Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #226  
Happy Member

Good Afternoon, People -

Driving on snow-packed or icy streets and roads is an ability that those of us who live in frigid climates need to acquire. It is different from driving on non icy streets and roads, but we just try to be careful and to allow more time for our excursions. I grew up in South-east Kansas where the winters were much more moderate than here in Wyoming, so I had to learn how to drive in icy conditions.

Gail - that sounds like quite a hike you and your DH took up the hill. I'm sure the view was wonderful, and the whole walk/hike sounds like great fun.

It's warmer and windy today. The weather people are telling us that it will be a nice night for Halloween Trick-or-Treaters this year, so I am looking forward to seeing all the little kiddies in their Haloween costumes. I'll probably wear a costume myself when I answer the door that evening.

Let's keep on keeping on -
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #227  

So glad that you posted this. I am "up there" in age and it seems that most people who share on this website are much younger. Thank you so much for all your information. I am "nowhere" with this weight loss and have no idea where to start for the umpteenth time. Thanks so much for your posts.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi grabec! I guess you just start at the beginning. I hear you on the "umpteenth time". I hope one of these times I get it right.

The method I have used is cutting out the junk food, calorie counting and slowly adding some exercise.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hello all.

Welcome grabec

I stayed within points, barely. I try and stay away from pasta because I find it difficult to stick with a small serving.

Oh well I still had weekly points t use and did.

Looks like it may rain here right up until Thursday.

Good night.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #230  
Happy Member

Welcome, Grabec - It's absolutely never too late to get started. I "yoyoed" all my life and didn't really get serious about losing weight until Iwas in my 70s. I used the Richard Simmons Foodmover, which is essential the exchange program. Now I am maintaining my weight loss just by portion control, especially controlling the carbs. So just start, and we'll encourage you on yourway.

We did our weekly grocery shopping this morning, and are fairly well-stocked now. I'm all ready for Halloween, and the weather people tell us that it should be a great night for Trick-or-Treating, so that should be fun.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those on the east coast as Hurricane Sandy is heading their way.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #231  
Happy Member

Double post, so I removed one of them.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 10-29-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: double post
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #232  

We are very grateful to be living out here in the desert where it is fairly safe most of the time. We have been watching the weather channel on and off this morning. Sure glad I am not any where near there.

We are going to Lancaster, a city about 100 miles away, for a Dr. appt for my DH. He has arthritis and is always looking for something to make him feel better. We will no doubt go grocery shopping while we are there.

It was in the low 80s yesterday. Seems like it will be about the same today.

Today is my day to do my strength building exercises. Before I start that, I have to recover from a broccoli overdose last night.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #233  
Happy Member

Hello, Friends - I think that there are both good and bad about wherever we live. No place isabsolutely perfect. Wyoming is our home, but we can have blizzards, loss of power, and an occasional tornado. And of course crime can happen anywhere in the world. But we like living here and plan to stay.

And it sounds like weather will be very nice for Halloween. So often it is so cold that the costumes of the little kiddies are covered up by parkas, but not this year.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a big pot of chili in the crock pot so it will make the house smell good all day while it is cooking. I have a Wendy's chili recipe that we like, so that'll be it. We like chili, and the leftovers can easily be frozen.

Let's keep on keeping on -
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #234  

Mmmm chili. I made some soup today with:chicken broth, one onion, a head of cauliflower, curry powder, garlic, and a hot pepper. I pureed it andit was so good.
I had WI last night and was up .2. I am hoping that is due to TTOM.
I will go to the pool tomorrow.

Let's keep our chins up.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #235  

I have been up a pound for the last few days. I have no explanation. Even if I have eaten too much to loose, I sure haven't eaten enough to gain.

We bought two big bags of pears in various stages of ripeness. We had some last night and they were really good! We also had big bowls of our homemade vegetable soup. Very comforting, although when the temperature is in the mid 80's, we don't need too much comforting. LOL.

Chili sounds so good. We bought dry beans yesterday, so we can make some, too.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #236  
Happy Member

Good Morning, Everyone - and a Happy November to one and all!

We had a nice Halloween last night. About 60 Trick-or-Treaters came by for a little visit and a little treat. They were all chatty and enjoying the evening. I actually sat out on the front deck for a while. So it was a very nice Halloween and we all enjoyed it.

Today it is cloudy and windy, not a nice day to start off the new month. But it's pretty typical of November in Wyoming.

PP - Your soup recipe sounds good. I like cauliflower, but I've never put it in a soup. I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Gail - This losing weight never goes completely smoothly as there are always little ups and downs for no particular reason. Just keep eating carefully and doing your driveway walking and the successes will continue.

Let's make November a positive month for each of us!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #237  

Well, I got in about 40 minutes of walking yesterday and 20 minutes today. Better than nothing, at least I hope so! Didn't loose, didn't gain.

I think the cat we inherited has actually lost a little weight. She was really pear shaped. I think maybe we are not feeding her as much canned food and perhaps she is getting a little more exercise running with the other cats in our long hallway. I always think hallways are kind of a wasted space, but it makes a good exercise run for the cats. They have their run first thing in the morning.

I had to have expensive maintenance on my car today. Aside from that, it was a beautiful fall day. Bright and breezy and 80+ degrees.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #238  
Happy Member

Good Morning -

I'm trying to maintain an attitude of gratitude throughout the month of November, so my thankful thought for today is - I am continually thankful for coffee. I've been drinking coffee for many, many years, and I do enjoy it. I like that first cuppa in the morning, but I really love that second cup. It's that second cup that boosts my spirits, puts a smile on my face, and enables me to face the new day. Yes, I'm very thankful for my coffee.

We bought groceries this morning, and I have them all put away now. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #239  

When I see the pictures of the devastation from the storm, I am grateful for so many things. On a smaller scale, I am grateful to live out here where we are closer to nature. I enjoy the wild life and the quiet. We know our neighbors here better than I ever knew any neighbors in town and we all help each other out.

I, too, love all cups of coffee from early morning until my last cup about 3pm.

There is a little group of burros hanging around the neighborhood. This morning, there was one in our driveway, so we got a good look at him/her. Our dogs feel that they have to bark like crazy and threaten the burros a little, so our visitor didn't stay long. I can tell that the dog is more afraid than threatening, but I guess the burro doesn't know.

I made chili with sweet curry seasoning. Ingredients: pinto beans, bell pepper, canned tomatoes and onion. Cooked it all down to chili consistency and ate it! Today when I reheated it for lunch, I added more curry powder and half an apple chopped fine. I topped my bowl with Greek yogurt and chopped fresh mint. Yummy!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #240  

I love my coffee too. I usually have two cups in the morning. I will sometimes have a third cup out or a skinny latte. I take mine with a little cream. I wish I could take milk but cream it must be and no sugar. I cannot tolerate even a drop of sugar. If I drink coffee too late in the day it keeps me up all night.

Jojojo and Gail How do you take your coffee? Do you like flavored coffee?

Gail How cool you have wild burros around. My Dad always wanted to live in Arizona because the dry heat is supposed to be good for arthritis.

I had a massage today and made chicken sausages and eggs for dinner. Have a good night.