Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Jo, when you were loosing weight, how many calories a day did you allow yourself? I was trying for 1200, but I can't seem to stick to it. If I go to bed hungry, I know I will wake up in the night really hungry and eat something really bad like a half a cup of peanut butter straight from the jar. It seems like it is better to have a reasonable bed time snack than binge later, but then I exceed 1200 calories.

I walked 2.27 miles today. I am pooped and my feet hurt! My neighbor who is probably a little younger than I am and very slim, said she would walk with me any time I wanted. She is single and does a lot of manual labor around her place.

My husband just brought in a 17lb watermelon. The melon was a nice bright pink color and sweet and juicy. I am not especially fond of watermelon, but it sure is fun to get one out of our own garden.

I was down a pound this morning. Hooray!!!!

Last edited by gailr42; 09-15-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: word order, more word order
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #137  
Happy Member

Another lb. down? Gail, you are doing great!!!

Basically when I started my weight loss program, I was doing the Richard Simmons Foodmover program which is diet and exercise. It is basically an exchange program, but you can figure out the calorie count. At first I was on about 14oo calories per day, then after a bit of weight came off the program lowered to 1200 calories for me. That's probably about my calorie intake these days although I really don't count calories. What I do now if portion control - essentially eating less. I do tend to fill up on veggies and I do have a bed snack, usually a few peanuts or a sugar-free cookie or a hunk of cheddar cheese. Every so often a lose a few ounces, which is nice. I'm hoping to maintain my weight loss, and that isn't always easy.

Pacific Power and Light has informed those who live in our subdivision that power here will be off from 10:00 PM tonight until 7:00 AM tomorrow. This is for needed power maintenance. Tonight is no problem, but tomorrow morning may be as we leave for church at about 7:30 AM, and I sure like my coffee and oatmeal before church.

It would be nice if the weight would come off right now, if not sooner. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. We should do the best we can, and be patient with our bodies as they adjust to the changes we are forcing on them. Weight loss is not easy, but it can be done. You are doing it, Gail, and so am I. Good for us!!!

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 09-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #138  

Here's hoping the power outage went as expected. It is a pain to have the electricity off, but to me the biggest pain is to have no water.

Our phone was off from Friday until this morning. They tell me that you can always call 911 even if the phone is off because, somehow, it is hooked up via satellite. So, I guess as long as I can get emergency services, I am ok with no phone for a while.

I was really tired and sore the other day after I did 30 laps of my driveway. I am thinking maybe when I push myself, I should take a break with a shorter walk the next day.

Nothing interesting going on here. It is slightly cooler, but I am sure we will have at least one more really hot spell before it cools off for good.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #139  
Happy Member

I don't know if we actually had a power outage. If we had one, we slept through it. Some of our friends had more of a problem, with the power outage lasting well into Sunday morning. Oh, well, hopefully they got the problem dealt with.

We are aliding right on into fall weather here. It gets pretty cold at night, but then warms up during the day. The trees are beginning to change color, and some leaves have fallen. I like this season, it's probably my favorite season of the year.

Gail - You posted a recipe here some time ago, made with ground turkey. I made it with ground beef. Anyway, today I made stuffed peppers for supper, and used the results of that recipe for the stuffing. It was very good, too. It came out a little differently than the usual stuffed peppers, but I know it was healthier, so that's OK. So I'm thanking you for sharing the basic recipe.

Nothing much happening here, too. I guess it's just normal at times. But let's just keep living, and enjoying life.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 09-18-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #140  

I have had such a "taste" for stuffed peppers lately. I have some of that bean mix in the freezer and I think I could stuff a few peppers.

I also had a craving for cantaloupe (musk melon). My regular store did not have one single cantaloupe, so I went to the second store just for melons. At least I wasn't craving a Big Mac.

We got another cat from the family of a lady that passed away. The cat is very nice. She is friendly, but not too pushy with the cats we already have. Her name is Sophie and she has siamese markings. She is shaped like a pear. I need to get her on a diet!

I worked extra again this week. I did my "chair" exercises.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #141  

Down a pound this morning! And I walked 2.27 miles. If I can loose one more pound before the end of September, I will have lost 5 pounds for the month.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #142  
Happy Member

Gail - You have certainly found the combination that works for you. Congratulations on another lb. gone forever, and there is certainly enough time for you to drop another lb. before the end of September. Just stick to it, and keep a smile on your face!

We ate out this evening, and that's always nice. But the reason for eating out wasn't so nice - our kitchen sink stopped up this morning, and the fellows can't get here to unplug the thing until tomorrow morning. So, since I don't cook with a stopped-up sink, we ate out. See, there's always a silver lining to every cloud.

Otherwise things are just as usual here. The sun set tonight was into a smoky sky. The mopping-up operation on Casper Mountain seems to be progressing OK. A big soaking rain would be nice to have, but it isn't in the current forcast. Hopefully soon though.

Let's keep at this careful eating program plus the exercise - it's the way to live a healthy life.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #143  

My neighbor gave me some home grown butternut squash. I cooked one and pureed it with my stick blender. Then I added some chicken stock, sauteed onions and garlic, and it was soup. I garnished it with a tsp of light sour cream, bacon bits and minced parsley. It was very sweet and good. I had a 1/2 C portion of the soup and a spinach/pear/grape salad for lunch.

I also made some sausage and vegetable soup. I used chicken sausage. I will portion it out and freeze it for my lunches. After all the cooking, I cleaned my refrigerator. I don't know how it gets so messy and disorganized in such a short amount of time.

We'll just keep chugging along with our good eating habits, at least I hope so!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #144  
Happy Member

That butternut squash soup sounds pretty good. I've never made anything like that myself, but it does sound good on a cold, winter day. Soup helps warm a person up in the wintertime.

I did think of you when I bought a cantaloupe yesterday. We usually have a melon of some sort on hand. I'll chop up some cantaloupe, add some seedless grapes, and a sliced banana, and call it a fruit salad. I have to be a bit careful of the fruit though, as a diabetic the sugars in the fruits cause my glucose levels to rise a bit.

Actually I love veggies, and can fill up on them very easily. They have very few calories, so taht's all to the good.

We had a meeting at church this morning of our little group. We are all getting older, and for some of us it is becoming more difficult to do the activities that we used to do. But we still like to get together and just visit.

Yep, we've kist gpt tp lee[ cjiggomg along with our good eating habits. It's the best thing we can do. And let's keep smiling -
Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #145  

I think social gatherings at church are nice because then no one has to clean her entire house for company. You just have to clean up after the meeting. I think getting to relax and enjoy your friends is a benefit of getting older. Let the young folks save the world while you cheer them on.

This morning, I walked 2.27 miles. It took me 48 minutes, so I think I am going to set a timer for 45 minutes for my walks. Then I won't have to count laps. Without the distraction of counting, I can enjoy the sunrise or my own thoughts.

I am going to have salmon with pesto sauce, wild rice mix, home grown green beans and a spinach salad for dinner. There will be a very small serving of pesto and rice and a very large serving of spinach and green beans. Jerry is going to have left-over pot roast. He doesn't like fish. I had the pot roast the first time, but it feels pretty high calorie to me.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #146  

Hi Everyone, I am in the same boat I am 67 but just can not get anymore weight off. I weighed 220 lbs now weigh 184 lbs. Am 5'4 would like to loose about 40 lbs yet but would be happy to at least loose 30 lbs. It would help.
I am in remission from Non Hodgkins lymphoma and had to do chemo and radiation and surgeries two. Plus had to take steroids of 6 month and that had me gain 20 lbs. I am in remission since December of 09. But now I need to get with it to loose my 40 lbs. love to join you all. Hilde
hilde451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #147  

Hi Hilde! Welcome to our group. How wonderful that you are in remission. Have you thought about what your plan of attack will be? I am eating relatively "clean" and counting calories. I wish I could stick to 1200, but, in fact I am achieving much closer to 1400. It is slower going, but I am not so hungry all the time. I have started a walking program. Well, "program" sounds kind of formal; I'm just getting my shoes on and getting out there. My goal is to walk 2 miles three times a week. I am close to that goal.

My nickname used to be Hilde. It is the first part of my maiden name.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #148  
Happy Member

Hi, Hilde - Glad to have you chiming in on this weight-loss challenge for those of us who are older in years but still young at heart! Yes, it is difficult, and it gets more difficult as we age.

I lost about 65 lbs. while in my 70s, but now I struggle to keep it off. I lost the weight with Richard Simmons and his Foodmover, which is essentially the exchange program. Now I try to eat moderately emphasizing veggies. Old habits die hard though, and it is a struggle.

Like you, I am a cancer survivor, and that does play into this whole thing. While I was in the treatment program for breast cancer, my oncologist did not want me to lose any more weight. Now I am in remission.

Well, I guess we just gotta keep at it, and never give up. I also firmly believe that we should keep smiling -
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #149  

I've been reading about strength training. This CDC website has some good information about strength training for seniors. I can see myself incorporating some of this with my walking. I could walk three days and do this two days and just about meet the CDC standards for enough exercise.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...ger/index.html

I get really discouraged when people on this website gleefully chortle on about doing hours of exercise every day. For me the whole point of loosing weight and exercising is so that I can better enjoy life, not to make exercising be my life.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #150  

It was actually cool out at 6:30 this morning. What a relief. I walked for 45 minutes, which seemed like forever!

The weather reporter commented that it is getting to be fall in the High Desert because the temperature is only going to be 88*. We tend to think of anything under 100* as being quite temperate.

Jerry made Mexican food for supper last night. I walked in the door hungry and chowed down way too much of it, but it sure was good. Tonight, I am going out with my friend for dinner. I will have to exercise a little restraint.

I an going to go to Wal-Mart and get some ankle weights so I can start doing the knee strengthening exercises in the CDC website. I want to be able to use my stair-stepper as well as be able to get up off the floor after I clean the cat box. Don't I have an exciting life?