Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Good evening ladies. My day was busy at work and I am glad tomorrow is Friday!

Plucky, I hope you had a good time tonight. You will have to let us know how it went.

Donna, you sound great. I am so happy to heqr that you have had 3 days on plan and good for you realizing you are better off without your ex.

Betsy, I have not always done such a good job of dealing with splurges. In the past more often than not they would turn into binges, but I did handle this one well. My attitude is changing for the better.

Misstoni, kudos to you for planning to do a 5K. I'm in awe. I hope your son is feeling better so you can get some sleep.

Magpie, congratulations on being able to save money on food. I spend a fortune on food and it's only DH and me. By the way, your hubby sounds a lot like mine, always supportive of everything I do.

Pam, congratulations on the weight loss. 11 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. I have never done yoga. I'm the quintessential couch potato here. I take a multivitamin daily, which does have magnesium in it. I used to get terrible leg cramps and my doctor told me that magnesium would help and it does. I'm sure it is good for other things too, but I have never heard of the connection between magnesium and diabetes. Hmm, something to research.

Ubee, glad you had a good day, and thank you for saying I motivated you. I'm glad I could help.

I was a little disappointed today. I thought I would be able to get a ticker and signature after 20 posts and 20 days and then read it's actually 25 posts and 25 days. So I have a few more days to go.

I hope you all have a good day tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #212  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Tootsie,Betsy & Cindy ~ Yes I love 70 degree weather, Its just perfect.

Ubee ~ We made soft taco's with hamburger

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 7 a.m. Its now 9:30 a.m. My plans for today are to do my 40 min. chair exercises and walk outside for 30 mins to an hour and thats it.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone. This week has totally gotten away from me, but I imagine several of you are very happy to see Friday come up on that calendar.

Magpie -- Your coach sounds like she is super fantastic. What a kind gesture and how wonderful for you.

Misstoni -- Hope the interview goes well. Your schedule sounds so hectic and with you and your boyfriend on different shifts (and with a toddler as well), it sounds like you must run on fumes on many days. I'm impressed that you're planning on doing a 5K this summer!

Pam -- 11 pounds is wonderful!!!! Interesting info on the various supplements. I take a multi-vitamin, but no specific supplements. But then my blood work comes back as normal in most areas. I took a yoga class last year and need to get back into doing the workouts again. Hated the class but loved the results. I think it's definitely one of those things where it takes a while for those muscles to get to the point where the flexibility has returned. I took a class for the "non flexible" which was composed mainly of older people. She modified the moves so that we got the benefit of stretching without some of the contortionist positions.

Ubee -- Good job on having a good day and making that mental move to know that you can do this. On the DIL front. Not that it's any surprise, but your DIL obviously thinks the world of you to want to spend so much time with you. That's a gift.

Cindy -- I can remember waiting for my ticker as well. I have no idea why they make new members wait -- maybe a lot of one posters or something. I'm still no where near 100% on handling splurges without sliding into a binge, but just thinking about the consequences is a big step.

Terra -- Sounds like a relaxing day. Enjoy.

Just looked at the coffee table, and I will need to do a second stripping. At this rate, I should finish it sometime around Christmas. The grass needs cutting, the floors need to be vacuumed, and the end-of-month bookkeeping awaits. Two social outings next week, and then Easter. Is anyone else thinking about what to fix for Easter dinner that won't end up throwing us completely off plan? The little ones aren't coming here this year so at least there won't be candy in the house except for the Cadbury Eggs for the younger nephew (he's 38) who seems to think that they are a requirement.

Time for my pot of coffee and then to the gym. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good day everyone.
Betsy glad your blood work is normal. I knew if I hung around here long enough we would find something normal about you! I've planned Easter dinner and while it won't be perfect I am not going to make so much so there should be few leftovers.
Terra soft tacos sound yummy. I like the grilled chicken ones. Maybe you could suggest to your teacher that the class learn to make really healthy foods and then you could share recipes with us.
Cindy now I am curious as to what you will chose for a ticker. I am too lazy for one.
Mag Pie yes, magnesium does help with sleeping also. It is one of those good overall drugs. My husband takes it for his heart and my daughters for ADD. Very good point about starting out slow it has a laxative effect so you have to build a tolerance.
tootsie yoga for big bellies??? I have a very big belly it does make bending a challenge.
Well time to come clean. I impulse bought Easter candy while waiting in the checkout lane. Yes, a bunny and several chocolate eggs have disappeared...
Have a peaceful day.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #215  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

First off, I want to talk to those of y'all (like Sam) who are worried about plateaus. I have been on a plateau for about six months, probably more, and I am nowhere near to giving up. I keep a chart on my fridge of my progress, and it looks pretty weird right now: it shows my ups and downs since February 2012, and now it's a flat line for a loooog time. But I know that I have been going through a lot, and my plateau is actuallly an achievement, because it shows that I can go through these major life stresssors and still have maintenance of my weight loss so far. So please, love yourself, be patient with yourself, and just keep picking yourself up after you fall (I've had a lot of literal falls in the past few weeks, too.)

Second, my doctors finally talked with each other, and have decided that I probably do have serotonin syndrome, which happens some times when you're on too many medications that affect the serotonin (a neurotransmitter) system in your brain. So we're gradually backing off on some of those medications (backing off rapidly causes terrible withdrawal effects.) In serotonin syndrome the large skeletal muscles get really stimulated, to the point where it's like having a "charlie horse" in all your arms and especially all your leg muscles at the same time. Total spasm. It hurts like nobody's business and takes a long time to recover from. Right now I can't stand reliably (hence all the falls) and I can't walk hardly at all. I'm renting a wheelchair and have (just barely) reached the point where I can use the wheelchair to get myself back and forth to the bathroom without assistance. And I'm taking a strong muscle relaxant in tiny amounts.

Yesterday was probably the worst day of my whole life, in terms of the pain from all the spasms, mostly in my right leg (buttocks down to toes). Today I am in less pain and am finally getting hopeful that some day, this will be over. But I'm still a mess, in those large muscles, and I have no idea how long it wlll be before I can walk. In the meantime, Bob is having to do everything else for me, including buying cookies for me when I can't take it without comfort foods. But I've been on a modified Atkin's diet for so long, it's a strong habit. Today, for example, I'm 100% on plan.

So if you're thinking you want to give up, just think of me....

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-28-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #216  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Fi: I feel so bad that you're going through that. I know that I've said it a million times, but I hope that it gets sorted out soon. I can't imagine how that must feel.

I just walked to the beat to a lot of songs that I used to listen to in high school. I'm not sure how many miles if any that that would equate to. I know that all the songs were roughly 125 beats per minutes. I found a site called Run Hundred that lists beats per minute for different decades and genres of songs. The person that owns the site sells workout mixes, but I'm not chancing putting my credit card number in there. I don't know the person that runs the site. I have many of the songs already via iTunes. I'm trying to keep exercise fun so that I keep at it. Listening to the same workout gets kind of boring. The last song had a little of a slower beat. My daughter was dancing to it.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 AM   #217  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi everybody.....5 days on plan and counting!!
No exercise yet.....on the last 2 days of the IV's and feeling better. Hope to swim on Monday or Tuesday. If it stops raining today we plan to walk the dogs....we have had some lovely Spring weather lately so a bit of rain is to be expected.
Fi.....I am so sorry that you are going through such difficulties. I am glad your doctors are talking to each other at last. Thinking of you.
Tootsie...doesn't exercise to music make a difference? I was in High School in the eighties ...the decade of cheesy tunes perfect to exercise to!
Betsy and Ubee.....I have made a decision NOT to have Easter Eggs in the house in advance of Easter. I am feeling great and strong as I type this but we all know that this feeling often vanishes in a flash so I am better to avoid chocolate at all costs! Sam will have an egg from his Dad and I have bought him an egg-replacement gift. I think that this is about all I can do to protect myself from the chocolate temptation!!
PJVW....11lbs is wonderful....well done you.
Sam....how are you honey?
Cindy...you are doing so well! I am so grateful for your prayers throughout my recent difficulties.
Have a great day,
Donna
Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #218  

Good morning everyone. Another day of awakening at 4:30 in the morning for a bathroom trip and then not being able to get back to sleep. In the overall scheme of things, if this is my worst problem, life is good.

Ubee -- Those of us (and I'll include you) who are not considered to be normal prefer the term exceptional as opposed to abnormal. Did I ever mention that rationalization is one of my key skill sets! I think Easter dinner is going to be just a "regular" meal (but not an exceptional one) as it will just be the 3 of us. Isn't it amazing how those forbidden foods can just disappear.......

Fi -- What a relief to finally have a diagnosis although it sounds like getting the medications reduced will take some time. Did they give you a projection for when the spasms will abate? I just cringed when you described the leg pain -- can't even imagine going through that. And you're right -- if you can maintain through all that you've had going on, it's truly an accomplishment.

Tootsie -- Walking to fast music -- what a great way to bring back memories as well as get in exercise.

Donna -- So good to read such positive posts from you again and so happy the antibiotics are finally doing their job. Way to stay on plan, and good decision on banning chocolate from the house.

Yesterday I realized that I needed to work on the coffee table some more, so I hauled out my palm sander and went to work. 5 hours later, it was finally down to bare wood and then I made the mistake of trying to stand up. I am walking like Tim Conway when he did his old man shuffle walk. And, of course, there are only about 3 of us who will remember that walk!!!!! I got the table stained yesterday so today I'll put on the first coat of poly, the second coat tomorrow, and haul it back inside on Tuesday. I hate refinishing furniture, but am very pleased with how the chairs and the table will look. On to power washing the deck, washing the windows, and starting on the eternal yard work. Man, you'd think that the weight would fall off with all this moving around.

Time to find the heating pad and maybe some pain pills. I'm a wimp! Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Good morning everyone. We had snow overnight and it's only going to get up to a little higher than freezing today. I don't think Spring is ever going to get here!

Fiona, I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain. Those charlie horses sound horrible. I'm amazed that you are able to keep your spirits up while going through so much.

Betsy, I usually fix an Easter basket for DH but haven't bought any candy yet. I will wait until a couple days before and buy mostly candy he likes that doesn't really tempt me. There will be a chocolate bunny however, and I can't promise I won't eat the ears lol. For Easter dinner I'm making a small turkey because I have a couple in the freezer already. I'm not sure yet what I'm making for sides, probably asparagus and sweet potatoes and I'll add some stuffing and mashed potatoes for DH.

Tootsieroll, walking to music sounds like fun. We are thinking of getting a treadmill, but I have no idea where we will put it. Also I'm not too keen on incurring anymore credit card debt right now so I'm going to save my pennies.

Donna, so happy to hear the antibiotics are helping and you are feeling better. And you're on program too. Woo Hoo! I don't remember what program you're on but I know I feel a lot better when I eat better.

Ubee, I hope you enjoyed that chocolate and didn't feel guilty eating it.

I want to say thank you to all of you ladies. I have only been here for about 3 weeks and you have all made me feel so welcome and like I'm part of the family. When I get home from work, I come here first now before getting on Facebook, to read what's going on with everyone. If you knew me better you would realize that's huge, because I'm such a Facebook addict lol. Anyway, I just want to thank you all again.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #220  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Ubee ~ Yeah thats a good idea but our cooking teacher and I are the only ones on a diet so that idea probably wouldnt go over well with the non-dieters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 8 a.m. Its now 8:47 a.m. My plans for today are to do my 40 min. Chair Exercises at 11 a.m. and then go for a walk for 30 mins to an hour at 1:00 p.m. today. I also have plans to help clean out the garage and the shed.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #221  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Cindy: No treadmill here. I just walked in place and forward two steps and backward two steps. I want a treadmill as well, but we lack the space right now.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

I was badly dehydrated and had just slept almost 12 hours (a gift to myself after looking at the horrible eye circles I've been developing all week), but I saw a number less than 300 on the scale today! It won't be too long, now.

I have this thing that makes it really hard to sleep. At bedtime, I get COLD. My skin is cold to the touch, at least on my legs and probably my arms. My hands and feet are like icicles. And I will lay under LOTS of covers, with my feet-heater turned on (I have an electric blanket just for feet ), and I will bundle up, and I will FREEZE. For HOURS. Eventually, I warm up enough to sleep, and a lot of times I wake up sweaty and have to throw off blankets sometime near dawn.

It's not menopause; I'm in my mid-thirties. I've had thyroid tests in the past, and they came out OK. It's not a side effect of IP, although I do think it's gotten worse since I've started losing weight, maybe.

And it runs in the family. My mom and aunt both have this problem, to some extent, too.

So, I'm tired a lot, and I'm sure it interferes with my weight loss. And my arthritis. And my will to accomplish things, too.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #223  

Good morning everyone. I'm getting a late start to the day, but sleeping through the night and then a shower this morning sure felt good.

Cindy -- Spring will eventually make its way to you, but you've definitely had a horrific winter. Evidently the Jet Stream has divided and is on some non-typical pattern that has resulted in the horrible winter for the NE US (and SE Canada) and drought for CA. I know I'm so glad you joined our group -- and chuckled about checking in here before FB. Your Easter dinner sounds good and good move on waiting on getting the candy. I did laugh about your maybe eating the ears as my sister always would take a nibble out of each ear of my bunny growing up. Used to irritate me to no end and now it's a cherished memory.

Terra -- Just don't tell them that it's food that's also good for them. I bet your teacher and you could come up with all sorts of ideas. And then share them with us to get me out of a rut I'm in!

Tootsie and Cindy -- You're welcome to my treadmill (oh, if we all only lived closer) which has been sitting in the basement gathering dust for a couple of years. I seldom use it since I joined the gym as I use the elliptical and the treadmill there and the last thing I want to do is over exercise. (That was a little joke or some self sarcasm as over exercising is not remotely possible for me!)

Magpie -- Your being cold sounds awful and definitely not conducive to getting a good night's sleep. I was going to suggest getting a heated mattress pad, but sounds like you're already doing everything to get your limbs warmed up. You mentioned having had thyroid tests. Has the doctor done any circulatory tests? That's the only other thing I can think of. Would it help any to exercise before bed followed by a hot bath. Just wondering if there's a way to get you warmed up before bed that would help. Being tired is so debilitating -- just makes me want to sit and do nothing. But on the dieting front, do tell us more about seeing a number under 300. High five girl!

I got the grass cut yesterday although it was so long that I really should go out there and rake it today. Usually I trim every other mowing, but with the warm weather and letting it go too long, I need to trim......but probably won't! The coffee table gets a light sanding and another coat of poly today. Unfortunately, I think the top is going to require a 3rd coat. The boys play on it a lot when they're here with games and drawing so it needs some extra protection. The RV needs to be dealt with -- should have done that last week (plug it in to keep the batteries charged, get the heater going to keep it warm inside and keep the moisture under control, etc). and and and. Always plenty to keep me busy.

The water weight gain from the boys being here which evidently was more of a weight gain is slowly coming off. I need to get off another 1.6 pounds by Wednesday morning to have lost 15 in the first month of getting back on plan. Then I want to try to get to losing between 5-8 pounds a month. I definitely want to be in the Magpie, Fi, Sam, Ubee (and I hope I didn't miss anyone else!!!) club and see that first number be a 2 by the end of the year.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by betsy2013; 03-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Hi everyone.
I'm doing OK. Busy and tired. Just wanted to check in and say "Hi".
Betsy you are so close to 15 off. I am proud of you!
Mag Pie I had that but to a MUCH lesser degree. I find it improves when I avoid gluten. (However that coincides with me just eating/being healthier.) I just remembered it also got better when I added healthy fats to my diet. Just my experience...
Tootsie I love the idea of walking to the beat. What a great activity for both of you.
Terra maybe try selling it as healthy eating and not using the diet word?
Cindy I am so glad you feel so positive about our group/community. I love the fact that everyone gets being 300+ and we are all doing the best we can.
Donna I am so happy you are feeling better. Smart choice on the eggs. I suffer from severe IMPULSE CONTROL issues! I think I need to live in a healthy food bubble. I wonder if ADD meds would help???
Fi I am sending healing vibes your way.
Well I have to run. The kids have decided to stop by for supper...
Have a peaceful day.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Good suggestions, Betsy and Ubee, thanks! When I have a doctor again, I'm planning on getting a whole battery of tests. (I'm reading about fructose and insulin insensitivity, so there's all that; adding a circulatory test to the bunch shouldn't be a problem.) As far as dietary changes, IP doesn't give me a lot of room to add more fats, but I could do better at avoiding gluten (I get small doses with some of the foods, whether IP or alt; it's possible to totally avoid gluten on IP, but I haven't been; bad Magpie). My bath tub isn't great, but I might try a hot shower before bed (with a shower cap, so my hair isn't wet--that'll just make me colder). Thanks! ♥

The number on the scale was even lower this morning, and I had an extra packet yesterday (to make up for one I missed the day before) AND enough water. This could be for real!
Closed Thread