Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #61  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have a friend who had a double mastectomy. She does not wear any bra and is flat as a pancake. To me, that is the ultimate fashion statement. Yeah for Laurie. And yes, she looks good.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #62  

Height: 5'-2"

Aphil, good for you! I wish I was more like that. I'm pretty sure I'd be a millionaire by now.
We DO shop at second hand stores. A lot! Aside from underwear and shoes, I pretty much buy all of our stuff there. I do treat myself to a new pair of jeans every year if I can't find good ones at the Sally Anne.
I was there twice last week, and got some GREAT bargains! I found this really cool retro, flared red vinyl raincoat. All of the stuff we buy is really good quality. I'd rather buy good quality second hand than "cheap" new.

I try not to shop at Walmart. Sorry my American friends... it just ticks me off to see them moving into a small town and completely wiping out all the small businesses. They're money grubbing corporate pigs, and I WILL NOT SUPPORT THEM!! I'll get down now.

Ruth...
You know, whatever we wear we are all beautiful women. Inside and out. We're loved for who we are.
And I love all of you. Regardless of your taste in thongs, tatoos, belt buckles, makeup, shoes, ...

Old 07-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #63  

Oh Ruth... I wasn't laughing at your friend with the mastectomy! I think that's cool, and I would do the same thing. In fact, if I ever have to get one off, they're BOTH coming off!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #64  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I think Walmarts prices are great especially on household products and small appliances. I get my skincare and makeup products there too -much cheaper than other places. We go to Costco a lot too I just can't go to either place on the really busy days - I just get annoyed and uptight and stressed out when there are too many people there -I'm just not good with shopping in big crowds

Aphil - we have a great store where Ellis and I live called Big Bud's -It has a lot of good prices on brand name cleaners and detergents, drugstore products, vitamins, canned goods, baking items(best place to go to stock up for Christmas baking ), pantry staples, and my tea is only $1.99 there compared to $3.29 at the grocery store. It is a hole in the wall that has been there since my parents immigrated here in 1965 - But it is one of the best cheapie places in town-I love it!

We also shop at a store we fondly call the GT boutique (Giant Tiger to you Canucks It is a good cheapie clothing and household goods place too -they also carry grocery items -which they recently expanded their selection to include freezer and dairy case items.

China town is one of my favorite places to shop too- lot's of neat stuff cheap and great Asian and Indian grocery stores! And I love rummage sales, garage sales and fleamarkets

One of my stops in Indy will be to Target - (Targay ) I got some great deals when I was there last time
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #65  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Ellis-Don't be apologizing to me sweetie!! I hate Walmart's politics too, even if I am an American!!! (We should have a barfing emoticon!!!)

Ruth-I read about a woman who had a tatoo of a tree done over the mastectomy scar...roots, trunk and branches!! She wanted to celebrate surviving, and felt that her mastectomy scar was a symbol of survival. GREAT attitude!! I'm trying to view my c-section scar and all my stretch marks in a similar way!!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Ruth-I think that is great about your friend-if I had a double masectomy I would go without a bra...but I just don't think that I could go with only ONE and not wear the fake one on the other side if that were the case.
Our town doesn't really have anything for Wal-Mart to drive out...other than Wal-Mart all we have is the gas stations and restaurants. I don't pay too much attention to their policies and why you all hate them so...maybe you will all have to let me in the loop.
If it makes you all feel any better-when they advertise that they will match ANY ad-I make them hold to that! I take my Joann Fabrics ad in there and make them give me a ton of sewing patterns for .99 each (usually $10-$15 each)
Ellis-I agree with you about the clothes. I am toally for buyig goodquality second hand, rather than new "cheap." I also think from being a seamstress that there are a lot of nicely made clothes out there for a decent price, and a lot of CRAPPY made clothes out there selling for big bucks. For instance-I won't buy any child's dress up type or any child or adult Halloween costume in ANY store-because they are made of cheap fabric, cheap laces, etc. and sewn very badly.
I can make a much better costume with nicer fabrics and trims and have it look more like "what it was supposed to look like." My daughter was Cinderella last year-complete with the satin black band around her throat and "glass slippers." (clear jelly shoes that I found!)
Aphil
Old 07-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #67  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I hate Wal-Mart also. They're huge, and cheap and don't give a damn about who they service or what they've done to the community. ANYWAY...

My worst wal-mart story was walking into the restroom and finding a giant TURD on the floor. How gross! And it was definately adult sized. Ewwww... I just adandoned my shopping cart and left the store.

My favorite masectomy story was a woman who had her breast restored (implants) and she had no nipple. But the doctor said they would tattoo one on. So she had an online contest to "design my nipple." She didn't want some plain brown one, she wanted something special. Very cool. Makes me want to get my nipples tattooed.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #68  

Quote:
Originally posted by aphil
If it makes you all feel any better-when they advertise that they will match ANY ad-I make them hold to that! I take my Joann Fabrics ad in there and make them give me a ton of sewing patterns for .99 each (usually $10-$15 each)
You squeeze them dry, hon!!
Aphil, I can totally understand why you'd shop at Walmart. It IS cheap! And they can afford to be cheap, because they're one of the biggest corporations in the world. They rule. The corporate shareholders sit on their mountains of money while raking in even more profits squeezed from "the little guy". That would be you and I. And the employees.

As you asked:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Wal-Mart could not survive in a town with good public transportation, where families all grow their own vegetables, cut one another's hair, sew their own clothes, and borrow and lend tools. Like all retailers, it has to move vast quantities of merchandise at an ever-increasing pace. It does it, as the sign in the store says, by "Daring to Save You Even More." And to drive prices to rock-bottom, they have to drive down the wages they pay.

Of course, the wages Wal-Mart pays in Kansas seem princely when compared with those paid by many of its suppliers around the world. Try going to your local Supercenter with the monthly paycheck of a Bangladeshi factory worker who makes shirts for Wal-Mart. You won't make it to the end of Aisle 1."

Source: United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only way most American towns can cover their budget today is by having big corporations like Wal-Mart come in and bring tax revenues," said Peled in a telephone interview. "Ever since the Reagan era, American municipalities have been scrambling for additional revenue sources. Wal-Mart, in this way, has 'come to the rescue.'"

"Wal-Mart operates on a saturation strategy. They place stores so close together that they become their own competition. Once everyone else is wiped out, they're free to thin out their own stores. Wal-Mart currently has over 390 empty stores on the market today. This is a company that changes stores as casually as you or I change shoes."

That's America you might say. But in the end, Micha Peled would prefer if it were not. He is nostalgic for the regional variety he experienced on his Kerouacan journey of the '70s. "I was stunned by the scope of the problem," he said, referring to the homogenization of American towns. "And I was stunned that until I read about Wal-Mart in a book on globalization, I didn't know anything about how the company works."

Still, Peled sympathizes with towns that have fallen in with Goliaths like Wal-Mart: "They're essentially blackmailed. If the towns don't take on a Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart will move their new store two miles up the road out of the town's jurisdiction and still suffer the same economic devastation."

"Store Wars" also illustrates that Wal-Mart is not universally hated. Peled's Ashlanders note the company offers low-income people needed jobs. What they don't say, however, is that Wal-Mart's jobs fail to provide a living wage -- a salary that can adequately cover the costs of rent, food and health insurance.

According to research institutes like Jobs for Justice and United for a Fair Economy, one third of Wal-Mart's employees work part-time with no benefits or job security. Many employees also are limited to less than 28 hours a week, and therefore are not eligible for benefits at all.

USA: When Wal-Mart Comes to Town
By Tamara Straus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If that's not enough (which it isn't for most people, because Walmart is AFFORDABLE!), check these out...

http://www.walmartdayofaction.com/issues.shtml
http://216.118.85.14/wal/wal_042803.htm

Aphil, it's really, really important that you NOT get me started on a rant unless you want to be bored to death.

The costume you made for your daughter must have been BEAUTIFUL! My Mom used to make a lot of clothes (even made my Dad's dress shirts!), and I'm seriously thinking about starting to do it myself.
At the Sally Anne I also found a beautiful long,silver/grey brocade vest with a "frog" toggle. It was handmade, and it's so unique.

Jessica, I love the "tatoo story".
Old 07-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #69  
a brave new me...

Unhappy Yes...

Don't get me started on Wal-Mart politics either... I just draw the line at that store. However, I am also quite a bargain shopper and frequent Goodwill and second hand stores regularly... although I am not so much into rummage sales because everyone around here who holds a rummage sale is only trying to get rid of JUNK. Of course, I don't have kids so it might be different if I were looking for kid's clothes. I love stores like TJMaxx and Bulington Coat Factory... lots of great deals there and the stuff is higher quality (e.g. department store stuff).

A giant turd... OHMIGOD!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:36 PM   #70  
Super Star

I am a target fan myself. For my b-day my mom sent me a gift card..woah i bought so many things...of course ours is across town so it takes me 25 minutes to ge there@thank goodness) Our town only has one way to get to the other side..kinda funny..lol

I only shop at walmart for they got the K-mart(well that and k-mart ceo..lol) to close...I have never had any person be nice to me..or even help..and most often the stuff i buy is broken or something is missing.

For two years i totally boycotted it but have no choice when I need stuff that the store does not offer.

In a few weeks the superwalmart wiht the gorcery store opens. To me..that would make me buy more stuff as ic an get ANYTHING i want in one stop.

I LOVE coupons and i use my barnes and noble credit card to get 10 dollar coupons for my books ( 1 read 3-5 books a week)

I think women who have had masectomy's to be heros. we as women are judged on a few PHYSICAL things..so to chooose not to rebuild or to use whatever....well they are heros.

GREAT comments ladies!! I lvoe this thread!! LOve it!!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

ellis-interesting....no, you did not bore me with the Wal-Mart politics. I have heard a lot about Wal-Mart's being dirty...we must be really lucky, because ours is really clean.
I have no choice but to shop there-we have no Target or Joann Fabrics or any other department store in town-just a few small specialty shops in the mini mall like Bath and Body Works, Dollar General, Goodwill, etc. so it makes things hard NOT to go there. I just make sure that I squeeze them dry when I do, and be the biggest pain in the patoot that I can be...the coupons, ad matches, and if I want something they do not carry-I get on theri website and fill out a customer service form and have them start carrying it.
Our nearest Target/Joann Fabrics/TJMaxx/Sears and all the other larger stores I shop at are anywhere from 40 minutes to over an hour away. We are sort of halfway between two large cities-so we are kindof limited.
I tend to like to utilize smaller woman ran businesses when I can-I am a vendor for a silk belly dance veils, and the company is ran by a woman-she does all her own dyeing and shipping and everything. I also bought all of my breastfeeding items and clothing from Motherwear-a small woman owned company-rather than getting it from Motherhood or some larger retailer.
In Marion, a larger city about an hour away-I have seen the changes that I Wal-Mart can cause in the community. The northside of town used to be the busiest, and they had a small mall-not huge, but they had Hills, Elder Beerman, shoe stores, JC Penney, etc. and they had a KMart in the more south end of town. Within two years of Wal-Mart coming to town-KMart went out of business (I can't say that that is a total loss, because we got a Hobby Lobby there now-which we desperately needed) and all of the new businesses started popping up near the Wal-Mart-a Lowe's, new restaurants-and the north side pretty much went to a standstill. Hills went out of business soon in the mall-and I think that is because they carried a lot of the same items, like Kmart-that Wal-Mart did. The mall hasn't really been able to get anything in that large space. So-I don't know if Kmart or Hills pays any better or treats women any better than Wal-Mart and Lowe's-or the effect on the community in general-but those are the changes that we have seen there.
Aphil
Old 07-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #72  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Aphil-That is pretty typical of what happens. I don't know that a lot of the other stores are any bigger either, but since Walmart is the biggest it has become the main target. I like to support smaller businesses too, but sometimes you just can't AFFORD it!!! I try to strike a balance between my politics and my pocketbook. Target is probably pretty bad too, but I can afford it more than some of the other places around!!! Sounds like you don't have any choice where you are, and that is something else that they try for.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:08 PM   #73  

Exactly, Den!
We do not condemn you for shopping there, Aphil!
I have actually wandered in myself on occasion. (trying to find cheap running shoes for the kids in the fall )

There's a Walmart going up in a town close to our cottage. There are lots of wonderful shops there now, and I'll be sad to see them start closing.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 PM   #74  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My uncle in Scotland was telling my dad a few weeks ago how Walmart went in to Britain - got a break from the British government on taxes for xxxx number of years- put several british owned companies out of business, then when it came time for them to start paying taxes either left town or threatened to close all the stores (which would leave a ton of people unemployed) - the had the British goverment by the cohones but then the government allowed them to do what they wanted in the first place instead of supporting British businesses by giving them tax breaks

After reading those articles I am going to think twice about shopping at Wal-mart

I heard on the news this week that they just opened the first Walmart in Beijing -yeah just what they need!

Ellis- I am actually quite interested in consumer activism...any other good books or sites that you know of?

I try to shop at locally owned businesses in order to support the local economy. I also prefer street level shopping to giant mega malls- we buy all fruit and veg from the farmer's market during the summer (it's fresher and cheaper too) and then from the local shops as much as possible during the winter.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:10 AM   #75  

Yes, Mauvais! I have many links! Hundreds! But I'll just give you a few for now. Let me know if you want more.

http://www.corpwatch.org/
http://www.mcspotlight.org/
http://www.cog.ca/ottawa/index.html
http://www.truefoodnow.org/
http://www.dwatch.ca/
http://www.responsiblewealth.org/pre...report_pr.html
http://www.monitor.net/democracyunli...article.html#1
http://www.globalexchange.org/cocoa/
http://nikewages.org/
http://www.sweatshopwatch.org/
http://www.uniteunion.org/sweatshops/
http://www.whirledbank.org/development/gender.html