Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #151  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Cool Cars AAAHHHHhhhhhhh!

I hate cars, and especially hate Canadian Tire!
I went in to get my brakes fixed and car safetyinspected. They called me and asked if I was sure i wanted to get everything done as it was going to cast me $750. I think at that point I swore something very nasty and told them NO!
I took it to a garage directly up at the top of the street from my house, and for $250 dollars cheaper and he even found more actually wrong with it, oil change, tire balancing and the works, plus he is allowing me to make a lump sum payment and then so much a month after that without interset. I said God bless you, thanked him over and over again. Man, owning a car can really suck. But not owning one sucks even more. I am so independent with my own car now.
Anyway, enough ranting!
Take care everyone and stay warm.
Virginia
Old 01-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #152  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I need to find one of these Ikea stores you girls keep talking about. There are none around here. They sound interesting.

And I wouldn't get too excited about my excercising. It is only about 15 minutes and so far it was only one day. I am going to try again today. I did move a lot of furniture over the weekend, does that count?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:05 AM   #153  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Squeak-Keep practicing!! The more you say "no" the easier it gets!!!
Glad to hear that you are exercising too!! Hope that exercise is contagious, because I need to start too!!!

Ellis- We don't have Ikea here, and from the sounds of it I wish we did!!.

Mauvais-Sounds like the interview went well, hope you get an offer!!!

Virginia-Been there done THAT!!! I know exactly what you mean...love the freedom, hate the upkeep!!!

"HI!!" to everyone!!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:54 AM   #154  

Height: 5'-2"

Ah, Terri... parents! Stress!! My sympathies, hon. All I can say is, be thankful you live so far away from your sweet Dad. My Mom; whom I love dearly but causes me a great amount of stress, lives but 35 minutes away from us. And then there's my mother-in-law, who lives FIVE minutes away!!
We're on our second Suzuki, and we've been really happy with both of them. knock knock.

Virginia, I'm glad you got a better deal in getting your car fixed! Haven't had car troubles for a few years, but I clearly remember some nasty situations. Like our first car... the clutch "went" on what we now call "Heartbreak Hill".

Squeak, ANY amount of exercise is great!! Even 10 minutes is enough to get your heart rate up. And according to Mauvais, moving furniture counts.

Yeah, Den. Get off your bum and start exercising. Squeak is a devoted non-exerciser, so if she can do it, so can you!

You're kidding... no Ikea? It's the middle income earner's decorating salvation.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:36 AM   #155  
Is it Friday yet?

Aaaah... the joys of adulthood.... ya know, I had a revelation last night - something that may help me put at least part of a finger on my life-long poor eating. Everyone says we eat (for the most part) to cover up something or to not feel something - self medicating. Well, last night, as I'm thinking about my trip - justifying the price of the ticket to my Dad, etc. I had this overwhelming urge to binge. I didn't, but what I did say out loud to myself is "Jeeezus, I'm 33 year years old and it's time I quit being so damned afraid of upsetting my Dad. If he's unhappy with a decision I've made, or what I'm doing, then *tough*". Whew... crap I'm almost crying just typing that - hmmmm... think I've got some issues here?????
Maybe this trip is exactly what I need - a chance to spend time in his territory, but be completely myself - a chance to learn to disagree with my Dad - I never have, even when I completely disagree with him. I'll be damned if I'm going to be uncomfortable, or walk on eggshells for 2 1/2 days. I'm too old and far too independant of him to play these games anymore.
~rant over~

Virginia - Ooooh, yea, mechanics are a joy aren't they?? My family owns a company that does onsite mechanic service in CA. Sometimes I think we're the ONLY reputable company around (I do the billing so I'd know!). I'm sorry you encountered a looser - but so happy you found a good guy - stick with him!

Squeak - I definately think moving furniture is exercise! I also agree that *any* movement is better than none at'all.

Ellis - Ok, I guess I'll break down and go to the Ikea store in Seattle with my friend next year.... she's been saving for a big ol' shopping trip.

Time to go devour my Special K Red Berries

Terri
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 AM   #156  

Terri, you dear girl... you are EXACTLY like me!! I'm NEVER myself around my parents! I'm sickly sweet with my Mom because I don't want to hurt her feelings (even though she dumps on me all the time and drives me to nervous breakdowns), and I'm always trying to live up to some "standard" with my Dad, and I take forever in considering my words before I speak to him.
I'm so proud of you for coming to that realization! Stick to your plan! Be yourself around your Dad. Surprise him. He probably doesn't even know "who" you really are! What the ****... he may even LIKE you! And if he doesn't, who cares! You like yourself, and WE sure as **** like you!!
It's not your duty to be someone else for your Dad's sake. Stomp on those eggshells!!
Hugs, hon...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:26 PM   #157  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Terri,
Listen to the wise Ellis. She is a wealth of wisdom, and so right. We sure as **** do like you and want only the best for you as I am sure your family does.
Hugs
Virginia
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #158  

YUP!! And even if it causes a bit of friction sometimes it is SO cool when you realize they like you for YOURSELF. I have started being a real smartass with my Dad, and he practically GIGGLES when I do it!!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:39 AM   #159  
the kid's counting on me!

Hey girls. oh, I'm sick as a dog! Got the funky eye infection virus and then the sinus infection that I had had for so long and never went on antibiotics for came back. So, I have pink eye in both eyes and a sinus infection and had a high fever and chills and aches....yuck. Feeling alittle better now. Slept alot today. Talked my doctor into giving me an antibiotic yesterday. Took two days to convince her that I did need one and I wasn't just contributing to antibiotic resistant diseases and needlessly taking medication for a virus. I figured as sick as I've been there had to be some nasty bacteria in here somewhere screwing things up and running me down so all of those yucky viruses could invade and take up residence. This better be the last of the sickness!

Since I've been sick this time I've been eating odd stuff and not exercising and I'm up three pounds but I do feel confident that it will come right off again when I'm feeling better. Meanwhile I missed work all week and I'm staying home tomorrow and Friday. Not fair to miss work, not make any money, and not do anything but sit around feeling awful.

Enough moaning and groaning. Hope you are all well.
Love, Soozie
Old 01-30-2003, 08:30 AM   #160  

Oh Soozie... you poor girl. You sound terrible! I had a year like that once... caught every damned germ going around and was sick forever. Just think... you're building up your immune system. Soon you'll be tough and resistant to all kinds of crap.
I'm glad you've got some anti-biotics. You just bundle yourself up and get cozy and get well!! If we were closer, we'd come and nurture you. (Naturally we'd be wearing masks and gloves.)
love and hugs, sweetie...
Old 01-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #161  

Ellis, you are the sweetest. I could picture you now with the mask and gloves...snuggling me in a blanket and administering chicken soup! Lowfat, lowsalt of course!

I'm feeling a bit better today but I'm taking so much medication...Tylenol, Motrin, Nasonex, my antidepressant, my ADD med, the antibiotic, two different eye drops...goodness! so much for living the nature life!

I know I'm feeling alittle better today because I'm feeling like doing some arts and crafts... I want to finish the photo album (scrap book) that I've been working on for DD's godmother. It is almost finished. For the past few days I haven't had the energy to even think about doing anything but resting.

I did have the opportunity? to view American Idol this week. I'm never home when those goofy programs are on the tube. Always working in the evening. I really enjoyed it...so silly and fun.

Oh well, love to you all! Stay warm.
and ps, this past Saturday...even though I already had the eye infection but I didn't have the fever yet...I took my daughter ice skating on our lake. It was so
beautiful and so much fun. A bunch of our neighbors were out there. We had a ball...drank hot cocoa...fell on our rear ends...

We don't often have this long a cold spell and the lake is really frozen solid, so it is one really nice thing about the frigid temperatures. I hope that I am well enough to go out this weekend and skate some more with my DD. She really enjoyed herself. Was really scared at first but quickly felt more comfortable and gave our neighbors son a lecture about how falling is "a part of growing up" and that it is "okay to fall".

Therapist's daughter no doubt!
Love, Soozie
Old 01-31-2003, 12:39 AM   #162  

Glad to hear that you have had some fun with your family in between illnesses!!! Hope you are better (and STAY better) soon!!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:55 AM   #163  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Soozie
I sure hope you get feeling better soon hun. You have had a really bad winter so far. Hope the rest is great. Does sound like you are able to have some fun though, thats great. Wish I was closer so I could give you a hand. Take care, chicken noodle soup! Yum and works great.
Virginia
Old 01-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #164  

Soozie, hope you feel better SOON! Take good care of yourself!

Oh Terri, Ellis is so right about the whole parental thing. I know exactly what you mean. I am in a constant lowgrade panic around my dad, and even though intellectually I realize that I am my own woman and what do I care what he thinks...I care what he thinks! He is never satisfied with the way I look - now that I am acceptably thin (but he thinks I am going too overboard of course) now he is bugging me about my hair, and keeps telling me how he knows someone who supposedly has lost a bunch of hair due to (he says) dyeing it, and I shouldn't dye mine, and by the way he noticed I have dark roots (well, that's cuz I'm not dyeing it! can't win!). And my late mother was the same. I think he has taken over from her. She always used to give me a look and say "are you going out like that?" [I was planning to, yes- that is why I have this outfit on! Duh!] I feel about 12 around my father, and me 40 yrs old and with 2 kids & a DH & a messy house of my own! D***!

I wish you all the best on your trip -- I'll be thinking of you! And it WILL end and you can be at home & that will be cool! The only time I really appreciate my lil house is when we get back from my dad's and I go YIPPEE! I'M HOME!

Virginia, I hate cars too! And I hate winter driving! And scraping the ice off the inside of the windows. Ugh.

Lidian
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 PM   #165  

virginia, Lidian, and Den, thanks for the get wells girls. feeling a little bit better today. Eyes still funky! But, getting there.

Working on the scrapbook...may finish tonight. Wow! One project will be finished! can't believe it!

Love, Soozie
Closed Thread