YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 12-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default Bob Greene's new program: The Best Life Diet

Bob Greene has a new book coming out on Dec 26, and I think we'll hear a lot about it. Have you heard of it?

The Best Life Diet. From Amazon:
Quote:
Divided into three phases, The Best Life Diet gives you the tools you need to change your life. In each phase, you'll be asked to reexamine the decisions you make on a daily basis and gradually alter your habits to achieve lasting results. The book also includes easy-to-follow meal plans that make it simple to meet your daily energy and nutrient requirements, whether you are on the run and breakfast means a quick smoothie or you have time to shop for fresh produce and make something special.

You'll watch the weight disappear as you learn to prepare festive and flavorful dishes like Fire-Roasted Tomato-Shrimp Veracruz, Chicken Sausage Jambalaya, or Flank Steak with Chimichurri Topping and indulge in desserts like Roasted Peaches with Ricotta and Almonds or Apple Rhubarb Walnut Crisp. And for each delicious recipe, there is a detailed nutritional analysis, so you know exactly what you are eating and how it fits into your personal eating plan.

Most important, Bob's plan doesn't end once you've lost the weight. Instead, it gives you the tools you need to make living your best life second nature, because for Greene, a diet is not something you go "on" or "off" but a set of guidelines that will help you claim the life you deserve.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have not heard of it, until now of course. Sounds like it could be quite interesting. Definitely worth looking into.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/189/140

Height: 5'1 and 1/2"

I read an article about it in the new O magazine and it sounds pretty good
IAte86Crayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #4  

I pre-ordered the Best Life Diet and the Daily Journal weeks ago. The journal arrived last Friday and has a list of goals for each phase of the diet. It also has a nice amount of space to write on the pages, unlike a lot of journals I have seen. There's also a 10-day trial offer for the best life diet website at the back of the journal. The actual diet book should arrive for me later this week. I can't wait!
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/187/150

Height: 5'2

I am in the same boat as you HoneyMist- I preordered it too and am awaiting it's arrival. Looks good!
RoseyPosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #6  
it's always something

I received my copy yesterday and am reading it now. It looks very different from other diet plans, in that it's more about habits than food. It's not going to be for someone that wants to see results right away, but it looks like a good plan for someone that prefers to ease into lifestyle changes. I hope to finish reading it this weekend.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #7  

I'll be doing the same this weekend, I got mine today. The recipe photos look delicious.
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #8  

I just received mine and am pretty shocked. It seems as though Bob is promoting the Slim Fast drink. I noticed the Slimfast ads in the new issue of "O" and that it was given the "Best Life" seal of approval. What really surprised me is that Oprah in her forward to the book says that a certain weeks worth of menu's is a full week of her menus and they surprisingly contain several Slim Fast items. I find this odd. I do not know why Oprah would endorse SlimFast and/or if she really does use Slimfast or did this as a favor for Bob. I also do not like that they specifcally name certain products that just happen to have been given Bob's "Best Life" seal of approval. I think it's cheesy. For instance, instead of just saying low-fat or fat free yogurt containing x amount of fiber, carbs, etc...Oprahs alleged menu is only Yoplait yogurt. Lots of product endorsement.
classc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:36 AM   #9  

i just started reading this book after seeing the article in O magazine. it is interesting, seems really doable. i like the fact that he spends time getting to the emotional side of being overweight and focuses on finding out what's holding you back from loosing.

i also noticed he mentions a lot of products by name. it seems to be his goal to get his seal of approval on lots of food items in the store. not just slimfast but many products with more to come.

i think i will start off the new year with phase one and really work on my exercise goals.
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #10  
it's always something

I was also surprised by the slimfast reference. I'm pretty sure Oprah has said in the past that she will not endorse products that don't pay her. Did I imagine that? Anyway, I'm sure there's some kind of deal with Bob, because it costs a fortune for companies to change their labels. There must be a big investment involved with hopes of a big payoff. I think this is totally unnecessary.

I'm also upset with the number of references in the book to the new best life website, which will cost money to join. This bothers me. If you buy the book, you shouldn't need to pay more money to join a website. Everything you need should be in the book. There is an offer in the back of the journal to get 10 days free, but it's not exactly that simple. It says your credit card will be charged when you sign up. If you cancel within 10 days you can get a full refund.

As far as the advice and plan in the book, I think it's great
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #11  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

I just read the Oprah article in the car today (I wasn't driving LOL) and thought the plan sounded good and a fit with the YOU principles as well. That's really too bad about the product endorsements. I saw the journal and book in the city this weekend and thought the journal was really nice. I didn't realize it was new. I haven't paid Bob Greene much notice in the past.

Jody - I remember you from the YOU thread as well. What are you doing now?
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #12  

hello sherri- i am still following all of the principals of the you diet, label reading is an automatic thing now. i took a break from everything during the holidays though. when i read the Oprah article it peaked my interest so i bought The Best Life Diet. i need a jump start for the new year so i am going to focus on exercising first and then food later. nice to see you again
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/187/150

Height: 5'2

Not sure about you ladies- but I am starting today. Anyone else? I love support along the way and would love to have some people who are interested in posting on a regular basis about this
RoseyPosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I bought the book and journal from Amazon and although I haven't had time to really read the book, I did skim over it pretty thoroughly. What struck me was his comments on eating whole foods. I thought a lot of it was quite similar to the SuperFoods Rx book. I am going to take time to read it more thoroughly soon, but I was a little disappointed. I was looking for something that would help spur me to lose the last few pounds to my goal, and almost all of his ideas on changing habits are things I've already done!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #15  

Hi there .... yes, I started Bob's plan on Saturday. It looks you and I have a similar amount of weight to loose--I'm 195 with a goal of 140 (should probably be lower, but we'll see how it goes). :-)

Your thoughts so far on the program?
CattyCo is offline   Reply With Quote