Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Rainy day here. No special plans. I’ve made a commitment to going to a movie by myself (have never done this before), but, so far, nothing I’m interested in seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, you and I started, I think, here on the fat chicks at about the same time, with approximately the same goals. I haven't lost the last ten, either, and I'm starting to adjust to 155 too. Not altogether willingly, but as a kind of default position, I guess. PLUS, of course, I'm so lacksadaisical about exercise. Hate it, truth be told. Well, don't hate it exactly - I enjoy moving about when I'm actually DOING something, but the idea of exercise for the sake of just, well, exercising, just feels really annoying to me. Even walking - which I did for a long time in front of Leslie Sansone videos - bores me to no end if I'm not actually going anywhere. On the bright side, DH and I are planning a nice, day-long hike on the mid-state trail http://www.midstatetrail.org/ not this weekend (plans with the family for my DD's birthday) but the weekend after. Looks interesting, right?
Hi Zoe,
Yes, but your 155 is a LOT thinner than my 155. Remember, I am only 5’1”. About the exercise – I think it is a lot different when you are retired. When I was working, my exercise consisted of walking once a week with my friend. Everything changed when I retired. If it’s a choice between exercising or sitting around, the exercise becomes a lot more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
..in my moving about today i didnt use my w chair at all..i used my walker and managed just fine..
Hi Rosey,
GOOD for you!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Freda - this is basically the same way I am. I do have to count carbs and calories to a certain extent due to my diabetes, but I refuse to be on a diet where I have to limit the kinds of food I eat. I eat whatever I want except I just try to not go over on my calories and carbs. I do go over now and then and I don't worry about it but try not to allow that too often as I don't want to start having more problems r/t diabetes. Right now I exercise very little but hopefully I will get back to more of that before long. I just try to stay moving and not sit too long.
Hi Mary,
You and I started at around the same weight, are now at around the same weight, and have VERY similar ways of eating. My A1C is about 5.5 – 6.0 with medication. I have NOT been doing as well with keeping my carbs down as I did when I first learned I had diabetes. However, I think my October goal of eating at least 3 servings of vegetables/day will help. Even though they are carbs, they do not tend to raise my BS in the same way as starches or sweets. Also, they cut my appetite. I’ll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
I have the Biggest Loser recording and will watch it later. Too many good shows to watch!!
Hi Karen,
I am hooked on the Biggest Loser (even though I am REALLY sick and tired of Bob and Jilian screaming at people). I tape it and fast forward through the gym sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning girls!
Zoe...I love the idea of having a weekly pet peeve day, we can commiserate and laugh at our peeves. I hate talking on the phone, I like short, get to the point phone calls. Sometimes when someone gets a little 'long winded', I snap my finger at DH to call me out loud and then I can say, DH is calling, gotta go. Or I set the oven buzzer on the stove to go off, ooops gotta go or my cookies will burn. Or the old stand by, the UPS man is here, gotta go!
Hi Bobbi,
My pet peeve for this week (and most weeks) is getting phone calls from machines. I pick up & as soon as I hear the seconds of silence, I hang up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Unfortunately, we haven't had a DROP of moisture since August 7th, and that's really bad. The fire danger is high, high, high... I know the east coast is getting too much; it'd be nice if Mama Nature would spread it around!!
Hi Donna,
We have been REALLY dry in eastern PA also. Today it is raining, but lawns, trees, and plants are in bad shape from the lack of rain we’ve had all summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Did anyone watch Survivor last night. How interesting to watch how egos and me firsts take over. Jeff was dumbfounded that they voted off a known leader. The other tribe voting off a strong male.....nothing is for the good of the community...Me, Me, Me. Kind a microcosm of our society today, I think.
Dh laughs at me, but I like to watch the reality shows. It is kinda like watching from a sociological study in human behavior. Even after all my years of working acute psych people surprise me.
karen3
Hi Karen,
I agree about watching reality shows. It is like being an anthropologist. We can observe how other (hopefully “other”) cultures operate.
I was sorry to see JJ leave. To me, he was the most interesting person on the team. What about that girl who hates the amputee? From your experience, what’s up with her?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #197  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

Another wet, cold day here. It was supposed to be int he 70's. Is NOT going to get even close. this weekend is supposed to be in the 30's. What fun sitting on the bleachers watching DGS play football.

Karen, I love white bean soup. I will waiting for you take, on the taste and the calories.

Bobbi, yes, by Christmas we're going to be visions of lovelyness.....

Mary, When is your company coming? I know you are going to enjoy that! I didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't still, occasionally, struggle with food. I'll always have to watch. But I know when I am eating well, or not. I make a real effort.

Donna, Pet Peeves? so many! I have to agree with Karen, i've become cranky in my old age. I think my WORST one is, at work we are all supposed to pick up our phones when we go to work. Really annoys me to have to remind adults to come get their phones!! Really! We have to carry those phones every day! What do they think is different about today! Sorry you asked? ha!

Karen, handsome dad.

Lynn, glad that the foot is doing well. And having time to exercise sure makes it easier. But it's still important and we have to work it in there somewhere. it's worth planning for and making the effort.

Rosey, yeah for you!! you've come a long way baby.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 09-30-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hey...here's my update on the White Bean and Collard Soup. WOW!

Calories are about 330 cals for a cup. Fats at 10.3 and carbs 15.9

1/2 med onion chopped
3 sm pieces of smoked pork neck
3 cans white cannoli beans
1/2 (6oz) can of tomato paste
1/2 cup of lite BBQ sauce
32oz box of chicken stock
1/2tsp chile pepper
1/4tsp dried thyme
1/4tsp ground pepper
2 cups shredded collard greens(used frozen)

hot sauce (later)

Sauteed onions with pork necks until tender. Add beans and next 7 ingredients. Bring to boil over med high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Add collards and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Serve with hot sauce to add if you like it'

Okay...then went totally South and made LF Pimiento cheese for grilled sandwich with soup.....

1/2 cup LF mayo
1/2 jar of diced pimiento drained
1tsp worcestershire saue
1/2 tsp finely grated onion
8oz of 2% grated cheddar cheese.

Mix together and store in refrig.

Use good bread. Make sandwich and coat outsides with LF mayo and grill 4-5 minutes a side....until golden brown and cheese is melted

Now it may be Summer outside but smell like Fall in here! karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #199  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

Hey Ladies,

I have been soooo busy at work and haven't had time to dive in with all of the conversations going on.

Well I hate to say this, but exercise is my priority in my life right now. I have such a long way to go with my weight loss and the one thing that is keeping me on track is daily exercise. I walk 2.5 miles every day during my lunch hour at work, and workout at home for at least one hour each day, 7 days a week. I work out right when I get home around 5:00 pm. I really notice the difference and it helps with my weight loss and all of the stressors of the day. I sometimes dread working out, but boy oh boy I feel great afterwards.

The soup recipe sounds great. I made some low-fat mushroom soup last week and it was so good, even though it hit 100 here. We have been in the 100s since Sunday, we are finally starting our cool down today, low 90s. Oh yea...

I also have too many pet peeves to mention. I guess the one I notice the most is that I cannot go to bed at night unless the kitchen is clean. I guess that is a good thing, but I cannot stand waking up in the morning to dishes in the sink. I also cannot sleep in an unmade bed. The list could go on and on.

Picking up my 15-month old granddaughter Emma tomorrow on my way home from work. She will be spending the night with us while her mother, my baby, celebrates her 29th birthday. Why are our kids getting so much older! I still remember the day she was born.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Sherrill
Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #200  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good bye September, go to new October thread.
Closed Thread