Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner with DW at a different sushi restaurant than our favorite that's nearby. It's easy to eat on plan with sushi, CREDIT moi. Bought a HUGE pumpkin with perfect stem at Trader Joe's for $3.99 - best pumpkin deal ever. It sits proudly on our front porch declaring our acceptance of Fall.

Only minor exercise as I continued to favor my back and treat it with a heating pad. DW convinced me to dose it with Ibuprofen, which works beautifully to make the pain disappear but worries me that it is masking the problem. My first choice in life is to never take any pill.

onebyone – Clear start, "It stops here." Thanks for the tutorial on orbital bone - I wouldn't have known. Ouch for being in a contest that is based on the size of your Twitter following. Would seem to me that the results would line up by age - youngest first. Nevertheless, I voted today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I love using the big shop vac - since I can easily see progress. Kudos for meeting your ha-month exercise goal.

Beth (bethFromDayton)"10 lbs worth of sloppy joes" 'slotta sloppy joes, LOL. Kudos for making better choices at Sam's Club. Must cogitate on "partying all weekend is tiring."

ForMyGirls - Ouch for the heartbreak of learning how this health stuff weighs on the youngsters. Kudos for taking that leap and then for the "active play and healthy food."

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Do creative problem solving. The dieters I've worked with have come up with a number of strategies to reduce environmental triggers. . . .

. . .Maria, a teenager, asked her parents to keep all of the junk food in a special box in the broom closet.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 91.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

I had a rare glass of wine (off-plan) last night and got a big drop on the scale to a new low for the month. Huh. I assume the credit goes to being on plan yesterday and walking twice, not the wine.

WI: -0.35kg, Exercise: +50 770/1400 minutes for October, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm not much of a pill taker, either, but I do like anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen & aspirin & naproxen. I feel like they reduce swelling that I can't even see and make things better, faster. And, if they help the pain, that's good, too.

onebyone: glad to have you back!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our thread here on 3 Fat Chicks?
I've been loitering with intent to lurk for several years. I think I found this site when I lost 85# the first time, in the early 2000s. As for the books, I can't remember how I discovered them. That was about this time last year. I've been sort of dabbling - which, of course, she strongly recommends against. At the same time, though, I've begun to build some practices (not habits yet) that, when I do them, work very well. It's also been helpful to reacquaint myself with how it feels when I'm operating on 1500 cal/day - sustainable for me.

As of this morning, down to 187.2 Credit for the past 3 days: Advantages, responses, weight every day, tracking all, planning dinner (one of my "need to work on"s). I messed up today, though, and forgot my lunch, and work in a building smack in the middle of a lunch drought, and waited too long. Perfect storm of getting too hungry and not planning.

I haven't yet done the "don't eat for a day" test. Frankly I'm resisting it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #109  
Catthill

S/C/G: 303/197/170

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone

I see they changed my name. I'm now CatHill.

This is day 3 and it was hard. Previously i ate most of my meals in a recliner with some in the car or on the go. Eating at a table, slowly with no TV or reading was hard. but i did it and noticed I didn't eat as much. Mindless eating was my norm so eating at table will be a big change for me.
one day down, life long to go.

Nancy
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Struggling to make it through the workweek without major amounts of stress eating. Achieved so far, but with a few small blips. Credit for not eating all of my stress ... just a bit of it. Haven't had time to check in much, but still aiming to stay on track. Dinner planned was soup and crusty french bread and stuck with that, along with cooked carrots from last night. Enjoyed my portion of warm bread - savored it. I disagree with whoever said Man cannot live by bread alone. I'd give it a whirl.

Very busy day at work tomorrow and have plenty planned for the weekend - DH is working Saturday, but then off on Sunday. I'd like to alternately relax and get things done. Can't make up my mind.

Brief check in again. Hope to catch up solidly on Saturday morning.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #111  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food was OP today--just as I planned it, with the swap of some banana for some of my strawberries for dinner. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home--and the bananas looked so good, so I got a few. (It's a good thing when my "impulse" shopping is done in the produce section!)

I was a bit uncomfortably full after dinner--but didn't realize it while eating my measured portions. I sat there and wanted an ice cream treat--even though I was definitely full. I talked through it with my husband--and did not have a treat--then, or later in the evening. I don't know why I wanted one--but I talked myself down from it--thanks gardenerjoy--concentrating on what I was going to do (talk it out with DH) worked--even if I don't have a clue as to why I wanted something not on plan when I wasn't even hungry.

I cooked up 10 lbs of ground beef and made sloppy joes--I did taste it while cooking (essential for flavor) but was quite controlled about it.

Breakfast is planned for tomorrow. My work team is going out to lunch to a place I don't know anything about but looked up their menu and have picked out something that OP.

Food goes a bit crazy starting with dinner tomorrow--another one of those weekend long parties--and this one is at my house. There will be 19 of us, with 11 people staying over (besides DH and me). I am not ready--practically speaking, or mentally speaking, in terms of food. I feel as if I should stop entertaining if I want to stay on track. But I can do this--I have done it--and all these foods will exist even after this weekend. I didn't do any baking myself, so didn't have that temptation.

Take care, all.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Continuing with Ibuprofen per the directions on the bottle. The back continues to mend. Slowly. I walk like a ninety year old - it's good for the damping the ego, LOL.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, except for extra snacks. Ouch again. DW bought home the remains of a cake and offered me a slice. I accepted. In my better days I'd have refused.

onebyone – Waving. Voted today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on the new low for the month whether or not caused by rare wine.

nationalparker – LOL at "I'd give it a whirl" to living on bread alone. Yep, especially if it's crusty French bread.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Eleven house guests is a challenge - are you thinking of starting a B&B, LOL? Kudos for working out your 'hunger' for an ice cream treat with your DH.

Nancy (CattHill) - "Mindless eating was my norm" - does that ever sound familiar. Just the act of having one eating place, instead of wherever one happens to be, seems to be a big step forward - Kudos for taking that step.

anakin - Kudos for three days of getting it all together. Yep, the order seems to be to create practices and them they become habits. The day of testing hunger just requires skipping lunch so there is a large gap between breakfast and dinner. It's an eye opener for most of us to learn that it isn't so difficult.

Readers -
Quote:

Do creative problem solving. The dieters I've worked with have come up with a number of strategies to reduce environmental triggers. . . .

. . .Meg had to be inventive. Her husband loved to eat potato chips and other snack foods. When she mentioned that she really wanted these foods out of the house, he wasn't willing to give them up. So they came to a compromise: He kept the snack foods in his car instead of in the kitchen. He also agreed to buy just one bagel at a time for himself and not keep extras in the freezer.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 92.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

Can I ask two questions? I promise I've looked around before asking.

1. Why are decluttering threads in with the Beck Diet threads? I mean, what's the connection?
2. What are some different ways you all set goals? For example, I noticed BethFromDayton, you have very methodical goals.

I took some time this morning to do some food planning, which meant that I did not forget my lunch. It's really interesting to me that practices - good or bad - have a way of snowballing.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

I chose well at a restaurant for lunch, even though I hadn't seen a menu in advance. I wrote "salad" on my plan, so I only looked at the Salad section on the menu. I got a lovely autumn salad with apples, goat cheese, and a variety of salad greens (some of them actually red).

WI: -0.25kg, Exercise: +55 825/1400 minutes for October, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

bethFromDayton: so glad that the strategy worked -- I love "talk it out with DH" as a strategy.

anakin: For many of us, the Beck habits, somewhere along the way start carrying over into other baggage in our life, particularly clutter. The clutter conversation happened so often on this thread that onebyone started a separate thread for us.
Day 10 talks about setting a realistic goal -- and then Beck tells you exactly what it is! 5 pounds (when you reach that goal, of course, you can set it again).
I set a monthly goal for how many minutes I will exercise. That works really well for me, because it allows for some inconsistencies with time to catch up. It was also easy to ramp up by 10% each month when I was increasing my exercise.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight was two pounds below ticker and then I stepped on the scale again (something Beck tells me not to do) and then it was one pound below ticker. Drat! Serves me right. Why did I do that? In part I just don't trust that if I eat correctly , I will lose. Part of me still thinks it is "magic" that has gotten me to this stage of weightless.

Day is Planned. Food is in MFP. Pilates scheduled.

Welcome, Anakin. I 100% agree that if I stayed "tuned in" to what I am eating by logging it I eat much better even when I log a binge. It is falling off the grid that is the most damaging."

Newlifestyle: Virginia is beautiful. I have stayed in Arlington quite a bit.

ForMyGirls: The beach sounds like a dream. I love all the opportunities to be outside and active. It reminds me what my body is actually for.

Lexxiss: i admire you so much for keeping "First Things First" when all of life is demanding your time and attention.

BBE: Atticus is looking over my shoulder as I post and he says, "Hi."

National Parker: Credit for the commitment to walk even without your DH. I know it always gives you a boost.

Ceejay: I know I have said it often. It is not how many times I slip off plan. It is how quickly I hop back on that has made the diference.

Onebyone: Credit for coming back and refusing to give in.

gardenerjoy: I always laugh when I slip off plan and have a big drop. It is the devil messing with my head.

Welcome, Cathill. My goal for the year has been to weigh under 150 when I turn fifty on Dec. 20.

Last edited by maryann; 10-18-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #116  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up good day to you all

Coaches

Progress is being made. Things are getting done. It is a *joy* to feel this way.
I read a great book on the topic of Resistance (with a capital R) and wow. What a book. 5 stars from me. It's aimed at artists of every sort, but the author says you can apply it to any endeavour that you know is for your best self and yet you resist. It's called The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
Fabulous.

And with that new tool in my toolbelt I am moving forward.
Today I am having three meals and no snacks. A few glasses of water and a few cups of green tea. Tomorrow is my second-to-last farmers' market vending day. It's feeling a tad chilly today: 10C when I was out, so it really is time for the market to wrap up. I am anxious to get my studio in order for the long winter. I am going to paint in there--I mean paint the walls and the furniture and really claim it as my own space. I haven't really done that--haven't allowed myself to really move in for some reason. No more.

maryann
I turn 50 on Nov 4th. My really good friend who I have had since I was 13 or so, is getting out of town as there are those around her who want to throw her a 50th party next weekend. She's driving down here to stay with me. She turns 50 on Oct 23rd. My other good friend turned 50 mid-August and he's mulling it over. Another artist friend would have turned 50 in July but she died in April--and so there are much much much worse things than turning 50 -- even though 50 is a big deal.

AnakinHi. Welcome. The decluttering thread speaks to the "control/take care or your environment" in the Beck books. Many of us have issues with this and when we work the Beck program it becomes part of creating a calm, healthy environment for ourselves that supports our healthy intentions. Beck principles work on many different issues--plus this group is so darn supportive we all help each other get to where we want to go.

to those voting for me thank you.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Red face Not in the rhythm yet!

Hi coaches
After my first 2 posts I carried on making plans, writing cards,organising menus, but kept forgetting to post! I obviously need to work at making it a routine and a habit. Because I am on sick leave and don't have the routine of work it means I am having trouble with structure I think - but a nice problem to have

Over the last few days I have:

Finished assembling a small, raised garden bed in my north facing (southern hemisphere remember) courtyard;

Bought and planted some herbs and salad greens and sorted out the rest of the garden;

Sorted out my kitchen to make it more workable and developed menus;

Remembered and organised my go-to meals so I am not caught in the lurch;

Ordered and received my Fitbit Flex because it makes me competitive to try and walk further - this is my third - the dogs ate the first and I washed the second - bit expensive

Summer is not being too kind in NSW Aust - oops - it's not summer but only the middle of Spring. Some of the fires are around where my house is/was (renting it) so nice not to have to feel under personal threat

It is nice to see other people I remember returning to give it another go.

Down 1.5lb so that is nice

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 10-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #118  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Checking in uber quickly with thankfulness for Friday and frustration that the afternoon was filled with work issues, and when they were finally resolved at 4:52, more crept up and have continued this evening with emails sailing back and forth. I feel like I've not been able to relax yet.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone in the morning. And coming up with the week's plan for meals and marketing. Quick note, though, OneByOne, I checked that book out on amazon and looked in my library for it - no luck, so think I'll order it from amazon as a birthday gift with gift cards I received. I love it when Beck friends recommend books/movies to enrich our lives.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A simple day. Not much happened. I'm still moving slowly, so little exercise.

I did notice something new. When up at an inhuman hour (4:30 this morning) the full moon cast a moonbeam on the kitchen floor like I've never seen it before. Guess I've never been up when it was still dark and the full moon was in the western sky - we don't have south facing windows. Kinda neat. I went back every half hour to see its movement across the floor and up the cabinets on the wall. It must do this every winter month, so I can look for it again in November - should I get up that early.

onebyone – Thanks for the tip; I requested The War of Art from my library. Kudos for "Progress is being made." Voted today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – That autumn salad sounds yummy - even if some of the greens were red.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for having to go for your third Fitbit Flex, with Kudos for persistence. We're reading about your fires in our local papers - sounds frightening. Hope you're out of their reach.

maryann - I recognize that Sabotaging Thought that "magic" is responsible for our success. Instead of diligence in applying strategies. Congrats on that pound gone - even if due to your own persistence. "Hi" back to Atticus. Tell him that I wandered Boston with some out of town friends last weekend and told them of his insight, "We ought to only visit towns with a red brick Freedom Trail that can always lead us back to the hotel." And tell him I'd like him to come visit again before he comes out to check out Harvard and MIT when he's seventeen.

nationalparker – Ouch for work days that won't end. Kudos for making a week's plan.

anakin - Love the insight that "practices - good or bad - have a way of snowballing" - methinks Beck would think of this as training some muscles. I agree with the answers given by gardener joy and onebyone to the clutter thread. It would be an option to have a thread for other "Beck days" that call for ongoing separate conversations. I once visited a site that was organized just that way but it meant that posts didn't receive responses for a verrrrrry long time. Perhaps next summer someone will start a "Prepare for Travel" thread when several folks are planning strategies for vacation.

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Work

Where do you find food at work? Do certain foods remain in plain sight in the office break room? Do some of your coworkers keep candy or other treats on their desks for other to enjoy? Is there a coffee shop or gift shop in your building that sells snacks? Are there vending machine in your lunchroom? Are baked goods served at meetings?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 92.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #120  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I think I've accepted that my life is going to be a series of daily "events" until my personal reno completes AND until all 3 of my mom's rentals are again occupied. I am pretty overwhelmed at times (met with an electrician yesterday $$) yet I come home and try to destress without food. credit. I'm practicing many of my Beck skills every day....weighing, eating while sitting and resisting off plan stuff. Truth is, all this stuff doesn't really make me feel like eating any more. I seem to know that food will not fix how I feel right now. The only thing that is going to "fix" this ongoing situation is for me to keep focused and keep working on progress forward. I believe that attitude is a result of my continuing to persist with my Beck program. credit.

BBE, thanks for the lovely insight on the moon....I wish 430 was out of the norm for me. I will look for the moon on the way to the project this morning.

onebyone, voted today.

everyone else!

I set out smoothie ingredients before I came upstairs and hear the vitamix whirling. Time to sip and head out for the day. DH and I haven't been sick for over a year and we both agree our daily smoothie, especially the generous chunk of ginger root, has really strengthened our immune system....a powerful thought. Yay.
Closed Thread