Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I like food more than I need to. I think cooking our own food, as we seem to do in this group, is good for food lovers. You can work on a recipe until it is really good and still fits into your calorie/exchange plan. My goal is to create something that I would enjoy if I had it at a restaurant. It has to taste good and look good.

When we first moved out here, I was all gung-ho to dry my clothes on the line. Besides being somewhat time consuming, the sun was very hard on the fabrics. Things faded and weakened. Even though the climate was fine year around, I ended up using the dryer. I hope yours is now functioning properly, Jo.

I am feeling better every day. Maybe tomorrow I will try a short walk.

Swimming is hard for me. I don't know if I am afraid of the water or what. It is supposed to be easy on the joints. Do it until you get tired of it and then join the gym or whatever. I have to keep remembering to "just do it"!

I don't know if my weight loss was due to being sick, or due to not eating too much while I was sick. LOL. I'll take it.

We have a lady friend who lives alone and is about 75 years old. No one could locate her this morning, so finally one friend had the police do a "welfare check", and there she had fallen and couldn't get up. It all started when she didn't show up for swimming with a friend. She is ok, but still she had to sleep on the floor all night. I sure hope if I get this weight off and do my strengthening exercises that I will be able to get up if I fall.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I miss being able to hang clothes outside on the line, at least in the summer time.

Gail I am glad your friend is okay. That sounds scary. I knew a lady that fell on the balcony and spent a day laying outside. Her son got her some alarm she now wears on her neck so she can alert an alarm company if it happens again.

Hi Jo and Atamantha.

I have a dinner out today so wish me luck.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #378  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Gail, when I moved to a desert area, I also had a goal to dry clothes on a line outside and actually I've kind of done that for 15 years because I don't want to buy a dryer. However now I basically use the local laundromat (sp?) these days as water is so expensive and my washer doesn't work well and I don't want to buy a dryer. I save oodles o' $ and it is more efficient as I go grocery shopping while my clothes are washing & drying.

Yea, agree on the cooking, can control what is in it and make it taste better in most cases (for me) than a restaurant, although I still enjoy going to restaurants and that is always a challenge for me calorie wise, but it is a time to see friends when I go.

JoJo, so true about how one can't really give up eating. I gave up smoking years ago because to tell the truth I didn't enjoy it and it was a health risk, ditto on a lot of things.

Lol, I am NOT going to give up eating what I enjoy, but neither am I going to give up living life at a sane weight or feeling good, so I am committed to cooking and weight watching forever, amen.

Plucky Pear, I'd love to swim if I could do it but I have always been fearful of it as I almost drowned trying to learn in early childhood. My brother then tried to teach me for years and years until he got frustrated with my lack of trying and gave up ... good for you for using that excellent form of exercise. Your haddock dinner sounds good. What is rampini?

I lost a pound (same pound I gained last week). I do blog on all that weigh-in jazz extensively, so 'nuff said, still trying to get to 129.8 on December 30. Woot!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #379  

amarantha rapini lol I must have made a typo. Sometimes I use my Ipad and the amount of errors is high, I do not catch them all. The auto correct on it drives me nuts. It creates crazy words too.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #380  

Just to clarify, I am talking about making food at home that has a "professional" quality to it, using fresh, nutritional ingredients. I'm not saying I want to emulate Micky D's or Appleby's. I am also not saying I achieve this "professional wonderfulness" very often. LOL. It is just something to strive for.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #381  
Happy Member

Good Evening -

I think we all strive to do the best we can at whatever we attempt to do, we like to excel in our efforts, and that includes cooking. I'm not a great cook, but I do like to have the meals I serve be as healthy as possible, and as attractive as possible. I like to have the food colorful, hot if it is supposed to be hot and cold if it is supposed to be cold, and appropriate for the occasion.

We eat out occasionally, probably averaging once a week, but I do prefer home-cooked foods. Not only is the food I cook probably more nutritious, it certainly is more economical, and that is very important as we are on a limited retirement income. Also, when I cook something, I know exactly what ingredients that item contains. Home-cooking is really a win-win activity.

Having said that, now I will admit that we ate out this noon. I ate carefully, and it was good.

PP - I grew up right close to the city municipal pool, so I'm a good swimming and I thoroughly enjoy swimming. I no longer drive, so my swimming is limited now, but I remember those days fondly.

Amarantha - on the weight lost. You are certainly heading in the right direction.

Gail - I agree that a clothes dryer is easier on the clothes than drying them outdoors in the sun and the wind, etc. It turns out that our dryer was 35 years old, so we may have to bite the bullet and get a new one. Also clothes dried in a dryer seldom need to be ironed, and I noticed that the clothes dried on a line often need to be ironed to be presentable. I HATE to iron.

Have a Happy Monday!
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #382  
Empress/Queen

Thanks, JoJo!

Gail, I knew what you meant by professional quality restaurant food at home.

I think I am just going for old-fashioned home cooked food, although I used to try to cook like a French chef.

Glad you are not trying to emulate Mickey D lol.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #383  

Good Morning.

I cook tasty food but admit my presentation could improve. I like to put my foods on top of my rice or quinoa. So I make those plain.

Swimming today, WI and then a holiday dinner. I had a holiday dinner last night too.

Have a good day.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #384  

On new iPhone. My first ever post.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #385  
Happy Member

Good Morning -

Gail - It worked!!!

PP - Enjoy your swim.

Amarantha - I think the more you cook, the more comfortable you will be with it.

I had hoped to go grocery shopping this morning, but it is too windy for me. Hopefully the wind will settle down later today. My DH is off discussing with professionals whether the Maytag dryer of over 35 years can be put back in working order. I doubt if it can as it is well past warranty.

We are having left-over roast beef tonight, plus veggie salad and a broccoli/cauliflower casserole.

Let's all make this a great day!
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #386  

The 35 year old Maytag is probably a much better product than the new ones. There really isn't that much to go wrong with a dryer, so I hope you can get it repaired.

I am going to have to get back on the program with logging my food into FitDay. I kind of slacked off because I was sick. If I am well enough to go to work, I am well enough to log and to quit eating stuff I would rather not admit to.

Yes, my post from the iPhone worked! I managed to find my email and figure out how to get on the internet. Let me tell you, the screen is really small and therefore hard to read, but it did work.

Last night, I put some cauliflower on the grill. I sprayed it with PAM and sprinkled chili powder on it. What would have been really good is lime juice with it. It was just a bit dry and the lime juice with the chili would be a nice combo.

I also cracked open my new bottle of Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut dressing. Yum yum yum...I could drink it straight out of the bottle, but I had it on a salad with sprouts, radishes and lettuce. I can imagine using this dressing in various Asian inspired dishes.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #387  

Hello.

Just a quick post.

WI lost 3.8
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #388  

Good job, PP! Keep on keepin' on.