Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:21 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default LesBiAlternachicks and friends

Hi chiquitas! This thread was getting a bit long so I started a new one-the old one is in the archives.

Hope you all had a great New Years!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 AM   #2  
the kid's counting on me!

Mauvais, thanks for starting us up again. I was going to ask but, you beat me to it! Thanks doll...our fearless and ever efficient moderator!

I'm feeling chunka-bunka. I was doing so well but just gained a few and feel pms-y and haven't exercised. My schedule is busy tomorrow...first day back in the office after quite awhile. I'm sure that I'll be exhausted by the end of the day...not to mention I've had some nasty insomnia.

Well...tomorrow is another day and it will be here soon if I don't go to sleep.
I was up until 5am this morning...well New Year's day...couldn't sleep...
hope I can now.
Lots on my mind. My partner's two aunts are in independant living at a place that doesn't have assisted living and they're not making it in independant living...one was moved into the nursing home and the other will soon follow. Just debating with myself how active I should get in the situation. Just feel they'd be happier in an assisted living situation instead of the nursing home...the nursing home is full of mostly people with severe dementia or acute physical disability. Much more debilitated than the aunts and it is such a depressing place.

some of the family members get annoyed when I step in. They think I'm a meddling in-law...but, it is so hard for me to not do something because I feel so upset that they could be in a better place than where they are...god, grant me the serenity to change those things that I can change, give up to you what I can't change and the wisdom to know that difference. Please!
Love Soozie
ps. I'll make some calls tomorrow...appears that one of the nurses at the indep. living is a woman I worked with when I worked inpatient psych. She will help me think about this and about whether or not it is worth the upheaval of fighting to move them to another facility or just resign myself that nursing home is the best place for them. If the nursing home is the answer DP and I already decided that we would make sure to visit regularly and to have the aunties here to our house to dinner at least one time per month. We have had them for dinner already and they really enjoy getting out of the place and being here. oh girls, it is so hard.
Today I thought that DP and I should really buy long term care insurance or whatever it is called because if it comes to it I want to be in the really nice place...there is such a difference (in the US) between the expensive continuing care communities and the basic nursing homes. Night and day girlfriends! Night and day!
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #3  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Good morning gals,

Well, I'm back to posting on a regular basis now. Was to hectic and busy there the past few weeks for me to barely get on the computer.

My two jobs will slow down now too as they do every year after xmas. Which could mean that I might have an extra day off on my hands.

Also, dh and I will start house hunting this month too for our first house! It's very exciting!

New Years day dh and I went through dd closet and and dresser and threw some things in the trash and got rid of toys that she doesn't play with so we could make room for all the new stuff she got for xmas! What a chore that was! We also went through all the kitchen cupboards and straightened them up and got rid of the things that we don't use too!

Well I'm off to check out the rest of the threads and then to get my butt off to the gym. I'll check in on you all a bit later.

Have a good day!
Kelly
Old 01-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I post on the Low Carb daily and sometimes don't have time to post here too. You can always check me out over there.

Sooz, I am so with you on the long term care stuff. Both my parents went to seniors "homes" when they could not cope at home. Luckily my sister had many social work connections so we were able to scope them out. I do hope you can get the aunties in a suitable place. Visits and outings are really important - to **** with what the in-laws think. You and DP have the right idea.
(That reminds me, Hershey and I have to get back to our Saturday morning visists to the Nursing Home near here.)

Hey Kelly! Come up here and help me pitch stuff. No kids but I do have DH who saves almost everything. He has paid bills from 1971, tokens to non-existent subway systems, dumb travel souvenirs. I am thinking of subscribing the Fly Lady and starting to tackle the collection of crap!

Have a good Thursday. It's the 8th day of Christmas and I can't remember what I get today. I don't think it's 8 lords a-leaping but maybe I'll luck out.

P.S. Just checked and it's 8 maids a-milking! Aaaaawwwwwk! keep them away!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Kelly, that's so exciting about your first house!!

Soozie, I agree with Ruth. As long as DP wants you to interfere, do it! You've got great connections, and you'd be doing this for all the right reasons... because you CARE for her aunts!!

The "homes" up here are very different, too. I'm planning on moving into the public library when I'm "past it".

love and hugs, Soozie... I'll say a little prayer for you and your dilemma.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:58 AM   #6  

Hi you all!

Soozie, I'll be thinking of you too...My mother was in assisted living for awhile and I thought it was quite good (sounds like your partner's aunts would be happy in the sort of place my mom was in) but unfortunately she was beginning to suffer from dementia and was falling a lot as she would forget not to try to do stuff by herself. She eventually went to a nursing home for the last year of her life. It is very hard - and I think your partner is very lucky to have you!

Kelly, have fun looking for a house - that is wonderful for you! We are looking forward to lots of details (I love hearing about what people are looking for in a house!) What sort of place are you hoping to find?

Ruth, if it is 8 maids a-milking, that implies that there must also be 8 cows a-giving milk...so why in the song isn't it 16? (Wish my scale would do math like that )

Talk to you all later- we are off to see Chamber of Secrets one last time on the big screen (ah, Monday's it's back to school!!)

Lidian
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #7  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Well, I went to the gym this morning! I'm so proud of myself!
I was there an hour, I did about 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes using weights!

Then I was off to the grocery store and I picked up some healthy food; fruit, baby spinach for salads, non fat dressing etc.

The funny thing is....even after being back at the gym for one day after being away for a few months. I feel so much more...what's the word....ALIVE! I mean, my energy level is already up, I'm alert and not tired like I'd normally be and I'm in a great mood!

Lidian--We need/want a 3 bedroom house with large rooms. We want our bedrooms to be big enough that you can actually walk around the bed! LOL We'd like to have a garage and we'd like to have a basement, if further down the road we decided to have a rec room etc. That's basically it! We do have our eye on one right now. It's like a 30 second walk from my dd's school and the hospital, it has 3 bedrooms and all the rooms are large, it has a garage, and a fenced in back yard, and a heated sunroom. They only thing I don't know is if it has a basement or not! And the asking price is 99,900! We want to go look at it in a couple of weeks when dh is on afternoons. Can anyone suggest what a good first bid on this house would be without totally disgusting the seller with a too low of bid?

Ruth--It's so much easier to clean and organize someone else's house than your own! So I'm up for the challenge! LOL

I've heard from different people today while I've been out that we are supposed to be getting a storm today. Has anyone else heard this? I know my locks on the car door were froze this morning when I went out and that it's friggin cold and windy out.

I'm off to check the other threads.
Check on you all later!

~Kelly~
Old 01-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #8  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Did anyone happen to catch Oprah today? If it's on again in your area I suggest to everyone to watch it!

She discussed how she has lossed 33 lbs in a year not by dieting but by customizing a plan that fits her lifestyle! She had her personal trainer on there to, Bob Green and he said alot of interesting things that made very good sense. Like not eating anthing 2 1/2 to 3 hours before you got to bed!

They also had a couple of women that shared their weightloss not by dieting, but by customizing a plan that fit their lifestlye!
One woman had lost 127 lbs and another woman had lost 214 lbs! Talk about movitation and inspiration I got from these women!

Anyways, this show opened my eye up to a whole new way of thinking about losing weight weight and how to accomplish it.

Tomorrow I'm going to my local book store to see if they cary the latest book from Bob Green, Get With The Program, A Guide to Good Eating!

How hope you ladies are able to watch it at some point!

Keep up the good work and I'm off to update my water and food journals!

~Kelly~
Old 01-02-2003, 08:15 PM   #9  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Yeah Kelly
After reading your message I went to watch Oprah! It was great. Those women really lost a lot of weight.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #10  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Soozie-We went through the same thing with DH's grandparents. It was VERY difficult, but lots of visits sure helped!! His grandfather had to go into a nursing home, and years later his grandmother went into assisted living, which was SO much nicer. Just the economics of it can make anything but a nursing home impossible for a lot of people though.

OI812-WOW!! house hunting is a lot of fun!! Congratulations !!

Ellis-HEY!! Move here!! There is already a large homeless population that lives in the library, we can join them!! (Unless the heartless yuppie newcomers kick them out. They are talking about some new ordinance to eliminate "loitering" at the library. Does that mean I can't go unless I dress up? I mean they don't bug anyone, they just hang out to get out of the heat and cold during the day. HORRORS.......HOMELESS PEOPLE.........and they're READING!!!!!!)

HI TO EVERYONE ELSE!!! I'm still kinda freaking out about my Mom's auto accident (she's okay.) Wrote about it n Winter Chat.....
Old 01-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

I know, Den. That's why I thought of the library. We have lots of sweet old people who sleep in the downtown library. They don't hurt a soul, and they're nice and warm and surrounded by books. I could use a change, though. Maybe I WILL come down to yours!

I wrote to you about your mom in winter chat... hugs, sweetie...
don't worry about her. She's obviously got some sort of angel hanging over her head.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:58 PM   #12  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Or we could switch off!! Summers in Ottawa and winters here!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #13  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Good morning ladies!

Den: Glad to hear that you mother is doing fine. Was there much damage to your mother's car?

Ellis: I hope you are feeling better today. Stay inside though. If the weather there is anything like it is here...don't go out unless you have to.

Well, I'm happy to announce that I was TOTALLY OP yesterday! And didn't eat ANYTHING 2 1/2-3 hours before I went to bed!
I'm just finishing up my breakfast( didn't get out of bed till 8:20) and then I'm going to hit the gym at 10 a.m.
My armpits feel a bit sore today. It's from the workout I gave them yesterday. But it's a good pain! LOL

So what plans does everyone have for this weekend?
I'm watching my so play in hockey tournament tomorrow morning. Then dh and I are going to Wal-Mart to see what we can buy with our gift certificates we got for xmas. Oh, and I work all weekend too!

I've heard that we are supposed to get more snow today and then more tomorrow too!

Anyways....I'm off to get dressed.
I'll check back in here later.
You ladies have a great morning!

~Kelly~
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #14  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello loves!

It's been a long time since I've been over here! Today I refuse to work, so I'm checking alllll the threads! It's Friday, the end of a holiday week, my birthday-eve, wonderfully cold n' stormy, and I refuse... ain't gonna... you can't make me... I don't care what you say... work! (so there)

Soozie - I agree with Ellis, if DP wants your involvement, then you should be. I think both your partner and her aunts are lucky to have you around.

OI812 - Congrats on the house hunting! So much fun! I bought my first home a little over a year ago and nuthin' compairs to the feeling of "it's MINE, all MIIIINE" (muahahahahaha).

Ruthie - Ok, so what was the 8 Maids a' milking?? Today would be 9 Ladies Dancing right?? Hmmmm.... that could be interesting!

Lidian - I'm so jealous.... CoS is already out of theaters here in middle of nowhere Oregon. I really wanted just one last chance to lust after Alan Rickman... oh well... probably out on video this summer???

Time to do some work I 'spose... oh wait!!! I said I wasn't going to work today! Nevah mind....

Terri
Old 01-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #15  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

HAPPY PRE-BIRTHDAY TERRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread