks Wiki for a nifty picture of your Shiba Inu.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for accepting hunger during your real life yesterday. Good to hear that it can be tolerated. [LOL at the memory of "science oven" in American Hustle.]

AZtricia - Eset Nod32 is pushed by the local computer store. They say it's the best.

flnu - Procrastination is a welcome topic. If you want, you can start a separate thread similar to the decluttering thread. I'm a candidate to join, when I get around to it, LOL. Kudos for meal planning via "my own constraints" - we each gotta find the way that works for us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

You'll then be able to turn your attention to other things, and the hunger pangs will gradually diminish. If you've never allowed yourself to feel hungry or very hungry you might not believe me when I tell you that if you're hungry and don't respond immediately by eating, they your hunger will definitely subside.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 121.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Credits: - checked my food plan before having an evening snack to make sure I did have the space for it; making myself disengage from a busy and fun work day to make myself a healthy wholesome lunch and pick up the fresh ingredients I needed for dinner; plating dinner again to keep kids on track with portions and eating veggies

Food ? 100 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? yes ; Drank 2L water? yes ; Went to bed on time? yes ; Streak count: 3

Had such a great day today. I have a logistical jigsaw puzzle to put together and a whole lot of pieces just slotted together beautifully today. I was anxious about it all and now I am just excited to see the project coming to fruition. I am really liking this daily schedule i have going on - it is really helping me draw lines between work and home life - and also meaning I am spending time on important non-urgent work tasks that always get pushed to the side.

flnu - yay for using Beck strategies for overcoming procrastination. The thread you were referring to was probably the one I started about 2 months ago - I have since moved it over to a different forum that is all about money. I am finding the Beck strategies incredibly helpful in overcoming my LONG history of overspending. Hope you find they are helpful for getting on top of procrastination as well. And I think your “spending 30 minutes on it” plan is great. Only thought I had is - could you make that before you even open your email? Email has an astonishing capacity to suck you in. I have recently adopted an approach of having an hour (sometimes two) each day when I deal with email. When other timing permits I do it straight after lunch when my brain is flat anyway. I have switched off all the alerts etc so I’m not lured back into that world. Seems to be working OK so far.

National parker - how great to hear that the 170 line is not dragging you back any longer well done you!

Seadwaters - yay to getting off prednilosone!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #110  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi All!

I'm seeing my internet slowing to a crawl already so I'm going to try and squeeze a quick post in.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 9 Credit!

Reading through posts and hearing so much positive progress alaBeck I want to sit and spend time replying to everyone this morning. Unfortunately, I know (from experience) that I won't hold a connection for long enough. Just know it is such a help for me to share my daily experiences with you all. I will try to get back here if I'm able.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #111  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in! I'm with Lexxiss -- I love reading how everyone is doing today and having this place to post my progress, as well. Progress that I'm very pleased with at the moment.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 9 Credit!

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +50 550/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #112  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Our whole plans for a romantic early Valentine's evening were kaput as DH's car battery was dead and he couldn't go pick up our dog from his folks. So we headed out to get a replacement battery, then on to get our pooch, and tried to make the best dinner option for a to-go meal from a pretty fast food-ish sleection... Home after 9 p.m., and I relaxed with Enough Said.

Scale is still slowly dropping - back at ticker. Funny how much more pleasant it is to get on and see it reflect what I think is hard work.

Plans were moved to today for our nice dinner out, so I'm looking forward to that yet AGAIN.

Read DH's work schedule wrong, and purchased tickets for Defending The Caveman and now need to see if they would possibly bypass their no cancellations/changes policy. I hate to be "that" person who calls, but I also hate to lose that much $$ on his ticket.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.

I never made it to my nap yesterday, so I got a late start this morning. I was down a bit on the scale this morning. I only tracked breakfast yesterday. I sat while I ate. I watched TV at dinner, but did leave some food on my plate at meals.

Computer finally is fixed. I am caught up on email and my planning so, the afternoon will be for writing. YIPPEE!

Here's a picture of foster pup. He is about 10 years old, so he has a little bit of grey.

AZTricia, I have seen that powder, but haven't been able to get to a pet store (because of not being able to drive) since we got him. I'll keep that software in mind when I am a little calmer after this fiasco! I had used McAfee because my university had "free" downloads. I didn't know that meant it would cause me 3 days of lost productivity. That was expensive!

BillBlueEyes, I'm glad you enjoyed baby broccoli. I'll be interested in your LED light success. My husband and I had that same conversation three days ago about the outdoor CSLs.

ForMyGirls, great job on staying on track with your plan and taking time for lunch. Projects that come together like that are artful and comforting!

Lexxiss, great job for sticking to your plan!

NationalParker, sorry you are up against such cold upon your return from vacation. I'm glad you were able to bust out of the 170s! Awesome job on the hunger experiment. That was really tough for me the 1st time.

OnebyOne, I'm glad you've got a plan!

SeaDWaters, I am so excited to lear about your NSVs! That is awesome! Those were exciting to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0115.jpg (37.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #114  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile evening

Coaches, hello.

Tried to weigh myself this morning but the Wii fit controllers were both dead as the Caesar Cat loves to knock them off the table to the floor. Glad to find they weren't broken, just out of juice. Weigh in will be tomorrow.

Foodwise: improvements. Cooking from scratch. No seconds. No sugar.

Exercise: didn't feel great today. Yesterday felt worse so maybe I've dodged something. No formal exercise today.

I did discover I neglected my bay laurel tree! Crap! I think it's really dead which is an awful first for me. But at least if it is gone I'll have very fresh bay leaves for soup.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #115  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,
Wednesday "Pizza Day" again, and I forgot to pack my veggie sides! This time I told myself I could wait till I got home...and I did
Eating OP+
Exercise OP
ARC's still need to read, but dh is on that computer

nationalparker
Brrr! Y'all are cold! Saw on FB that it was -20 where we use to live in Indiana. SO do not miss that. Congrats on the lost weight. Hope you enjoyed your meal out. Bummer about the battery and hope you are able to fix the tickets.

onebyone Congrats for choosing a food plan and committing to tracking!

Lexxiss
Kudos for your streak of 8 and being flexible by choosing a sensible breakfast.

seadwaters Hurray for 1/2 lb gone. Hope you are less sore today. LOVED your list of memories, so encouraging! Congrats on 7000 steps.

BillBlueEyes Yum for the baby broccoli and variety from Whole Foods. We purchased some funny spikey green cauliflower like stuff there that everyone loved, but the store doesn't have anymore right now...it was super cool looking.
Found it, romanesco, with logarithmic spirals/fractals:

ForMyGirls
Congrats for checking your plan before eating and eating a wholesome lunch. Great job on tripling your streak!

Lexxiss Good to see you Great job on your streak of 9!

gardenerjoy Whoohoo for 9, hope your breaks are working for you.

FutureFitChick
Hurray for fixed computer, the doggie is a cutie. Congrats on the food improvements, hope you feel back at 100% tomorrow.

Last edited by AZtricia; 02-12-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #116  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Another late night without personals.

I was OP throughout the day--but munched a second order of fries after dinner--after ordering a "petite" burger, no mayo, with a lettuce wrapper. I knew I should have told the server to take the fries away--but I didn't. I thought about doing it--and didn't.

Exercise was great--over 5000 steps (which I finished up by walking around the house including going upstairs twice for no reason at all, although I did discover that DD left her room clean and ready if we need it for a guest room). I also did 45 minutes of Pilates--I think my abs and thighs are going to be sore tomorrow--and that's a good thing.

I am kidding myself if I think I can have anything like fries in front of me and "just have a few".

On the plus side, FitBit is telling me that it looks like I burn 1800-1900 calories a day, and I eat about 1500. If I can continue that even as I lose weight (more active to make up for that there's less of me to carry around), a steady plan of 1800-1900 calories sounds pretty darned do-able!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Evening coaches

I was recounting the memories in my memory box because I was reflecting on them in an attempt to motivate myself. And it was motivating to go and note the achievements and changes that have occurred - so thank you Dr Beck for being so clever. I have to focus on healthful changes and achievements because I am not losing a lot of weight. Unfortunately last night I had an unplanned snack because I got too tired - I had 4 rice crackers with (yet again) avocado and vegemite! Maybe I am experiencing a need for vitamins (B group) but I doubt it. I saw the back surgeon today and I have the all clear - the grafts have healed well and the loss of power in my right leg might improve over time. Especially given the exercise I am doing now.

Today I was 1 pound down. Lowest I have been since before surgery. After my salt laden lunch I imagine it will be up tomorrow so I won't take it seriously. I have thought about food for tomorrow - I am going out for lunch so will eat in an 8 hour window between 12 pm and 8 pm and have a Japanese lunch which should tick all the boxes.

Credits: Exercise was walking the dogs and incidental exercise - only 7000 steps again; food on plan today but last night snack off plan: posted to list; weighed and logged weight; ate sitting down - 100%

BillBE - Broccolini is yummy so glad you found it. Credit streaking to 84
ForMyGirls - Credit for all your credits and a streak to 3. Kudos for creating boundaries that work for you and help you enjoy all aspects of your life
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for a 9 credit streak and hope you get to sit and reflect soon
Joy(gardenerjoy) - Yay for a 9 credit streak as well! I couldn't survive without reading how everyone is progressing too - it keeps me going in the face of little progress
Nationalparker - Sorry for your kaput plans for your romantic evening - hope it works the next night. Yay for a scale that is slowly dropping.
FutureFitChick - Credit for eating while sitting and leaving food on your plate. Glad your computer is functional - life is just not right when the technology is not working! Your fosterr pup looks handsome - enjoy him
OneByOne - cooking from scratch is a huge achievement - all else is not a good substitute so huge credit
Tricia(AZ) - Yay for waiting till home to have the rest of your meal - great resistance to decide to wait. Credit for OP eating and exercise
BethFromDayton - Ouch for a fries attack. Credit for doing more than 5000 steps and working out your calorie expenditure

That's it coaches - I have to turn in
Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two walks, CREDIT moi. The first walk with the sun in my face felt warm despite the 20 F temps. The second in the dark with DW was still comfortable with adequate layers and no wind. It's hard to believe that I'll choose walking today with the "near-blizzard" approaching. My guess is that it's to be a day of snow removal. Nothing happening yet.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks to streak to 85. Evening snack was half a pear - slightly more crisp than we both like, but within the yummy range. On our way home from a lecture last night, with DW suggesting that my dinner would be to choose from any box of cereal in the pantry, we stopped at a Greek place for takeout. I tried their lamb-rice-salad plate. Left half the rice, CREDIT moi since leaving food remains a challenge. Had pecan-pumpkin oatmeal (thanks Trader Joe's) for breakfast to counter the cold. It tweaks the brain for a few minutes, then the stomach for a few hours so it's a good deal.

onebyone – Kudos for "Cooking from scratch. No seconds. No sugar." Ouch for your bay laurel tree.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Yay for progress. By-the-by, what Thesaurus do you recommend? Francine Prose recommends a handy hard copy for serious writing. Amazon flooded me with a dozen choices and I'm stumped. We have a 30 year old one upstairs that I could find, but it won't have 'twerk' or 'selfie' to be sure. (DW suggests that's all for the better, LOL.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hoping you have a spare corner in your yard for all us coastal folks who'll be moving when the sea rises 100 feet. Kudos for continuing your 3W's.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yay for that "all clear" from your surgeon. Kudos for keeping and using your memory box.

FutureFitChick – Welcome Pup! Yay for naps, fixed computers, scale downwards, and being caught up. A good day.

nationalparker – Ouch for a romantic evening replacing a car battery - you won't find such nonsense in a Dickens' novel, LOL. I had love/hate with Enough Said.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Congrats for raising a DD who leaves her room clean for potential guests. Yay for burning 1800-1900 calories a day. Yep, bummer that we need to travel further as we lose weight for the same burn.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for tackling "important non-urgent work tasks" - that box that all the motivational speakers points out that we miss due to the "Urgent, unimportant tasks."

AZtricia - Do I ever need some "romanesco, with logarithmic spirals/fractals" - nice to be reminded that nature invented both spirals and fractals that we're trying to imitate. Kudos for realizing that you could wait till you got home to eat.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

Today's task will help you see that you can tolerate hunger and that it comes and goes. Today or one day very soon (you can choose what works best with your schedule), I'd like you to purposely skip lunch. (Don't do this if a medical condition, such as diabetes, requires you to eat regularly.) Doing so will help you realize that hunger is not an emergency. In fact, I think you'll find it's not nearly as uncomfortable a sensation as you now believe.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 121.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 140/140/60 (kg)

Height: 160cm

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've been using the Beck Diet Solution and I'm just getting started. Yikes. I'm up to Day 6 in the book - even though it's actually taken me longer than that to get there. I'm okay with that for now, as I can already see it's helping me to look at what it is I'm eating. And also helping me unpack some of my excuses and really see them for what they are.

I'm posting here because I need a diet coach. I've been doing a little bit of lurking and can see that on this site we all support each other. It sounds good. I'm a bit too embarrassed to ask friends for support with weight loss because I can just imagine them trying not to roll their eyes and thinking "here we go again!".

Well, I have a lot to lose. I'm currently 140kgs, and I'm only 160cms, so hopefully this program gives me what I need to stick with it for once.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #120  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 10 Credit! I actually wrote my food plan last night while I was making dinner. I looked through my frig/freezer before making a choice. The crew decided on McD's for lunch and I had to buy. At the counter I debated whether or not to partake and decided not. Credit. I did have 3 fries of DH's then walked away in favor of my planned bean burrito and banana. I found it helped that I could peruse the calories on the board while I debated. Wow! Some are pretty high (like I didn't know that already)

littlefatman, Welcome! Yes, this is a very supportive group and I personally feel it's so much easier than asking a friend. I love your line "helping me unpack some of my excuses and really see them for what they are". Yes, it is very helpful.

BBE, greek sounded better than cereal and credit for leaving half your rice! PS I loved your homedepot comment….wishing I could call you up when I need to find something there. It's seeming to be a second home these days. lol.

ForMyGirls, yay for checking your food plan BEFORE having an evening snack! Such a strategy for success!

gardenerjoy, great that you are pleased with your progress right now! Me, too, and I keep remembering that I can look to you if I forget my streak # lol.

nationalparker, glad your post-vacation scale is cooperating and credit for the mindfulness it takes for that to happen!

FutureFitChick, love the pup! (Just wish he'd clean up his act a bit lol). So nice of you to foster an old guy-that's what I'd like to do the next time around. Great job with your plan and with posting.

onebyone, glad your controllers weren't dead. Yay for food improvements!

AZTricia, glad you enjoyed that cauliflower. I keep looking at them but haven't tried yet….perhaps I will now. Kudos for waiting for your veggie sides until you returned home.

Beth(fromDayton
), I'm with ya'….if I leave something sitting odds are that I'll eat it. Removal is essential for me. PS I've noticed my mom, who is 92 and normal weight always keeps eating after she says shes finished/full.

Cheryl(seadwaters), kudos for all your progress forward. I like how you are going back to your memory box for motivation and reminders. Super Yay for your lowest weight yet and for an ok from your back surgeon.
Closed Thread