Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #151  
Happy Member

I know exercise is important for all of us, but I find it more difficult as I age. I do force myself to do a walkabout in the neighborhood every so often, but that will be ending soon as the winter weather moves into our area. I do stay pretty active though, but I've never been a real exercise addict, although I know some people who live to exercise. That's not for me.

Gail, I think you are doing great, so keep doing it. You can tell that it is benefiting you.

Mexican food, that is one of my downfalls. We had some Sunday, and it knocked me right off that weight-loss wagon. I've climbed back on, but it'll take a day or so to get myself back where I was.

This is a pretty time of year in Wyoming. We don't have the brilliant reds and crimsons of the trees that we had back in the midwest, but we do have the golds and yellows that tell us the seasons are changing.

Yes, I'm wearing my jeans and long-sleeved shirt today. The shorts and t-shirts are packed away for another year.

Let's keep on keeping on.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

We went grocery shopping today. I bought a bunch of fruit and veggies. I am eating an apple right now, and unfortunately it is very sour. It is a Gala which is supposed to be sweet! I don't know what I'll do with them if they are all sour.

I also got my ankle weights, too. I haven't had a chance to even look at them yet.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #153  
Happy Member

I've noticed that the apple crop this year doesn't seem to be as good as usual. I bought a sack of Galas recently, and one was spoiled. The others taste pretty good though. Galas are my favorite apple. If they are too sour, maybe you could just make applesauce or stewed apples from them, using Splenda or Truvia.

Ankle weights are something I've never tried, though I have used hand weights on walks in the past. Anything of that nature should be helpful.

It turned fairly cold last night, but it looks like today will be a pretty day.

Did I mention our plumbing problems? I can't remember. Anyway we had a week of stopped up kitchen sink. So that got unstopped, plus we had a leaky pipe, so that got replaced. The new hot water tank will be delivered this afternoon. And now our dishwasher is acting up. It's been one thing after another. The dishwasher acting up irritates me as I have been hoping to have a family party next Tuesday in honor of my husband's 93rd birthday, and I really hate to invite people in for supper with the dishwasher not working for us. Probably I should just invest in paper plates and go for it. The occasion for a 93rd Birthday Party doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, I'm still maintaining my weight loss, and that is something to be thankful for. Let's just keep on keeping on.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 09-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #154  

I am making the print bigger and bolder to make it easier to read. I am sure if there is any objection to this, someone will let me know very quickly. LOL.

I hope your plumbing is fixed now. I think I mentioned that I would rather do without electricity than without a functioning water system. It is so inconvenient.

Have you made plans for the 93rd birthday party? I think paper plates would be fine, especially if you can't use the dishwasher. After all, it is to honor your husband, not to show off your fine china, although nice dishes are fun, too.

Yesterday, I listened to an audio book while I walked. I am so happy that it made the time seem go by much faster. I am not loving the exercise, so anything to make it easier is good.

Today, I tried on a couple of blouses and slacks from my huge collection of smaller clothing and they fit!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #155  
Happy Member

Hi, Gail - You really don't need to enlarge and bold your posts on my account. Actually I manage to read your posts just fine.

We attemded a birthday party this afternoon. Our dear friend celebrated her 90th Birthday, which is an occasion for a celebration. She is a dear lady whom we have known for over 50 years. She is doing very well, too.

The weather is definitely fall-like these days, and I am enjoying it. The air is nice and crisp, and things have cooled down quite a bit. There is a possibility of snow this coming week. Here it can happen any time of the year, and quite often in October.

Our plumbing problems havew been dealt with, the water pipes are drainage system are working very well. We had a new hot water tank installed, and it is working well. Next Tuesday will be the first delivery of the water softener salt. And the technician to deal with the dishwasher will be here Tuesday afernoon. Probably the birthday party will be Tuesday, but I guess I can cook around the dishwasher technician. We are hoping that problem can be dealt with easily. So we will see what we will see.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #156  

It looks like I am hollering when the print is big and bold. LOL.

The dishwasher tech. will probably want to stay and eat.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #157  
Happy Member

I may even invite the dishwasher tech to stay for the party.

My loss of eyesight has its funny side - I look at the morning newspaper, and I can't read any of it, including the headlines. But if I get out my little lighted magnifying glass I can read the text of the stories. I still can't read the headlines, but I can read the rest of the stuff, although it goes slowly. That's exactly why I can read posts more easily if they are just in regular print, not bolded or anything like that. Thanks for the thought, though.

Today our son and DIL took us out to brunch after church in honor of Bob's upcoming birthday. It was very nice. We had a good meal, and a great visit, and we all enjoyed it.

Tomorrow I will be doing some preliminary cooking for the get-together on Tuesday. Tuesday's meal will be a simple one. It'll be fun. When Bob had his 90th birthday three years ago we did have a big bash of a party at our church. Most of the congregation showed up to wish him the best, and we even had some relatives come from Colorado to join in the fun. I'm a firm believer in having happy get-togethers while we can all enjoy them, rather than the necessary sad get-togethers as we say a final "Goodbye."

The weather continues to cool down a bit, and there is talk of snow in the mountains about Wednesday of this week. I guess it is time for it.

Everyone, keep on keeping on -
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #158  

You might be better off not reading the headlines. LOL!

My grandmother's magnifying glass has a pretty high magnification. I frequently use it for looking at genealogy records, and I understand what you mean about reading large print. The older I get, the more light I need to read anything. My husband who was very near-sighted all his life seems to have no trouble now.

According to something I read recently, socializing with friends is very important to our well being and longevity, so it sounds like you are doing the right thing for your health. Health benefits aside, birthday parties are fun.

I'm happy today because I weighed-in at 170.5; it won't be long now until I am in the 160s. Yesterday, I walked 45 minutes and consumed 1356 calories.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #159  
Happy Member

LOL - Yes, I really don't miss reading the headlines these days at all. I know what you mean.

We started our little church 50 years ago, and we were a group of young marrieds with little kids whose family members lived elsewhere. So we formed close bonds with the other members of our "church family." I think it does help in our senior years to have that kind of support.

Well, the birthday boy has received some phone calls and some birthday cards. Our son and his wife plus one granddaughter will be showing up for a birthday meal this evening. Another granddaughter delivered some flowers this morning as she works for a local florist. So the birthday boy has had a happy day of it.

I've taken it easy today. It'll be a nice meal, but I figured that I would enjoy it more if I didn't overwork, so I didn't. LOL

The leaves are falling from the trees today, and it's fun to scuff through them. We'll probably have bad weather come in tonight, so the tender plants have been brought into the house. The four-letter work in the forecasts these days is SNOW. It's time for it.

Continue that weight-loss, Gail, you are doing wonderfully well. Congratulations on your continuing success with the scales.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #160  

Happy Birthday to your husband!

I think there is a book to be written about your church. Are you familiar with Jan Karon's books? She writes fiction about an Anglican minister and his adventures as a pastor. I think she made a ton of money on the series.

Last night, I heard a strange noise. The cats heard it, too, and were on high alert. Every dog in the area was barking. Jerry had already gone to bed, so I worked up my nerve and went outside where our dogs were quite happy to have my moral support in the investigation of the noise. It turned out to be an individual of the braying or hee-hawing persuasion. I know we are supposed to have burros around here, but this guy looked much too big to be a burro. If I hadn't heard its call, I would have thought it was a horse. The only thing I can think of is that I was just excited and a burro seemed large in my mind. Anyway, it was fun to see the animal. One of the dogs ran up to him and he kind of stamped his feet at the dog, who backed off. And so did I!

Grace and coordination are not exactly my greatest gifts. I am trying to learn these exercises on the CDC website. There is a lot of "on the count of four", "10 repetitions", "foot flexed" etc. I am having trouble getting everything right at once, but I guess I will improve with practice.

I walked 50 minutes this morning.

Last edited by gailr42; 10-02-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add a sentence.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #161  
Happy Member

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my DH. We had a great party - good food, good company, good conversation. It was all very nice. And the dishwasher got fixed just before I started putting items for the feast in the oven. Yep, I exercised a lot of patience the past few days - does that exercise count?

I did a walkabout in the neighborhood this morning, and tonight we are expecting a hard freeze. So it goes in the mountains. The leaves are falling off the trees, and it was actually rather fun to scuff through them this morning like the kiddies do. Simple pleasures you know.

I looked up burros on the Internet this morning. Evidently they have no natural enemies so they are growing more numerous. Maybe you could tame one and train it to go with you on your driveway walks. That'd be fun.

I guess I could write a history of our church. I was church secretary for 25 of it's 50 year history. But confidentially keeps me quiet, and perhaps that is best. No, I am not acquainted with Jan Karon specifically, but I've probably read some of her books. My husband was an elder for many years in our church, and our son is an elder now. I was just thinking - if I were to write a book, and have it published, I'd probably have to leave the church myself. No, it's best that I just stay quiet -

Let's just keep on keeping on -
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #162  

Someone asked on here if hot flashes burned calories. No one seemed to have a definitive answer. I suspect that there might be similar opinions about exercising patience. I think keeping one's mouth shut must burn quite a few calories.

It sounds like your "birthday boy" had a very good day.

I'll bet Autumn is really beautiful in WY. It was over 100* here yesterday. Everything just looks dead. No pretty leaves. I think I am going to go to Michigan at the end of the month. There should be some leaves to see there.

Yesterday I walked, today I did the strength building exercises. It took me an hour and a half to get through the exercises, but that was because I was trying to learn the routine. Some of the exercises look a lot easier than they are. I feel fine tonight, but I suppose I might be sore tomorrow. I weighed in at 170 even this morning. I'll bet I get into the 160s pretty soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #163  
Happy Member

We had a hard freeze last night so I am glad I brought the tender plants ndoors for the wnter. It has remained quite chilly all day today, and the leaves have been falling from the trees. It is fun to scuff through the fallen leaves, just like the kiddies do.

We grew up in Kansas which had the reds and crimsons in the fall. I'm sure you will see beautiful colors on your trip to Michigan. We visited Michigan years ago about this time of year, and it was beautiful. We drove around Lake Superior, which was great fun. There's lots to see in Michigan.

Gail - you'll soon be well into those 160s. You are really having great success in your weight loss efforts, due to all your hard work. Keep it up!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #164  

I sure do appreciate your generous support for my weight loss efforts. I hope I can get to goal and then maintain like you have.

This morning, Jerry and I walked around our property looking at the chickens, the water tank, the Oleanders etc. We were out there for 40 minutes or so. Then I walked with the purpose of exercise for about 50 minutes, so I think I got enough for today. Sometimes I am pretty tired after walking. Tomorrow I will try the strength building exercises again.

We had Tacos for supper. They are actually pretty healthy if you make them at home. I used about a tablespoon total of the meat and the rest was no-fat-added beans, lettuce, bell pepper, corn, Cilantro, and onions all topped with a spoon of fat free yogurt. Usually I give the tortillas a shot of Pam and put them in the toaster oven until they are just a little brown. Tonight, I just ate them warmed. So far today, I have had 1272 calories.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #165  

I weighed in at 169.5 this morning. I was so happy I almost cried!