Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #481  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Eeks, my cals are up and down. Yesterday was nearly 1700 cals. At least I worked out on my elliptical. Today I did yoga and at 9 in the morning, I'm doing fine. But the morning munchies are nipping at my heels. I'd be slender if the morning munchies would permanently take a hike. So Tera and Darcy, do you have magic wisdom of how to make a sore neck stop hurting. It's so tight and sore and has been since Sunday evening. I've tried stretches and heat and OTC pain relief. Nothing has eased it. Any idea would be appreciated.

Tera, how is your new job going?
Marie
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #482  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

todays cals-2655, exerc-weight training class at the Y. I am not doing so well with my food choices. I need to be tough with myself but it is difficult with everything going on. However, things should be more routine now so, I think I can do better next week. I am glad I doing well getting back to my Y classes. I hurt all over too but I know it will get better in time. I try to ease into this stuff when I have been missing classes but there is still always some pain involved.

Marie-Sorry to hear about your neck pain. No fun at all. I find Aleve to be the most useful pain reliever. That and time. My job is going okay. The last person in this position quit suddenly and no one knows how to do her work. It is new software and a new industry for me so it is going to take awhile to get on board but I expect things will be fine. Never know for sure after last time!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #483  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Would it be ok if I joined you here? I had at one time been posting on the 2012 Challenge thread, but that fell by the way side ~ that’s me ~ my intentions are good, but I never seem to stick with anything.

Anyway, here I am again ~ all I can do is not beat myself and keep trying.

I was keeping track of my steps on the walking to Colorado Springs thread, but my pedometer quit working and I had some health problems to where I could barely move (had to use a cane) and so could not keep up with the walking.

2013 has been a horrible year in several areas of our life. The biggest have been the diagnosis of Rheumatoid arthritis, then in August lost my job. I’m looking, but haven’t found anything yet. DH is trying to work it that I might be able to retire early, but that will depend on if we can find affordable health insurance. The cost of health insurance without having a job is astronomical.

So, now that I have the time, I am trying to be more consistent with exercising and thought posting here would help me keep track and maybe want to keep going.

Saturday ~ walked 20 minutes on the treadmill. I know ~ doesn’t sound like much, but gotta start somewhere.

Today ~ 40 minutes of bike riding ~ love when the weather gets a little cooler so that I can do that.

I need to do better with my eating, but for now, I am going to focus on the exercise. Tackle one thing at a time and hopefully not feel overwhelmed.

Thank you all for letting me share.

Edited to add: Oh, I thought of another easy thing I can keep track of. Now that I am at home, I can get back into the habit of drinking my water (since the bathroom is close by ~ LOL ~ sorry if that is TMI). That has helped in the past ~ it sort of seemed like it helped pull the weight off.

Last edited by glynne; 09-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #484  

Hi Glynne-Welcome! We would love to have more folks join us here in our endeavor to take it off and keep it away. Sorry about the job loss. That is something I am very familiar with. I have been "let go" three times in three years! I have a new job as of a of a few weeks ago so hopefully this one will work out better. Anyway, no time like the present to address your health and wellness concerns. Good for you for biking and walking. Great start!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #485  

todays cals-2100, exerc-step class at the Y. I have been eating a lot of sugary processed food lately, something I have always successfully navigated in the past. I swear right now though-no more buying junk food for my pantry!!!

Marie-Whassup?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #486  

todays cals-2020, exerc-body sculpt class at the Y. I am happy with myself for getting to the Y this week, tracking my calories and posting here. Obviously I need to work on the calorie totals but that will come in time. I have been good about making all my meals at home but I am still eating too much sugar.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #487  
Want to feel better

Good evening,

Thankfully today, I felt better than I have in a while. Well, after I got rid of my headache that started last evening.

I felt bad because of the headache, I didn't ride my bike this morning. Had an appointment then some errands.

We have our little granddaughter every day after school ~ she and grandpa read a book for a while, then she decided she wanted to go to the park, so we rode our bikes there. That was my exercise for the day ~ I'm guessing maybe 1/2 hours worth.

Water yesterday ~ 3 glasses (kind of easing into that). No extra today ~ rather I drink it or not depends on what is going on ~ if I am not going to be around home, I don't want to load my bladder up and then have no where nearby to go when mother nature calls ~ LOL.

Terapet ~ you do really well keeping up with the classes at the "Y" ~ way to go.

Marie ~ hope all is well with you.

Mom2TCS ~ you are so busy ~ don't know how you keep up with all you've got going.

Take care all ~ hope you are having a good week.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #488  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Gayle, it's great to see you back with us! I am so sorry about your job. I know you enjoyed it even with the consultants making your work area less than idea. I do think you have the best line there is : "All I can do is not to beat myself and keep trying". A co-worker and I were just thiking about this yesterday. I fall off the wagon all the time. I'm surprised I have any non broken bones left. Post hysterectomy made my metabolism even nastier (I'm surprised that was even possible). Losing weight is near impossible but if I don't try, I will gain weight.

Tera, you're calorie counts are coming down and you're LOGGING them. I bet you'll be on the losing path!!! Great job. To answer whatssup? Satursday was freaky busy - had to washer/dryer shop as the dryer decided it was done. Then DH and I canned 15 quarts of marinara and made lasgna - defintely not diet friendly but I did choose the part-skim ricotta and skim mozzerella. Then early Sunday morning I got the nastiest stomach virus I've ever had. I was wondering how binge/purge dieters could ever do that. Eeks. So I'm quite sure I didn't gain weight. By Tuesday I was feeling better but swamped at work. And that brings us to today. I haven't logged my food since last Friday. EEKS!!!! I will get Lose It back out. I did start exercising again. Yesterday I rode my bike before work and did Yoga after. This morning I did the elliptical but it was clear I lost some power with that.

The neck pain I mentioned is still around but I'm quite convinced it is how I'm sleeping. This morning's alarm went off and I had my head at a 90 degree angle from my body. Basically laying on my side lengthwise on the bed and had my face aimed to the headboard. Yep that would do it. Now I have to figure out how to be aware while sleeping. This aging, achy body thing is just frustrating. But I'll figure it out. It is better by the way. Yesterday was nearly pain free. I get the sleeping issue figured out and I should be in good shape.

Darcy, I hope all is good in your very busy world!

And Tera, can you believe I have been practicing yoga religiously for over 6 weeks??? That's unheard of for me. I find it boring but lately I'm noticing more flexibility. That was the goal - that way when ski season starts, the crashes might not hurt as much.
Marie

PW We're going to have to start a new thread soon. 500 is the limit and I'm sure we'll be told to start new. Any great catchy titles we should use????
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #489  
Want to feel better

Good evening,

Got my bike ride in today ~ forgot my timer, but guess it was maybe around 40-45 min.

Started trying to count carbs today. Rie has helped me with the diabetes thing and given me lots of helpful guidance. My blood sugars have been up higher than the normal range, but not too awful bad.

Forgot all about the water today.

Been working on more job applications. Have to do 3 every week to collect the unemployment.

Marie ~ sorry you were sick, glad you are feeling better.

Tera ~ you can do it!!!

Mom2TCS ~ hello

Hope you all are having a good evening.

Last edited by glynne; 09-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #490  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Marie and Terapet, and welcome to the thread, Gayle!

I'm so sorry I've been MIA...days get crazy, and tell myself I'll hop on 3FC when I finish work...and then when 4:30 a.m. rolls around (5 of those nights in a row unfortunately!) and I'm finally done, all I hear is my pillow calling and tell myself I'll do it tomorrow...and we can see where that gets me. :-) Know that I'm thinking of you all and have good intentions.

A couple of weeks ago, on my last non-work weekend, I decided to start tackling my desk and made good progress...just 1 pile left and I can see wood grain on most of it now. Woohoo! I may not be losing any weight at the moment, but my desk has! Of course, then it was back to the grind and I haven't gotten any farther, but I'm defending the clean space.

This weekend we're having a family birthday party for my oldest son (just turned 18) and my niece (turned 13 three days before my son), along with my sister-in-law's cousin and her daughter who also have September birthdays. It's about 90 miles from here. I was asked to make the cake (I made my brother's wedding cake years ago and unfortunately they haven't forgotten LOL), so today (Friday) I'll be knee deep in cake and batches of mousse filling and buttercream icing...and royal icing as I attempt lace butterflies (to go with the flowers on half the cake) and music notes (for my son's half of the cake). Talk about sugar overload - I think I'll gain weight just from skin absorption as I decorate! In over my head? Probably. LOL

Gayle, I feel for you with the RA diagnosis. I was diagnosed in Nov 2005 and it was a long 6 weeks or so waiting to be seen and getting a diagnosis, while in constant pain in every joint. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone...and it has sure kept me faithfully taking the medicine because I don't want to repeat that. I hope they are finding meds that work and that your pain is under control!

Will try to check in on Sunday when the cake is only a memory. :-)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #491  
Lifelong Journey Member

Darcy, I used to decorate cakes and had to chew strong cinnamon gum to keep from wanting to eat the buttercream frosting. Sadly I didn't figure out that trick until I'd gained a bunch many years ago. Now I still use that trick when I make chocolate chip cookies. Because I LOVE choc chip cookie dough!

Gayle, good luck on the job search. Aren't you an RN? A couple of my nurse friends said our local hospital is always looking for floaters but not into hiring FT. Great job on the bike riding.

Tera, I hope all is well with you!

I think that my Lose It app needs to come out of hibernation. I'm doing well eating (heck I'm so good at it... just kidding I'm doing good at keeping control and good choices) and have been an exercise guru but Lose It keeps the actual number of calories in check. I have deemed for myself that October is Lose It month and that I will post the cal totals every day (and days that I don't get to 3FC will be posted as a running total). October will end in a loss. I will do, not just try, like my little Yoda says.
Marie

PS I will start a new thread October 1st since we're at 490 posts and 3FC will make us anyway. Should we call it the Holiday Challenge. Feedback or Title suggestions would be EXCELLENT!

Last edited by Marie; 09-29-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #492  

Hello all. No calories or exercise to report lately. I took a few days off while my DD was visiting. It was so nice to see her. She seems to be acclimating a bit more to her job situation and did not cry nearly as much this weekend. Our family time together did include home made chocolate chip cookies though.

Gayle-Good for you for getting some more bike time in and coming here to post. You are on your way.

Darcy-I have a desk like yours. I actually worked on it a bit Saturday morning while waiting for my sleeping beauties to awake. I still have a long ways to go on mine also.

Marie-I love the resolve in your post. I want to do it too. May the losing commence!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #493  
Want to feel better

Hello all,

Thursday ~ didn't get any exercise. Friday ~ only about 10 minutes on a bike at the "Y". Saturday ~ 40 minutes on my bike. Today ~ 35 minutes on my bike.

Been tracking my carbs. It is a learning process. Kind of trial and error. I have been eating good stuff, but sometimes the choices had too many carbs in them, so I need to learn from that and find a substitution next time.

Tera ~ glad you had/are having a nice visit with your daughter.

Marie ~ way to go with your good control and good choices.

Darcy ~ good job on the desk ~ I need to tackle my kitchen table. Clutter just seems to fly onto it

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Take care ~ Gayle
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #494  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all!

Tera, I'm glad you're DD is getting a little better about her new job and town. You never know - some day she just might love it and you'll be excited for that. I was sorely tempted to make choc chip cookies yesterday. I got busy, thank goodness, and never got around to it.

Gayle, I wouldn't say good control - not bad control would be more accurate. Tomorrow starts my one month logging challenge to myself.

And we need a thread name...

I ellipticalled this morning but didn't yoga yesterday so DH and I will do that when I get home from work. At seven last night he said we could get our yoga in and I laughed. I was watching the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy. I don't think so...

Hi Darcy!
Marie
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #495  
Want to feel better

Marie ~ for a title ~ that thing from Paul Harvey ~ the rest of the story ~ keeps coming to mind. Maybe 2013 ~ the rest of the story? Just a thought.
Closed Thread