Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was warm enough to walk, CREDIT moi, in short sleeves - this can't last but is super fun while it's here. Got to discuss with a friend that the construction site made its fourth dig at the same spot. He's also thinking of making suggestions to the contractor, LOL. Shared absurdity is good fun.

Eating was good at meals, CREDIT moi, with extra nibbling during the day, Ouch. Replenishing my supply of tree nuts at Trader Joe's brought temptation into the house that I now have to actively fight. But the house needs food as we are having some guests.

onebyone – Waving. Voted today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super idea to get your head to think of in-town travel.

CeeJay - Congrats on those two pounds gone forever. Ouch for vending machinitis, BTDT.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "shutting off my brain to my healthy lifestyle" - it's so easy to find excuses to space out.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Good luck with the challenge of juggling two jobs and taking care of yourself at the same time.

nationalparker – Ouch for plans thwarted by the government shutdown. I read yesterday of folks who made it to Flagstaff, Arizona for a ten day trip down the Colorado Riven in the Grand Canyon who are cooling their heels. Can't go wrong with "Balanced it out."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for moving forward on your deck. Love the Helpful Response, "Tomorrow was treat night--not tonight."

ForMyGirls - It's a good day when, "looking forward to weigh in."

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Consider the following: . . .
Won't most people think it's better to have tried to diet than not to have tried at all? They'll probably see your efforts at self-improvement as an admirable goal, even if all doesn't turn out as you expected or hoped.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 90.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

An imperfect but OK day. Woke up with a head cold which meant I didn't exercise, but somehow that then turned into not meditating or stretching. I get very confused about when it is appropriate to rest my body and when it is time to push myself. Food was also a bit off today - nothing dramatic - just forgot at lunchtime (catered today for a meeting) that I had planned rice for dinner so ending up eating too much carb. Never mind - it was not used as an excuse to go off plan more generally so for that I shall claim a credit. Weekly weigh in today was very reassuring after a week back on track. 1.3kg down - which makes me think last week's no loss was probably a bit of a misread.

New lifestyle - good luck in the decision-making about which job or jobs to stick with

Gardener joy - sounds like a good plan for the conference. I liked you "eat as many vegetables as I can get". I have been realising how few vegetables there are in catered food. The world seems to have got the hang of offering fruit, but vegetables don't extend past a token lettuce leaf on a sandwich.

Lexxis - yay for catching the nibbles early and getting back in track.

National Parker - happy travels while you are off living up to your name

Ceejay - yay for so many credits today.

Beth - yay for overcoming the cookie crave. And hooray to you for dealing so quickly and decisively with an unsuccessful new job. Very impressive!

BBE - yay for shared absurdity and good luck with a house with tempting tree nuts.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did the class with the Zumba teacher at gym today, CREDIT moi. There were three students in the class so it wasn't crowded. I'm getting better at the balancing exercises; the secret seems to be concentration.

Eating was only OK. My goal was to finish off some leftovers to make room in the fridge. There's no end to reasons that seem important to eat other than provide nourishment to the body. I've got way to much stuff to do right now but have gotten hooked on this darn The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Thought I'd read a few pages to see what it's about and can't put it down. Usually I read to a chapter break and then do the next thing in life; haven't found a chapter break yet. Oh Well.

silverbirch – Waving. Has this book made it to England? Perhaps it's only us in the U.S. who didn't really know what happened to the Channel Islands during the war.

ForMyGirls - Such a classic dilemma, "when it is appropriate to rest my body and when it is time to push myself." Wish you'd figure out how to solve that conflict in all aspects of our lives and publish a book on the process. Yep, Kudos for not letting a minor diversion lead to major off plan.

Readers -
Quote:

Finally, think about how likely it is that you will lose weight this time - because now you have the power of Cognitive Therapy and the Beck Diet Solution - if you follow all the steps. Now, are you ready to read about how you need to change your environment?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #19  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

silverbirch – Waving. Has this book made it to England? Perhaps it's only us in the U.S. who didn't really know what happened to the Channel Islands during the war.
Bill, it seems as though this book's been around some time. I think people who know about the war know pretty well what it was like in the Channel Islands, and thank their lucky stars it didn't happen here. My mother (b 1925 and living in the South West during that period) and her younger brothers have been continually rehashing that period for a few years now. They were just children and young teenagers, and their memories are very vivid and sometimes alarming. My dad talked about being shot at by the Germans and having to hide in a crack in an old castle. They talk about their area being like "an armed camp" just before D-Day, and that the Channel Islands had it very hard indeed. I have a bayonet which Dad found in his desk at school, one morning after some of the Free French had had to come to Britain and had rested in his classroom over night. The Channel Islands and France are quite close to Britain and the Channel is a passage between, not an obstacle. Yes, for many, these memories are alive and having to be processed. I suppose this book is part of ensuring that these times are not forgotten.

onebyone, I vote every day. It's just part of my routine.

I am doing better at only eating when sitting down. It's helping, I think. I, too, see a clear link between a clear environment and good eating habits. I chuck things out most days! In fact, I spend a lot of time thinking about space and beauty at present.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Our contractors left yesterday trying to beat the snowstorm that is coming today. It was a perfect opportunity to clean up from this phase...make a dump run and plan for the final push. We worked hard and have very visable progress. Food has been good (not perfect). Exercise has been work related. Yesterday I was painting by 6. When I dashed through the house DH had made our smoothies. I took time to take my liquid nutrition. Later my friend indicated she was making a "Subway" run for lunch.. I was fully engrossed but said 12"Veggie, no mayo or oil, no chips, no drink or cookie. DH and I will split it. credit. That, to me, is so related to my continuing to work my Beck program. My brain can click into my automated healthy response instead of replaying all the other options.

I have a busy day ahead....clearing my environment, tending to my mom and heading to Denver for a visit with DH's DD/and tot. Lunch will be out but dinner can (again) follow my food plan 100%.

BBE, monster kudos for continuing your Zumba!

onebyone, I voted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I am doing better at only eating when sitting down. It's helping, I think. I, too, see a clear link between a clear environment and good eating habits. I chuck things out most days! In fact, I spend a lot of time thinking about space and beauty at present.
silverbirch, thanks for sharing your family story with us. Amazing about the bayonet! Great that you notice you are doing better eating while sitting down. We just keep working at it. Your comment regarding the clear link between a clear environment and good eating habits gets clearer to me all the time.

Work tomorrow....I must get cracking! everyone! I'll get caught up with you all once internet speeds up!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 10-04-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #21  

Hi coaches,
Still feeling pretty foggy with cold and confused about the "rest my body, don't use this as an excuse" dilemma. 100% OP on food yesterday but exercise / well being activities non existent. Credit for not eating any of the garlic bread that came with the Caesar salad I ordered for lunch. This morning at breakfast I thought "%{^ it" and decided just to eat what I wanted but then suddenly thought "actually I am full" and stopped. What I ate is easy to fit into my plan for the day. Exciting to have an awareness of fullness stop me eating even when I'd decided not to listen! Also had a cool thing yesterday - was running late for a meeting so ran to get there - and I could do it without dying. (It wasn't far and I didn't run fast - but it was a very noticeable difference from the last time I had to run to get somewhere!)

BBE - I think I am going to have to try out this Guernsey book - I love "can't out it down" books. Might save it for a holiday though so I can devour it guilt free

Silver birch - eating sitting down is sooooo helpful for me. Of all the Beck habits it is probably the one that is still most precarious but it makes such an enormous difference to staying on track that I keep working at it. Thinking about space and beauty sounds like a lovely place to be.

Lexxis - I liked your story on the subway. I reckon it is real, fundamental change happening when the options you think of are all healthy ones.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - World Teacher's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – If you can read this, you have a teacher to thank and today is the day.

Lots of good walking, CREDIT moi, exploring the area with out of town guests. It's so much fun to look at the same areas with folks who haven't seen it yet.

Dinner was at an Ethiopian restaurant where the food is served on a bed of Injera bread which is peeled up and used to scoop and eat. Super fun for a group of friends around the table. Seems to me that I ate an appropriate portion, CREDIT moi, but there's no way to tell. A good sign is that we all quit before all food was gone.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos that your brain thinks 'on-plan' even when super engrossed. Yay for visable progress.

silverbirch – Super thanks for the family memories of the war. It is useful for me to be reminded how difficult times were in England and other parts of Europe. I wish this would magically rub off on me, "I spend a lot of time thinking about space and beauty" - my DW frequently gets annoyed that I don't "see" the stuff around me.

ForMyGirls - Isn't it exciting to discover, when a short run is called for, that, "I could do it without dying." Kudos for your progress to get there.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
Beginning a New Way of Life

You Will Change Your Mindset
By the time you finish the Beck Diet for Life Program, you will notice how different the "new" you is from the "old" you.

The old you thought: There are "good" foods and "bad" foods. I should never have a bad food.
The new you thinks: I can eat a favorite food, in a reasonable portion, as often as once a day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 18.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #23  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy still feeling "out there" somehow...

Coaches

I weighed in this morning at and will change my ticker today. I begged off from the farmers' market this morning. It looks like rain and I am feeling down and out. I have spent a few days this week continuing to settle my mother into her new place. It's going and then it's not.

I went over to get her laundry and meet with a case worker to see if she is eligible for extra support. She's in too good of shape but will be recommended to have a psw worker come by once a week for a bath.
I found dealing with the case worker tiring. I didn't know it while I was there, only afterwards. She mentioned to me to pay attention to my mother as overtime many things will fall away but the "social graces" are one of the last things to go. This has had me wondering about those folks who don't have many social graces to begin with--or never felt they were important--or never even knew they were socially, what... awkward? My mother's deeply ingrained sociability is a big part of her success at this stage of her life. She is pleasant and kind and people want to help her/be around her/talk to her. When she was alone with me though, she is constantly asking about where she goes next. "But where do I go from here? Do I have to go back there? I'm going to go stay with my mother, but I don't know where she is, do you? I haven't heard from her in so long. You're going to tell me she's dead aren't you? Is she dead? I don't believe she's dead..." etc. Normally, I can shake all this off. These days I continue to bite my nails until they hurt (talk about old stress-related behaviour), I feel sad often, and while my food is improving I am not exercising or having 100% OP days.

I have started to write again though. I keep trying to write prose but it's always morphing into poetry. So be it. And I continue to ask for votes online...

BTW Becksters! YOUR CONTINOUS VOTING IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! The voting site promises a vote count during Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, which is next weekend. They said someone had 500 votes after one full week of voting.

So, overall, I don't have the right attitude for my current situation. I am just struggling with everything these days, which means I am fighting my feelings.I need to ask for some acceptance of my life and then I can be free to change it.

I will take *credit* for making soup from scratch yesterday. Always a good sign for me that I am starting back to healthful ways.

Have a good Saturday.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches!

Big drum roll!!!!!!!! On October 1st, I happily dropped my ticker three pounds! This is a huge amount for me. It has been nearly two years since I have dropped that kind of weight despite doggedly following Beck. I read somewhere that the last ten pounds take a special effort that only about 20% of the population can muster. I can attest to the required persistence and I am not done yet. I have delayed testing foods for sensitivity because I started two supplements suggested. One made me nauseous and one I suspect is giving me headaches. I am grateful I didn't start adding food back or cause and effect would have been murky. Tomorrow I reintroduce one meal of gluten.

Reaffirming the "one" part. This is not a food frenzy day. It is a small amount.

Lots of success in lots of areas this week. Planned a reading celebration at school and the kids were excited. I had raffle, treats, music and a double lunch period. Retest of mammogram was negative. All is well there. And this week marked my 26th year of sobriety which makes everything else in my life possible.

Good luck to all: NationalParker on what will be a beautiful vacation, Beth on her new job; Gardenerjoy o on her "staycation" plan; and to everybody else who courageously continues to strive for mindfulness with food.

Last edited by maryann; 10-05-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Yay it's the weekend!! We are having fantastic weather this fall and today is sunny and relatively warm again. Absolutely love this time of year.

Coaches I am doing very well with all my goals, except one. I have been keeping my commitments to myself about exercise, reading my advantage and response cards, and logging my progress at Sparks People. I am having a more difficult time with food. There's a shocker. . Anyway, I am determined that this coming week will be better. Right now my goals are no sugar (for me a little sugar leads to a lot of sugar) and 3 meals and 2 snacks of healthy, real food.

bethFromDayton-good luck with your new job. Great that you were able to recognize the other job was not for you and to make a move quickly.

BillBlueEyes-think I am going to have to check out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Sounds like you are hooked.

ForMyGirls- going down 1.3 kg is something worth celebrating!

silverbirch-waving hello!

Lexxiss-Kuddos for eating healthy and making good choices despite what sounds like a very busy time for you.

onebyone- am voting every day. Hope you are feeling better.

maryann-Yay for 3 pounds gone. Fantastic.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #26  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Dinner was not good today--the rest of the day was good, food-wise. We went out to dinner and I ate past full--and then ate dessert when we got home. We went to Red Lobster and I basically ate an entire entree--and I know that half of a restaurant meal is a full meal. Back on track...back on track.

We worked on the decks some more and finished all the rails/spindles. Tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be rainy, so we won't get to the floor. I do have plenty of inside projects to work on!

The scale is still consistently hanging at 180, so I'm definitely still feeling good about getting here. I've been working on getting my pictures from last summer's trip to Japan on my website--and the difference in how I look is amazing to me.

I got my birthday present a week early--a new monitor (because my monitor wouldn't "wake up" until I turned it off and on several times). It's huge--I'm not sure if it's too huge.

Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked around Boston all day with out of town visitors, CREDIT moi. There's always something new to see so it's never boring.

Touring Boston has to include the North End, the Italian section of the city. And that has to include an Italian pastry shop, which actually turned into a "taste test" of the cannoli’s from two different bakeries both with looooooong lines extending down the street. Good news: two cannoli’s from each bakery were cut up and shared. Bad news: it's still one honking caloric pastry.

onebyone – Voted today. Yep, "soup from scratch" is a good sign that the part of your brain you've been training into your new life style is alive and working. Sending supportive thoughts for your mother to find peace and you with her.

CeeJay - I so know this one, "a little sugar leads to a lot of sugar" - drug dealers only need to watch the food industry to learn how to hook folks into their product. Yay for some fine Canadian weather.

maryann - Congrats for being able to get kids excited about a "reading celebration." And Honking Congrats for those three pounds gone forever. And Happy 26th!

Beth (bethFromDayton) – It's well earned this "still feeling good" - continue to savor it. Ouch for Red Lobster's portion sizes.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat
.....If you can identify the triggers that
evoke sabotaging thoughts
and lead you to eat in
unhelpful ways, you can minimize your exposure
.....to them
or change your response to them.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 28.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 18.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #28  

Hello coaches,

It has been a bit of an "off program" weekend. I think I probably haven't actually exceeded my allowed food intake, or fallen short of my exercise goals too badly. But I haven't felt like I have been in control. Been ponder in this evening what that might be about. One theory is that I the planning, reporting etc is taking too much time and so it ends up feeling like I have to choose between being on track with this or on track with the rest of my life. So I am going to experiment with keeping my posts shorter, and maybe even not doing it daily. Let's see how it goes :-)
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Four days of conference energy. Food -- 1 great day, 2 okay days, 1 where I acted as if fatigue entitled me to eat whatever I wanted. So, three credits and one big sigh (and moving on).

The library conference was three days. The fourth day was a photo workshop. My worst day was that third transition day. I think I would have been better off had I treated this as two separate events in my head instead of thinking it as one messy run of days. There was plenty of time on Friday to get back on track. Lesson learned.

I kept my daily exercise streak going -- I'm now at 77 days!

WI: +0.95 kg, Exercise: +35 280/1400 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

silverbirch: Thanks for your family story. I love knowing some stories that aren't written in books.

For everyone enjoying Guernsey because of the World War II setting, I have two new books to recommend: Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein. They are written for teens, but I wouldn't want to give either to a very young teen since they don't hold back any punches. They read like you're pulling documents out of archives -- reports and journals and letters. The first is about a female spy and the second about a female pilot. Code Name Verity was a runner-up for the Printz prize (for teen literature) this year and it really does a strange and wonderful thing in its storytelling (which I can't describe without giving it all away). The story telling is Rose Under Fire is more straight forward but still compelling.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It drizzled all day creating that wad of leaves on the sidewalks that track into the house - the real signal that Autumn is indeed here. Only walked, CREDIT moi, to a friend's house to discuss a project we're working. It's fun to walk under an umbrella.

Eating wasn't so good. We had house guests with time spent around the kitchen table with nibbling food constantly available. It was the healthiest of healthy foods - but only when eaten in planned portions. Multiple guests at once seem to whack my plans out of my head. (I am reconnected with my Beck book, so the Reader's Quote is back on sequence.)

onebyone – Waving. Voted today. Your place is moved about on the page.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Transitions can be difficult. Kudos for accepting a lessons learned. Hope the photography workshop was fun. I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society after our weekend guests left for the airport. Very glad that I read it. I'm impressed that the style of a sequence of letters could keep me engrossed the whole book.

ForMyGirls - Yep, this planning stuff takes real time. Kudos for making choices to find a way to plan your eating and exercise while still living your life.

Readers -
Quote:
...Prepare your home and work environments
by putting tempting foods where you won't easily
....see them - and by putting wholesome foods
.......allowed by your diet in plain view.
Closed Thread