Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #46  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! I've really kept up with my housework this week which has meant little time to be online. This morning we went to Joe's PT. He could go by himself but I prefer to go to make sure he understands and remembers what they tell him. That sounds like he's demented which he definitely is not but he is hard of hearing and also tends to hear things or remember them the way he wants to not necessarily the way they were said. Hope that doesn't sound critical or disrespectful, we all do that sometimes I think, but I do try and help him and he seems to appreciate it.

Then after PT, we went to Portland and made the deposit on our patio door. We went there to pay it to get things started more quickly. It will still take about two weeks to get the door and then hopefully they can get right out and install it. We'd like it done before our dd and her children come on the 29th. Can't wait to have our new door!

Then we went to Home Depot for grass seeds (had a $5 coupon!) and weatherizing stuff for other doors. Now that Joe is more up to it, he wants to get a few things done before the weather gets colder. And when the big tree was removed it left a hole in our front yard so we need to replant grass there.

Dh wanted to have lunch at Dennys and we shared the 3 mini-cheeseburgers and onion rings. Not exactly diet food but I ended up only eating a 1/2 burger and then about 1/3 of another and they are pretty small. I did eat about 1/2 the onion rings though. haven't been very hungry today...could only eat about 1/2 my cereal (serving size on pkg) with about 1/3 cup milk and 1/2 banana for breakfast and had no morning snack. So I'm surprised I wasn't more hungry for lunch.

Also made a stop at the CU to make a small deposit of some money I had earned doing surveys online. Anyone else do surveys online to earn a few extra bucks? While I was there I withdrew some cash I'd been saving for our gs college graduation gift. Giving him a bit of it now as he is moving to the other side of the state and I'm sure he has lots of expenses. He is coming tomorrow now instead of Thursday and we can't wait to see him.

Tonight I prepared oven-baked chicken breasts (I cut them up into strips as we don't like big pieces of meat)...I sprinkled with salt and pepper, a tiny bit of dried rosemary and lemon juice, baked 40 min and the last 10 min. I topped with 2 slices of cheese. It was really good. I didn't have the nutrition label of the cheese but I counted it as regular rather than the lower cal I usually eat, so this meal was a little higher in cal than usual for us but since I'd eaten fairly light (in calories) I felt it was ok. I had a small salad and at least a 1/2 cup of mixed veggies and a couple rice cakes (35 cal each with 1 t. Smart Balance).

Toonses - glad to know you, Sherrill! You look really nice. Grandchildren are a good reason to start a diet, aren't they?!!

Lynn - all that exercise plus low cal you should do very nicely in the weightloss department!

Ellabella - Glad you missed the storms but sorry about the electrical shortage or whatever it was...phone, tv, internet...whatever do you do without them?!! I'd be lost for sure! Sounds like you had a real blast with the grandkids!

Bobbi - the drano can thing makes me sick...what is the matter with people...even kids...to want to do something like that?!! It's really sad.

Just remembered I sprayed my bathtub and left it to sit and didn't get back in there to clean it. LOL Guess I better do it now before I forget all about it again.

Have a good evening everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 09-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I finally got on here, but it will be a quick flyby. For some reason, when I try to get on the 50s thread, I get something from Target. Most of the time I just give up. I consider myself luck to be able to finally get to the challenge and post there. I don't have the problem getting to the other thread I'm on so not sure what the problem is here.

Everything is going well. Staying OP. It took some work having to take the sit off and drill a whole so it could be lowered, DH was able to lower the seat on my stationary bike so I can use it. So I'm getting that in 5 minutes each day now. Hope to build up to 15 eventually on it. I was told once that it is one of the best ways to burn calories.

Well it is late and I have to get up early in the morning as DH has a test for the coumadin and then we are headed to Walmart to get my prescriptions and a few veggies I need.

Catch y'all again when I can get on here.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #48  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning girls!
I have errand in town so will make this quick. Thanks for sharing your name Sherrill, is it pronounced Sher-rill?
Trish...I get a Adirondack ad that pops up here when I try to get on. You can't scroll down, type or do anything until it pops off all by itself, very annoying. But since this is a free site, someone has to pay for it with those ads. I timed how long it takes before it pops off, it's under a minute but seems like much longer.
Quote:
Well, I finally got on here, but it will be a quick flyby. For some reason, when I try to get on the 50s thread, I get something from Target. Most of the time I just give up.

Dr. Oz was on this morning talking about the pre-cancerous polyp they found in his colon. He said Monday morning they will start a new series called taking 10. It's about exercising, losing weight, etc. You all try to catch it if you can, should be very informative. Some of the things he mentioned we already know but it never hurts to be reminded of the facts.
I'm off to the library, grocery store, and visit MIL at nursing home. She is getting so confused, calls us every day and says we can take her home today. She forgets her home is sold and she's living at the nursing home. This is the 8th move for her, last nursing home she was kicked out of because she's so nasty to her roommates.
Have a good one!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-08-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #49  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Sherrill, LOVE the pictures! Wow, you can really see your difference, and it looks just fab! We love pictures, so don't worry about doing too many of them!

Nothing to report... status quo, which is how I like it! I'm off to gather up Granny (Mom) for the grocery store outing, and I might get my hair cut. I thought I might do that yesterday, too, and didn't... for some reason, that seems like such a waste of money! It grows so fast!

REALLY nothing to report, obviously! PT/Zoe, hope your electronic woes are fixed! Everyone, be safe!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Today was an "OFF" day for marathon training. Tomorrow I go from 25 minutes of fast walking to 35 minutes. This morning, I upped my eliptical to 18 minutes - my goal is to increase my minutes until they match my fast walking days.

Nothing special planned for today. Just doing my class work & hanging out. Am planning a low calorie lunch. Saving my calories for dinner with DD & SIL.

Lynn
Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #51  

Height: 5'3"

Sitting here waiting for our gs to come for his visit, so excited to see him and it seems like he's taking forever! I had planned on burgers and fries for lunch (plus some veggies) but he may not get here for lunch or maybe he had a late breakfast and will need lunch when he gets here even if we have eaten. dh can't wait so he is fixing his lunch now and I'm going to have a frozen entree if he is not here in a few minutes.

My weight continues to drop slowly but I am still not back down to where I was. I'm sure I'll get there though if i just be consistent with my eating.

I'm not having any problems with the site. Strange...I do have an ad blocker and popup blocker...could that be why? Well I'm glad I don't and hope things get better for you who do. Have a good day, everyone!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #52  
GmaTo8

Hi Ladies,

Just a little hint for those of you having trouble loading the pages here. It seems using Mozilla Firefox server instead of Internet Explorer is a lot more effective, and much faster. You can download it for free. Some say it has an ad blocker, but as a mod, I don't see ads anyway, so I'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #53  

Hi Everyone,

Back from vacation. It was fun, saw lots of family members I don't get to see a lot, ate way too much of the wrong things. My mom is an awsome cook and she never met a vegetable that she couldn't batter and fry. So, I have to get really serious this week. Back to the old grind. I had my onion/greenpepper omlet and 12 grain toast for breakfast and have stuffed cabbage planned for dinner. We came home to perfect weather. It's cool here. Actually, a little past cool. I was freezing last night. I had to wrap up in a blanket and put on socks. But, you won't hear me complain, especially after all the hot weather we've had this summer.

Can't catch up with all the posts but I read most of them. Good to be back. I'm off to get some walking in. I really have to get serious about my exercise!

Freda
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #54  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Welcome back Freda, you'll get back into the groove quickly as usual.
This recipe was on the Hungry Girl email I get daily, think I'll try it tonight. I don't keep oyster sauce in the house, I had some but ended up tossing it since it was soooooooooo old. Any suggestion on what to substitute for it? Otherwise I'll just leave it out, I'm sure it'll still be good without it. We're on our way to Home Depot, catch ya all tomorrow. Update on this recipe, I just made it as written and it's kind of dry. It need more sauce and I think squeezing a whole orange into the sauce would add more flavor. Or maybe a dash of 5 spice, it needs something mixed into the veggies. DH liked it but then he put loads of soy sauce on it.

Quote:
Colossal Asian Veggie 'n Chicken Pack
PER SERVING (1 1/2 cups): 222 calories, 1.5g fat, 811mg sodium, 19g carbs, 3.25g fiber, 9.5g sugars, 30.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*
Brush up on your folding skills... It's foil-pack time! That means easy cleanup and hardly any fat. Lucky you...
Ingredients:
1 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp. chopped garlic
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
4 cups dry coleslaw mix
2 cups bean sprouts
1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas
1 cup sliced mushrooms
One 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 lb. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To make the sauce, combine vinegar with cornstarch in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Add oyster sauce, garlic, and ginger. Mix well and set aside.
Lay a large piece of heavy-duty foil on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Place all the veggies in the center of the foil, spreading them out a bit.
Evenly season chicken with salt and pepper. Lay chicken over the veggies and evenly top with sauce. Cover with another large piece of foil. Fold together and seal all four edges of the two foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, until veggies are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
Let cool slightly. Using oven mitts, carefully flip packet over, allowing sauce to coat the chicken and veggies, and then return to right-side up. Cut packet to release steam before opening it entirely. (Careful -- steam will be hot.) Serve it up!
MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #55  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hola – feelin’ kinda blah this mornin’. BEEN feelin’ kinda blah lately, not sleeping well, and today I seem to be developing sniffles and a sore throat. Oh, joy. Been a loooong time since I had any kind of cold. Don’t need one now. Not too busy at work, which is good…not too busy at work, which isn’t so good because I’m bored and boredom could lead to unnecessary snacking except that I’m not really hungry although I could eat, I guess, if somebody put something in front of me. Lunch in another 20 minutes or so…I have a packet of tuna, some lite Miracle Whip to mix it with, one Joseph’s pita bread (60 cal.) to wrap it all up in, 7 russet baked potato chips, and 20 grapes. Whoopee. Nice, balanced lunch, eh? Then home again, home again, jiggedy jig. DH made a nice sirloin pork roast, baked sweet potato and homemade apple-cranberry sauce for our supper. It was good, and tonight I will shred up the left over pork, season it with taco seasoning and simmer it up with some onions and peppers. Then I’ll wrap it in tortillas with some FF Mexican shredded cheese and top with FF sour cream and salsa. Yum – and YUM. Looks like my boredom has definitely led to thoughts of food…
Freda, I’m glad you enjoyed your vacation…spending time with family is my favorite way to use vacation time. I know a lot of people enjoy traveling around to places they haven’t been before, and I’ve done some of that in the past, but now I just like going where I have people, you know? Or have them come to me. Seems like life is getting pretty short, and I enjoy what time I can with loved ones. Which is not to say that I wouldn’t like to maybe go to Greece….or Egypt….I’ve always thought I’d like to travel in Egypt…but whether I do or not remains to be seen.
Hope you’re safe from those fires, PT…from what I’ve seen in my limited exposure, of late, to national news..it’s looking a little scary out there.
Let us know how that recipe comes out, Bobbi…looks yummy. Long list of ingredients, though, and maybe too time consuming for me.

Ooops…gotta run! Back after.
Z
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #56  
Bobbi

Update on Chinese recipe I posted. I googled oyster sauce and saw a couple different substitutes. The recipe called for fresh mushrooms which I only buy if on sale, therefore I didn't have any. I did have a large 8oz. can of mushrooms which I drained and used the drained liquid with a Tablespoon soy sauce and a little stevia and cooked way down to almost a paste like oyster sauce. The mushrooms I added to the packets. Worked great and tasted good too.
Zoe...the list does look long but it was one of the easier recipes I put together, it all goes right in the bowl from the can. You don't have to brown the chicken either. The only time consuming part was weighing each item going into my packet so I can figure out the calories for Fitday. Clean up was a snap and no cooking dishes to clean up tonight after eating. We used to make similar tin foil packets when we went camping, only we used ground game.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-09-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

A beautiful Fall day here. Upped my fast walking from 25 to 35 minutes. I'm walking just over 2 miles in 35 minutes - for me, this is fast.

Nothing special scheduled for today. Getting pretty bored. I need something new!

Lynn
Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #58  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Back…sorry about the abrupt departure a few hours ago. An unscheduled meeting….spur of the moment. Blah. I’ll be soooooooo glad to have this all over and done with some day. STILL feeling lousy, and seem to be getting lousier by the minute. Have some chills going on along with the sore throat and sneezing/snoggling. NO fun, but now I’m beginning to understand my recent “blahs” as it appears I’ve been coming down with something.
I wish I could share your sentiment, Lynn. I’m afraid that with the way I’m currently feeling, “something new” has very little appeal. Right now, lying in my bed sleeping would be my activity of choice.
Bobbi, I may just give that a try once I’m feeling a bit better. I’m attracted to the coleslaw veggies, and that sounds like a really neat way to use them – other than for cole slaw, I mean.
Mary, I certainly hope your GS is there, and that you’re enjoying your visit with him. Young people seem to have a hard time sticking to schedules or time estimates. Keyword: ESTIMATES. I know my son is always later than he expects to be, and come to think of it, so are my daughters.
Did you get a haircut, PT? Hows about a picture? Thanks for those helpful hints, too….some of them are really going to come in handy!
Hi Trish and Sherrill. Welcome to the Golden Girl’s hang out.
Hiya Rosey! Hope all’s well up in your neck of the woods!
Karen31, I remember that avatar picture! Wow! We’ve been hanging out here for a loooong time, haven’t we?
Karen3, who’s this Sarah Donati you & Rosey are talking about? Are her books about time travel? AND, you haven’t posted in the last couple of days – are you okay? (I hope so ).
Get back here, Gayle……don’t be trying to drop by the wayside, now…
Okay, going for real, now. Going home, I think. REALLY don’t feel at all up to snuff.

Z
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hi all....iust not posting cause all I wanna do is whine....ooowey ouch ooooh. Ice is still my friend and thank goodness it is still summer down here or I'd have a frozen tush. Honestly am getting better each day and as soon as I say that I move a bit wrong and the nerve gives it to me POW!

Eating half on plan cause have difficulty standing and cooking or even prepping. And forget standing in a scale. Clothes feel the same and I'll take that.

Zoe...being around the kids equals getting kid germs. I swear that even toddlers give off croupy cold germs. Go home and made a big cuppa hot tea with lemon and dash of honey. If your throat gets sore add a dash of bourbon or whiskey. Coodle your self tonight.

Lynn....we're going put flashing lights of you so we can find you at that speed. Am impressed.

Bobbie...I use the coleslaw mix when making turkey kelbasa. One large pack cooks down to nice cabbage/carrot serving for the 2 of us. Beats shredding cabbage since i usually shred fingers too.

The books I have been thanking Rosey for recommending are by Sara Donati. Are set in same time period as Outlander,but in this country/Scotland without time travel. At one point in first book during the war one of the characters in these books mets up with the woman doctor in a brief mention. Good easy read and as big a book as all the Outlanders. I can do so little at a time then crash with body packed in pillows (and ice) and crawl back into the 1700's with my new friends.....

I had the nicest sweetest thing that Dh has ever done for me. My toe nails have been getting so long that i catch them on the blanket etc....I was gonna get a pedicure when can sit that long. It is too far down for me to bend yet. Anyway he came in last night with clippers and file and did my nails....ahhhh after 52 yrs he can still get me!

Thanks Jane...installed foxfire and there is a big difference.

Mary...did the gs get there? It will be nice to have him to yourselves even for just a day.

Back to my ice pack and pillows...ice is my friend bah hum bug....karen3
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #60  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All...
PT/Zoe, we are twins!... my reaction to Bobbi's recipe was "eiuuu, too much trouble!"; I've also been in the throes on blah-ennui, and everything is just too darn much trouble today. I did, however, get the hairs trimmed. It just grows so fast. It's naturally curly, so it does whatever it wants to do (which varies from day to day!), so I don't look any different whether it's a $5 or $75 cut! I just look like, um, like, ME...

The finished product sounded good, Bobbi. You might not think I could weigh 500# by living at your house, but the yummy food, healthy or not, would be scarfed down! It all sounds SO GOOD.

I'm nearing the end of the 2nd Outlander book. Yes, I'm in really and truly in love with Jamie, too. I had a friend who went to Scotland a few years ago and asked me what I wanted as a souvenir. She either couldn't find, couldn't pack, or kept for herself the Fergus that I requested. Bagpipes make my blood surge and my toes curl... I think that qualifies me as a Scotophile, yes? Hey, let's do our GGGathering in Scotland! Yeah!

Enough blather. Tomorrow will be a perkier day... Everyone, be safe!

Just read your entry, KarenFLO... you are TOO cute! And I hope Mary's GS arrived, too!

Last edited by jess1; 09-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Closed Thread