YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #76  

I bought this book, and spent 4 weeks on Phase 1. Here's the report:
1) For the first time in 2 years (at least) I have actually exercised regularly since starting. I rediscovered my real love for weight lifting. I remembered how to unlock my gym locker.
2) I have lost 1 pound of body weight, but I think I have lost more than 1 pound of fat, because I have "exit lines" on the parts of me that are, well, fluffy. My body type gets muscular, and I think I have grown muscles, some, and lost fat, some. I wish I had lost more weight, but anyway...
3) I like the focus on behavioral change. I like the focus on slow, permanent change. This seems true to me.
4) I am disappointed in the product endorsements. "Et tu, Bob?" Say it ain't so....

Wish me luck. I am willing to keep on being willing!
Only connect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #77  

Default bob greene the best life diet.

HI Only connect,Thanks for posting.I ditto what you have said.Thanks for sharing. I am still on phase1 I think until I get my exercise down really well,which it has got better,but until it feels like a habit a good behavioral change,I am going to stick to phase 1 alittle longer. I do notice my food and cutoff time is getting pretty regular that feels good. I hope everyone is having a great week take care kim
seabreez2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 207/205/150

Height: 5'6

What is HFCS?
Giovanni Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #79  

Mercee did you lose 36 lbs just by doing phase 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercee View Post
Hi all,

Iam still in phase 1. I will be moving to phase 2 next week. This program may be the best I have tried.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #80  

Hi all,

No I lost the other by doing weight watchers. I was at a standstill for 8 months. so I decided to try this. I was doing the core version.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #81  

Hfcs is High fructose corn syrup. I don't use products with that.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #82  

Why not; what is so bad about it?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Ready for Phase 2

I finally caved in and weighed myself and lost 4 lbs. so am ready for Phase 2.
As far as exercise go, I have pretty much been an exercise person (although there are a few days sometimes I miss). I am on level 4 and am going to keep it there. There are times when I miss a day or two of exercise and that takes me back to level 3 so I am trying to keep at level 4 and not miss any days. I really enjoyed Phase 1 because it is all about habits and that is what I need to work on still. I was going to just stay at phase 1 but I can't go without weighing myself anymore. I now am happy with my number on the scale (134 at 5'5") but not with the way my body looks, so I'm focusing on the exercise and food now. I will check in next week to see what I weigh. I'm also a Lifetime WW member and enjoy the meetings but keeping track of numbers drives me crazy...even the core plan drives me a little crazy. I really like this program but am following it along with WW. I agree with what most of you say about some of the products Bob endorses. I don't think they are all the healthiest choice.

For Giovanni Buddy, the HFCS is a form of sugar. I don't know all the science behind it, but I do know of someone who took it completely out of their diet and lost 20 lbs. in a few months! There are other yogurts without HCFS, so even if they are not recommended by Bob, I am using them instead.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #84  

Here's the most concise quote I could quickly find on the theory of why HFCS is so bad for you:

"The theory goes like this: The body processes the fructose in high fructose corn syrup differently than it does old-fashioned cane or beet sugar, which in turn alters the way metabolic-regulating hormones function. It also forces the liver to kick more fat out into the bloodstream.

The end result is that our bodies are essentially tricked into wanting to eat more and at the same time, we are storing more fat. "

From the same article:

"One of the issues is the ease with which you can consume this stuff," says Carol Porter, director of nutrition and food services at UC San Francisco. "It's not that fructose itself is so bad, but they put it in so much food that you consume so much of it without knowing it."

Also:

"Because high fructose corn syrup mixes easily, extends shelf-life and is as much as 20 percent cheaper than other sources of sugar, large-scale food manufacturers love it. It can help prevent freezer burn, so you'll find it on the labels of many frozen foods. It helps breads brown and keeps them soft, which is why hot dog buns and even English muffins hold unexpected amounts."

All excerpts from the article here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGS24VKMH1.DTL

There are a million articles out there if you Google "HFCS".

Personally, I'm in the camp that agrees that it's not so much that HFCS is evil in and of itself - it's what food manufacturers are DOING with it that's the bigger problem. They are putting this stuff in everything because it's cheap and accessible - the end result being that something like salad dressing (which, if you made your own, would likely contain little to no sugar) is stuffed to the gills with it. We're consuming it in foods that don't require it, and in quantities that were previously unheard of....that I have a problem with.

Last edited by sugarlove; 02-28-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: grammar!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #85  
szb
Suzi from NYC

S/C/G: 245/245/160

Height: 5' 4''

I read his book, have his journal. Started on it, I am just looking for some support to make it
szb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #86  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

I just got the book Friday from a friend as a BD present.
I'm reading it this week and starting Phase 1 today!!
I have already lost 30 lbs and kept most of it off so
I know my weightloss will be slow now.... but it seems Bob already made me feel OK with that!!!
I hope others will continue to post here.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #87  

Default Best Life Diet

I just bought the book and haven't finished reading it but like what I have read so far. I was browsing this site yesterday and reading all of your comments have been very encouraging to me, so I joined 3FatChicks and am going to start on this Best Life Program along with you all. So keep up the encouragement, and I'll do the same. We all deserved a "Best Life", and as Bob Greene says, "we need to claim it".

I'm ready to start Phase I.
lazydazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #88  

Default This is discouraging!

Is everyone exercising so much, they're not posting. I was anxious to hear how everyone is doing!!
lazydazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #89  

No I don't think everyone is to busy exercising this board is just dead i guess. I too was hoping for a place we could encourage each other daily but o well. I am currently in phase 2 and I have lost 10 lbs from the program. I recently discovered I have to force myself to eat breakfast because I never ate it before which is a big no no. Sometimes I'm good at it, but I plan to keep going no starting over. I hope you have a great day and I wish you the best.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #90  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Talking Glad To See Two Faces

LAZY AND MERCEE~I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE YOU BOTH! EVEN HAPPIER TO SEE MERCEE LOST 10 LBS!! WTG I AM ON WEEK ONE AND STARTED AT 187 AND I AM IN A WHEELCHAIR. JUST TURNED THE BIG 60 ON WEDNESDAY. I WOULD LIKE TO COME HERE MORE REGULARLY ALSO...
WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO GO TO MY APT AND FIX MY PC.
I CAME DOWN HERE TO THE OFFICE BUT THEY ARE FROWNING ON MY USING THEIRS!! I AM STILL READING THE BOOK AND LOVE HIS APPROACH. I NEED TO MAKE NEW HABITS THAT WILL STICK WITH ME! I ALREADY FEEL "DIFFERENT" SOMEHOW JUST READING. DOES THAT SOUND STRANGE? LOL
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote