YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 03-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I just found this thread. I didn't buy the book (yet), but it was summarized in Oprah magazine, so I have been following phase 1, more or less, for 4 weeks. I initially was losing 1 pound/week, but then caught a nasty virus, which gave my weight loss an unplanned (but much appreciated) boost, so I'm down 7 pounds. My exercise has been off since becoming ill (lungs are still not too good), but am planning to get back into it tomorrow morning.

What I like best is the gradual makeover of your eating habits, rather than focussing too much on specific foods at first. I am a (touch wood) recovering binge eater, and I am 100% convinced that dieting leads to bingeing, at least for me. This plan doesn't feel like a diet, so I have been able to stick to it without starting down that slippery slope.

I'm not looking for a quick fix - I want to lose weight while maintain normal eating habits, and this plan lets you do that.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #92  

Mercee, Melody & Janie - I was so happy to read your posts. We can all encourage each other. Mercee, you're doing great losing 10 lbs already. Melody, sounds like you're getting an attitude change, and Janie, I'm in the same boat as you. I woke up sick Monday a.m. and have been ever since, but I'm trying to keep psyched up, and seeing some action on the board helps. Keep up the good work, you guys!
lazydazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 170/164/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Just bought the book...

Hi gals

I just bought Bob's book after reading a lot of your comments on this thread. I am only on page 13 by "reading" it, but have glanced thru it and was wondering how many of you are using the "Best Life Diet Meal Plans" on pages 164-186. Are you sticking to these meals, or are you doing your own thing? Just curious.

As I glanced thru the book, I noticed that I have kinda' been in Phase One since I started my new healthy eating plan in January. So, that is good!
I still plan to read the chapter though, in case there are facts that I don't know.

I also have Dr. Oz's book - "You On A Diet". It is very informative and interesting. I like the fact that I am educating myself on my body and how it works.

My biggest weight problem is the ugly BELLY FAT! I wouldn't look "too" bad if I didn't have that problem! LOL

I am learning that to get rid of it, I am going to have to do a lot of exercising! YUCK! Something that I don't really enjoy.
wanttoBthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #94  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

HELLO JANIE! I THINK A LOT OF US ARE TIRED OF THE QUICK FIX IDEA GOING SOUR ON US. GOOD LUCK WITH THE RECOVERY. SENDING MANY GOOD THOUGHTS YOUR WAY.

LAZY~ HOPE BY NOW YOU ARE FEELING A BIT BETTER. THE CHANGES GAVE ME A HEADACHE BUT I FEEL BETTER NOW MYSELF. HANG IN THERE!

WANTTO~ I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOUT MY BEING ON PHASE ONE ALREADY! GOOD LUCK AND NICE TO SEE YOU HERE AS WELL.

I HAVE HAD PC PROBLEMS BUT SOMEONE IS COMING TO MY RESCUE TODAY.....ACTUALLY HE IS HERE ALREADY. I THINK I WILL STAY ON PHASE ONE FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL ALSO OR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS. I LET WORK GET ME OFF SCHEDULE ALREADY BUT LOST A FEW LBS I THINK. PANTS AREN'T AS TIGHT. WATERWEIGHT LEAVING!! WISHING YOU ALL WELL THIS WEEK. LET'S STAY STRONG!!! SPRING IS COMING AND WON'T IT BE NICE TO ENTER A BRIGHT NEW SEASON WITH A GREAT SUNNY ATTITUDE!!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #95  

I saw Bob Greene on Oprah talking about this new plan and it sounded like just what I needed to motivate me. I rushed out and bought the book and read it through in a couple of nights. I have to say it sounding very healthy and doable and got me so excited I started Phase 1 the next day.

In Phase 1 you make 6 easy changes and it was no problem to stick to, but after 2 weeks I felt my clothes getting tighter so I broke the don't weigh for a month rule and I had gained 6 pounds!

I think the problem was me not the diet. Knowing that I had to stop eating 2 hours before bedtime I ate as much as I could shove in during my 3 meals and snack.

I am going to start Phase 1 again and try to do better this time.
patootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #96  
Happy September

GOOD LUCK PATOOTLES! HOPE THE NEW START WILL BE A SUCCESS.

I HAD A BIT TOO MUCH TO EAT OVER THE WEEKEND AND FELL OFF THE PLAN A BIT. SO I MIGHT BE STICKING WITH PHASE ONE FOR AN ADDED WEEK. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. I LIKE MORE STRUCTURE.
GONNA GET THIS RIGHT IF IT KILLS ME
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #97  

Hi patootle and melody25:

Don't look at it as having to start over just keep going. I honestly did phase one for 6 weeks because I needed to. I'm in phase 2 now but I take each day as it comes. I found I was putting so much pressure on myself to be perfect and do everything right. I didn't gain this weight overnight neither will I lose it overnight.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #98  
Happy September

GOOD ADVICE MERCEE. IT TOOK ME 10 YRS OF SITTING IN THIS WH.CHAIR TO GAIN IT. I NEED TO LEARN PATIENCE. I BETTER READ BOB AGAIN!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #99  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hello All,
I am well into this diet...I had read part of the book incorrectly (probably because I was eager to start)...I have been reading all the reponses and everyone seems to be losing weight but very slowly...I am wondering how steady and longstanding this will be...it all seems to be too good to be true...also I do not like the use this "name brand" stuff because it is the healthiest...I am a little leary about that as I have read that that Bob and Ophra both get big bucks for putting their names on the stuff...
Well Good Luck and Happy Dieting...
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #100  
Happy September

KIMUSH HELLO!! DID YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT WITH THIS PLAN THAT I SEE ON YOUR TICKER? EITHER WAY, CONGRATULATIONS.
I TOO AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE ADVERTISING. OR THE FACT HECHARGES MORE $$ FOR HIS FORUMS. GOTTA BE A MEMBER TO USE THEM. BRINGS TO MIND THE WORD "SCAM". BUT I DO NEED GUIDANCE IN THE HABIT FORMIONG AREA AND HE SPEAKS TO MY MIND FOR SOME REASON. THE VOICE OF TRUTH. HOPE THE REST ARE ALL DOING WELL TOO!! I WILL USE MY OPWN BRANDS AS I EAT AS MUCH ORGANIC AS POSSIBLE. SO STONYFIELD ETC ARE MY CHOICES FOR YOUGURT. I'LL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE LABELS FOR CALORIE COUNTS AND STAY WITHIN HIS GUIDELINES WHEN THE TIME COMES FOR PHASE II. HAPPY WEDNESDAY GROUP!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi all

I am turning a blind eye to all the product endorsements. I read labels, I think I can choose a low fat yoghurt without him telling me which one to eat. Because really, it's not going to make a whit of difference which brand you eat (provided, of course, that you don't go for the full-fat kinds!).

I've had a few munchie days lately, and "fallen off" the program, but am back on track today. I'm going to stay in phase 1 a little longer.

I can see how it would be very easy to gain on this program, particularly phase 1. There is not a lot of guidance re: portion size etc. I try to keep the hunger scale in mind ie. 10 is stuffed, 1 is famished. Eat when you are at about a 3, and quit when you are about a 5.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #102  

Hi all,

I also use the products I like the best. I have to watch my sugar intake I am diabetic so I buy stuff that are within the guidelines I need to follow. Actually this plan is very similar to weight watchers core plan so I guess I really still eat within those guidelines. I have to eat whole grain.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Just checking in

I've lost a few more pounds and am now a little below my WW goal. I am doing both programs. I would like to lose about 3 or 4 more pounds...would like to say five but have to see what my body says. Right now I am fighting a cold and had a fever and chills on Saturday. Just not that hungry for the last few days and am trying to stick to the hunger scale. I now weigh 132 (height 5'5"). Since the end of Sept. of last year, I have lost 12 lbs.

Hope everyone who is sick gets better and we all get happy, healthy and fit!
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #104  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey Melody,

Yes! I lost all of it with his diet...I am not very impressed with all this money making..I tend to be money conscious so I am not joining something that will cost an arm and a leg...So I took the stuff that I could live with and then played around a little...I weighed myself today and was really impressed...I have three pounds to lose and then that will be 22lbs and I am getting a hair cut...

I hate exercise, smoothies, plain water...but I am trying...but like I said I was super motivated at first...and then it was like ughhhhhh...I don't like food journals and stuff...

So to keep myself on track I write down my daily stuff on my wipe dry board on my fridge while I am cooking...

I was terrific talking with you...I am really new to chats, forums and this website (or mostly any websites)...

Take Care and good luck...
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #105  
Happy September

MUSIC I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON.
IT SEEMS LIKE WE ARE ALL DOING JUST FINE. GLAD TO HEAR ALL THE NEWS FROM YOU GALS. FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING SOME OF MICHAEL THURMOND'S 6WBMO PLAN. THAT IS HOW I LOST THE ORIGINAL 30 LBS AND HAVE KEPT MOST OF IT OFF. I STARTED OUT A WEE BIT OVER 210 AND AM NOW 184/185. I WOULD LIKE TO GET DOWN AROUND 145 BUT THE DRS ARE VERY SKEPTICAL. WE'LL SEE.

KIMUSH I AM GLAD TO HEAR YOUR LOSS WAS WITH THIS PLAN. HOPE IT WORKS FOR ME AS WELL!! NICE WORK. I LOVE SMOOTHIES MADE WITH PROTEIN POWDER. THEY GET THICK AND TASTE GOOD IF YOU ADD ENOUGH FRUIT!
I USE MEMO POST-IT NOTES TO WRITE DOWN MY FOOD. SOMETIMES I FORGET I ALREADY HAD ENOUGH!!!
GOOD LUCK GETTING TO THE 22 LB MARK!!