Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

DH has been working round the clock for about a week now. He slipped home for last night but is gone again til Friday. The walnuts must be irrigated and sprayed for coddling moth. I know he is trying to arrange things so he can come with us to my BIG graduation at the end of the month in Vermont. I am much less agitated with his absence this year. It has been an ongoing struggle in the marriage-mostly because of DS. But i have done lots of counseling on it and DS is old enough to be such good company. Plus, I am very grateful for his excellent work ethic. So "Oh well" to a farmer's schedule.

OP today. stretches for a hurting shoulder but MY FEET ARE HEALED. Orthotics and ten nightmare sessions with a chiropractor which had me screaming and lamaze breathing ( he breaks up the scar tissue with his thumbs!!!) I walked all day with no pain.

Good to read everyone's challenges.

Sparks17: I see no need to rush off "Fooling Myself." Very powerful thoughts for me.

Last edited by maryann; 06-04-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #32  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello coaches,
I love reading what everyone writes and also love how varied our lives are...you are an interesting group of people, not to mention supportive and dedicated! I appreciate you all....

I have been OP with food but have had a couple of small, spontaneous snacks that were not OP...I have stayed within my calorie range but I don't like to go off like that. I do my final weigh in for our challenge on Thursday morning. I am only half kidding when I say it will be after I pee and get as close to naked as I can at the YMCA to be weighed by someone officially! We have a new team starting on June 14 and every person is very motivated to lose...even if we don't win the cash, we will have fun and stay on a healthy path! I love the fun and support of it all....

Dad went to the YMCA kid workout consultation and is now approved to go into the weight room. So we could go and workout together which I think is so fun! They also have a "lazyman triathlon" which is an 8 week challenge where you can use water aerobics or swimming toward a 2.4 mile swim, bike or spin class toward 112 miles on bike (or exercise bike), and aerobics classes, walking or running on road or cardio machine for the run...I may do it for fun and to mix up my workouts...it will be summer so why not!!!

And I am finished with report cards!!! This is a HUGE feat.....still finishing projects with kids, cleaning classroom up and getting ready for that much needed time of r and r and house projects!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Proud of myself tonight in that I ended up sticking to my calorie goal, despite swapping out my planned dinner for a different, yet still spinach-filled, option and will use the spinach/cherry/chocolate planned smoothie for tomorrow's breakfast instead of tonight's dinner. Baked only one recipe of biscotti, but got half of them wrapped up for a friend's belated birthday lunch. I did butterscotch chip/cashew, which isn't typical Italian, but one I tried out when trying to make new recipes and it goes quickly. # biscotti eaten? 0! Yay!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #34  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello Coaches,

Just a quick check-in before going to bed. I am still maintaining my 15+ minute walks every day! CREDIT! Meals have been mostly OP but I am still eating too many unplanned snacks in the evening. Had to cancel with my personal trainer due to still having a cold/flu, but I am rescheduled for next Tuesday morning. I have put the nutritionist on hold. Overwhelmed with my schedule right now. I am trying to squeeze everything in before I go to Ireland on the 19th and then before my foot surgery on July 16th. I also want to focus on getting the personal training established before I begin the nutrition component. One thing at a time!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A wash of a day - Ouch. Too much stuff brewing with me waiting for phone calls from lawyers and esteemed professional staff of the inspection/zoning board.

My meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, my snacks weren't, Ouch again. The current crisis in my life will end, as all do.

onebyone – Hope your DH made it home in one piece. Kudos for turning down those treats. (Typed with my eyes closed to avoid Karl's stare, LOL.)

Debbie (Lexxiss)"I continue to resist multitudes at work" remains Kudos worthy every day.

maryann - Cheers for "I walked all day with no pain." Send my thanks to the walnut farmer - I'll think of him when popping walnut halves at breakfast.

nationalparker – Good luck backing biscotti and keeping your hands out of it.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for "use your resistance muscle" - neat that it's working.

IBelieveInMe2 – Ouch for cancelled personal trainer session. Are you psyched about going to Ireland?

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Hope all goes well with your disaster recovery training. Those Sandy folks certainly need all the help they can get.

Rosebud170 – Love the thought of a "lazyman triathlon" when you do it over eight weeks.

sparks17 – Yep, the excuses are "ALL so familiar" - kinda embarrassing that Beck can write down what I'm thinking.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

Pick Your Diets Now

Why pick a second diet plan now? If you become discouraged with your first diet, you'll be at risk for abandoning your weight-loss efforts altogether. If you know from the start what your fallback diet will be, you'll be much more likely to switch to it and to continue dieting without interruption.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 67.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #36  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Quick check in....food op, weighed and I have a plan for today. Quite busy taking it one day at a time.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters - well, I am back after a downward spiral with food from when my sister was here and then beyond. She is not doing so well with her health. A fall from a stepladder three years ago has resulted 4 back surgeries, 21 back procedures, a back made of steel rods, plates, screws (everything except ductape), chronic pain, and loss of being able to do much of what she used to do. She can only sit in a chair for about 20 minutes and then must either stand up & walk or lay on the couch. She had to retire from a career that was exciting and important. It all has made me so sad. Her stomach is 'wrecked' from all the meds. She lives on the blandest foods. Her favorites are sugar & butter cookies and vanilla ice cream (she is not over weight, lab numbers great). I was into the cookies and goodies along with her. When she left she felt wonderful as to be somewhere different and nurturing. I was left with my heart broken for all she has gone through and still not better yet. She is better than she was several years ago - but, is now trying to see if this less pain, etc is as good as it gets.

My food has been all over the place. I was feeling so sad and bad and mad that I didn't have the energy to come here and post. Sorry I just faded away for a time. I am up three pounds over my ticker weight. Down a couple from the cookiefest my sister and I had.

One wonderful credit in all of this is that I've done my exercises every single day - for over a month. YAY.

I saw the dietician yesterday. Although I was up four pounds from when I five weeks ago. I am still down ten pounds from last November. Credit. It could be worse, for sure. She told me to sit down and write out where my health will be in five years if I continue to eat so very unhealthfully. Where it could be if I eat a healthier food plan. Food for thought.

So, once again I have my pencil in hand and my spiral ready to write down a plan. I will try again. The good thing is that the past is done. Learn and carry on. Thanks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey. I am having mental battles today - FOOD FOOD FOOD is all I can think about. My oldest has been home sick all week...and eating all the stuff I bought for healthy lunches so I have nothing left for today but a small yogurt! I want to go to McD and have a big sandwich and fries. I want I want I want.

So I forced myself to come here. I ate too much breakfast - but stopped when I realized that I was eating too much and wasn't hungry anymore -credit. I have a gyn app tomorrow and do not want to sabotage my weigh-in by eating unnecessary salty junk today. I have errands to run this afternoon and I am trying to figure out lunch first. On the way home I can pick up good stuff for the rest of the week...bu I am fighting all the "Just this once it is ok not a big deal you don't have any other choice go in the kitchen and just eat whatever you find it's not your fault" thoughts. It's not OK, I am shrieking it in my mind!!!

Deep breath. I think it would be best to be content with the yogurt, run my errands right now, pick up some fresh stuff on the way home. I will not die if I am hungrier than I would like to be for a few hours!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #39  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick check in tonight ... baking more biscotti for my dad (toasted coconut and one with white and milk choc chips; clearly not one traditional italian anise or almond piece in the basket this time). I'm wiped out. Day has been rushing from one issue or place to another. Planned to pack tonight and still haven't begun, so that'll be put off until tomorrow night. DH suggested we go to his folks tomorrow night for an early Father's Day gathering, so made a cake for that to take and leave there. That reduces the number of things i can get done tomorrow night, though, as it's about 75 minutes each way. Picking up dinner to take out there.

Night has been a stressful one with pet issues, work issues, home issues, delivery truck issues and a feeling like I have 101 things to do and no time to get things done; and with DH working nights/sleeping days, that it falls to me. I wanted to sit here and enjoy a glass of iced tea and log in. Exceeded my calorie allotment by 81 today. I'm okay with that as I kept my mitts off the biscotti except for a broken piece that I counted and savored.

Tomorrow's goal - Eat light but not too light during the day to afford the calories of dinner (pizza and salad, but consolation is the pizza is easy to count and non-greasy).

Vivid reminder on why losing weight is important to me - wore a summery skirt and did a lot of walking today, and got the horrid thigh rub a bit and that brought back memories that I thought I was past. UGH.

Might just hit the sack early and get started early tomorrow. Wanted to hit Friday morning at my ticker weight and that's not going to happen, but I'm closing in on it.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-05-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #40  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was an OP day--no deviations, no changes, just as planned.

Big credit for: <wait for this> I made a triple batch of brownies and didn't eat ANY of it. DD cleaned up the bowls and spoons--I didn't so much as lick my fingers. She laughed at me as I all but danced around the kitchen I was so proud of myself! I haven't cut them yet--I'll do that tomorrow when I bake the shortbread bars.

I took the ice cream treats to work for my coworkers who had them for lunch dessert. I wasn't even tempted--the habit I've developed of not having extra food/snacks at work has really sunk in so that it's not even hard.

I've got to enter today's dinner into MFP and then plan for tomorrow. I still haven't figured out how to handle the weekend full of sweet treats. I need to spend some real time tomorrow figuring that out.

Take care, all!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At a friend's house last night, I was offered top shelf snacks left over from their weekend visitors. CREDIT moi for taking only a sane amount anyway.

Lots of walking to two events for the day, CREDIT moi. I didn't believe it would rain in the evening so didn't carry an umbrella. It did rain, but stopped before 10:30 when I left. I got to walk, feeling slightly chilled but dry, watching the streetlights reflecting from the wet streets. All flowers are blooming everywhere.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving back. Yay for busy.

Beverlyjoy – Super Kudos for daily exercise despite the emotions with your sister's health. A written plan is a good step forward.

nationalparker – So important, "I counted and savored" - to stave off falling off the wagon. I only think of 'anise' when I think biscotti.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ice cream treats to work . . . brownies without licking the bowl - just the greatest, Kudos.

sparks17 – Yep, "I will not die if I am hungrier than I would like to be for a few hours!" Kids are great for reminding us of the source of our " I want I want I want."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

Pick Your Diets Now

To pick your diets, you can tap the following sources:
  • Ask a health-care professional for suggestions.
  • Consult with people you know who have lost weight.
  • Talk to friends and family - those who know you well - about what kinds of diets they think will work for you.
  • Go to the bookstore or library and look through diet books.
. . .. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 67.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

national parker and beth - great that you are not strengthening that giving-in muscle! I rarely bake in the spring/summer but I really ramp it up in the fall...and I hope to be more accustomed to control by then!

beverlyjoy - for daily exercise!!

Bill - sounds like you had a beautiful night!

It was a good thing that I had this forum yesterday. After I got a little hysterical here...I calmly ate my yogurt, did what I needed to do and came home with fruit and salad stuff. My best find was a tomato/cucumber salad (it was called Shepherd's Salad) from a Turkish restaurant. It was so delicious that I am already thinking about lunch! You know....I do want to change my thinking but I do not want to stop enjoying my food!

Last night I did have an unplanned treat - a glass of white wine. I had the chance to see Comedy of Errors in Central Park (I go almost every year but this was unexpected - I was planning to go in 2 weeks with my daughters) and the women I was with brought wine. My husband had told me before I went to buy myself a glass so it was in my mind...and I did drink it sitting down! And it was well within my calorie range (my goal is 1600-2000 per day and I keep an eye to be sure that I am averaging 1800 or so every week - so far so good) for the day as I had a tiny lunch - fortuitous! Usually I have a hot dog and soda and then a brownie before the show!

OK. Today I have the gyn (follow up o some stuff I had done in the fall) so I will see where my weight is. It has been 2.5 weeks since I was last weighed so I am anxious. But I will be ok no matter what it is, as I have been planning, keeping track of my food and exercising regularly. Even if the scale does not reflect it...my new jeans are already loose on my waist so I know I am on the right track.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #43  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

A little rickety on sticking with the plan, perhaps the habits are fading if I don't constantly reinforce them. The stress of life continues to ramp up, just really trying to "stay on the board" as we Lake Michigan surfers say.

Today my plan is solid, the food in place--should be okay. I notice I go along eating the same things each day and don't mind the sameness since it makes it easy to prep in the morning. Then in the middle of a day I freak for some food I haven't had in a couple weeks. "TACOS!", I yell, and go off plan. Gotta build a little more variety in, I think.

BethfromDayton I read what you said and I wonder if you could tell us more about this idea: "--the habit I've developed of not having extra food/snacks at work" ? Thanks ahead of time.

My best to all! Spanky
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #44  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm off to Denver for mega errands. I hope by leaving now I'll be home for lunch and will avoid having to eat out. We have to take the pup so getting back before it gets hot is another reason to get going. I followed my plan yesterday, weighed this morning and sent my food plan to my diet buddy. credit.

Crossing my fingers I may be back later depending on internet stuff...

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #45  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
BethfromDayton I read what you said and I wonder if you could tell us more about this idea: "--the habit I've developed of not having extra food/snacks at work" ? Thanks ahead of time.
One of my big downfalls (and the big reason I put 30 lbs back on the last time I lost it) is because I snacked at work--it could be a candy bar a day--or it could be two. Chips. Cookie packages from the snack area. Whatever anyone brought in (and often two servings of that).

So, one of my first new behaviors was "no snacking at work". That left me way too hungry by dinner time, so I changed it to "no unplanned snacking at work". I bring a snack with protein every day (usually crackers and cheese or nuts) and on the rare occasionas I forget, I eat half a package of cashews from the snack bar.

One of my other behaviors was "If I'm going to have something sweet, it will be after dinner."

When I see something I want to eat at work (when someone brings something in), I think to myself "That has nothing to do with me. I don't eat sweets at work." "I am a person who doesn't snack at work." Sometimes I have to remind myself "If I hadn't seen that, I wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I've repainted my self image as someone who is mildly curious about what people bring in but someone who doesn't eat it. I do not make exceptions for birthday cake or other celebratory events.

This is definitely something I learned from the Beck books--I don't have to make a decision because the decision is already made--I don't eat treats at work.

I started this January 7th--and have successfully not had an unplanned snack at work in that time!
Closed Thread