Old 03-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Petra -

here's a review of the Golds Gym program. It's only $20 so I just went ahead and bought it when I saw it at Best Buy but it would be great if you got a chance to try it out via a rental.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/04/27...o-workout-wii/
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

It's available as a rental from gamefly which is where I rent from. It's sort of like netflix except for video games so I put it on my list. It says it's availability is low so I guess it is popular. I read some of the reviews and everyone loved it. I also have the Biggest Loser video and Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum on my list. This is how I got to try that boxing video I liked. I ended up buying it.

I did play resort sports tonight for a little while. The canoeing is not as much exercise as I would have thought. I also played three holes of golf. What is really strange is that I"m pretty good at golf even though I don't play in real life and I don't particularly like it. What's up with that?
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 190/170/130

Height: 5'2"

I'm not 40+ but I posted earlier about the wii We preordered one on GameStop and it arrived! Yesterday we set it up and played Wii Sports. Today I played more. Tonight, it turns out I have rib muscles because they hurt.

Tomorrow we're hoping to find a couple used games to add in, and I have WiiFit on order for when it can be delivered yippie! Thinking about getting Punch Out after seeing reviews online. We both really like the boxing game on the sport disc.

I don't much like the tennis or baseball, just like in real life.. I don't know when to swing haha
meowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #124  

No requirement to be 40 for this thread. I think this is the only thread for Wii enthusiasts on the site. Welcome meowy. I like the Resort Sports game too. I also have a Shaun White snowboarding game I've played a few times. That might not appeal to everyone. I've rented a few I thought I would like and turned out I didn't-one called ski and shoot for instance. I like to do both of those things on my wii but I hated that game. I also have a Winter Sports game I bought cheap at Walmart and don't particularly like either. All the movement involves the use of the remote and nunchuck-it's not balance board compatible and for those kinds of sports you really need that.

I have one I bought a while ago called Vertigo at Walmart that is balance board compatible but I've never tried playing it with the balance board. It would be like a super Tilt table game. I should try that sometime.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #125  

Peanutsmom-I just read that review. That's someone who is really skeptical about exercise games but really liked this game. I'm looking forward to trying it. Looks like something you could easily turn into a regular part of your routine-maybe alternating it with your Wii Fit. Interestingly, the other game he or she mentioned that they liked was My Fitness Coach. I have that game but I've never tried it. I will have to pull it out and try it.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #126  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

I have resort sports, and I really like it. I'm rubbish at the canoeing though! I must try it again. I really like the table tennis and frisbee. I also love the golf.

This week have been doing the free jogging with my ipod on. I think in future though I'll do the island lap a couple of times with other aerobics like boxing or hula hoop in between, just to keep it a bit more interesting.

A 2lb loss this week. Thanks wii fit!
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #127  

I saw a few other Wii Fit threads over the time I've been here, but usually just for someone asking if people recommend it - this does seem to be the only ongoing one for discussing and chatting about it, so all Wii lovers are welcome!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #128  

OMG! I tried the My Fitness Coach video this morning. That thing will kick your butt! Does anyone else have this video and use it? You have to take the time to set up a profile which takes some time but is very thorough. They get your height, weight, measurements, pulse and then have you do some basic fitness tests to see what your current level of fitness is. The one thing I really did not like is that a lot of the things they want you to do involve jumping and I have bad knees so that just doesn't work for me. I will probably try to work it in as a alternative here and there. I get bored easily so I have to have a variety of things to do. I'm gonna try the Vertigo game later with the balance board and tell you what I think about it.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #129  

My big issue with the Wii right now is that I think the balance board is not compatible with my Gowear Fit. At first, I thought maybe the movements were not big enough to register, but when I did similar movements without the balance board, the GWF did count those steps.

It's a little annoying because I did the 30 minute free step and the Wii counted 3024 steps but the GWF only counter 400-something.

At this point, I'm more focused using the GWF for tracking so I probably won't be using the Wii Fit as much as before, although I still use it just to play around with for fun and focus on other forms of cardio and calorie burn (including other Wii games)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #130  

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
OMG! I tried the My Fitness Coach video this morning. That thing will kick your butt! Does anyone else have this video and use it? You have to take the time to set up a profile which takes some time but is very thorough. They get your height, weight, measurements, pulse and then have you do some basic fitness tests to see what your current level of fitness is. The one thing I really did not like is that a lot of the things they want you to do involve jumping and I have bad knees so that just doesn't work for me. I will probably try to work it in as a alternative here and there. I get bored easily so I have to have a variety of things to do. I'm gonna try the Vertigo game later with the balance board and tell you what I think about it.
Is it cardio or more of the strength training type moves from the Wii Fit? I have heard that's a good program so it's on my list of ones to consider getting down the road.

I don't think I need as much variety, but I do like to add something new every now and then. (I'm the same way with food too - I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and then alternate between just a few things for supper)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #131  

Sarah-I love the fencing and archery. I love to shoot anything My favorite Wii game is actually Link's Crossbow Training which comes with the Zapper. I have Gold Medals on every level except two (where I am stuck at silver) and 1 Platinum medal. I had unlocked all the levels within 1 week. I actually own hunting games too. I'm a very accurate shooter but not very quick so I don't always do well with hunting. Sometimes I get hunted
Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #132  

The fitness coach video-after you set up your profile you can set up what kind of focus you want to have for your workouts-weight loss, cardio, upper body, etc and then they tailor a workout to whatever you choose. I picked weight loss for obvious reasons. I did a 15 minute workout and the first half was really like a low impact aerobics routine and the second half was stuff we would do in a pilates class. I had an easier time with the second half than the first half-since I do pilates regularly. It also asks you how challenging is this for you at several intervals and I imagine the next time, it will adjust based on my answers. I was sweating. I also think it underestimated my calorie burn-even though it has all that info about my height, weight, heart rate, etc. It said I burned 46 calories. Both the Wii and my food journal estimated closer to 100. I guess when I get my Gowear Fit I'll find out the real answer, LOL

It also asks what home fitness equipment you have like a balance ball, step platform, hand weights, etc. I imagine if you have those things, they will incorporate them. If I use this video enough I may consider getting at least hand weights to use with it.

Last edited by petra65; 03-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #133  

Peanutsmom-I wonder if you get a platform for your balance board (like the one at Big Lots I saw) if that would solve the problem between the Wii Fit and the Gowear. They would be bigger steps. It would also be a more intense workout.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #134  

Petra -

at first I thought it was the intensity of the movements but after doing similar movements without the balance board, I think it really may be an electronic interference issue. I read something that some electronic devices could cause that.

I may still pick up the platform anyway, if I see it (don't get to BigLots too often because it's not a good place to take my 5 year old! lol!) and I'll certainly see if that changes things for the GWF.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #135  

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
The fitness coach video-after you set up your profile you can set up what kind of focus you want to have for your workouts-weight loss, cardio, upper body, etc and then they tailor a workout to whatever you choose. I picked weight loss for obvious reasons. I did a 15 minute workout and the first half was really like a low impact aerobics routine and the second half was stuff we would do in a pilates class. I had an easier time with the second half than the first half-since I do pilates regularly. It also asks you how challenging is this for you at several intervals and I imagine the next time, it will adjust based on my answers. I was sweating. I also think it underestimated my calorie burn-even though it has all that info about my height, weight, heart rate, etc. It said I burned 46 calories. Both the Wii and my food journal estimated closer to 100. I guess when I get my Gowear Fit I'll find out the real answer, LOL

It also asks what home fitness equipment you have like a balance ball, step platform, hand weights, etc. I imagine if you have those things, they will incorporate them. If I use this video enough I may consider getting at least hand weights to use with it.
wow, that really does sound good! I'd love to be able to work with a personal trainer but that's not going to happen (don't have the money and don't have the time to be able to go to a gym) and this sounds as close to that as anything I've heard about.